March & April Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
exvet
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: March & April Goals and Progress

Postby exvet » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:44 pm

Well Arizona has been far wetter than a desert is supposed to be and colder! So y'all's weather has been dipping down here too. As such I haven't been able to ride as much as intended but I did get to haul out to a lesson yesterday. It was windy, cold and all the horses were ramped up and giving exciting rides. Junior was no exception but I was able to get him to pull it together and relax and work. What was nice about it, as my instructor pointed out, was that it gave us a learning opportunity to discover what works best in such moments in case it happens again (like a show or clinic). Leg yield in a circle, spiraling in and out and lots of transitions with many good boys when he just starts to give the right response/reaction definitely did the trick. We decided to work on canter and speed within the stride (of all days right?). Despite turning 5 tomorrow we ended up working on some canter halt transitions because to the right he was really responsive and giving me all the right answers to my half-halts, starting to rock back etc. To the left however because of the nemesis we have with accepting the right rein and my paresis on the right side he gave me some challenges. So to his dive, blow through the hand, etc, it was halt! and try again but in very incremental steps. This reminded me of the thread where the idea is to be clear to the horse. Junior definitely does better when exercises are broken down into increments that build upon themselves. So we did trot-halt-trot transitions until he was really receptive and accepting of the bit. Then we did quiet canter transitions and gave half-halts to moderate the speed/momentum. If he came back then I relaxed and did nothing...if he didn't then it was an immediate halt (glad I have velcro on my hiney). It only took a couple of repetitions for him to realize despite wind, popping, cracking, snapping and spooking horses, what I wanted and what he needed to do. He was exhausted at the end, not because I took the whole lesson time to get there (we ended the lesson with about 10 minutes to spare) but because he was so focused his little brain hurt but he was totally tuned into me. He figured out the rewards pretty easily and thus the concept. We rinsed and repeated enough times both directions that I think we'll be able to move on to the next lesson. What I also discovered is that he's a horse who appreciates his blanket. Because of our cooler weather, he was actually diving into his blanket when I offered it to him last night......LOL....our heritage may suggest we're from cooler climates but we both agree that we live below the mason dixon line for a reason!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:07 am

Maia's had a few weeks off due to soaked arena, travel, and work:

Ride 1: Wow! Time off isn't a bad thing for this youngster ... until we cantered :shock: :shock:
Ride 2: Huh. Time to rethink my stance on gadgets, like strong bits :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We're still living. She's a handful! Cantering is **FUN**

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:52 am

Heddy you crack me up! Glad you stayed aboard!!

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:58 pm

Ok.. I have one happy update to give on one of the gray horses in my life! My student and I were able to coordinate a maiden voyage for Charm in her new trailer. We brought him over to my barn - which is 15 mins away for a very low key work. His story has been a long, slow burn. Basically, he had some major behavioral issues that even made me afraid to swing a leg over him. She and I kept very open dialogue and I felt pretty strongly that his response was 2 parts pain, 1 part learned, so we went digging and we found kissing spines. Based on that, we implemented a longing and long lining program to 1. address his musculature over his back and 2. address behavioral issues. We followed up a while ago with a second set of rads as his top line continued to change and found that the spinal processes that were previously impinging on each other were no longer touching. So, we started to slowly re-introduce riding and as he lets go of more and more of the pain responses, he is turning into a lovely horse. I am so happy that she was fully on board with giving him the time that he needed. I'll be honest, I felt that he was not the right horse for her and was fully on board with selling him should she choose to. We had many, many conversations about how to keep both of them safe during this process.

In any case, he's been a complete wingnut in the past when moving barns, and as he got off the trailer, he was doing his best to convince me that this was a terrible idea. But, he went right to work, and didn't put a foot wrong. So, I'm shocked, and incredibly happy for my student! (also, FYI- this is my student on board so please no crits on her, she's very much still a beginner. (Posted with her permission))
IMG_7276.jpg
IMG_7276.jpg (78.81 KiB) Viewed 22257 times

IMG_7279.jpg
IMG_7279.jpg (222.9 KiB) Viewed 22257 times

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:39 pm

Anne wrote:Heddy you crack me up! Glad you stayed aboard!!

Maia's a talented goof. Just a touch of half halt, and she rebalances and bounds forward beautifully. Slightly more half halt, and, no matter how much leg, we come to a screeching halt, and she's like "what now?!"

