Cool down and keep going! September/October Goals and Progress.

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Ryeissa
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Cool down and keep going! September/October Goals and Progress.

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:34 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:56 pm

heddylamar wrote:
While *I* wouldn’t consider the root problem behavioral when it’s clearly a side effect of her anxiety, if we’re using Chisamba’s definition, it is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think behaviorists might characterize behavior that comes out of anxiety as emotionally motivated behavior (rather than operant behavior).

I also think that emotionally motivated behavior is the most difficult to change, because with horses anyway, it's so often anxiety/fear related. Fear is difficult to address without associating aversives with that fear, and the problem with aversives is their association with punishment (and the problem with punishment is its association with supression, and the problem with suppression is that it can lead to learned helplessness).

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:41 pm

So, returning to my purpose on this thread, so far I have had small increments of progress with both equines, which is what I hope for, but sadly not without detours, which I would rather avoid. I truly miss having an upper level horse to keep me fluid and practiced in the things I am doing to bring Kimba along.

I miss my Kea. I have had moments of overwhelming sadness when I have difficulty with Kimba on things that in hindsight seemed easier on Kea . I am not comparing horses, I regret having lost skills because of choices and circumstances. It's just nicer to have an upper level horse to hone skills on while bringing another on. It helped my timing and my confidence.

Flight, I so understand the feeling of getting helpful input that has you drifting in unknown territory.

Rye, I am not in the mood to argue. I continue to study at night so that I can help the people in my care. Sometimes it relates to my training and riding. I thought the connection would be interesting to others. Apparently that connection is not as obviously as I assumed. I bow out.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:10 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blob

Postby blob » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:54 pm

Rye--just curious, you've brought up the board not developing in more than one thread recently--what do you mean by that?

While we certainly don't have as many active members as UDBB did, there is a steady flow of posts from people with varying opinions and experiences. There is back and forth discussion as well. Sure, there are not many heated arguments, but given it's a smaller group I think that is actually a plus.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:16 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:45 pm

Just because we don't respond to your question(s), Rye, doesn't mean we're not interested in interaction and exchange.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:25 am

So, name opinions. When I got the Sword, he didn't come with a name, but has the very unusual blaze which to me looks like a sword. So i started calling him Excalibur. But it's long and cumbersome so got shortened to Scally. So some of the barn folk asked why i named him after s sheath cleaner, and others were of the opinion that Scally has a negative racist connotation that I was unaware of. I thought it was a pirate term.

So I sort of by default referred to him as the sword head. I would like socially sensitive opinions on a name for the beast ( beast meant affectionately) he is friendly, personable but mischievous. He loves tossing the hose out of the water tub, flipping said water tub, is a genius at opening latches, and will walk over fences that are not electrified. He tried to walk over a round oen panel like a human would climb a ladder. . He is a bit over 17 hh and the panels became V as he "climbed " them. I suspect they worked him hard to keep him tired because he was quite skinny when I got him. As he has plumped up his mischievousness had increased exponentially. I like him.

In terms of work, he will now pick up the canter in each direction but it's big and forward. Not for nervous riders. Lol
Attachments
20190928_151311_240x352-01.jpeg
20190928_151311_240x352-01.jpeg (25.19 KiB) Viewed 23936 times

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:02 pm

If you keep "sword" in mind, maybe just translate it? Maybe to an African language? I only know a little Swahili---something like Panga/Upanga?
I think in Spanish sword is more similar to your nickname - espada---could be Spada.

Impressive that he is figuring out the canter. It actually looks pretty good, if zoom-y!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:52 pm

I was thinking Sabre, but I like both of Piedmont's suggestions, Chisamba.

It's always so rewarding when they go "Oh, so that's what I'm supposed to do!"

Cold and blowy with snow in the air here. A lot of rain yesterday and last night, Just a warning from Mother Nature that we need to get our acts together on winter prep. To that end I had 15 tons of gravel delivered yesterday. Now to spread it to mitigate the worst of the mud next spring--horrible job! We've been digging ditches and moving fence panels and generally working our rear ends off.

So with all that, and the Client from Hell at work, I haven't ridden as much as I would like. But, the few rides that I have had since we got cleared by the vet have been quality ones. I'm trying to be more experimental and playful, and make sure he's interested and engaged in the work. The right hind at the canter feels like it's swinging under more to me. We are working on it in short bursts so as to build and not to tire. I have a lesson tomorrow, so we'll see whether it's magical thinking on my part or reality!

