Let's sweat some! July/August goals and progress thread

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Sue B
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Let's sweat some! July/August goals and progress thread

Postby Sue B » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:54 pm

Chantal, I still have my KN but it's 30 years old. You can try it if you like. As I recall, it's a medium tree, 17.5" seat. Haven't rode in it since Scotty died, so like 6 years.

Patting myself on the back today because I did load up Tio and take him to ride at another arena despite it being 97* there. Tio was very excited to see all the horses (all in their pens, no one riding) there, especially all the foals and their mamas. I hand walked him until he started lowering his head some and then I worked at the mounting block until he could stand relaxed. I didn't want to muck up her arena with lunging and I wanted to see if things would still be okay if I hopped on without lunging. He did great! very excited but also very responsive to my aids and there was absolutely ZERO balking or other silliness. :D :D

blob

Postby blob » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:11 pm

Sigh, MM's saddle finally came and I did not like it at all. I've paid a deposit on it to have it made, so the fitter is going to try to make it work with some adjustments. The blocks were in an entirely wrong place for my leg and the balance of the saddle pitched me forward. So, she's taken the saddle back in hopes of fixing those two things. SIGH.

Meanwhile, RP is going through a rough several rides. I can't tell how much is the gassiness (which is still there, we are trying adding/removing things one by one) and how much is training/behavioral. But he really is like that nursey rhyme about the girl with the curl in the middle of her forehead. When he is good, he is very very good. And when he is bad, he is horrid. And of course this downslide coming right after i signed him up for his first show. Oy. But it's hard to predict where he'll be in next week or even tomorrow.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:24 pm

blob wrote:Sigh, MM's saddle finally came and I did not like it at all.
What kind did you get? Anytime we special order, it's a big risk. My new one came in about a month ago. It was a compromise for me in order to fit the horse. I will say that usually a new saddle feels odd at first when you've been used to riding in something different. Perhaps you will grow to like it.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:31 pm

musical comedy wrote:
blob wrote:Sigh, MM's saddle finally came and I did not like it at all.
What kind did you get? Anytime we special order, it's a big risk. My new one came in about a month ago. It was a compromise for me in order to fit the horse. I will say that usually a new saddle feels odd at first when you've been used to riding in something different. Perhaps you will grow to like it.

Yes, I'm optimistic that once they fix the balance and the thighblocks (which were angled for a much longer leg than I have), i will probably learn to like it or at least be able to tolerate it. I suspect it will be a bit of a compromise saddle for me too.

It's a Frank Baines Omni. And yes, definitely a risk to special order. Keeping my fingers crossed for next time.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:09 pm

I hope the saddle alterations help, Blob. That is really kind of a bummer. I got off way too easy with my saddle switch. Be safe with RP and hope you get him sorted.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:37 pm

This has been a good week for me. Working on flying changes revealed some foundational weaknesses that I went back to improve.

The focus on these has really improved everything.

Excalibur is starting to naturally relax through his topline and carry his head in a more naturally forward position.

Deneb came in with scrapes on her hind legs and swollen bruising. I have been mostly working at the walk to help circulate the blood and ease the swelling and of course cold hosing.

Sunstorm is doing a jumper show today, just a little schooling, to get him out and check his attitude away from home.

I may try get a photo

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:39 am

Thought I'd share some vid, I'm happy for people to make comments/judgements.This is more for me to hopefully look back on and see improvement.
I will say the weather has been very cold and windy, and Norsey did well even though he really wanted to keep spooking at my next door neighbours junk piles that kept flapping tin and bits of timber at him, and the cow was ripping apart some old shadecloth in there for some reason.

We still have late L to R changes, I'm not panicking quite yet as we seemed to have fixed the R to L and only occasionally get a a late one that side now. I have been working on him staying calm, trying not to anticipate and run off. I have nearly fallen off so many times that he now has gotten used to me landing on his neck or off to the side. Before it used to scare him, me trying to hang on and get my bum back in the saddle!
His lengthened trot is starting to get less wheelbarrow like. I have to ask for less to keep him more balanced I think.

https://youtu.be/LLazuAtdO5s

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:26 am

Flight, looks to me like he's just trying to puzzle out where all his body parts need to go in the FC, and he'll get it in time.

We have "those neighbors" at the barn, too. I guess it's good training, but the piles of flapping trash, loud music, horses being chased by dogs, and the other night a horrific dog fight that didn't end well get a bit old at times. One of my barn buddies took a hard fall because of their idiocy last weekend.