I normally use my breathing to meter her canter to something less than mach-10, but apparently I forgot that skill during our time off :lol:

Great job on Charm's rehab, Dresseur!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:05 pm

Lovely- I thought that was you riding--- in a good way...I wish I was that good as a beginner. I don't ride that good even now.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:26 pm

Thanks Rye. She's come a long way and under difficult circumstances. We haven't had a lot of time to really focus on her because we were so focused on keeping everyone safe. And, I'll say that I do tend to stamp mini-me's as riders lol, but I learned that from Andrea - who also stamps her dedicated riders.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:29 pm

Just plodding along here. Work has been a bit nuts, family in town and less than stellar weather have made for less riding than ideal, but we are making steady if slow progress, I feel. No clinic at the end of this month, but we'll live... Looking at getting something together for mid-May when the weather is nicer and everyone has had a chance to get over their winter PTSD.

It's starting to thaw here, the birds are singing in the morning, and I'm having to pump out my run in sheds, which is really a thoroughly nasty job!

blob

Postby blob » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:56 pm

Dressuer, what a great update! Charm looks great.

Work has been exceptionally busy the last few weeks, so i've had less riding time than ideal, which is a shame, especially since we have our show coming up this weekend. I'm waiting to get ride times and am crossing my fingers for early times (so I don't have all day to sit around and be nervous!).

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:14 pm

Had some good weekend events- clinic and lessons. I'm also signed up for some stuff in the summer now. Onwards and upwards! It looks like spring is finally on its way.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:26 pm

I saw daffodil greens poking through. We have had a couple of dry days, optimism abounds so much I pulled out the clippers and gave some horses the spa treatment before we rode.

LiG

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:57 pm

in a moment of madness I signed up to ride with Dawn White-O'Connor in 3 weeks time... better get our rears in gear!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:44 pm

Moutaineer wrote:in a moment of madness I signed up to ride with Dawn White-O'Connor in 3 weeks time... better get our rears in gear!

Awesome

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:39 am

We have 4-tempis. I repeat, we have 4-tempis!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:18 am

Ponichiwa wrote:We have 4-tempis. I repeat, we have 4-tempis!

Super!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:41 pm

Ponichiwa, it is totally not a secret talent that you have. Well done, Kiwi!!!!

I am happy that Em is feeling good and strong. She was a bit foot sore last week, which makes me nervous (is she suddenly susceptible to spring grass? was it a bad trim? did she try to kill her new neighbor and bang herself up (a genuine possibility)). It could have just been the shift between super soggy and super dry. I've been just lightly hacking her and she is doing well. Today, she was *done* with the walk only routine out in the fields. So there was piaffe, there was collected canter and there was a bit slow cadenced trot (in the decent footing areas). Then she exhaled and walked happily home. The mare is back and ready for the H E A T of spring/summer! I am looking forward to getting some eyes on the ground from my more educated friend on our work.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:52 pm

Went to a show this past weekend with both of mine. It was a good learning experience. I was competing with MM at 2nd level and had RP there as a non-compete.

Some of my takeaways:

*Showing by myself was weirdly less stressful, I found myself caring less about the score and more about the ride
*I used to do 2 tests a day with MM, our 4th test of the weekend was usually our best. But now that our work is harder overall, I think I should aim for 1 test a day. She was clearly less focused and less motivated when I tacked her up a second time. I don't think it's a stamina issue, but rather that she mentally thought she was done. AT home she's never tacked up more than once in a day, so I think it was just hard for us to get back in the zone
*Last season I had a horse who was dying on me in the show ring and so even though my scores were not much better this weekend than last season's 2nd level debut, I had a horse that was trying a lot harder (except in our second test of the day sat) and the mistakes felt like purely my mistakes--things i simply didn't ride well. So that felt like a huge victory
*We had the best medium trot work we've had at a show. I wasn't really rewarded for it in the scoring, but it felt like progress
*2nd level is tough! I won 2 of my 3 classes with a 60.9 and a 61. Lots of people had a tough time getting the scores we hoped for
*RP definitely needs plenty of off property experience. He was a nervous ball, but I was happy to see that despite being truly terrified (visibly trembling), he tried really hard to listen to me both on the ground and under saddle and did not let things escalate to extreme reactions, just small ones

Some things to work on for next time:

*I really need to practice preparing for transitions during the test. I rode each movement as it came, rather than preparing for it beforehand
*One of the judges commented that MM has very active hocks but they don't come under her as much as they could/should. I know this, but it's a good reminder to practice not only getting more sit behind, but also getting her stride under and not just move her legs up and down.
*RP needs more bend in the canter and more understanding of a half halt. I think when I have these things I will feel prepared to deal with him being a nervous during a show. But right now, I need more tools in the toolbox

And some pictures for fun! Sorry for the terrible quality!