We are also working on more adjustability in the trot. We have some work to do on that before we go back in the show ring, and I also feel it helps build back muscle, strength and self carriage. Yet again, moderation in all things, though.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:49 pm

Gladio= Latin for Sword.

Spada- Italian for sword.

Both would be cute horse names...? have an awesome week everyone!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:01 pm

So I figured it best to post my video from one of today's tests in the Young Horse forum as opposed to here; but, we went to our schooling show today and got our monies worth. I ended up not being able to ride since my lesson. I worked three days straight of 12 hour shifts mostly on emergency and surgery. I just didn't have enough in me to produce a decent ride any of those nights after getting home. It is so nice to have a sane pony. He was so level headed and because of this we were able to capture one of the loose panicked stricken horses during our warm-up just before our test ;) After that excitement, we ended up with a 62.6 at first 3 and 64.4 at second 1. I was satisfied with the scores despite knowing that Junior is capable of so much more. It was our first time showing these two tests and only our second time to ride them. Lots was revealed and I certainly confirmed for myself that my plan of not campaigning at the lower levels is a smart one. That is not to say we aren't working on the foundation and building blocks needed for the upper levels; but, even though this was a schooling show, the judge was a USEF S dressage judge. Her comments on my test were, well, just stinking priceless. My re-entry into the dressage show world is telling me that very little has changed LOL. Still I'm pretty happy with Junior and feel what we have to work on is doable. This old lady though needs to stretch up and sit up better.........you'd think having just hiked rim to rim at the grand canyon (not my first time) in one day I'd have enough core strength to sit better; but, I guess we all have those nagging habits we'd like to shed. I'm no different for sure LOL.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:19 pm

Ooh, I really like Sabre for Swordhead!

Exvet, you're telling us you came off mega work hours, caught a loose horse in warm-up and then did a couple of totally acceptable tests. Sounds very on track to me! Congratulations.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:26 pm

Thank you piedmontfields. Yup you pretty much summed up my day so far. Now heading out to answer to some of my family's needs - mother, children et al. Hope to be able to get some sleep tomorrow since I'm off of work <phew>

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:57 pm

oh my- horse with limitations? really? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that is rude.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:52 pm

Exvet - HUGE Congratulations!!! :D A sane talented pony is priceless.

demi

Postby demi » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:40 am

Sweet test, exvet! I’m excited for you and am looking forward to watching Jr climb the levels. He really is a handsome guy.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:36 am

Thanks everyone. I too am looking forward to having more adventures with Junior. He is my 'larger' stinker pony and definitely a keeper.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:37 am

Exvet and DJ so nice to see your tests and progress.

Exvet I so often feel that my horse has progressed but I am still thecsame ol me , which I think is akin to what you expressed. But from where I'm sitting you and your pony are coming along very well.

P. I like the suggestion of Sabre but I know a horse with that name. Also. The panga is as brought rough item of butchery, (I've seen one and used one)not a long blade. But I totally appreciate the suggestions.

Moutaineer, you said something that reminded me of my last clinic. Playfulness. It was suggested there and I have found it helps both progress and appreciate more, so thanks for the reminder.

Good riding all!

blob

Postby blob » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:53 am

For names:
How about Blade?

Exvet--saw your video and more detailed report in the younghorse forum. Looked like a lovely test, congrats! Those comments must have been frustrating to get. As someone with 'non-traditional' breeds also, I'm most bothered when a judge doesn't think my horse is capable. Hopefully it's not a judge that frequents your area too much.

Borrowed Freedom
Greenie

Postby Borrowed Freedom » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:01 am

Okay so had a lesson last week and we are now working on improving madam's impulsion, as one of the comments was that she tends to lack impulsion in her lateral work. Another thing I need/want to improve on is the accuracy of my transitions. The one judge at the show judges very often at higher levels and I know the one thing he looks at is accurate transitions. Rode her then again yesterday and worked through the tests. This morning (back at work tomorrow, work at a school and we had a week's holiday) worked her over cavaletti and worked on our transitions in canter between lengthened and collected. She's definitely starting to feel sharper in her transitions, especially from lengthening to collecting.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:14 am

It turns out excalibur is also known as Caliburn, so I'm going to call him Caliburn, Cali fir short, it stays in the range of my original thought and bypasses all the unwanted connotations. I guess the different versions of the name relate to being either Latin or French.