Laddie looked really good on the longe this afternoon--tracking up way better and no toe-dragging. Tomorrow I can get on and see how things really feel. With luck, we can get back to work and start making some serious progress,

If he feels as good as I think he might tomorrow, I'm trying to decide whether to try and do a late entry for a local show next weekend and see if we can knock off that last second level score. Otherwise I have to wait three weeks and drive an hour and half out into the scorching desert for our next, and last, opportunity for a qualifying score. Neither of us enjoy that kind of heat nowadays, but maybe next weekend is too soon?

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:51 pm

Flight wrote:Thought I'd share some vid, I'm happy for people to make comments/judgements.This is more for me to hopefully look back on and see improvement.
I will say the weather has been very cold and windy, and Norsey did well even though he really wanted to keep spooking at my next door neighbours junk piles that kept flapping tin and bits of timber at him, and the cow was ripping apart some old shadecloth in there for some reason.

We still have late L to R changes, I'm not panicking quite yet as we seemed to have fixed the R to L and only occasionally get a a late one that side now. I have been working on him staying calm, trying not to anticipate and run off. I have nearly fallen off so many times that he now has gotten used to me landing on his neck or off to the side. Before it used to scare him, me trying to hang on and get my bum back in the saddle!
His lengthened trot is starting to get less wheelbarrow like. I have to ask for less to keep him more balanced I think.

https://youtu.be/LLazuAtdO5s

Norsey looks like the type of fellow who easily gets slow behind. He seems to be naturally more proprioception in front. If I were working with you I would suggest a bit of quick quick lateral steps in canter or medium canter on the half circle before the diagonal to the change. That said, you do progress your horses marvelously, so if it doesnt make sense just ignore my suggestion

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:02 pm

Phew! It's just too hot. I rode briefly Friday, took off up North to hike yesterday (literally a 40 degree difference in just 90 minutes) and rode very briefly today. I'm taking off for Minnesota for a few days come Wednesday so for now I hope to just get everyone through this heat and hopefully sustain what progress we've made. The summer is definitely upon us now.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:36 pm

Awesome updates from so many people! For those still in the soup, hang in there!
Flight, I echo what Chisamba said. And, especially on that L-R, he seems to get a bit slower and a bit more out behind/takes bigger steps behind. But, at least in the sequence that you showed... he did a lovely change, and then you dumped him on his head in the reward and never really got the canter quality back, so he also noticeably pushes through the bridle a bit more on that side. Rewarding is great - but if you're sacrificing the canter quality while you're doing changes - you have to either transition or get the canter quality back in the canter. In any case, with the shoulders, you may have to check him back more on that side, or between your changes, try to do a few quick collected steps, or quick lateral steps. I've done demi volte in haunches-in at canter to hp to change with great success on a horse that changed similarly to Norsey. It quickened him up and held the shoulders back. The rest of the work is coming along nicely! I had to chuckle at the little spook in the trot work.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:53 pm

exvet wrote:Chantal - No, I sold all 3 of my KNs to a good friend, another welsh cob breeder. I have two Albion SLKs. One was fitted for my stallion and it fits Junior to a "T" as well. My expectation is that I will have to get it reflocked/fitted to Junior in another year because I see his back already beginning to change. Now that he's discovered lift through the withers and is building muscle in front of his withers, I am sure I will have to either widen this one if possible or buy a 'new to me' one. Both the Albion SLK and KN fit me well but I had to go Albion for Junior because of his shorter back.

Interesting. I don't think my KN is too long for Mikey, but it's a 1991 so I would want a newer one. Thanks Sue B. for offereing. Albions are too wide for me, at least the ones I've tried. I've been told over and over again that they don't have narrow twists. Have you ever come across one with a narrow twist?

I have a couple of options, but would like to get mine looked at for him. Haven't done that in all my saddle shopping as I've ridden in so many saddles that have "worked" for a short time then not.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:53 am

Chantal - FWIW regarding Albions I find the old styles and the SLs & SLKs to have a narrower twist. I cannot ride in the legends, comfort or other models.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:58 am

Good to hear everyone's updates.

Flight, thanks for sharing video. Norsey looks like he's coming along nicely. His L to R change is similar to MM's L to R change--so much jump with the shoulder that the hind end has no choice but to follow as if jumping an invisible cross-rail. I know some trainers like to reframe this as 'early in front' rather than 'late behind' because with some horses it's probably more about them waiting in front than needing to quicken the hind. I think with MM it's definitely about getting the quicker hind-end, but I wonder if the 'early in front' thinking might be useful for Norsey.

Chisamba, your thoughts for Flight, are probably very useful for me!