20190323_215151.jpg
20190323_215151.jpg (127.15 KiB) Viewed 21873 times

20190323_215326.jpg
20190323_215326.jpg (240.86 KiB) Viewed 21857 times

20190323_215020.jpg
20190323_215020.jpg (207.03 KiB) Viewed 21873 times
Last edited by blob on Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:43 pm

Ponichiwa I'm jealous! Congratulations on the tempis!!

Blob which show were you at? I'm in GA too but have not been to a recognized dressage show in many years now. I don't recognize the arena. Nice pics! I think we all are always working on engagement, I know I am.

I'm with exvet, I am just hoping to ride consistently. Seems like lately (after the Cedar clinic) something has come up often to keep me from working horses. Sigh I have ridden just a bit on Rip and have to say I am feeling now how much stronger Rip is getting even with the inconsistent work. Rode yesterday and was doing WT transitions in HI and it is easy now for him. When I first tried the transitions in lateral work other than SI it was quite difficult. Showing up as well how much more engaged he is in how much better his HP is. Yesterday was a fun ride in the field where every question I was asking he was answering without much issue. Going to try changes again I hope sometime this week new way that Cedar has recommended. Will report back. I had just watched Rip easily flip changes in the field cantering up to the gate the other day.

Doing a bit with Joplin and Gaila but need to do more. Family obligations and farm obligations is getting in the way. We worked all day Saturday here spring cleaning fields and lawn setting up for spring here.

Going to audit the Cavalia couple in SC in April and also going to audit Jeremy Steinberg later in April at Shannondale Farm, then hosting Jillian Kreinbring in May for biomechanics lecture/lessons and Cedar in June. Also planning a Portugal trip in September to ride with the Valenca's. Lots to look forward to with horses.

Hope spring comes to those of you still dealing with nasty winter weather soon. I know you guys need a break.

Happy riding all!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:22 am

Blob, I think you had a really useful/helpful outing! Well done :D And there is so much to like about you and your mare. I do think figuring out the prep/number of tests is tricky and just takes trial and error.

khall, I am considering auditing Jeremy for one of the days---I will let you know if I do that, as it would be lovely to meet you in person. I find Jerme very clarifying. :D

On riding consistently, I will just challenge folks given that I get the rides in each week:
I have a not trivial day job with a 45 minute commute each way.
My commute to the barn 30-35 minutes (depending on from home or work).
The commute home from the barn is 30 minutes.
The real secret is that I have only 1 horse and my aging family are far far away.

However, my gardens at home are a mess because I ride too much! :lol: I'm also totally committed to upping my fitness and that is more time and some commuting.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:09 pm

Congrats Blob and nice pics. I too find showing alone less stressful and oddly cathartic in many ways. Junior and I will be heading to a show in just a few weeks to try first level. He's starting to figure out engagement and that he has power that comes from his hind end instead of just trying to use his under neck.

I have a lesson later today and hope to get another one in on Thursday. Developing that power and fine tuning his gears within the gaits will be the continued focus.

On the challenge of riding consistently.......I'm sorry but I've paid my dues over and over and over. It is much easier with just one horse for competitive purposes but I do have others to ride. Juggling jobs and family is still a struggle as it is for all people. I have always been dedicated to my riding and to my horses. Now that I'm much older the juggling act has only changed in focus on parents as opposed to kids but the pull on my time is still the same. I just don't have the 'need' to care what other's think of my riding or my commitment to riding. Without a stallion to campaign and no foals on the ground or coming, I compete purely for me. I ride for me and to give my horses exercise and interaction. We all have hurdles to manage. I don't think anyone's is greater or worse than any others'. Jobs, commuting, personal responsibilities outside of horses - it just makes all of us horse people a bit crazy to fit it all in but at least our therapy (horses) is less destructive than some other's methods of coping with life. I'll continue to try to ride at least 4 times a week. If I get lucky to throw in 5 days a week here and there......well bonus. I don't believe my horses are suffering and I don't think it's slowing down my progress. As Junior (hopefully) moves up the levels I'll probably make sure he's worked 5 days a week but I'll probably just add a day of in hand work. My job is physically demanding and has taken its toll. I run and work out regularly which isn't hard to fit in these days. I think I am better at balancing it all now. I will no longer beat up my body to fit in the absolute 6 days a week. I simply cannot do it to myself anymore. I got a message from my old German coach. It looks like I'll have some opportunities to ride with her again in the coming year. Perhaps she'll help inspire me to do more.........with my riding that is but I think quality over quantity is going to be the overall attitude. Hopefully that will help me keep going and attain a few more goals before completely wear out.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:30 pm

