Let's sweat some! July/August goals and progress thread

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Flight
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Let's sweat some! July/August goals and progress thread

Postby Flight » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:52 pm

Blob, I tend to agree to keep chipping away at them. Definitely go back if you find something needs fixing but if you don't keep working at it and trying to figure out how to improve them, I don't think they'll happen on their own? It's all still a learning process for me (although I hope I never have to try and teach another horse changes!) so I am constantly going back and working on different things to hopefully help the changes.
Yes, he can do clean R to L changes, but they started off all late and what really helped that side was the renvers on a circle.

Sue B, yes Ding sometimes does late in fronts. But do you mean wont change at all in front?

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:32 pm

Sometimes, Flight. I know it's me, but I don't know what the heck I'm doing that makes him think he's made a mistake. This is a horse that (for me) is easier to change from true canter to counter canter, or even cc to cc, and that does beautiful, clean tempis out in the pasture just for the fun of it. I'm thinking about riding him with a neck rein (as in bridleless) to see if that makes a difference, but any ideas would be welcome.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:27 pm

Sue B wrote:Doesn't anyone have a horse that sometimes changes behind but not in front????

Mine! If he is disunited after a change attempt, 99% of the time he has not changed in front.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

blob

Postby blob » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:49 pm

I leasesed one that would change behind and not in front. I did a lot of canter bounce poles to get more lift in the shoulder and that seemed to help!

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:46 pm

We seem to be back on track now, after our accidental week off. Took a lesson last night and rode the Training 1 test for fun, to start thinking about the upcoming show. I was very happy with how she did and will play with all the training tests over the next week or two in order to decide which we want to enter in if we go. Still have to see if someone will take me, since I don't own my own truck or trailer yet.
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:19 pm

Well it's been a week/s of ups and downs. The downs being bucked off and the ups having another fairly positive schooling show once we got down to the ring. Young horses, they are dramatic!!

Haven't quite figured out but I believe we are encountering some tension/worry when I come to ride her after work and have to take her away from dinner feed. Sorry Kora, there's no excuse for that. She was all sorts of buzzy being ridden and I was just trying to keep quiet and easy. Until the lesson kid pony left. We were at the canter and she very slightly veered for the gate opening in the outdoor and all I did was gently close the outside aids to set her off. Luckily the footing is soft and no worse for wear. Back on and lots of cantering and steering and paying attention, to which she was fine.

I'll be adding in more short jaunts during the week, just hacks so she can figure out it is okay to be ridden and brought back to her stall to finish eating. So far that's been positive this week.

We did still hit up another Intro B, I have no media but she was settled and warmed up beautifully there. Was quite petrified to walk down to ring, a corridor between two fencelines and tons of people standing/sitting at the end of the ring. But we had someone help lead us there eventually and although our centerline in was fire-breathing she very quickly took a breath and did her test. All learning and I'm very pleased with how she went in and got it back together.

Had a super ride last night where I was able to do little shallow serpentines in trot and canter and do a canter change through trot across the diagonal which is huge for her to start 'putting pieces together'. I think I got a little inspired watching the Young Horse Championships at Lamplight. We are no where near that level of pizazz and training but we're working toward PSG not Young horse winner.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:03 am

I love your pics flight, very inspiring. And wow you have a great seat!

Mikey has changes, not intentional. We did just a little canter work last week and we are still having issues with the right lead. We went from a 10m trot circles to the left, turned right and bam into the canter. He still got the wrong lead but I tapped his shoulder with the whip about a second too slowly and he changed after one canter stride to the correct lead. He's changed before, jumping over a shadow or after picking up the wrong lead in a poles clinic. I've been told they are clean... :lol:

We think it's a strength thing, and his go to when he's not fit is to drop his right shoulder. But he does happily pick up the right lead when hacking so maybe we have gotten into a bad habit. Sigh.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:44 pm

Moving went well! We are back working and I LOVE the full sized dressage outdoor! Lessons start back next week. Whoooo. I hate hate moving, but it all went much better than my imagination led to me believe

blob

Postby blob » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:42 pm

Glad you're ok, Aleuronx!