So Cali, the sword head. Maybe I shall make his whole name Caliburn the sword.

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:19 am

I also keep circling to names around swords or that time period. Errol Fynn - Robin Hood, Three Musketeers - their names, Lancelot, Count Monte Cristo...Dauphin (title to eldest son king of France)

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:53 pm

Kora has bounced back from her big overnight show adventure quite well. I was expecting her to be more wiped from it but she hasn't really.

We had some good last taste of summer moving into fall air weather this weekend. I worked on the reliability of the canter transitions and leads. Trying to sharpen up the response to the aid that she canters when I ask not 2-3 strides later. I'm also making a point to work on stretching in the trot at least once each session. So far she will reach out but not downwards a whole lot so that's what we striving towards.

We did manage to make it out into the fields this weekend and have a positive time with no shenanigans. Saturday we did wtc warmup in the outdoor then walked out to the field and did a little bit of trot. Sunday we attempted to head straight out but it's bowhunter season and we could spot the 4 wheelers from a ways so walked with some jigging back to the arena and just worked in there. I'm not worried, she just needs to keep getting out there and doing it.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:09 pm

Did you name Kora after the last airbender?

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:46 pm

A working student actually suggested it for a barn name. When I purchased her last year the breeder was calling her by her registered name, Kouture. It was a "K" year for the KWPN registry. I have lots of preferred names that start with K than that but I believe the bad juju with changing a horses registered name so it stays.

I wasn't keen on calling her that for the day to day but wanted to stay with a K name so she'd adapt quickly. Of course now she oscillates between being called Kora or Babette (the French Doll from the Ragged Ann & Andy movie).

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:42 pm

Guys! I'm taking my first lesson since my injury back in February! And Miro is cantering under saddle and holding sound!

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:17 pm

Dresseur that is great news. Enjoy!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:22 pm

Dresseur wrote:Guys! I'm taking my first lesson since my injury back in February! And Miro is cantering under saddle and holding sound!

Yes!!!

khall

Postby khall » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:31 pm

Well it is not cooling down here in middle Georgia at all. In fact we are breaking high temp records unfortunately. I just cannot face this heat at this time so have whimped many days. Also dealing with the build project (very frustrating) among other familial obligations. Horses are working very little and I am looking forward to a break in this heat and praying for some rain, we are DRY!

I did ride Joplin last week with no issues. Started a bit of basic yields aka TOF started. Easy easy to the L much harder to the R which surprises me. But got through to her and much easier the second go around. Still in love.

Looking forward to cooler temps which are set for next week and some rain!!

Congrats exvet on Junior's 2nd level debut! Dang good for the young man. Pretty impressive he could handle to hoopla that went on before hand as well. Good boy!!

Yeah dresseur! So happy for you and M!!

Chisamba no ideas on names for S, but good for progress! I bet he has a big canter, he is not a little horse.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:19 pm

khall wrote:Well it is not cooling down here in middle Georgia at all. In fact we are breaking high temp records unfortunately. I just cannot face this heat at this time so have whimped many days. Also dealing with the build project (very frustrating) among other familial obligations. Horses are working very little and I am looking forward to a break in this heat and praying for some rain, we are DRY!

Our heat is nothing like yours, but it still ruins a good part of most days in the summer. So if I ride in the morning when it's still cool then I have to do everything else in the heat, or vice versa. Not that it isn't nice to have the whole day, but I hate the heat.

So last week, when my brain finally cooled off enough to start working again, I realized that what I needed was a tractor with a cab with AC! And at my age there's no sense waiting, so I traded my old tractors in on one with AC so that I can scrape the pens and mow no matter how hot it gets.

Should have thought of it 6 months ago, but at least it'll be all ready to go next summer when it gets hot again.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:27 pm

So much riding and so much progress, I love this topic.

I've been busy with work, remodeling the house, parenting, and working the beast so I'm playing catch-up. So cool to read everyone's progress.

We are figuring out the canter. He really wasn't off my right leg properly (makes so much sense now... :oops: ). His trainer rode him when we went on a field trip to her place and got after me and him. So now we can canter both directions and in a decent manner. Baby steps I guess... And we are hacking a lot and trotting and cantering in the fields so that helps as well.