My horses had their spring blood draw, vaccination and dental work this week. I always only do light work to allow a proper immune response so the horses got to enjoy the fairly pleasant spring weather with lots of hacking.

On a positive note they flexed well and showed no neurological deficits.

I am still not reliable with single flying change so trying to get a 3rd level test this season may be unachievable, but I am not giving it up yet.

I'm trying to decide if I want to change Titans name. It something I generally dont do, but he doesnt seem to recognize the name particularly.

On a personal note, I signed up with a personal trainer but I dont think we suit. I'm going to use finances as an excuse not to renew. I told him about my injury what needs strengthening and what I cannot do , in all of our sessions he has never addressed any of it.

Anyway. That's my whine for the week.

I am impressed with the progress. I need some of Ponichiwas skill.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:02 pm

I haven't posted in awhile, but I have been riding 2-3 times a week, both horses so there's that at least.

Tio finally got his shoes put on and is deliriously happy about it. He immediately went tearing around the entire 12 acre pasture he was so happy. :D He's been pretty good under saddle given that it's Spring, he now has shoes and it's not snowing anymore. Last night, I even sucked it up and cantered around the arena, doing multiple t-c-t transitions. Pleased with myself and him.

Rudy, once he agrees to stay in front of my legs, has been pure joy to ride. One session I got a flying change in each direction :mrgreen: and last night I got a true medium trot! As in, big power behind, big lift of shoulders and real live reach with front legs. I know for sure he wasn't bracing his neck because when I looked down, the muscles in front of his withers were freakin huge! The only downside was that I could only do a few strides before my back said "no", but holy cow did it feel good! Btw, to get him forward, i have been doing a gazillion transitions in all 3 gaits.

Blob, you and your horse look wonderful. Congrats on 4 tempis Ponichiwa. Pf, I admire your ambition, and while I'm always up for a challenge, I think I'll sit this one out for now. ;) Keep up the good work Chisamba--I'm right there with you on Rudy.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:07 pm

Just to let folks know that while my horse remains his hyper-alert self, he is more or less adjusting to his new home and has been pretty quiet and rideable. A little humpy-back for the first few minutes of a ride, but settles pretty quickly. I think it also may have helped that I brought out my boom box and put on some classical music, which I had playing all the time at his old barn. Weather has been such that I have not yet been able to experiment with "let's learn to be a trail horse, even though we never would do it before." DST has helped, I'm sure; courting Tom Turkeys not so much! I've only had to tranq him once in the past two weeks and rode last Saturday with an audience of two does and two fawns sunning themselves next to the arena. As long as they don't "bound," he's cool with them walking/grazing/napping. It was very tranquil, and I enjoyed the walking ride, subconsciously praying that the turkeys wouldn't show up! The indoor is good footing and well lighted, but it was POURING last night and just generally miserable, so I skipped the ride, but will ride tonight, and we'll see how a skipped day affects him.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:16 am

Trust me, I don't mean my comments as a challenge! You all are such a dedicated group. I am sometimes frustrated by a few barn mates who wonder at "how good" my horse is and do not make the connection between consistent work/training and behavior/performance. I have put a lot of hours in the "good mare" bank. BUT--besides having only 1 horse, I also board at a good place (where things are handled) and live in the south---where it is truly possible to ride outside year round. I do not have the cold/wind/ice/snow of many of you. I would need a serious indoor and possibly heat to do so!

Sue, those are some great rides! I am still at the point of having to look at Emi's newer big trot in the mirror and making sure it is real! It is a lot more for me to sit, so that is a one sign, but I am not getting it every time. Tonight we had some decent trot and much nicer left canter. I find myself reviewing very basic things (like spiral in and out at trot and canter) while expecting greater straightness and self-carriage. Her motor/reactivity remains intact, but I am getting in touch with how much more consistent my left leg needs to be (it is my weak leg) in order to truly be through a soft left rein.

