Cool down and keep going! September/October Goals and Progress.

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Cool down and keep going! September/October Goals and Progress.

Postby Chisamba » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:52 am

musical comedy wrote:
demi wrote: I personally have to keep in mind that to walk away from DDBB because of mean and meaningless comments would be a waste because I'd miss out on some very pertinent info/advice.
I have a suggestion. Why don't you et al just put offending posters on Ignore and nobody quote them. That way, you never have to hear another mean and meaningless comment from them. I don't mind talking to myself, muckraker that I am.

Anyone who has ridden to the "FEI" levels as you have MC, has comments worth consideration. I am accused of having a tone . In fact I commented on Demi's thread .
Too closed minded to consider a looped rein connection. I dont care enough to post my pics of me winning in western riding, or talking about the 100s of miles I've ridden endurance riding or on the continental divide trusting my horse to mind its footing. I've literally herded thousands of cows on slack rein. But I am in the group judged as being too obtuse to consider anything other than dressage.

If you post a photo labelled connection, in my opinion, you are opening a discussion. If you post a photo in the training thread you are illustrating your journey. I look at the two types of post differently. One discussion is theory. The other is appreciation of the journey.

I really enjoy seeing the progress others make. I try to be helpful in my comments. At times I read several times before posting to try and remove any "tone". But I am still perceived as having a tone.

Dressage is a difficult sport to be involved in if you only want approval. Hell even my horses disapprove sometimes.

But yet I can still be defensive when I post photos, but I do it anyway. I think I see progress in me and my mare. I suppose I assume others can see it too.

On a side track, my nephew has had a feeding tube inserted, had enough of his face repaired to open breathing passages, but is still in a coma and on the ventilator. His helmet face guard was pushed into his face during the fall breaking his nose and sinuses and eye sockets. Dont say anything here because I dont want to derail the thread, but if you pray or jingle all would be appreciated. Yes I should have put the update in it's own thread, but I dont want to make a thread about it. I'm wishy washy that way. Sigh
Last edited by Chisamba on Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:54 am

Moutaineer, I am interested in if you think the one bell boot helps. I am particularly interested if soreness elsewhere develops. I hope you will share your finding. I also found the acid and chains comment very funny.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:34 am

Chisamba, trust me, we are being very judicious in our use, bearing the possibility of compensatory soreness developing in mind.

Best wishes for your nephew's continued improvement, that's a horrendous injury, but I never ceased to be amazed by what they can do nowadays.

No boot today. The arena was a complete zoo, so we were forced to do a lot of focused walk work to start with, which gives us lots of opportunity to work on loosening and strengthening lateral stuff and things like TOH, and 1/4 TOH into half pass, which is an interesting exercise.

Once we had space, we went back to the canter leg yield down the long side work. I was really pleased with how he handled that in both directions. It felt very straight and balanced.

I'm trying to be more playful and experiment more, and get better at changing things up if things aren't working perfectly rather than just doing more of the same at greater intensity. I owe that to both of us :)

During this, rain and hail were pounding on the arena roof, and thunder and lightning were crashing around the barn, so I was pretty happy not to die, quite honestly.

Tomorrow, however, is supposed to be 70 degrees and sunny. I've got a huge design project on that should be reaching final approval (please God...) so I don't know if I'll get out to ride or not... Oh well, got to pay for it somehow....

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:36 am

Our show yesterday went pretty well. I was actually riding properly and not just sitting there like a lump. We had some mistakes. There is one part where you have to transition to canter after a trot sequence, and in typical Odin fashion I gave the canter aid at C and he went "Whaaaaaaaaat?" Note that we rode this in the warm-up quite a few times, and every time he just pinged into it.

Our turns-on-the-haunches were also not great. A lot of tension, so to stop him breaking into a jog I had the world's most painfully stuck walk. And what was supposed to be a w/t transition ended up being w/bounce-bounce-bounce.