The biggest aha is slowing him down just a tige to get the right cadence. He has a cadence that works for him and when we get there, we get the most wonderful over his back, swingy trot. And it's getting to be more and more regular now. But it's up to me to hold him to that. Go figure.

He is so much fun!

blob

Postby blob » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:53 pm

I'm taking MM cross country schooling on Thursday with a friend at a venue that hosts a lot of eventing shows. i'm not sure we're going to jump much, we might just canter along while my friend schools her eventer who needs practice being a bit more chill. But we'll probably pop over some tadpole logs and I'd like to see what she thinks about going into the water. Mostly, I'm looking forward to getting her out of the arena and letting her have some fun. Last time I had her in a big open space, she gave me several clean, easy changes, so maybe we'll play with that too.

RP has been slowly doing his rehab back into work and seems to be doing well. Just walk & trot without a rider right now. But I think i can probably get on him soon and do the same stuff we've been doing without a rider with one. My only concern is that given it's a shoulder injury that rider weight on the saddle might put pressure on a spot that's a bit sensitive still. And given his history of mounting issues, I want to make sure me getting on him won't cause pain. Either way, I'll make sure to do my first ride back on him when there is someone around.
It's been almost exactly a year since I got him and on one hand I am disappointed that we didn't accomplish that much in terms of riding goals. He's still very much a training level horse who is still working out consistency in his frame and tempo. But, there is also a lot of stuff that this year has taken care of: his ulcers, his poll sensitivity, his mouth/bitting issues, him being underweight, his feet, etc. And he's a hell of a lot more confident and less nervous. He's never going to be confident and self-assured about anything and everything like MM, but he's no longer walking into any situation expecting the worst, which i think is a big deal for him.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:07 pm

Please excuse me while I act like a 6 year old child... I had an AMAZING day yesterday! I had my lesson on Maya (Andrea's GP horse), and while I've been riding her on my own for the past few weeks, I was deliberately just doing pony rides as to not aggravate my leg. We ran through all the GP work (except for proper piris because it's more important/valuably for me to keep things flowing and to be able to adjust within the working pirouette, and the 2 and one tempis because I need to get some dexterity back. But, it felt fantastic, she felt fantastic. In the changes, I worked on not over riding things because if you stiffen too much she starts popping ones. Because I've been out of the saddle for so long and am relatively weak, I'm either over riding or under riding a lot right now because my body perception is a bit off. Good news is that I haven't lost the feel, I knew when the canter got heavy that I had lost the hind and she had flattened a bit, and I could tell that I needed to make adjustments in some of the movements and that I needed to boost the power up a bit in the trot etc. So, I feel like I'm CAREFULLY back!

And then the big news. I SAT ON MY HORSE!!!!! AND OMG, HE FEELS AMAZING. Not one hiccup or misstep. He's weak of course, and he's only doing a very little bit, but to sit on him again, and to feel him feeling good???? I embarrassed myself by crying. I'm still not cleared to ride him - he's wide and likes to bounce around, and I can't risk re-injury - but Andrea knew that I "needed" to feel for myself that he was sound, especially because the look of him right now is a bit loosey-goosey. We're not out of the woods yet, but I feel like there's hope that he's going to have a full recovery.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:22 pm

:D :D :D

Wonderful update, Dresseur!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:27 pm

That is very nice to hear, Dresseur

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:45 pm

awwwwwwwwwww so happy

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:12 pm

Great update, Dresseur! Very pleased for you!

A bit of a frustrating riding week here, I had a great lesson on Monday, Laddie moving better than ever and much progress in both the trot and canter work, but the rest of this week has been occupied with other, "life" things. I should be able to get back on tomorrow and play with some of the stuff from Monday, if I can remember what it was...

I'm happy for completely non dressage reasons. Vet was here at home this morning to look the old farts. Dear old Lucky got a pretty clean bill of health and will live to fight on for his 35th winter. He'd been looking pretty seedy earlier in the summer, but then blew a sizeable abscess and has been doing pretty well since then.

He ended up cutting a fairly sizeable hole in Walker's hide to remove the odd growth he had right where the girth goes, but his view is that it wasn't a melanoma, which was what my concern was. No riding for him until it all heals up, so I guess we are probably done for the year--and of course it is perfect fall trail riding weather. Oh well... there are cows an hunters out there so it might not have been so great!