And also so happy to hear the move went well, Ryeissa. Moving can be such a stressful pain--but sounds like yours was very smooth and many good things ahead!

Things mostly the same over here. I'm starting to get bored by my own updates. MM's saddle is back for the 4th time and i STILL don't like it. I'm going to stick with it for a couple weeks. But they just cannot seem to get this saddle right for me. SIGH.

I've been working on keeping shorter reins with MM and making sure i'm getting an honest bridge/connection at the trot from hind leg to neck.

RP is still off in front. And even though he's on small paddock turn out, he's definitely getting a bit restless and stir-crazy. I'll be out of town for a few weeks in september. So, hopefully there will be some improvement when i'm back.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:52 pm

Sort of per your suggestions, I set out some poles on the ground, scattered around my arena to canter over on Rudy. I did this with Lad, who, kinda like Rudy, also "hated" jumps and cavelletti, and it improved the canter (and, of course, his changes). If the horse is cantering well, with hind legs folding etc, the stride doesn't change when you go over the pole; if there's anything other than "perfect" they'll tend to bobble the pole. Eventually, with focus and practice, we progress to raised cavelletti. The difficulty for horses like Rudy is, keeping them mentally relaxed and and not trying to over-achieve and/or anticipate. Rudy was much quicker to settle in than Lad was--it took months for me to accomplish on Lad, what Rudy did in a day. The only real "issue" I ran into, was Rudy wanted to do flying changes over the poles and I had to gently tell him no, not yet. Oy. :P

Tio was kinda fired up this weekend so he did not get to go for joy rides down the the road. Otoh, he settled in quite well in the arena and, in addition to his regular cavelletti work, we trotted the ground poles with the aim of hitting the exact center every time. Soon he'll be cantering them too, although he'll be the opposite of Lad and Rudy because he loves jumping of all kinds.

Rye, happy to hear that your move went well and your fears were not realized.
Blob, jingling for a saddle that actually works for you and for a speedier recovery of RP.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:34 pm

We are in post-clinic recovery mode. He's a bit stiff on start up on that right hind again intermittently, so we haven't got to the bottom of the problem yet. Guess I'd better call the vet.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:39 pm

Moutaineer wrote:We are in post-clinic recovery mode. He's a bit stiff on start up on that right hind again intermittently, so we haven't got to the bottom of the problem yet. Guess I'd better call the vet.

sorry!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:50 pm

Sound as a dollar today. Go figure. Fingers crossed it lasts.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:22 am

4 1/2 months...I got my paddock boot on my Frankenfoot :mrgreen: .

So...I rode today. I intended to work on the track but they were bringing in hay and the hay guy parked his truck at an angle right on the track and took up the whole width :roll: . The stack wagon didn't bother her (they use one side of the track to get to the hay shed) but the parked truck made working a bit difficult so we went back to the arena. I actually did about 3 minutes of trot and canter. It felt good (on the horse's part). Boy howdy did my back tire out...like quickly. Can anyone say core work? This is going to be a long road back but totally worth it.

Kyra showed up with a puffy right front fetlock a little over 3 weeks ago. Neither myself or Nika (Straightforward) could detect any uneven-ness at all but the filling in the ankle just didnt go away totally so I finally called the vet. The day before the vet came I went out to check it...figuring it would be totally gone...but there was still some subtle filling. I took her over to the round pen to send her around a few time to give it a little workout...HA HA. I enjoy liberty work with her and was asking her to do a leg yield (at a walk) on a circle around me. I have two little whips called liberty whips and was using those to guide her. Longer one to ask her to move the hind end and the shorter one to control her shoulder. She had been working nicely when I guess she decided that she was done. She quickly backed up, spun and proceeded to fall down, sliding about 6 feet on her side :roll: . When I got things back under control, she was still flipping her head and letting me know that she felt good and wasn't sure she wanted to play my games. Even AFTER work, when I turned her out, she did 2 laps of the turnout bucking and farting. Alrighty then, that ought to be a good test of soundness.