Had a really good lesson on MM this morning. I've been breaking up our rides more the last couple weeks, which I think has helped--more days riding in the pasture, more days doing very different things. Today she came into the lesson ready to work from the get-go. I still need a lot of work on my own precision--it's too easy for me to lose my confidence with the work these days and either second guess/over think my aids or panic and lose any sense of finesse. But when MM is moving well and responsive, it makes it much easier for me.

RP is still terribly gasy and bloated. I thought it might have been the newer shipment of alfalfa which looked greener than normal, but we pulled that for several days and there was no difference.I've also ordered some psyllium for him, which might at least help make him more comfortable. It's also that weird place where, yes, I recognize he definitely has more gas than normal, but i'm not sure if his not wanting to go forward is due to stomach discomfort (like it originally seemed) or if it's behavioral, or both? Hopefully I can figure it out this week.
Last edited by blob on Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:01 am

Chisamba wrote:Norsey looks like the type of fellow who easily gets slow behind. He seems to be naturally more proprioception in front. If I were working with you I would suggest a bit of quick quick lateral steps in canter or medium canter on the half circle before the diagonal to the change. That said, you do progress your horses marvelously, so if it doesnt make sense just ignore my suggestion

You know, when I was watching the vid I was thinking the same. He needs to be quicker behind.
Dresseur, that was definitely what helped fix the R to L changes, holding back that shoulder and being quicker behind but he was anticipating so much that when I tried to quicken or position him he would just start leaping and run off. So I'd nearly fall off and he would nearly take us through that flimsy arena fence. So I had to back off a lot and keep him more chilled. I think he now will be able to cope and if he leaps and I nearly fall off, he doesn't get scared by that anymore.
I'll see how I go :)

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:35 am

exvet wrote:Chantal - FWIW regarding Albions I find the old styles and the SLs & SLKs to have a narrower twist. I cannot ride in the legends, comfort or other models.

Thanks!

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:06 pm

Well we are definitely sweating a bit more than 'some' as of late! One of the nice parts of having a young horse is I can pick/choose her work days versus her hack day according to the weather a little bit. She is quite butt up in the air right now so we are still at 3 days of 'work', short and sweet. So no complaints here we are still getting it done. Glad to hear others are as well.

I'm counting on my team to keep me honest, Kora is so fun to ride it's easy to get sucked in to forgetting that she's baby horse. Her secondary nickname/barn name is Babette for a reason to remind me!

Another positive field trip under our belts to our trainer's this weekend. I am pleased with how much more settled she was about the whole process. Our lesson was a good reminder of how drastically the babies can improve from one week to the next considering only 2 'work' rides between sessions. We are keeping on, keeping on.

No pics of our ride as I was solo on this trip but she did conquer the wash stall this time which was fantastic. There is a large panel that rocks over the drain in back which can be quite unnerving for horses at first. Last week was not super but this time she handled it much better. Progress!!
Wash Stall Success.jpg
Wash Stall Success.jpg (38.8 KiB) Viewed 25540 times

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:16 pm

Beautiful horse, Aleuronx.

Dog show on Saturday in 100* weather kept me out of the saddle that day, but I did ride Rudy yesterday. Ds's dog was last to go in Obedience and was done with the heat. Beautifully trained Labrador declined to carry the dumbell or jump the jumps, but all with good humor. So, he didn't win but all had fun anyways. :P

Rudy's canter is still REALLY nice, I just wish I knew what I did that changed it. Actually, he had a lot of cadence in the trot as well, so maybe he's just that much stronger. :?: My core is still weak compared to past years, so I doubt it's my riding (I still look horrid on video) but something has changed. I do a ton of lateral stuff in walk, making sure I have control of both hind legs and of the shoulders so that by the time we trot he is really balanced and forward. Maybe that's the difference.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:28 am

Laddie is a very, very happy boy with his new hocks. So happy that he has no half halt at all. Well, no whoa of any kind at all, really. Lesson on Thursday and in the mean time, transitions, transitions and more transitions, I guess. We will not be showing next weekend. I'd like to have enough control to stay out of the judge's lap...

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:08 am

Ok so I tried the 'quicker behind' in canter today. Honestly, it felt so much quicker than it looks on the vid :roll:
BUT the first L to R change we got this:

https://youtu.be/Zi6Jt3W0abo

so, while not perfect a definite step in the right direction :)

Blob, yes I do have to think more about him waiting in front too. It's a bit of a timing thing that I suspect I'm struggling with too. I'm glad I have the video to help me, even though it's after the event I can only analyse it.

Moutaineer, that's great Laddie is happy! Hopefully your half halts come back :)

Aleuronx, it would be nice to have a lovely young horse that is fun to ride!