But in general it went well. Let me know if anyone wants to see the actual test. I thought it might be interesting if we could compare the tests from across the world, to see what we're all going through :p Unfortunately I didn't have a photographer, which was really disappointing.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:28 am

Major jingles Chisamba- sending lots of good wishes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:54 am

mari- super news! Send you a PM.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:12 pm

Chisamba, healing thoughts for your nephew.

Mari, would love to see your test! I've struggled a bit with Ding's walk piris and in fact they are only now getting reliable.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:34 pm

I've been abstaining from posting for a while due to pervasive ennui-- very hard to keep up progress when I can only ride in the afternoons during the week, and temperatures are still > 99F until the sun goes down. This summer, just like all the other summers before, has been brutally hot. I'm not coping well.

And speaking of not coping well, I was forcibly reintroduced to the arena footing by Kiwi yesterday. No warning, just boom. Spiked like a football. I spent the afternoon with a rotating selection of frozen vegetables polo-wrapped to my lower back. Getting older is not fun, everyone. 10 years ago, I'm not sure I would have even felt this. Sure as heck feel it now!

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:40 pm

Here is my test. It was the Elementary, which seems to be equivalent to US 2nd level. Is this sort of what you guys ride in the US? How do your second-level tests compare? We can always start a new thread on this if this is not the right one.

The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:51 pm

yes but the counter canter on a circle is harder than our 2nd lvl
I don't believe we release the rein at canter till 3rd but I'd need to verify

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:02 pm

Posted about my hip and rehab in the Rider Health and Fitness thread that MC started about Hip/Groin pain...

Interestingly, when I ride, I can't override with my leg know, which leads me to wonder if I haven't been over-riding with my thighs all along... I'll post more when I get out of this meeting.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:49 pm

Dresseur wrote:Posted about my hip and rehab in the Rider Health and Fitness thread that MC started about Hip/Groin pain...

Interestingly, when I ride, I can't override with my leg know, which leads me to wonder if I haven't been over-riding with my thighs all along... I'll post more when I get out of this meeting.

do you mean riding with thigh pressure?

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:06 pm

Ok, done with my meeting... So, yes, I mean that I think that I was riding with too much thigh pressure. It's one of those things that as you get more coordinated, and stronger, you don't realize that you are actually exerting more pressure than you think that you are. I remember some of my last lessons before the injury where I was on one of Andrea's newly minted GP horses and I was complaining that I felt that she was heavy in the bridle. I caveated that with saying that I knew that was a me problem, but we didn't have time to delve into it before injury-gate. We suspected that I was maybe using too much back (carrying too much tension in my back which would tell the horse to go forward, and then riding with the handbrake on through the reins. But I think the extra power was coming from my leg that was pushing the horse against my hand.

For example, I'm riding on Maya and it feels easy. She's light in the bridle, I think do x and she does it and theoretically, because I can't do much right now to create a certain feel, I'm a bit of a passenger, it should feel worse. But what seems to be happening is that I have to be better in my shoulders, take more hh and get in/get out, so that I don't have to anchor myself with my thigh in the saddle to withstand loss of balance or any pulling. It also means that I can't hold my thigh on for lateral work or push the horse out to ride "inside leg to outside rein". My leg is very, very draped, and just there. Through this, I realized that Maya was staying lighter, I was able to feel subtle reactions when I do use my leg lightly for a second to create the bend for say, SI, and then I expect her to stay there. It's just very, very interesting and I think this could actually be a huge deal for me. Again, when I rode before, I didn't feel like I was actively straining or holding or anything, my leg felt loose and drapey... but I think that I was steadily holding it with too much pressure and trying to create bend by holding it against the horse's side even though in my head I was releasing. I think it was just all too much, and by brain hadn't gotten the memo that I didn't need that much.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:11 pm

yeah, I had been doing this last year too. It's a fine like of support and not too much where it blocks. this is where my HI and HP are improved. There is a way of activating the core/thigh/seat but not tensing the muscles.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:14 pm

It's just funny in an embarrassing way that when your body has the muscle memory to do x, your perception of the forces being applied is very off. In a way, this injury has re-set all that, so I have beginner muscled strength with the mind/knowhow of an advanced rider, so I'm taking this opportunity to feel my way through and practice the basics. That's something that I've always done, but this is forcing me to re-evaluate and I think it's kind of great. Silver lining and all that. As long as I continue to get better that is....