Hots4S, hope tomorrow is a good day. Sometimes I go through my mind imagining how it would be to only walk my horse (due to health--hers or mine). For us, I'd still enjoy it. But a lot of that is because she would.

Chisamba, if he and you don't love the name, I'd change or evolve it. Could you distort it Tanner or something you like? Or, Titan refers to honor/the honorable. Maybe you could shift to a synonym.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:50 am

Hot4Spots wrote:Just to let folks know that while my horse remains his hyper-alert self, he is more or less adjusting to his new home and has been pretty quiet and rideable. A little humpy-back for the first few minutes of a ride, but settles pretty quickly. I think it also may have helped that I brought out my boom box and put on some classical music, which I had playing all the time at his old barn. Weather has been such that I have not yet been able to experiment with "let's learn to be a trail horse, even though we never would do it before." DST has helped, I'm sure; courting Tom Turkeys not so much! I've only had to tranq him once in the past two weeks and rode last Saturday with an audience of two does and two fawns sunning themselves next to the arena. As long as they don't "bound," he's cool with them walking/grazing/napping. It was very tranquil, and I enjoyed the walking ride, subconsciously praying that the turkeys wouldn't show up! The indoor is good footing and well lighted, but it was POURING last night and just generally miserable, so I skipped the ride, but will ride tonight, and we'll see how a skipped day affects him.

I've been following your posts, and I'm very glad to read that your horse is adjusting better to his now home and that you are able to ride safely. :)

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:14 pm

Piedmont.....I totally get the head-shaking when others exclaim how 'lucky' one is to own such a 'well-behaved', sound or all-round nice horse as if it was a 'gift from God so-to-speak' and the heavens are shining down to show just how 'lucky' we are. LOL on the one hand I do consider myself very lucky but on the other hand I delivered the one I have now and have spent every moment making sure he knows exactly what is acceptable and what isn't. I have also spent (not as much time and energy as I did with the others but far more than most people do in general) miles and hours on exposure to all sorts of things so that he remains accepting of new things. People often repeatedly express how lucky I am to have horses that load so easily and stand tied to the trailer as if they came from the womb that way.........no, I just know how to teach a horse how to load and how to stand. I would far, far, far rather take a blank slate and introduce these things to them because it is easier in the long run but the hours and forethought in setting it up was still expended to get 'here'. When I compare them to the more 'difficult' horses they have I see nice horses that are just spoiled, quite frankly, under exposed or in the hands of those who simply do not understand how to train and/or have little knowledge of horse body language. Now having said that I am well aware of the many challenges that exist with horses who come trained (incorrectly) by others and having to crack that nut. I respect those who knowingly or unknowingly took on those challenges and are finding the road to training a horse to react differently frustrating...................................but that still doesn't erase the hours spent successfully teaching my horse(s) to behave properly or more importantly to always remember that I'm the boss mare <PERIOD>.
While I do emphasize hours I think consistency is more of the key to the horse. I think making the same demands/expectations clear every time you interact with the horse even if it's only 2 days a week, will get once much farther (assuming it's correct training) than if you're inconsistent or all over the place with your interactions 5 days a week. Quality over quantity but will agree that quality once a month probably won't allow one to progress very quickly if at all. Then of course there's the building of strength and stamina or conditioning - that is a whole other kettle of fish in time commitment.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:34 pm

Hooray for 4 tempis Ponichiwa!

You and your mare look lovely blob, sounds like you had a good show and took away some things to work on for the next time, so I'd say success!

Very glad to hear your boy is settling in and somewhat down Hot4Spots, it's really tough when they're so anxious and up that they don't really think just react.

Pal is going quite nicely at the moment, really some of the best work I've ever gotten with her. Getting going with some weekly lessons too so I'm excited about that. She generally starts out less nice especially when it's time to pick up the reins but once she gets moving then things tend to work themselves out. We're focusing on "light and fluffy" lots of forward cantering in more of a half seat to start with and then lots of direction changes, transitions, and adding lateral work back in. I was worried when I started trying to add more difficult work and contact back in the balk monster would return but so far so good.. as long as I remember to be light and fluffy with short precise aids making sure my contact is there but light and never a holding/restricting feeling. Everything at the moment is about variety and making sure she doesn't feel restricted whatsoever. She's so much fun when she decides to work with me.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:13 am

Good job Ponichiwa! That's a big deal!