Sue B, that sounds like really good progress. I remember when suddenly Ding and now Norsey could add cadence in their trot. I think it's just the work you've been doing starts to give them the balance and strength. Share some vid!

Rip looks buff! I can totally sympathise with how tricky it can be. I almost fall off every time I ride Norsey!
Last edited by Flight on Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:02 pm

Laddie! Hope you find the halt soon Mountaineer, LOL!
Flight as always you are inspiring. Norsey is really coming along.

Our July Cedar clinic was incredibly successful for all riders and no one passed out from the heat:) Could have been much worse for sure weather wise. I could not have been more happy with all of my horses. Rip is showing how much stronger and engaged he is with some lovely canter work, first FC and an unplanned dismount when he protested the whip application in canter. He rolled up and shifted sideways throwing my right leg over to his left where I just kicked out of the left stirrup and landed on my feet. Sigh Rip is definitely progressing in his movement and abilities, it is just not easy with him. Joplin on the other hand stepped up to the table with ease. Rode all 3 days just as if she had been being ridden since March. Had our first US canter both Sunday and Monday with no drama what so ever and our first off line ride WT and change of directions at the trot. What I love most about her is her motor, she easily goes into to trot and maintains it with very little help and how safe she feels. Easy to direct for such few rides on her and just a good girl. Had 1 ride on Gaila and she went very well considering she was 3rd ride of the day for me and had not had much work since March due to obligations I had. so I am over the moon with the clinic and so appreciative of Cedar and her instruction.

https://www.facebook.com/Bent-Tree-Farm ... 461986279/
Last edited by khall on Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:15 pm

Ok, so Marius Schreiner is coming to give a clinic on August 10 at my barn. Anyone in or near NJ interested, please let me know.

Last time I rode in all the unsold spots and nearly died ;).

Marius is good, I am excited to have him. I was not ad impressed with the Helmut Oberhauser clinic and told the clinic organizer I would not have him back, I was thrilled when Marius had availability.

It does coincide with a huge improvement in balance and co operation in Kimba. I sure hope he can help me refine her flying change and improve her half steps.

We shall see.

quinta
Herd Member

Postby quinta » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:38 pm

Thoroughly enjoying these threads - great to see progress from everyone! We've been struggling with some intermittent hind end lameness which seems to be stifle-related. Vet coming today - hoping that 1) it is there so he can diagnose and 2) that it isn't something tragic. This is not the hind that she injured earlier in the spring. That healed beautifully.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:17 pm

Its miserably hot here this week. Talk about sweating some :lol:
Heat index of 100+ and an excessive heat warning yesterday through Saturday. I'm still trucking away though. I waited to go ride until around 8:30 last night to try and let it cool off some, and even then had to take things easier than normal. We did a lot of walking, and worked on leg yields and I tried to start introducing the concept of shoulder in and haunches in.
In all, I feel like we've made good progress the last week or so. I've worked a lot on myself and getting my weight down in the saddle. I ended up dropping my stirrups 2 holes which really helped.
The David Wightman clinic was great. I really enjoyed auditing and am excited for when he comes back again in September.
Alyssa comes back in 2 weeks and we'll be riding with her Aug 3rd and 4th.
Looks like several several people from my barn will be going to lamplight to train with David and Alyssa for several days and ride in the schooling show. I'm hoping maybe I can make the trip up to watch for a day or two.
There's a local schooling show coming up in October. I'm going to be working on being ready for that and hope to make it Phoenix's first show!
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:54 pm

Too hot here too....

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:17 am

Fingers crossed for a good vet visit, Quinta.

It's been darned hot here, for here, too. We are all cowering in the indoor out of the sun and the very dry wind. It's fire weather, which is always concerning, especially after last year.

Super good lesson this afternoon. Laddie got his half halt back :) He's really starting to use himself and realize he can swing an push through from behind. He started out a little tentative on the right hind at the canter, but we got it together and he learned he can bring it up and under rather than egg-beating. We were largely just playing with what the difference in his movement really is today,

Now I had my saddle reflocked and fitted the day all this lameness stuff started, so that's making a difference to, but the difference in the trot is really amazing. I can just sit into it without thinking about it, and focus on all the other stuff...