The vet came the next day and the filling amazingly was no more than it had been (in light of her antics the day before). Her ligaments and tendons were tight and swelling seemed to be toward the top of the joint on the inside. She couldn't detect any lameness either and her flexions were fine. She is 17 and although low mileage lately, we decided to try Legend to lube up her joints a bit. Both of us wondered if it might be a compensatory thing as she is weaker on her right hind and although she flexed fine, she is "sticky" to pick up that leg (rt hind). I think I am going to continue the Legend just as a point of maintenance. Until the joint really swells up or she shows a frank lameness, we will keep on keeping on. She does not have good pain tolerance so I am sure if there was significant damage, she would be waving it in the air not wanting to walk on it.

Today, she was definitely a bit more fluid in picking up her hind and she felt really loose and free. Of course, I haven't ridden w/t/c in eons but she sure felt good to me. I probably won't get a lot of riding in until mid September as my friend and I are getting ready to go set on the beach in Oregon and be lazy for a week :mrgreen: . I am going to try and get in a couple more rides before I go. Will see if I can get out of bed in the morning :lol: .

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:43 am

Wow August is ending.

20190813_073044_240x352-01.jpeg
Cally working on topline
20190813_073044_240x352-01.jpeg (23.83 KiB) Viewed 16064 times

Cally.. definitely progressed in gai I g weight and muscle. still no canter on the longe.

Sunstorm has decided he prefers jumping.
20190713_172618_480x514_240x257-01.jpeg
Sunstorm jumping
20190713_172618_480x514_240x257-01.jpeg (45.74 KiB) Viewed 16064 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:46 am

Kimba is really improving in the quality of her contact in transitions and her carriage. I might try for a September show to see if her second level scores improved.

Deneb injured herself and has been limited to hand walking and is back on the crazy train.

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:59 pm

Kyra's Mom wrote:4 1/2 months...I got my paddock boot on my Frankenfoot :mrgreen: .

So...I rode today. I intended to work on the track but they were bringing in hay and the hay guy parked his truck at an angle right on the track and took up the whole width :roll: . The stack wagon didn't bother her (they use one side of the track to get to the hay shed) but the parked truck made working a bit difficult so we went back to the arena. I actually did about 3 minutes of trot and canter. It felt good (on the horse's part). Boy howdy did my back tire out...like quickly. Can anyone say core work? This is going to be a long road back but totally worth it.
Susan

Had to laugh and cheer you on >;-> OMG the Frankenfoot, the pain and joy when you get that boot on for the first time...and then you get on and youre like..huff huff puff puff...Man do I have that tshirt!

I so enjoy everyones updates, thanks for taking the time to post them.

I still go in and out of the boot with my foot. It has been almost a year since the first of the last three surgeries. What a long year it has been. It has gotten slowly better and I am pretty functional. Since my big toe joint is now fused the joint under the nail gets all the brunt of any time I stub it..which I do, then it breaks. Gah. Then Im back in the boot. So its one step up three steps back >;->

The new Konigs I ordered in Blackberry are beautiful I will post a pic one of these days. They are a dark burgundy and are just what I hoped.

Slick is a peach and he must think he is in a therapeutic riding program >;-> He did do an uncharacteristically violent spook and bolt and I fell off, first time since 1972. I fell off a few years ago but I don't count that >;-> I was getting on, the mounting block tipped, Oceano stepped sideways, I jumped for it, landed behind the saddle and he took off bucking. I don't count that one >;_> Slcik and I were just walking in SI and he went in to orbit at something I did not see or hear. Reared, spun, took off bucking, I lasted about thirty feet but then he turned sharply and the laws of phsyics met the law of gravity. I was so surprised >;-> The dogs came and licked my face, Slick walked over and stuck his big schnozz in my face. I was fine though figured I would be really sore the next day. CBD, Ibuprofen, arnica, half a valium, and Back on Track panties and the next day I felt fine. I have to say Im impressed with my 63 yr old body that I can get so thumped and be fine. Go me!

We have our next Legerete clinic in October. I had to miss the last two cause of my foot. Bertrand must also think he is teaching in a therapeutic riding program >;-> I hope we are reliably cantering by then. Slcik has a lot of stiffness after being a lesson horse for so many years so we are slow. But he is such a good sport about my inabilities so we will just go along as we can.