H4S, I'm glad Mark is settling down.

Pal, glad things are going well for you.

Has anyone seen my Mojo? I've apparently left it somewhere and I'd like it back... preferably before I go make a fool of myself in a clinic I am in no way prepared for.

Actually, I did have a rather good ride on Laddie this afternoon--very soft and swingy, good energy, and I have a lesson tomorrow, which I am looking forward to.

But then I got home to a very grumpy old Appy who wasn't planning on my catching him to apply more gunk to his butt and who has worked out that if he swings said butt at me threateningly enough, I'm not going to get into too much of a discussion with him. I'm not planning to die trying to treat him, and next time I manage to get a halter on him, it's staying on.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:46 pm

Mark has never kicked, but he was a master of "butt to your face" when the old BO approached with paste wormer. He had to send his wife or DIL to catch him. Drove him crazy, because once Mark was caught, he would very politely accept the wormer - no pulling away, no raised head, just
"you got me, sigh."

Last night was a major turkey invasion - LOTS of Toms, puffing their chests and gobbling loudly. They even were wandering into/through the arena. Mark was a bit "walking on eggshells," but he behaved. Another boarder who has a been-there, done-that unreg. TB periodically herded out the ones that kept wandering into the arena.
Last edited by Hot4Spots on Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:39 pm

H4S, I'm very careful because he has kicked me in the past. It's no idle threat, unfortunately.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:49 pm

Houston we no longer have a problem! Well at least one seems to be improving/lessening. I took another lesson today and we definitely have gears within the canter! It is such a relief when the light bulb goes off and no more flickers/dimmers/wishes it were true. Oh and another bonus for me today is that I have my stinker pony back home with me. My daughter is shipping the stallion East so stinker's services are no longer needed at my other place. He's a woolly beast but still my cutie patootie. I'm hoping he'll put a little cap on the growing bully 'tude' that Junior has developed towards other horses. If anybody can do it, the stinker can.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:13 pm

Moutaineer wrote:H4S, I'm very careful because he has kicked me in the past. It's no idle threat, unfortunately.

Stay safe and cautious! I have a perpetually wonky hip thanks to a perfectly placed hoof.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:20 pm

Moutaineer wrote:H4S, I'm very careful because he has kicked me in the past. It's no idle threat, unfortunately.

I had one like that. I understand your caution. He once shattered the handle of a broom I was holding when I asked him to move his very large spotted butt over. We had a serious conversation in the roundpen after that. He never did it again. I had owned him for less than six months at the time and we were still getting to know each other, but still!! In the long run, he turned out to be more of a "just leave me alone" horse than actively aggressive.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:20 pm

The interesting thing about horses and manners, I have the sweetest horse owner in my barn. It doesn't matter how well trained her horse is, when she gets it, within months it's the rudest horse in the barn.

Something about choochie cooing and being amused by manners instead of correcting them is problematic. Yes it takes work to have well mannered horses, and honestly every time you interact , you are teaching. Whether intentionally or not.

That said, last two days I've been really focused on the changes. I am determined.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:10 pm

Chisamba wrote:The interesting thing about horses and manners, I have the sweetest horse owner in my barn. It doesn't matter how well trained her horse is, when she gets it, within months it's the rudest horse in the barn.

Something about choochie cooing and being amused by manners instead of correcting them is problematic. Yes it takes work to have well mannered horses, and honestly every time you interact , you are teaching. Whether intentionally or not.

That said, last two days I've been really focused on the changes. I am determined.

One of the few things I do well is ground work with horses and by that I also mean instilling good manners. I'm pretty strict about what I allow and don't allow and am then VERY consistent about that boundary. Horse are just too big to be ill-mannered. Also, my horses get to spend 23 hours out of the day just being a horse, for the 1 hour that I'm working with them, I expect them to pay attention.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:53 am

You are all welcome to come and instill perfect manners in Walker, especially if he knows you are catching him to hurt him..

I've had him a long time. He came to me with a difficult history, we've been there, done that, but he's one that you never, ever let your guard down around, and never, ever get in a confrontation with.

He was as good as gold this evening.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:15 am

I am glad Walker was good for his tending!