Yipee. Now, not to get tempted to push it and make him muscle sore.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:16 pm

Pole lesson day tomorrow. I was vacationing a bit the past couple weeks so Yonka got some time off. It has been bloody hot here too, with wicked thunderstorms and hail at night. Hopefully, I don't have to haul in the mud tomorrow. If it is muddy, I am staying home.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:20 pm

Flight, that change is technically clean, so I would say yes, definitely a step in the right direction. The canter was much, much better quality, but you are going to have to work to keep that leap bottled up so that he keeps those hinds quick and short in that direction lol.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:38 pm

I agree, it is hot. Despite that a good week of rides and lessons.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:07 am

Mikey had 8 days off to get back to normal. I had a short lesson yesterday on him and he was his happy relaxed self, and back in my 28 yo KN symphonie. So we are sticking with that for now.

We had a jumping clinic today and I rode a friends horse and actually jumped. So much fun. Going to hop on early tomorrow for an easy ride on Mikey.

It's 100 out. Gah!!

blob

Postby blob » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:47 pm

Also dealing with/struggling with the heat. So, rides have been shorter in general, more walk breaks, and more days when I have time to ride, but don't.

MM's saddle came back after having the balance and thigh blocks adjusted. It's much better for me, but it's still not quite right. the blocks hit at a funny angle, it's almost like they're angled in towards the knee instead of the mirroring the slant of a thigh. I'm going to give myself a few more rides in it before asking the fitter to adjust it AGAIN. Otherwise, things are going well with MM. I need to get back to do more pole work. Our extended trot is forever a WIP (it'll never be a particularly strong point for her, but it's come a long way) and I need to remember to actually set aside time to work on it.

RP still has me baffled in terms of his extreme gassiness. Today I stopped counting at 17 farts and 6 moments of passing some amount of manure in a 40 minute ride. I tried giving him gas-x an hour before my ride yesterday at someone's suggestion and it didn't seem to make any real noticeable difference. I wouldn't mind all his farting and pooping except that he gets so uncomfortable before he passes something that it makes the riding impossible. I had signed him up several weeks ago before all this gassiness for his first show (the show is next weekend). But now I'm not sure it makes sense to take him if he's still feeling/acting gassy. Perhaps the secretary will let me swap in MM if he doesn't have a turn around by weds.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:01 am

blob wrote:RP still has me baffled in terms of his extreme gassiness. Today I stopped counting at 17 farts and 6 moments of passing some amount of manure in a 40 minute ride. I tried giving him gas-x an hour before my ride yesterday at someone's suggestion and it didn't seem to make any real noticeable difference. .

Manna Pro Optizyme has been a good product for me to use. Best of luck

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:20 am

what are you feeding him, Blob? Walker gets extremely gassy to the point of colicing on any soy at all. I have to check the ingredients of anything that passes his lips--even treats.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:35 am

How was the vet visit Quinta?

17 farts is a lot. Wonder what it is, guess it's not lactose intolerance?!! Poor thing if it's making him uncomfy.

Khall, meant to ask if you've progressed much with RIp and piaffe steps? I remember you talking about having trouble getting him to diagonalise (if that's a word). Norsey is having trouble with it too, but I've had some progress with pirouette work and I have a clinic in a few days (yay!!) so hopefully I can get more ideas.

Not doing great getting rid of the leaps!

Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 8.33.29 am.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 8.33.29 am.png (107.11 KiB) Viewed 25023 times

Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 10.30.09 am.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 10.30.09 am.png (111.66 KiB) Viewed 25023 times

Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 10.19.16 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 10.19.16 pm.png (100.68 KiB) Viewed 25023 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:42 am

Flight, maybe you should change your name so Norsey doesn't think he needs to launch you!

Honestly, I would get tired of that pretty quickly! I wondered why you said you nearly fell off every ride.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:35 am

Yes, I think I'll give it a rest for a little while! The upside is Norsey no longer even bats an eyelid at me ending up around his neck or hanging off the side :lol: :lol: :lol:

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:04 am

Flight wrote:Yes, I think I'll give it a rest for a little while! The upside is Norsey no longer even bats an eyelid at me ending up around his neck or hanging off the side :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh my sympathies... Mine doesn't launch upwards so much. He sort of flings his head and shoulders up and kicks out like a demon behind. Whiplash much? Really not fun to ride, and no amount of people shouting "sit UP!" at me can get me not to hunch forward defensively to protect my neck.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

MaryC
Novice

Postby MaryC » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:24 pm

Well we did it, we survived our first 4-1 test! Fortunately it was a schooling show, and I'm proud to say that we let the judge use all of her score range, from 7.5 down to 3!! :shock: It was an absurdly hot day, we warmed up brilliantly outside (where at least there was a breeze) and showed indoors (threats of lightning). The temp indoors was easily 15* hotter with no breeze. My dear girl went in there and just drooped. And there went our test. The harder I tried to make something happen the tighter we both got. Upside though -- it was a ride-critique-too-hot-to-reride, and the work we did with the judge was very nice, at least proving we belonged at that level! Onward and upward!!