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:27 pm

yeah! I am so glad you are riding again! I think horses need different things at different times. I noticed when I go up a level in hardwork I usually cycle trough the same evasions that persisted at the lower level and "dealt with"- they show up again, my trainers insist this is typical and expected. So I might also have to change my thigh use/pressure if I am say facing a particular asymmetry again that requires more babysitting.
However, yes, I totally understand it's amazing to realize how much pressure we are holding and not realize it.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:31 pm

Dresseur wrote:It's just funny in an embarrassing way that when your body has the muscle memory to do x, your perception of the forces being applied is very off. In a way, this injury has re-set all that, so I have beginner muscled strength with the mind/knowhow of an advanced rider, so I'm taking this opportunity to feel my way through and practice the basics. That's something that I've always done, but this is forcing me to re-evaluate and I think it's kind of great. Silver lining and all that. As long as I continue to get better that is....

I've felt this way about horses as well. Years ago, my then-almost-GP horse almost took his foot off in a fencing accident at the cusp of becoming a GP horse (had some big PSG and I-1 scores that year, but we were taking the summer off showing to get strong for GP the following year). The injury recovery took the better part of 6 months, but because both sides of his body were equally weak after a significant amount of stall rest, he came back to the GP work much stronger and more even. That may be why the programs that gave winters off back in the day were able to get back to where they had been fairly quickly-- all the training is there, you just have to rebuild strength (and you have the opportunity to do that in a systematic and even way).

So, that's what I'm hoping for my riding as well.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:38 pm

Ponichiwa, what is happening with the palomino?

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:46 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:That may be why the programs that gave winters off back in the day were able to get back to where they had been fairly quickly-- all the training is there, you just have to rebuild strength (and you have the opportunity to do that in a systematic and even way).
I don't buy into that, but it's my opinion. The rule of thumb (by experts for whatever that is) is that after a month, the horse starts to lose fitness. Then, for every month off, it takes that much to get the horse back to where it was before the downtime. In other words, 4 months off, takes 3 months or more to get back in shape. And...it has to be done slowly. Yes, horses come back without following that rule, and some don't have a problem. Others do. It's not the cardio, but the soft tissue. I am very careful about things like that. Even a week off (which rarely happens for me) I would start back very very slowly. Heck, even after one day off, my training regime is light.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:42 pm

Yikes Ponichiwa, I know what it's like to examine the footing more closely being spiked myself a few weeks back. Even just the soreness seems to appear quicker and stay longer than when I was younger.

Kora and I had a bit of a mixed weekend. During Saturday's ride the neighbor threw the woods started up a chainsaw. Thinking to myself, oh he's probably just cutting up firewood, until swoop, crash, BOOM. Oh no, he's cutting down a large tree in the woods. Thankfully no major bolting/spook but she did get a bit worried. I thought to myself well we haven't died yet so we're probably okay and continue on with our ride in the outdoor.

Until the next tree comes down. And then a THIRD!!! At which point I called it quits as she wasn't being bad just worried and tense at the turned out horses running and quite rightly the sounds of the world crashing down on her.

I didn't have such high hopes for our schooling show adventure the next day but we went with it anyway. A larger actual show venue and she was very good. Tense to pickup trot in the warmup but settled quickly and went to work. We even got good canters each way in the very busy warmup so bonus points for the day!