Your stories about him remind me of an Appy eventer I rode years ago. His owner said, "you can pick the pace or the gait, but not both." :lol:

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:47 am

Hey Khall, I've just finished a 4 day clinic with the Valenca's! With Sophia Valenca and Goncalo Linhas. It was really good! I'd love to know when you are going in Sept - not sure if I'll make it to Portugal this year, but I wouldn't mind trying to go.
I've trained Norsey really well to do late changes :roll: but they helped me with what to work on with him and with Ding. It's good to get some lessons in, now that I'm not getting regular ones because I get a bit complacent on my own. I lose the intensity.

Nice pics Blob! Looking really good in those pics. Hot4spots, glad yours is settling in his new home, it's stressful when they aren't settled.
Pics at the clinic:
Ding1.jpg
Ding1.jpg (85.68 KiB) Viewed 21600 times

Norsey1.jpg
Norsey1.jpg (102.6 KiB) Viewed 21600 times

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:52 am

Moutaineer wrote:You are all welcome to come and instill perfect manners in Walker, especially if he knows you are catching him to hurt him..

I've had him a long time. He came to me with a difficult history, we've been there, done that, but he's one that you never, ever let your guard down around, and never, ever get in a confrontation with.

It took me a long time to realize it, but sometimes it just goes a lot better for both parties when we drop the master-slave mentality and just learn how to get along with them.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:26 pm

Moutaineer wrote:You are all welcome to come and instill perfect manners in Walker, especially if he knows you are catching him to hurt him..

My comments weren't directed at you, but rather an agreement with Chisamba and the lady she knows who's horses always end up a little pushy on the ground even if they come well behaved.

Sorry if it came off as presumptuous about Walker, definitely not my intention. I've known horses like him that you can never let your guard down against, they'll always be that way. Even if you manage behavior well, you have to watch your back or you might end up kicked or bit or something else. I think often these horses have ALWAYS been the dominant ones among other horses, so it's a hard dynamic to handle.

Flight, clinic pictures look great! Sounds like a really rewarding experience overall. I'd love to hear more about what you worked on with norsey to help with his late changes.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:25 pm

It feels awesome to be back in action! :)
Spring!
I have the good update that my walk half passes are no longer on the struggle bus. I used to feel there was a stickiness and I could have bend but not sideways, or sideways but not bend, and I got tired of praying for it to work! I credit my work on TOH and outside rein stability with this new flow, and I'm carrying a whip now (I didn't get to do much advanced stuff this winter in survival mode but it paid off).

It was interesting that have not until now (7 years) needed to carry a whip or spurs.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:28 pm

Actually my comments were referencing exvet etc, not walker.

Horses being treated for injury dont always know you are trying to help them, they just know it hurts.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:00 am

Understood, Chisamba and Blob. I'm cranky and overtired and we had another foot of snow overnight last night.

On the consistency thing, I had a conversation with my trainer about this very thing yesterday. She praised me for doing my homework and how much improvement I've made recently. I said that while I was pleased she was seeing progress, I was frustrated/embarrassed with how little riding I'd been getting in, with real life intervening and all. Her thought was that she would rather see fewer, higher quality rides than just "rides." So, on the whole I feel less defeated by dressage at the moment.

blob

Postby blob » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:29 pm

Chisamba wrote:

Horses being treated for injury dont always know you are trying to help them, they just know it hurts.

These are some of the hardest moments with animals. You can't explain to them that you are cleaning out their wound because it's for their own good. Instead, you are just doing something that is painful. There are a million other examples of this (giving medicine, no turnout, etc, etc, etc). Dealing with an injured animal often puts me at my lowest because it often means the majority of my interactions with my horse are ones that are unpleasant for it at the time.

Ugh, sorry for more snow, Mountaineer. Surely you've earned spring by now.
So glad you're back in action, Ryeissa and great news on walk HP.

Taking MM out to school at a nearby cross country course with a friend today, they're hosting a 'hunter pace'. I couldn't be more excited to get her out of the arena. I dont' plan on doing many jumps, but some big open spaces to do big happy canters in will do us both a world of good. I'm also planning on foolishly trying to break in a new pair of boots during this outing...let's see how much i regret this decision. I figure 8 miles is probably a good breaking in. But I might also lose feeling of my feet, ha.