The days are getting shorter.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:22 pm

Haven't checked in for a while.* Sort of same old/same old. Progress has not been good on Mark learning to be a trail horse. Had one lightly drugged ride (about 1.55 ccs) and while he behaved, it was in a walking on eggshells kind of way. I used the same amount a week later, and had to get off and lead on the way back because he was getting so agitated and a bit light in front. SIgh. I keep trying, but a couple of miles seems to be all his delicate psyche can take before he looses it. I hesitate to up the ACE, but maybe....vet says 2 or 2.5 cc would not be too much, but I hesitate.

On the good news side, I had the vet come out to give him a general check and she said he looked better than the last time she saw him (11 months ago), and that I could trot him a little, straight lines only, and just to monitor it for any heat or swelling or, obviously, more marked lameness than just the slight unevenness he shows now. She did say, however, that his pastern had dropped ever so slightly (it's been 4 years now since the injury), and that stresses the joints, so he may need hock injections in the future (okay, not a problem), but, of course, that may eventually render him unrideable (or worse, I guess :cry: ). However, he's 15 now and it's taken this long for any "drop" to show, so he may be well along in age before that becomes a real issue. One can hope. Still, Arab/Appaloosa.....tend to be long-lived breeds.

Still, we ARE enjoying getting to trot (up to six minutes now spread over 45, one minute at a time). Certainly helps me - I find that only walking on level ground, rather than trotting or trail riding, makes my knees and thigh muscles ache, and even six minutes of trotting prevents about 90% of that ache. He feels good under saddle and pretty even in his trot, but I am probably subconsciously balancing him in that regard.

*Did I mention that I got FIRED in March? My belief is it was really a cost-cutting thing, since I was the highest paid, most experienced member of the staff, and had only a month before received excellent reviews and a raise!! At my age, not worth fighting it. I took the minimal severance, temped for a while, took my vacation (Landrover/Rolex), then accepted a full-time job at one of the places I was temping. When I was terminated, I kept asking, "What is/are the issues(s)," and they just kept saying "That's irrelevant. The decision has been made." :x

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:48 pm

Got to take a lesson today which is the first one in at least one month. Between my instructor's show schedule and my commitments it was impossible to coordinate time for a lesson until now. It's just as well because the weather has really hampered our ability to progress much. The good news is that my instructor feels that Junior is stronger than the last time she saw him. She also feels his canter has become his highlight. Next lesson we're going to run through second level test 1 but she's already happy with how his mediums looked today; so, I think we're good. I didn't realize until today how much easier second level test 1 has been made. I'm feeling more confident that we at least won't embarrass ourselves with our debut next month. Now if only this heat will break, then I can really start to work on more strength building exercises and continue to work on improving his stamina. Junior really gave me the power I was asking for today but he was almost panting at the end of 30 minutes due to the heat. We have a few more days of a heat advisory; so, for now we'll continue to take very, very tiny baby steps forward. Nice to see everyone's updates. Praying for a 'cooler' September.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:54 pm

No real update. Barely rode at all in August. Maybe 2 or 3 lessons. My weekend pole classes have either been cancelled, or I had other commitments. Am going to ride tonight though on a lesson horse.

I am kinda down in the dumps about my own horses. 3 of the 4 are not sound, and the one that is sound is so fat that I am scared his feet are going to blow off one day. Ugh! The wonderful thing about having your own farm, is letting your horses on pasture and not in a pen, but the weight issues are terrible. I would much rather board Yonka to keep the weight in check, but that is not financially feasible at this time.

Meh, anyways, thanks for being a part of my pity party lol. Things will get better!

Nice to hear of all the updates though!

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:54 pm

Tuddy - have you considered grazing muzzle(s)? Friend uses ones on her super-easy keepers, and they can still graze, but it slows them down a LOT.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:10 pm

Hot4Spots wrote:Tuddy - have you considered grazing muzzle(s)? Friend uses ones on her super-easy keepers, and they can still graze, but it slows them down a LOT.

Oh yes, Houdini has snapped a few leather halters on me though, or his other pasture mates help him slip them off. Gets a little expensive after a while.

