First Clinic

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

First Clinic

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:40 pm

I just have to share my excitement that I'll be riding in my first clinic with Phoenix this weekend. She's had about 5 months off again with my school/work schedule but since I'm finally done with school and the weather is warming up I'm bringing her back into work- hopefully for good this time. I've ridden her twice in the last week, its gone *mostly* good. :lol: The clinic might be an interesting experience, but I have faith (maybe stupidly) that she'll do OK. I'm mostly worried about spooks with lots of observers since she decides to worry about a lot under saddle when she's coming back into work.... even her reflection in the mirrors :lol:
Anyway, clinician is Alyssa Doverspike and I'm really excited to get her input and suggestions for bringing a young-ish horse back into work! I'll report back after!
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Re: First Clinic

Postby Tuddy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:21 pm

OOOH! Have fun and let us know how it goes!

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:04 pm

may it go superbly!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:33 pm

Have a fantastic time! quite the milestone

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:32 am

Clinics can be so encouraging and supportive. I hope you have a great time!

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:33 pm

Good luck with the clinic! Hope she rocks it!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:00 pm

Hope you have fun, let us know how it goes!
Keep calm and canter on.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:40 am

Everything went surprisingly good! By Saturday she was really settling back into working and was pulling a lot less nonsense. No spooks or bucks and I was just so proud . She didn’t even get very upset at the chairs that “magically” appeared in the arena overnight (auditing seating).
I went to the barn late Friday night to make sure she got ridden the day before and had my fiancé walk around, open and close doors, dance like an idiot, etc to prepare her for the movement at that end of the ring the next day :lol: He was such a trooper and stayed there with me until around 11:30pm so I could get my ride in, and then cool her out properly.
Alyssa is a great teacher. She’s so positive, and explains things in a way that I can understand easily. I can’t wait to ride with her again.
We have so much to work on now. Lots and lots of serpentines, circles, and transitions to ride in our future. Also LOTS of cantering.
Day two we started our ride way better that the previous day. We even began teaching her some leg yielding... I had no idea she was ready for that and I felt so accomplished when we actually did it! :lol:
Alyssa told me she’s “not allowed any more time off” and “forget school” in a joking way and said she really hopes to see her in the next clinic too.
I had some “ah ha” moments myself on the correct use of aids. I didn’t get a lot of formal lessons in my younger years so sometimes things I SHOULD know, I don’t.
Now to carry the momentum forward, getting both of us more fit and working on everything we learned until she comes back in May!
Picture is Phoenix all dressed up waiting for her bridle on day 1 of the clinic.
I know day 2 was videoed and I hope to be able to figure out how to post some of that here when I have the video.
Attachments
1B76B77B-26D3-4542-B92D-6110584AC210.jpeg
1B76B77B-26D3-4542-B92D-6110584AC210.jpeg (122.52 KiB) Viewed 7381 times

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:47 am

Phoenix looks beautiful all fancied up. I'm glad you enjoyed the clinic. I had to google the clinician as I haven't kept up with who's who in dressage. She is quite accomplished and perfect for helping you with a young horse.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:45 pm

Congrats on a successful first clinic! I hope you can figure out how to post some video; I am no help with that, unfortunately.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:26 am

Sounds like it was terrific. Good clinics (and almost all are good) are worth every dime and ounce of effort.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”