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:15 pm

Well, I took Yonka to another group pole lesson on Saturday. It was definitely a "work with the horse you have, not the one you want" lesson. He was hot and sweaty, I was hot and sweaty and my saddle was slipping so much that we were both getting too irritated to actually do anything productive. I lasted 20 minutes before I said enough. It was still a very good experience though, since Yonka and I had to stand and watch, I found some gaps in our groundwork that we can go back and fill in. 8-) Little stinker.

I am just in love with his temperament though. We stayed and watched the second group ride and he just hung out beside me and munched on grass while I sat in a lawn chair and had a glass of wine. He didn't yell at the other horses, he was just content to chill and snack.

Some images of Saturday - he was finally understanding that standing still meant stand in the spot I put you and not on top of me please.... and he started yawning it out. I like seeing a horse yawn, it means his brain is processing something ... whether it is a good thought or bad one, at least I know his brain in moving.

And me, with a glass of wine, watching the other riders ride. :) Hoping to travel back for another lesson on Saturday. Supposed to be stupid hot again this week, so it will be small, at home sessions, til then.

Yonka Yawn 1.jpg
Yonka Yawn 1.jpg (169.4 KiB) Viewed 24986 times

Yonka Yawn 2.jpg
Yonka Yawn 2.jpg (127.64 KiB) Viewed 24986 times

Wine and Grass 1.jpg
Wine and Grass 1.jpg (157.2 KiB) Viewed 24985 times

khall

Postby khall » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:28 pm

Wow Flight! Norsey is really expressive in his changes! Dang that would get old fast.

Yes Rip has the diagnolization down in hand now for piaffe. Cedar just worked on this when she was here last weekend and was very please how correct his diagnolizing is, now he just needs a bit of bounce for a really good piaffe. Rip is not that amused with this hard work, so Cedar showed me a new way of being able to work him in hand with a neck rope run through the bit to level the playing field so to speak. He's been known to dirt ski you around when you put that much pressure on him, how I also got caught in the hip working him in hand. The three things that I feel helped him to get stronger and understand better the diagnolizing is half steps down slopes, counted walk diagnolizing him there (I can really feel how this coils the loins) and then in hand getting the snap of the hind leg rather than the kick out or no I don't wanna crap. I worked on that on line with the lunge whip so I had room to push without the risk I run with WIH.

Stay cool everyone! I rode yesterday for about 30 min and felt like I was going to pass out, yuck. Cooler weather on the way though!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:41 pm

Stoopid hot here too. Must be summer. 8-)

Tio, despite having lost his right front shoe and having troubles with a loose left front shoe, insisted 100 degree heat is a great time to go for a nice long ride down the roads. Even though getting to soft sandy roads meant going down a steep, gravely one first, he marched with great joy and determination. After 2+ miles exploring, I finally got him to head for home and into the slightly cooler breeze. So long as he was on sandy or grassy ground, his feet didn't bother him at all, and all these jaunts out have developed a a really nice swinging, over-reaching walk. I just wish the shoer would get his hind quarters out to my place so I can do more with T than just walking.

Rudy and I worked as usual, with me trying to get more consisant cadence in the trot and more sit in his new and improved canter. For some reason (I never did figure out why) he was highly resistant to canter hp to the left on Saturday. To the point of literally just shutting down and not moving. He had one of his "I don't WANT to stand still and wait for traffic" fits on our warm-up ride out and did a lot of backing up (his idea, not mine), so maybe he tweaked something? I truly have absolutely no clue. All I know is something was bothering him and there was certainly no point in arguing about it. When he has these melters, I stay very quiet and back off to a simpler version of whatever I'm asking for. In this case it was walk ly, then si, then si-to-renvers, then si-to travers, and then finally, walk hp from wall to centerline. Rudy doesn't protest unless he feels that he can't comply, so I never get after him, I just try to find what he CAN do. SO Sunday, after he was well warmed up and doing really flowy canter hp's to the right and cantering well to the left, I went from an 8m volte into a short left hp but it was really hard to maintain the bend. Refreshed with a medium canter, did a 10m circle in travers, refreshed again, went back into the 8m volte and asked for shallow hp again with only 3 strides over, 3 strides straight, 3 strides over and straight down the centerline(ish).. He was at first hesitant but by going straight right away he didn't have time to worry. Then the next go round, did volte into hp to centerline easy peasy. :D His reward was a big rolling training level canter, followed by a gorgeous medium trot acquired entirely from my seat and then down into a confident, swinging medium walk. Whew! We were both dripping wet but he was clearly quite pleased with himself and even me, his task master. He is such a special little horse; it is a real honor to be his rider/trainer/friend.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:57 pm