Here's our wobbly test, she looks and forgets how to place her legs, our halts are quick and dirty as I wanted her to move off forward and straight than the backwards/suggestive centerlines we've had before. So all improvements! We skittered home before picking up test as it was late and long drive but scores checked today were a 65.3%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lok3jL2k-mw

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:59 pm

musical comedy wrote:Ponichiwa, what is happening with the palomino?

He's doing super. We're in the very boring-to-update but necessary phase of training that's nothing but building muscle and improving reactions to the sideways and forward aids. But he's definitely my go-to horse for a low-stress ride. He tries really hard at everything, spooks at nothing, and I can toodle around on the trails or actually work in the arena and he's easy either way.

Just hit a year under saddle last week, and we've got a decent semblance of TL with hints of 1st. LY is great, but need to work on scope in the lengthened strides. He can do it, but sustaining (with quality) just needs some muscle and time.

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:17 pm

Thank you for posting that test Al! You mare is such a nice mover, very stylish.

General comments re the Board: I love when people posts their photos and tests/videos. I would never criticize anyone for doing so. Keep it up, all of you who do. Even though I may not comment I like seeing the comments that follow and like seeing everyones trials, tribulations and successes. I promise that if I ever get in to the show ring I will post the video and endure and appreciate comments, all and sundry.

I know MC and Chisamba are considered to have 'tone' and there have been times of sharp perhaps but I would not want them to quit posting; they have a depth of experience that can make me think about things and I always consider their views.

Goal for me is just to improve my stamina. Slick is a good citizen. I just need to keep at it and be patient. Its hard sometimes. I sympathize with all the hip pain people since my foot is always a chronic issue. We just soldier on!

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:50 pm

musical comedy wrote:
Ponichiwa wrote:That may be why the programs that gave winters off back in the day were able to get back to where they had been fairly quickly-- all the training is there, you just have to rebuild strength (and you have the opportunity to do that in a systematic and even way).
I don't buy into that, but it's my opinion. The rule of thumb (by experts for whatever that is) is that after a month, the horse starts to lose fitness. Then, for every month off, it takes that much to get the horse back to where it was before the downtime. In other words, 4 months off, takes 3 months or more to get back in shape. And...it has to be done slowly. Yes, horses come back without following that rule, and some don't have a problem. Others do. It's not the cardio, but the soft tissue. I am very careful about things like that. Even a week off (which rarely happens for me) I would start back very very slowly. Heck, even after one day off, my training regime is light.

Agreed-- but I can see how it could help for some horses. My rehab for my GP horse was very careful, but that's what made me realize that he got to be much more even in both reins (due to pushing off both hind legs equally).

I generally advocate for more consistent riding = better, and wouldn't ever lobby for fence-related injuries, but in that one specific case I saw why (maybe) some of the programs of the past had decent success.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:02 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:[Agreed-- but I can see how it could help for some horses. My rehab for my GP horse was very careful, but that's what made me realize that he got to be much more even in both reins (due to pushing off both hind legs equally).
Yes I do, and for various reasons. When I quit for 5 months in 2017, my horse came back a lot better. In his case, I think he just needed a break.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:51 pm

Mari, your tests are interesting. That is like our elementary but the giving rein comes up in medium. It's different how the walk stuff is split up, ours tends to have walk TOH/piri's with the free/extended walks. I'm not sure I'd remember yours!!
Your comments are similar to what I get :)

Ponichiwa, sorry about your fall. Not fun. I had to drain fluid off my knee last time I fell off and a graze on my other leg got infected. I was like what is this?? Definitely don't bounce anymore. Just splat.

Aleuronx, nice test! LOL at the little spook at the flowers at A, the wobbly bits will disappear in no time. Looks like a nice venue too.

Interesting about your muscle/body stuff Dresseur. It was only recently drawn to my attention that my left leg is very weak and I don't really use it, and it is probably why I feel that I am always holding with my left hand. Not sure if this has crept in after my ACL reconstruction or if it has always been?