He and pony got their teeth done, so I have two very sleepy looking guys hanging and drooling out there at the moment!

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:26 pm

Yay Dresseur doesn't it feel grand to be back in the tack?!?

Had a mixed week. Hard to tell but we're experiencing some tension when riding with others/during lessons when I come to the barn after work. It could also just be fall temp drop spicey-ness? To be determined. On one hand I don't want to kill too many lesson kids or myself but we're going to need to sort this out before the snow falls and we are stuck in the even smaller confines of the indoor.

I got out to the barn today and had a wonderful ride in the outdoor and then hacked in the field with some intermittent spooking at the wind. Babies! We're on the nitty-gritty work now so it's important to keep her happy and fresh but also quick to the aids. Winter is not my jam.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:50 pm

Hi Team,

Life and work have been too busy for me to post much but I have been following along with everyone's updates and enjoying all the pics.

Bliss and I are carrying on. He's getting stronger week by week. Still have so far to go with him, but I feel like we're on the right track and are making steady progress.

Pic from some of the trot work yesterday which I was quite happy with. :)
Attachments
Oct6_2019.jpg
Oct6_2019.jpg (101.43 KiB) Viewed 23276 times

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:50 pm

Nice!

blob

Postby blob » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:06 pm

Bliss looks lovely as usual, Rosie!

Yay, dressuer, so happy for you!

MM's cross country field trip got moved to this week. But we did go on Sunday to school at another barn with a friend. There ended up being a lot of chaos with wild dogs knocking things over and two horses going after each other while under saddle--yikes! And I was very grateful that MM, as usual, took everything in stride.

RP is doing well.. I got on him for the first time since his injury on Saturday and it went really well. He was quiet when i mounted and pretty good under saddle. He's definitely not carrying himself as well as he did before injury and time off, but I think that's mostly a strength issue and he was still good about stretching down. Still just doing walk mostly with little bits of trot. Though based on his pasture behavior, it's clear he's perfectly sound in the canter. And in even better news, I actually had to cut down his grain! I spent most of the past year trying to put weight on him and now he's become almost chubby! I do think he's the type that now that he has the weight, keeping it on won't be hard. But getting here was definitely a struggle. I think in general a lot of little pieces related to health are probably finally coming together and his body has a chance to use calories more productively.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:10 am

I had a really lovely ride on Kimba today, she truly does not mind hard work, and seems to be looking for lightness in her contact. She used to really push into the reins when she anticipates or if we are doing more complicated things, but she us beginning to stay in better carriage and wait til she understands. I rode without the whip today and she was just as responsive as when I carry it.

Her half pass is much more supple and I am trying to develop more oomph . (That technical term, lol).

Sunstorm has found a new home , which will be a happy one. Lots of trail riding and hunter paces with just occasional ring work

Caliburn is beginning to understand canter transitions, but he is the most playful mischievous horse. If he can reach it with that long neck and head of his, then it's a toy. He is quite genius at escape, and thinks safetu snaps on his stall door are a mere challenge. He is quite the character.

All in all it's going well.

My nephew said mom for the first time since the TBI, he has been at level 4 in the ranchos levels of cognitive functioning which is distressing. Also he has been discharged from hospital to rehab, kind of indicating that they can no longer so much for him medicinally, so now it's the long road back.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:29 am

Rosie, whenever I see pictures of you riding I get serious leg-alignment jealousy :D
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:31 am

Dresseur, great that you are riding and that you're riding Miro! Really happy for you. Blob, good that RP is going ok too after his injury.
Rosie, looking good as always! Mari - I'm the same, we have some really nice looking riders on this forum.

No major goals kicked from me yet. I did my second PSG on the weekend, and we scored a bit better 64, but I think I practiced the 4x changes too much so that's what he thinks he has to do now, so mistakes in the 3x. He does suck back a bit when we are out at comps and the comments were mostly 'hollow' and 'not over the back'. We are both such butterballs which is a touch depressing. I've been resting a paddock for 6 months, and even in this drought it grew a bit of grass. I moved the horses into it and Ding seriously did not stop eating until it was all gone!! Norsey at least paces himself. I'm a bit the same way though, have to eat the whole packet of chips/biscuits whatever... :roll: So, the second test Ding was not interested. It was hot and he was done so there was mistakes in that test too. So, need to get some weight off both of us and fitness back up again.
I watched someone's test, and she was riding a pony, and it was so accurate. I think I do have to sharpen up my accuracy, you really don't get away with it being sloppy at this level.

