Share your weird horse dreams

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Share your weird horse dreams

Postby PaulaO » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:03 am

Nightmares or night geldings.

Last night I dreamt I was getting Ariel ready for a trail ride. After I rode her down the long flight of steps going outside, I remembered that I didn’t pick her feet. I got off and found she had lost a front shoe (in real life she has never lost a shoe). Then I noticed she had rear shoes (which she doesn’t have). Her rear feet were substantially smaller than her front and were filled with melted cheese and a small ball was in the cheese.

Then I woke up.

I used to dream that the vet had to remove one of Bob’s front hooves, and replaced it with a caster so he could whizz about.

PaulaO

Re: Share your weird horse dreams

Postby PaulaO » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:08 am

double post

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:38 pm

I just had one last night. I dreamed I was riding my Appaloosa at the championships (he died 15 years ago) but I don't remember seeing the spots in the dream. We were waiting to do our freestyle and I realized I didn't have my coat on, so we ran back to the barn to get it, hoping not to miss my ride. I did find the coat, but then realized the stirrups had fallen off. I woke up right after that, so I don't know if I made it to the ring on time.

It was one of those dreams where you can't get anywhere because everything goes wrong.

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:46 pm

I don't tend to dream of the horses much, but if I do it tends to be my old horse when I was a kid and I'm trying to find him. Somewhere I read that dreams are always a bit stressful. I have to say dreaming that horses feet were filled with cheese is very different!!!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:16 pm

Tanga wrote:I just had one last night. I dreamed I was riding my Appaloosa at the championships (he died 15 years ago) but I don't remember seeing the spots in the dream. We were waiting to do our freestyle and I realized I didn't have my coat on, so we ran back to the barn to get it, hoping not to miss my ride. I did find the coat, but then realized the stirrups had fallen off. I woke up right after that, so I don't know if I made it to the ring on time.

It was one of those dreams where you can't get anywhere because everything goes wrong.

Those are the kinds of dreams I have. Dressage anxiety dreams have replaced school anxiety dreams for me.
Keep calm and canter on.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:48 am

I dreamed I was walking to the barn one morning and there was a big dark horse in the paddock. I realized it was Billy and I said what are you doing here? He said I just came by for a visit.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:53 pm

StraightForward wrote:Those are the kinds of dreams I have. Dressage anxiety dreams have replaced school anxiety dreams for me.

Me, too!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:10 pm

Rockabilly, that is really cool.

While I often use dressage tests as a way to practice/fall asleep, it is pretty rare for horses or my horse to show up in my dreams. When she does, she is always a "guide" type character.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:53 pm

When I dream about Apollo, it's always stressful. He is not in his stall and I can't find him. The barn is a warren of stalls and various barns. Then I find him and he is too thin. You get the idea. I wish I dreamed about him as a guide character. He is always happy in my dreams and oblivious to his plight.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:48 pm

I had a dream once that I was riding the stallion at the barn in front of the then trainer. In my dream the horse was white instead of black, but it was still him. I was doing everything the trainer asked, perfectly, and he was shocked at how good I was.
Wishful thinking probably :lol:
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:15 pm

Although I don't have the horses anymore (almost 2 years now), I still dream about them often. A more surprising dream was one I had a couple of weeks ago where I got to ride California Chrome! I remember thinking about when the gate opens needing to wrap my fingers in his mane. I then got on him and it was like dashboard with everything in the wrong place, the reins didn't work, leg aids didn't work, he no speak English! The last I remember, we were schooling on a 20m circle, he was trying so hard!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ca ... &FORM=VIRE

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:33 am

LeoApp I have the same dream about Bob! That the barn’s configuration has changed and I can’t find his stall.

Rockabilly, Billy was definitely visiting you. I firmly believe people and animals visit us through our dreams.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:50 pm

The best horse dream I ever had (and the only one I remember vividly) is I got the opportunity to ride a friend's FEI horse who I had never ridden before, and we went across the diagonal and did a perfect line of one tempis (which I have never ridden), so it was an awesome dream overall.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:43 pm

rockabilly i had a similar, i suppose dream. after the barn fire i felt like the universe was telling me to give up horses, I mean, how do you start over after 22 horses your own and those in your care, all die together in a pretty horrible way. So i was not sleeping well, unsure of what to do, etc. I had a dream, it was Kea. She used to gallop up to me very fast and furiously, and then stop dead just in front of me, and put her head near my chest. So anyway she galloped up, fast and furious, and stopped in front of me, but instead of lowering her head to my chest like the old days, she held it up high and looked at me, she did not speak but she told me in no uncertain terms, " how dare you waste everything i taught you by giving up" then she ran off, i saw her in the distance run up to a whole herd of horses and then lead them off into somewhere out of sight. The next day a friend called me and said " i have been looking at horses, will you come with me." so I started to look for a barn with empty stalls and then i went to look to see if Kimba ( then known as "Mistake" ) was still there. She was.

I do not think i have had another horse dream that i remember, I do not dream much

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:01 pm

That gave me goosebumps Chisamba

Bip
Herd Member

Postby Bip » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:55 am

About 15 years, when I moved from San Diego to MA, I took a terrible TB with me. He wasn’t even off the track, I bought him basically as a barely halter broke 4 year old about a year before the move. I put a year of professional training on him, but he was obviously not an appropriate horse for an adult ammie. I do not know why I took him, I should have. Given him away before the move. And he did not adjust well moving from Southern California at MA. I struggled for another year trying to find the right situation and management for him, but just couldn’t. I was new here. Plus that was when DH was having his transplant. It was a very stressful time.

Anyway, one night I dreamed someone was shooting a machine gun at me, and I had to hop on a horse and gallop away. And in my dream I knew I couldn’t count on that horse to save me, and he turned into my first horse (that I’d sold in college 5-6 years before) and I knew, despite the fact that he had been a hot OTTB, I could trust him to save me. And he did.

I woke up with this warm feeling about him, and I realized I needed to find the TB a new home. My dreams don’t ever tell me things, but this time it was pretty clear that my subconscious knew what I needed to do, and it found a way to tell my conscious mind.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:48 pm

A few nights ago, I dreamed that I still had Rosette, and I showed up at the barn to one of the stall cleaners trying to teach her something. I told her - please don't try to train my horse, she has enough problems already. This person (not a real person at my barn) protested and tried to show me what she was doing, so I went to talk to the BO about it. In the meantime, the stall cleaner took her down to the arena (which was actually the arena at a barn where I used to board, because that's how dreams are) and commenced teaching her something else, perhaps to show me what an excellent horse trainer she was. Just as I was talking to the BO, all hell broke loose in the arena, and I woke up just as she was about to try jumping out over the post and rail fence.
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”