Took the big horse to our working equitation club day a couple of weeks ago. If he was a hand or two smaller he'd be sooo good at it. He hadn't seen any obstacles before, and apart from a freakout at the spear ring bull when he first saw that (most horses do) he had no problems. Such a nice horse :)

NorseyWE1.jpg
NorseyWE1.jpg (24.75 KiB) Viewed 23316 times

NorseyWE2.jpg
NorseyWE2.jpg (26.15 KiB) Viewed 23316 times

NorseyWE3.jpg
NorseyWE3.jpg (22.57 KiB) Viewed 23316 times

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:23 am

Dresseur - very interesting body awareness observations you made regarding force and our perception. I've found this really an issue when trying to address a weaker side in both horse and rider. Flight mentioned this too with the weaker leg on the rider.

Horses IMO like people have a weaker vs stronger side - I can get my guy very easy from my right leg into the outside left rein. However, change direction and it is not as easy although greatly improved. He still sometimes will lean more on the left rein - so I feel like my left leg really gets a work out using more force (maybe what you described?).

During our warm up I do lots of lateral work at the walk (SI, HI, HO, baby HP) and square figures (supple the shoulders and mobilize the hind legs quarter TOHs) - always trying to be aware that he is moving forward /pushing equally from both hind legs. TOTAL focus on my part to feel and know where and what his body is doing and for me to be right there in that moment for any correction. After this warmup routine - then onto trot and canter with lots of change directions and small and large circles. (I'm convinced I'm burning some calories on my part - just hoping to drop a few pounds for evidence now.) :roll: I hope my rambling made some sense.

I really hope someday the left direction will be as easy as going right. It's not easy to be ambidextrous.

Flight - very cool pics. Those working equitation courses are not as easy as you make them look. Great training exercises!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:45 am

Awesome flight! Always love your pics

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:20 am

Some of us, I know Flight and Rosey, for example, use video to self evaluate. I was doing very simple canter work today, 20m circle, transitions of collection to working canter to stretch canter attempting to maintain tempo. When I reviewed the video the changes of "shape " were much less than I thought.

Some one mentioned earlier, that if it feels good we might not be working hard enough!!

Also I kept thinking I needed more inside flexion, and I might already have had too much.
Last edited by Chisamba on Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:15 am

Chisamba, do you have mirrors? When Olympic riders are clearly still relying on mirrors, nobody should be beating themselves up about riding issues.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:51 am

Flight - awesome pictures! So cool that they get to go out and do different things.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:05 pm

Tsavo wrote:Chisamba, do you have mirrors? When Olympic riders are clearly still relying on mirrors, nobody should be beating themselves up about riding issues.

I do have mirrors which helps a lot with posture and angle, but less with cadence and tempo

demi

Postby demi » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:48 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:I've been abstaining from posting for a while due to pervasive ennui-- very hard to keep up progress when I can only ride in the afternoons during the week, and temperatures are still > 99F until the sun goes down. This summer, just like all the other summers before, has been brutally hot. I'm not coping well.

And speaking of not coping well, I was forcibly reintroduced to the arena footing by Kiwi yesterday. No warning, just boom. Spiked like a football. I spent the afternoon with a rotating selection of frozen vegetables polo-wrapped to my lower back. Getting older is not fun, everyone. 10 years ago, I'm not sure I would have even felt this. Sure as heck feel it now!

I hear you about the heat!! Even some of my non-riding Texan friends get pretty tired of the heat by this time of year. And the older we get, the hotter it seems. But just remember it will be over soon.

Personally, I don't mind giving mine a break for a few weeks this time of year. The heat starts hard in May and by late June it is RELENTLESS until mid September. It doesn't cool down much at night and the horses get stressed. Rocky does better with the heat than Emma, maybe because of the breed. A couple of years ago I rode Emma as usual thru the heat, and in May of that year, when the flies were rabid and the sun felt like fire, she just had enough and bucked me off. I didnt realize it then, but now I think it was all just too much for her. This year i have been riding thru the woods a few times a week but no arena work for the last two weeks.