He is such an easy keeper, my other three are in excellent shape - are they a little round, yes, but nothing that would make a person concerned. Tuddy has a good grass belly on the go, but you can still feel his ribs and such.

I think my saving grace so far is that they don't get grain every day, and they are on straight, prairie grass, nothing rich. I think if he would be on a man made pasture, (seeded on purpose), I would really be in trouble. In the winter, he seems to lose some of that weight just burning calories to stay warm.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:45 pm

Tuddy wrote:
Hot4Spots wrote:Tuddy - have you considered grazing muzzle(s)? Friend uses ones on her super-easy keepers, and they can still graze, but it slows them down a LOT.

Oh yes, Houdini has snapped a few leather halters on me though, or his other pasture mates help him slip them off. Gets a little expensive after a while.

That's a pain! And, of course, you can't use an all nylon halter on a turned-out horse, so...dang.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:18 pm

One benefit of Canadian winters are the cold, so hopefully, he will burn some of that fat over the winter. Plus, we make our own hay as we have cattle as well, so my husband saves the low end grass and slough hay for the horses as they are fed free choice all winter. Not alfalfa/grass mix that the cows get.

On another note, lesson last night went well. Felt good to ride a broke horse and actually work on myself. Makes it a lot easier when you get on the green ones. Just worked on laterals. Was fun! :)

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:51 pm

I buy leather that is meant for making belts at my local craft store and cut into tabs, use lock tite and a chicago scew.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:27 pm

Aleuronx wrote:Our goals are simple as my trainer says, 'Crayons'. Trying to build on good experiences, get out in the fields for hacking once 1st cut is done, walk/trot/canter obediently and confidently and loads of field trips.

We're rounding out the end of August and I wasn't feeling particularly productive but am glad I went back to check my goals. Clearly this is why 'crayons' indeed as we have accomplished quite a bit!

1st cut was tough to come in with lots of rain but we have been making a point to get out in the field for hacking or cooling out after rides. I will definitely be keeping that up as I think it's so important for the young horses brain.

The canter transition is still not quite where I'd like it in consistency and the right lead can be troublesome as she's not as easy straight that direction but it's improving. In the last couple weeks we have been adding in the idea of leg yielding out on the circle and some broken lines at the trot and canter as well as *some* forward and back within the gaits. I had a great ride last night where I felt like we could finally do baby 'work', nothing too strenous but little asks here and there.

Field trips we definitely aced! 2 proper schooling show tests and 2 other field trips to new farms as well as a lesson with my trainer is quite a bit for us! Kora did really well and I'm pleased with her attitude even if she gets worried she comes back fairly well. About all I care about for a 4 year old. We're off to our trainer on Monday for a state of the union of where we're at and what our next steps are. I can't wait!!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:15 pm

StraightForward wrote:Not exactly sure how things will go over the next two months but:

Annabelle - Hopefully resume under saddle rehab work in mid-July. Cross fingers for soundness!

Tesla - take her off-property somewhere other than the vet. Start more serious groundwork. Maybe climb on sometime in August.

Kyra - I'll probably ramp down to riding her 2-3 days a week once Annabelle is under saddle again, and also play it by ear with Susan's ability to start riding again. Continue working on quality transitions, even contact and bend. Play with different trots, maintaining impulsion.

Me - Now that work travel and vacation is over, exercise off-horse at least 2x a week. Back on the low-carb bandwagon.

Well, summer is basically over.

Annabelle - tonight will actually be her first day tack-walking. No setbacks, I think I just got a little oversold on what to expect with the ProStride treatment. It's looking good now, 3 months post-injury, and we are keeping her sane without too much chemical help.

Tesla - Took her over to the rehab facility since Annabelle needed a MagnaWave treatment, and tried to get her in the pool. She didn't swim, but at least it was a good field trip. Haven't gotten on yet, but she is ground driving pretty well, and lunging a lot better.

Kyra - Got quite a bit of work. Actually exceeded expectations here and have some pretty nice simple changes and making progress on trot and canter HP.

Me - doing well on diet and exercise. The pounds I want to shed don't seem interested in going anywhere, but I think I'm leaner by a bit and feeling more fit, so I'll take it.
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “Dressage Training”