Meanwhile, RP got some hoof on hoof action during some active pasture play and has a cracked hoof as a result. He seemed sound on it last night. But I'll watch it closely over the next few days to make sure it's ok. I've never seen anything like it happen before. Have any of you? What do you do for a crack in the middle of the hoof? Try to seal it with something to avoid infection? or just leave it?

but it appears to be superficial, hard to tell entirely, but he's far from stoic, so if he's not showing signs of pain that has to be a good thing.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:19 pm

Update: I have been needing to HH Riot in the lengthenings and as of this month we can do a full line with no babysitting HH. Yay!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:39 pm

Hey, I got to ride yesterday for the first time since October! A barnmate asked me to ride her gelding a couple times while she's out of town. He's a steady teenaged guy, and it was fun riding his big gaits. I was crammed into a too-small saddle and forgot my boots, so I rode in Danskos, but it felt SO good to be back in the saddle. Today I'll ride in my own saddle and remember my boots!
Keep calm and canter on.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:20 pm

horray!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:35 am

Moutaineer wrote:Her thought was that she would rather see fewer, higher quality rides than just "rides." So, on the whole I feel less defeated by dressage at the moment.

I just had this lesson from a dear friend today (who is way beyond me in understanding). Well done!

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:52 am

I enjoy keeping up with everyone. Those of you lucky enough to ride look maahvelous.

Kyra has had hardly anything done with her. While rehabbing my back, I apparently blew out the tendons in the side of my left foot (already did that on the right) and walking around on frozen or muddy ground has been teeth gritting enterprise. I just have a terrible time on the uneven ground, was having trouble getting through my shifts at work and the last time I rode, it hurt a lot. SO...I think I am right up there with Shirrine and am having yet another surgery. The surgeon that did my other foot has retired and this surgeon is going to do some major bony re-arrangement to actually correct the alignment of that foot and he will have to repair the tendons too. I will be non-weight bearing for 6 weeks then spend the next six convincing that foot it can function again.

Kyra will sit some more. I do have a couple competent teenagers at the barn that I am going to try and get to at least lightly lunge her a couple time a week.
Hopefully, by July I can get back to giving riding another try. I also plan on retiring in July( :mrgreen: happy dance). If for whatever reason riding doesn't work for me, she will be for sale. She has sat the better part of 4 years and she is too nice to not be used. I considered selling her this spring but decided that when I retire and can get my body healed up better (hopefully not doing the daily work grind on hard concrete floors will help a lot), if I had sold her I would be royally pissed with myself so she gets to continue her long term vacation.

At least I can ride vicariously through the BB and keep up on everyone's progress.

Happy riding.
Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

khall

Postby khall » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:48 pm

SF that's great you are able to ride!
Moutaineer I fully agree with your instructor, quality rides are great and sounds like you are progressing. Cedar told me she saw positive changes in all of my horses this last clinic even though I had not been able to work them as much as I hope (and still having issues, was in ER most of day Friday with my father) but I am pleased when I do work them. I see progress all the time. Yesterday rode Rip, I'm trying to shift SW to US so was playing with it a bit but ended up getting true piaffe instead. Not much and definitely needs work, but that was the first time to feel that US. Have been getting it in hand. We just keep adding in pieces to the puzzle. Don't know if we will ever put it all together for a complete puzzle but it is fun working on the pieces.

Susan sorry about you having to go back under the knife. Hopefully you will come back on the other side in much better shape and won't have to sell Kyra.

Rye putting on spurs helped Rip with lateral work and definitely his HP.

Piedmont we are going 4-20 to the Jeremy S clinic to audit for the day. (unless something goes sideways here)

I'm trying to keep it all going. If I had just one or even 2 horses I'm pretty sure I could keep them going well enough. I do agree with what chisamba said on another thread about with the less enthusiastic horses keeping them fitter helps with the energy. I do feel that with Rip, so try to cross train with trot sets etc. It's that 3rd horse (and really I have 4 rideable horses) that is the kicker. Poor Gaila just gets the back burner too often. It's a shame, she is a nice horse with good basic training. I wished I had someone who would lease her. I should sell her but I suck at selling horses.

Flight we (3 of us here from GA) are planning on going to Portugal 9-1 arrive 9-2. Take the day to recover, staying until 9-9. We are doing the Valenca method week and adding in a day to visit the Portuguese riding school. We are all just stoked to go, had so much fun in Spain and have heard awesome stuff re the Valenca school.

Return to “Dressage Training”