Mari, my little black horse used to do that with his changes. They are back crackers for sure. I take comfort in that he no longer does it. So hope for our other horses!
MaryC congrats! Thats Advanced here. It's exciting to be getting up to that level. PSG next. I don't ride in indoors often, rode in one a month or so ago and even in winter we ended up sweating.
Tuddy, - it makes it so much nicer when your horse comfortable to take out and be relaxed. Cute pics :)
Khall, thanks for that about the piaffe steps. I think Norsey is so close, just hasn't quite got there. I was shown the counted walk in the Valenca clinic and was surprised at how much that helps them collect. I hadn't really done it before.
Sue B sounds like some good rides, even being so hot. (Here I am in thermals on the couch!) Norsey is the same, if he says he can't do something he means it. He's quite obvious about it.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:24 am

I am not riding as much as I want...I am still doing physical therapy for my foot in the AM 2 days/week and with the hot, if I can't get out in the morning, I don't get out. Yes, I am an old lady and getting quite particular about my riding conditions :lol: I did have a nice ride on Saturday. Since I have had a couple rides and SF has been consistently riding her, I just put on the bitless bridle. Well...she immediately decided that was great and that I could hold her up. That would be a resounding NO. We had a mild CTJ session about self carriage and I don't try to keep her on "contact" for the whole ride. I put her together back to front, do our exercise then let her stretch. Our lateral work portion of the ride was the volte to half-pass across the track (maybe 5-6 steps) then change rein and repeat the other direction. They flowed quite nicely (especially considering I am riding in a short cam boot on the left foot and that can't make me very even). This was all walk work. Until I can get my paddock boot on my left foot, walk work it is.
We did some rein back work and that was quite nice so I asked the question can you give me some half steps? Yes, she could :D . That was probably the most relaxed effort at those she has given me. Not a lot of amplitude but definitely two beat and nice relaxation. Back in the day that I was able to lesson, my instructor called (most) of her efforts stamping ants. They were tense and quick so a big improvement from the old days.

SF has been doing a wonderful job with her. She is getting trot half pass down really well. Showing good bend and crossing. Her canter is much more active and light. They have a couple lessons in about 10 days and I am eager to go watch.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:15 pm

How about something other than spam? Here is some of Kyra's canter work from this morning. I feel like it's a big improvement over where we were a few weeks ago. We did the Ritter's 5 day canter challenge and that along with my homework from last month's lesson helped some things click into placed. I'm getting a better feeling of straightening her to the left rein, which she tend to hang on, and fall over that shoulder. She is getting straighter and staying more on the aids and relaxed. Now I need to fix my shoulders. The right is consistently higher than the left going both directions, no doubt due to all the time I spend in front of a computer with a mouse in my right hand...

https://youtu.be/7PcRGscKMdI

Tesla had her last post-surgery follow-up last week and the vet said she should go into work, even though she still has a minor bobble in the trot on a circle. With the things I learned at the Buck B. clinic, she is coming along pretty nicely. She stands right up to the fence for me, and I've put most of my weight on her/in the stirrup. Now to find someone to help me back her in a couple weeks. The BO got in a horse accident and may have a torn rotator cuff, so I'm not sure she'll be able to help like I'd planned.

Annabelle is still on stall rest and about to go back on crazy pills. She'll get another checkup in about 3 weeks, so just trying to keep her quiet in the meantime so she can heal up.
Keep calm and canter on.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:20 pm

I like your work with Kyra, SF! The straightness you achieve in the later part of the video is very nice. Your other still photos in the what's good post were lovely, too. It is so helpful that you and Susan can work together with her. I have students ride my horse while i'm away, but they are not such feeling riders.

FWIW, I have a very similar type horse to Kyra (although less ballerina-build more bull fighting model-build). Controlling all parts at canter is very important for my mare. It took time, but part of getting her really straight and through was getting her to accept change of positions (change of bend, change of neck position, change of horse's inside leg position, etc.). I remember that I did not used to have a left canter (our hard to bend side) without a "skidding" feeling out the right hind on a 20 m circle. That is now totally gone and the degree to which I can "mess" with the left lead is vastly different. As Sue has mentioned with her older horse, somehow we have a totally new and better canter now! It's a very cool process.