Sorry about your up close and personal experience with the arena footing!

It should start cooling off at night soon. Hang in there!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:05 pm

I never like hearing about close encounters with the ground...glad you weren't hurt badly, P.
Moutaineer, your description is helpful and interesting. Thanks.

Demi, it is even hot here in E TN! We have another week in the mid 90s---which is truly weird for us this time of year. Hot planet. Emi and I are doing a lot of hacking in the woods and hence have not been looking in the arena mirrors lately.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:12 pm

I had a clinic lesson today with an instructor I ride with every 2 months or so. Everything was about self-carriage and getting him less reliant on my hands for balance. And coaching me every stride to readjust, up-up, leg, give. It was hard work, but I think if I can practice my aids and timing to be more consistent, and not allowing even the slightest bit of lean even when I'm tired, we can make a lot of progress in the next few months.

A friend took some videos.
A little bit of trot work. I'm horrified with how busy my legs are in trot... :shock: Granted, I was instructed to keep him electric off my leg, and to really exaggerate the inside aids for this lesson, so I did try to think "nudge nudge" more than usual, but yuck. It's all I can focus on in the trot videos. Any tips for a quieter leg in the trot???
https://youtu.be/aE_Hggp-cjc

Here is a baby half-pass in canter. Even in the lateral work, she really focused on getting his head up and his bum underneath him. They frame didn't matter, it was more getting him off his front end so he could actually move his body around.
https://youtu.be/ff13BC5FSw8

A flying change! Whoop whoop!
https://youtu.be/KBzr9oydMiw

So I'm all dressaged out, jumping saddle only for the next 9 days :lol:

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:27 pm

We have had perfect weather. It had been delightful.

The sword head cantered on the lunge line. He really is the most giraffe like horse, such a flat weak back! But he is prettier in motion.
Last edited by Chisamba on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:11 pm

Love the pics and updates. We have been hacking out a lot, including a few baby (and I mean baby) XC fences. Or the log in the trail that you can't go around, which he usually steps over. He has a blast is so much fun. His right lead is picked up easily out in the fields. So I've created my first evasion, knowing he has his part in it too.

Mikey's butt is getting very muscular. His belly has gotten a little huge. He's prepping for winter.

Dressage lessons are going well (knock on wood), but we've backed off a tige to let him be him and develop. He is such a big mover, he needs to mature and his low-slung hocks need time to get stronger. It's coming. i also fit a day of poles in a week and his bravery has increased.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:29 pm

Mari, you must be excited and proud of your progress. Since you asked for your leg to be more quiet you will have to train him to give a better response. Honestly even to get his front up, it's all about a quicker response to the leg.

Your baby half pass will have more freedom for the shoulder to lead when he is less " earth bound" which is also related to quicker hind leg response when moving the shoulder over.

What a cute couple you make.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:54 pm

Mari looking good! What a lovely arena too. Are they houses so close to the side?

I used to have terribly busy legs and I couldn't keep my lower leg still at all, way way way worse than yours!! It came from a riding a more lazy type horse and I had to concentrate so hard on keeping them still and more importantly, having the horse react to the leg aid.
Interestingly, the other week I had a lesson with a A level judge, who was very german (and very funny without realising it :D) but he had me using my legs every 3 trot steps or so to keep Ding really active. Now, I've always thought that you waited for the horse to slow, then asked and got a reaction and then still again, but he said you can't do that, because you lose what you have got and you have to keep it that activity and he will learn better to to keep it himself. So, I tried it and it has actually worked well and Ding is self maintaining that activity better than I've ever had him going.
It's not asking every step though, and when you ask you feel a good reaction each time.