Norsey, I've been wanting a better shape from him. He is not well put together and tends to get a flat base of neck and then a tight gullet. So trying to work on him coming up more through the withers/base of neck. It's happening, just comes and goes a bit at the moment.

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 10.00.32 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 10.00.32 pm.png (170.92 KiB) Viewed 23165 times

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 10.04.42 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 10.04.42 pm.png (180.63 KiB) Viewed 23165 times

Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 9.42.25 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 9.42.25 pm.png (154.48 KiB) Viewed 23165 times

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:47 pm

Flight love the canter pic! It's funny has fitness has a way of rearing it's ugly head. I'm hoping to zip off a few more pounds and fingers crossed that the young horse stepping up work will help with that.

Had a successful quiet and obedient ride in the indoor with lesson kiddos. I just stuck to what Carl Hestor refers to the 'pony trot', keeping it light and easy. We will keep working through it, but this week was much better.

Because I can't stand how cute she was I'll share some of the photos a good friend of mine took while we were at Regionals.

Trot.jpg
Trot.jpg (213.48 KiB) Viewed 23034 times

This one just cracks me up with her ears, love them. Also shows me that I'm collapsing my ribcage when asking her to step over. Will need to be mindful of that.
Those ears tho.jpg
Those ears tho.jpg (201.12 KiB) Viewed 23034 times

This one I like the connection better on, we both appear more even and she's not dropped at the poll.
Better connection trot.jpg
Better connection trot.jpg (212.49 KiB) Viewed 23034 times

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:54 pm

Super, Flight and Aeluronx!

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:06 am

Love the pictures and everyone is doing so well. Hope those that are still on the path of recovery find a quicker path that suits them. We had an awesome lesson today. Junior signed up to really finishing through the bridle at all gaits today. It was an exercise at the walk to halt that really seemed to make the difference. My instructor had us go so very slow, owning and thinking about every step and making sure Junior was reaching all the way into the bridle to the bit no matter what. My instructor said that this lesson, Junior kept his mouth closed and really appeared to be thinking about everything once we took away the momentum. Then the canter, ooh la la, I was able to still my seat and pick Junior's back up and have so much more engagement, wow. Of course at his age I still need to build stamina and strength to maintain these aspects of really being connected and through but it was so nice to just have him answer the question correctly and be so willing to do so. Happy trails everyone. I've got some clipper blade sharpening to do before I body clip this weekend.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:02 pm

great to see everyone's pictures and progress. What a pretty girl you have, Aleuronx.

Well, I had quite the adventure last night/this morning. A friend and I took her horse and MM cross country schooling yesterday evening. We had a great schooling session though a bit shorter than ideal because we were losing daylight. When we had loaded off the trailer, MM slipped oner her way down from the ramp and landed off the trailer on her butt. She seemed totally fine afterwards and felt great under saddle. But when we were loading up to go back home, MM who has always been step perfect when it comes to trailer--instant walk on, suddenly was not so sure about getting her hind legs on the ramp. In the process of trying to coax her on, she tried to jump off the side of the ramp and banged her head badly against the side of the trailer, splitting her nose down the middle in a pretty deep gash. Well...after that she REALLY did not want to go on the trailer. My friend's horse, an excitable TB, began to freak out and we thought we were going to lose him, so I sent my friend home with her horse. She took him home and came back to get me. I was hoping the downtime inbetween would reset MM a bit and we could get her on the trailer and then home so a vet could come out and take care of her lip. Long story short, we did not get MM on the trailer and home until 3am. And the vet wasn't able to come out until this morning. We are all a bit traumatized from it (well, I am at least!), but MM has 15 staples in holding her very clean cut lined cut (no jagged edges) together and the vet sees no reason to suspect any complications. And although it's a very ouchy spot, it's also a fast healing one.

I think my bigger worry is--will I ever get this horse willingly on a trailer again? TBD. But we will definitely need to spend some time practicing to get her to trust the whole process again. Though I am definitely relieved that I don't have show entries out anywhere and we can take our time.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:20 pm

oh how scary!

Return to “Dressage Training”