I am back from being really sick. My mare has had less work (like 3 days/week and very easy work) for the last two+ weeks in like, well, years! The mare feels great, so maybe I need to do that more. Today, I really focussed on something I know I am slack about: Getting complete bowing up of the topline, including the lifting of the wither. I often accept a partial bow (my bad). I knew we were there when doing very through, forward canter-walk-any lead canter transitions were both uphill and actually straight (instead of having that feeling of tossing from side to side, which is a sign of our lack of thoroughness in transitions).

A good day, plus only 85 F and not too humid.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:31 am

Laddie is feeling really (playfully) good. He is getting more exacting in his expectations of me as we both progress in the quality of our work. No more guessing what I'm asking for and giving me an approximate answer, so I'm having to be much more accurate and focused or things go to pot pretty fast...

"No more Mickey Mouse riding" as Mette would say... I'm exhausted :)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:11 pm

Thank you for the kind words, Piedmont! I'm glad I'm carving out the time to take this opportunity, because I've never had access to trained horses really, ever unless you count western pleasure horses, where you just sit there and cruise. This is giving me a glimpse of where I need to go with my mares over the next couple years, even though they're vastly different types of horses.

Glad you are feeling better and back in the saddle!
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:41 pm

Lovely very basic ride on Joplin yesterday:) Had a long time friend come over and be my ground person and then off line again. No cantering this time but change of direction through the circle and spiral in and out both at the trot. She is such a good girl!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Put Rip back in the double this week per Cedar's recommendation. Reintroduction has gone pretty smoothly, though today he got a bit to light in the hand at the canter. That was a bit disconcerting:/ He never really put a foot wrong but not sure what was going on with him. Light rides so far in the double, but no fussing.

Gaila is working some, but have been pretty busy with the build project here. Finally seeing some movement with the framers actually showing up. The construction site is close to the arena and with the air compressor going and hammering and throwing things into the dumpster, have stayed away from the arena this week.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:04 pm

Lovely Khall, Joplin is adorable.

It’s still quite hot here, warmer this weekend than they were initially predicting of course. There is a touch less humidity so at least I didn’t have to wake up to go ride and be done by 8:15 am. That worked for us last weekend but there was still a lot of sweating going on! Kudos to everyone getting rides in during this heat.

We are onto Field Trips Phase II. It’s time for new destinations with low key expectations as my trainer says. Today was a trip to a farm doing a trot poles/cones fun day of lessons. I’m very pleased that Kora traveled and handled the new place really well. The focus was building on good experiences and I can happily say we did that.

Gazebo by the outdoor arena? Check
Weaving in and out of the cones? Check
Trotting over poles? Check (After jumping the solo pole first as there was a slight air shadow underneath, babies)
Hack around the outside of ring and back up to the barns? Check

C4995E0B-E906-4E88-9ADE-0EDAE5C769A1.jpeg
C4995E0B-E906-4E88-9ADE-0EDAE5C769A1.jpeg (117.42 KiB) Viewed 24573 times

blob

Postby blob » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:38 pm

Great to see everyone's updates and productive work (despite the heat!)

MM's new saddle, which came and was not right was sent back, came back again and it is still not right (sigh sigh ugh ugh), so it is going back again. I really believe there's a saddle I love somewhere in there.

RP went to his first show this weekend. It was about as pleasant as it gets around here in July weather wise and the show was relatively small, making it a good choice for his first time competing. Our friday schooling proved that I was going to have a nervous and rushy horse on my hand. We also realized dressage arena corners were going to be tougher than I anticipated. Our barn doesn't have a dressage arena, and though we'd practiced square corners with poles, the actual arena a the show ground was another story.

Saturday wasn't an especially successful day. Our first ride was full of spooking in corners, a wrong lead (when he wasn't even supposed to canter), a few strides of head in the air frantic running, and me riding a circle that was not in the test because I needed it to get him focused back on me. So, that test was a deservedly low score. My second ride of the day was much, much, much better. And I felt good about it except for a few small bobbles. But the score was lower than I would have expected and was disappointed by the collective marks, which slammed RP in the gaits score (the other collectives were low as well, but the gait score surprised me a lot).

Sunday, I had two early rides with a weird gap between (40 minutes). It made planning my second warm up a bit of a challenge, especially given that I'm only just now learning what works for him at shows. But all in all it was a more successful day. I had some really good work in the warm-up. But in the ring with the judges box, the photographers, flags in the corners, he was a lot more distracted and we had some silly, green pony moments in both our rides. But I felt good with decent scores despite the silly moments, leaving room for improvement. We won our National Pony Cup class (riding t-3) with a 64.8 and got our first qualifying score in our training 3 class with a 65%.

If all continues going well, I'll be hoping to take him to another show in the beginning of september and hopefully get another qualifying score.
Last edited by blob on Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Dressage Training”