Yay for a nice flying change too :D

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:14 am

That is a really good point from your lesson, Flight. When I do this, Em goes even better. It's like it is easier for her to respond when she is still in a moment of energy--not falling. I just need to remember to be ahead of the moment! lol

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:15 am

Looking good, Mari! Nice change :)

I think Flight has a good idea. And if you can focus on the rhythm of using your leg every three trot steps, it may help develop more intentional and less random movement. However, you don't look that bad to start with!

I scarcely dare say this and am typing with my fingers crossed, but Laddie seems to be going "oh, THAT right hind leg... I'd forgotten about that. Right-O, yes, I guess I can use that!"

Yeah, lets all try to stay on the ears side of the horse this season. Glad you weren't hurt too badly P.

It has been 40 degrees and pouring with rain today. But we are expected to be back in the mid 70s by Saturday. Colic weather.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:56 am

Chisamba wrote:Mari, you must be excited and proud of your progress. Since you asked for your leg to be more quiet you will have to train him to give a better response. Honestly even to get his front up, it's all about a quicker response to the leg.

Your baby half pass will have more freedom for the shoulder to lead when he is less " earth bound" which is also related to quicker hind leg response when moving the shoulder over.

What a cute couple you make.

Thanks Chisamba, he really is an angel to work with. Getting a quicker hindleg is such an ongoing mission for us. He tends to move quite straight behind, instead of flexing his hocks under. And my timing of aids is not good enough (yet) to improve that as much as I want to.

One thing we've found that really helps is warming up with my instructor doing in-hand work with him (but with me in the saddle, what do you call that?). So we do very energetic collected walk work, SI and HI in that walk, some piaffe attempts, and transitions to canter. It works really well to remind him that yes, he has hocks, and yes, they can bend.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:59 am

Flight wrote:Mari looking good! What a lovely arena too. Are they houses so close to the side?

I used to have terribly busy legs and I couldn't keep my lower leg still at all, way way way worse than yours!! It came from a riding a more lazy type horse and I had to concentrate so hard on keeping them still and more importantly, having the horse react to the leg aid.
Interestingly, the other week I had a lesson with a A level judge, who was very german (and very funny without realising it :D) but he had me using my legs every 3 trot steps or so to keep Ding really active. Now, I've always thought that you waited for the horse to slow, then asked and got a reaction and then still again, but he said you can't do that, because you lose what you have got and you have to keep it that activity and he will learn better to to keep it himself. So, I tried it and it has actually worked well and Ding is self maintaining that activity better than I've ever had him going.
It's not asking every step though, and when you ask you feel a good reaction each time.

Yay for a nice flying change too :D

The building close to the side is a clubhouse, it's a very nice venue, one of the local warmblood studs close to our yard.

I like the idea of asking every 3rd step, I'll play with that a bit to see how it feels :)

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:13 pm

From Wednesday's lesson, homework exercise for the week to facilitate use of the right hind: At the trot on a 20m circle in the middle of the ring (so there are two open portions), HI on the "closed" portions, to LY out on the open portions. Starting to the left, the easier direction, then going to the right, the more difficult direction. Then test the half-pass.

As a rule I don't ride on Thursdays, so we will be starting this exercise, gently, today.

I also like the idea of every third step to keep the horse in front of the leg.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:24 pm

Getting nothing accomplished right now, made it home from Portugal and got sick plus we are having record breaking heat that I just cannot face trying to work horses in.

Stay cool all and happy riding!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:18 pm

oh no! The trip sounds super though....! feel better

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:23 am

It was actually cool this morning for my lesson. We ran through second level test 1 and first level test 3. All in all it went well. I got true mediums and Junior is really using his top line well. I changed bits which seems to have really helped. I went from a typical 14 mm K-K to an older tongue relief snaffle Myler bit with a roller in the middle. It's legal and seems to be just enough to get Junior to really use his neck properly and release at the poll as he should when reaching and accepting the bit. We'll see in a couple of weeks if the Judge agrees with 'our' assessment. Hard to believe that Junior was just barely started 18 months ago.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:34 pm

exvet wrote:It was actually cool this morning for my lesson. We ran through second level test 1 and first level test 3. All in all it went well. I got true mediums and Junior is really using his top line well. I changed bits which seems to have really helped. I went from a typical 14 mm K-K to an older tongue relief snaffle Myler bit with a roller in the middle. It's legal and seems to be just enough to get Junior to really use his neck properly and release at the poll as he should when reaching and accepting the bit. We'll see in a couple of weeks if the Judge agrees with 'our' assessment. Hard to believe that Junior was just barely started 18 months ago.
This is clearly very impressive. I wish I could say the same about my progress. With respect to the bit change, a good while back you mentioned this legal mylar with the port and I went out and bought it for my gelding. He liked it, so thanks for that. Well all pick up little morsels of info that help us with our training.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:54 pm

musical comedy wrote: This is clearly very impressive. I wish I could say the same about my progress. With respect to the bit change, a good while back you mentioned this legal mylar with the port and I went out and bought it for my gelding. He liked it, so thanks for that. Well all pick up little morsels of info that help us with our training.

Thank you and I'm glad the bit worked for your horse. What is ironic is the fact that I shelved the bit for a while, at least for Junior. It was during my previous lesson that my coach/instructor asked if I thought Junior would do better in it [again]. She kept observing that Junior would ride into the hand and often give the right response to the aids but he wasn't really 'finishing' through his ears [as she likes to say]. Her distinction with how the energy is to be moving through to the bit and over the topline by focusing on the horse's ears and not just poll or nose (ifv vs. bfv) really helped me concentrate on how Junior was using his neck. Like so many welsh cobs his comfort zone is to keep his neck contracted. He has good length of rein (longer neck than many welsh cobs) which actually makes it more deceiving when you look at him go. It is all too tempting to just accept the 'pretty' picture and pleasant ride that he offers. Well it was pretty clear going back to the mylar there was enough release in tongue pressure that he is clearly stepping through and using his full top line much better. It's like it gives him enough 'space' to lift and elongate his neck even more out of the shoulder thereby lifting his whole thoracic sling and look more like a second level horse should. I find it interesting that tongue pressure was preventing him from telescoping his neck out fully. I suspect his stage of training as well as the fact that he has all his adult teeth and 'a stable mouth' may be accounting for the improvement/response I'm seeing and feeling now to this particular bit.

Now to open another can of worms.......shoeing. I usually don't shoe all the way around until a horse hits second level. Most of mine that I've backed and brought along are at least a late 6 or 7 by the time they get to this stage. I have noticed that in deeper footing Junior's sincere attempts to sit and engage have occasionally resulted in his slipping on one or the other hind like he's losing traction. For this reason I guess the next shoeing will entail getting shoes on all 4.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:58 pm

exvet wrote:Now to open another can of worms.......shoeing. I usually don't shoe all the way around until a horse hits second level. Most of mine that I've backed and brought along are at least a late 6 or 7 by the time they get to this stage. I have noticed that in deeper footing Junior's sincere attempts to sit and engage have occasionally resulted in his slipping on one or the other hind like he's losing traction. For this reason I guess the next shoeing will entail getting shoes on all 4.
I'm no help here except to say that I'm having a similar problem. This is the first barefoot horse I've owned and she has never worn shoes. I find her slip in my footing, which really isn't that unstable. I wouldn't even know who to ask and trust about deciding on shoes. Even the best trainers aren't always up to snuff on farriery.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:02 pm

Re shoes: Rudy is a teenager and never had a shoe on his foot until he was 7, and even then, IF he was shod it was usually only the fronts. This year, I noticed the same thing as exvet, that he just wasn't able to sit properly, and so I have been having him shod all the way round. He uses his back end much better now and seems quite happy in these shoes, go figure. I'll still have to pull them when it snows, but I think he'll go back to all around next year. Tio too now wears back shoes but he's a horse that needs shoes in general.

Return to “Dressage Training”