Cool down and keep going! September/October Goals and Progress.

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Cool down and keep going! September/October Goals and Progress.

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:59 pm

Blob, I'm so sorry MM and you had such a scare! Given her solid mind, I bet there was actually something weird going on. Give it time and patience with your skills. I'm glad it was not too serious (although I bet it was plenty shocking).

A...x, Rosie, Flight---WOW! Really gorgeous photos. Flight, I was thinking Ding looked BIG in a good way (you know how horses develop balance and power and look bigger?). Rosie, Bliss is clearly sitting more and developing nicely---great update. A...x, your mare is so gorgeous, you are doing great together and I LOVE her ears.

My current obsession (between too much travel this month) is having super smooth changes of bend in all gaits/configurations. It feels like improving the landing into the new outside rein. As a dear friend pointed out, a flying change is a change of bend, so you need to be good at that. Oy! Duh! I have had trouble in the past with a clear and prompt change of bend to the left. So we are working on that and it is improving. Also doing a lot of canter-walk-canters and canter-halt-canters---with a change of bend mixed in. For people with horses headed towards changes, I will say that wish I had known how relevant this work is :oops: .

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:47 am

Oh, that's terrible Blob. I hope MM heals up soon and is able to get over the trauma. I believe it was HeddyLamar's mare that needed re-training after a similar injury? This is a good reminder to me to get on with Tesla's trailer training while I'm off work next week. I've been lax about it, but things can go sideways so quickly in those situations. :(
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:23 am

Oh, yikes, Blob! I'm glad it wasn't worse and that she'll mend well.

She might just surprise you and be no problem to load again. However, I think I'd use a different trailer and drive like a granny for a bit.

Piedmont, funny, we were working on changing the bend at the canter without disturbing the rhythm in our lesson today. "Changing the bend does not mean changing the lead" was the philosophy behind the work.

It's been wicked cold here for the past couple of days--could get down to single digits tonight, which is a bit much for early October. I find I very tiring.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:09 pm

Luckily once MM was on the trailer she was totally content and unloaded fine. I think after slipping getting up, she is weary of that ramp--so we'll we have to spend some time getting her up and down that ramp again.

I have a friend with a step up trailer, so I think this weekend I'll try to see if she'll get on the step up easily, I'd love to quickly replace last time's incident with a good loading incident and I am hoping without the ramp she'll see no problem getting up and then getting a snack in the trailer. Then we'll have to tackle ramps again at some point, but. I wish i had something that resembled a ramp that we could practice on that wasn't actually attached to the trailer--just walking up some kind of ramp that led to a platform or something...

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:17 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Piedmont, funny, we were working on changing the bend at the canter without disturbing the rhythm in our lesson today. "Changing the bend does not mean changing the lead" was the philosophy behind the work.

Yes, these are like parallel practice activities, I think. As you said, changing the bend in canter does not indicate a lead change. But the ability to change bend very clearly is related to a lead change I think!

In my modest efforts, I have been working on "getting rid of the slog bobble" that can occur for us in a change of bend from right to left (it took us too long to achieve a good landing in the new outside rein, which then impacts a good FC).
Last edited by piedmontfields on Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:08 pm

This "cool down" has been a touch dramatic. A month ago it was still in the 80's for daytime highs and now we barely break freezing! Yesterday it got all the way up to 40 but a stiff breeze made it feel much chillier. So I'm a wimp, not riding right now. I did finish building all my jumps and repainted the cavelletti before the big freeze, and I even played over them a bit so I guess it's all good.

Blob, I hope MM heals quickly and uneventfully. Tio sometimes slips on my ramp too so if you come up with something to make your ramp slip proof (or if anyone has ideas) let me know. I replaced the mat a few years ago and I sprayed sticky rubber stuff on it, but when temps approach freezing, the ramp is still slippery.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:04 pm

I cannot imagine having below freezing temps already!! We are celebrating a cool down finally:) After having over 100 F temps last week:( It was 54 this morning and feels like fall, YES!! Highs in the 80's though still which is a bit of a problem since most of mine (Joplin is the exception) have started putting their winter fuzzies on. I agree with exvet, I HATE body clipping, but it is a necessary evil here. Made much nicer with my new body clippers that are quiet and so much lighter and can be used with battery power instead of outlet. So need to dust them off and block out time soon.

Not doing as much as I had hoped this week, vet trip Wednesday, my dad NQR Tuesday and dealing with the build project which is a PIA and then some plus needing some updated work done on our house, never ends! We are still in drought conditions, trying to keep my arena watered has been somewhat successful but requiring ours of the sprinkler going.

Put Rip on the lunge to see how he was breathing and to watch him go after chiro, he looks fabulous! Breathing sounded better as well. Joplin and Gaila both look great on line after their mini vacation now to get some US time on both.

Blob so sorry to hear of MM's trailer boo boo. As for slipping on ramps (which I have on my trailer and have had issues with) I replaced my matting with the rubber matting that Sundowner uses. Much more stable of footing (my farrier has it on his shoeing trailer and says he has never slipped even with snow and winter weather mush on it) I've been very happy making the change to that matting material. No slips since.

Al what a gorgeous mare you have!!
Rosie lovely pic of Bliss, definitely engaged more!
Flight those are good scores though at PSG! Norsey is such a big guy, wow nosebleed type there.
Chisamba glad all is going well even with your escape artist! He sounds like quite the character!

Happy riding all!!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:07 pm

My Trailet ramp has some sort of "fuzzy" rubber on it--non slip, but a PITA to sweep off! I've seen lengths of coconut matting somewhere sold for the purpose, too, so probably a big doormat that you could roll up and shove in the back of the truck or the dressing room could work.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:41 pm

piedmontfields wrote:
Moutaineer wrote:Piedmont, funny, we were working on changing the bend at the canter without disturbing the rhythm in our lesson today. "Changing the bend does not mean changing the lead" was the philosophy behind the work.

Yes, these are like parallel practice activities, I think. As you said, changing the bend in canter does not indicate a lead change. But the ability to change bend very clearly is related to a lead change I think!

In my modest efforts, I have been working on "getting rid of the slog bobble" that can occur for us in a change of bend from right to left (it took us too long to achieve a good landing in the new outside rein, which then impacts a good FC).

I agree with Moutainer and disagree with Piedmontfields. If you teach changes relating to change of bend, once you are doing straight line changes you have to reteach them.

I spend the extra year it takes to get the changes independent of bend.

As always jmho

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:57 pm

Or I should say the extra year it takes ME to get straight changes. I know there are flying change gurus on here.

I do believe being careful to get them right now will have dividends later

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:13 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:15 pm

Chisamba wrote: I agree with Moutainer and disagree with Piedmontfields. If you teach changes relating to change of bend, once you are doing straight line changes you have to reteach them.

Well, I am always willing to be completely wrong in my understanding. But let me see if we are talking about the same thing.

I am not considering a change of bend to be the basis for a flying change (or the aid for a change). However, I am working on improving the quality of my changes of bend *in general* and "in all gaits* (not near a change). I think one benefit of this focus has been that it is making my canter lead aids clearer with a quicker response, which is useful for a good change. Chisamba, you probably don't have to worry about that, but apparently I did! :lol:

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:34 pm

Piedmont fields, I do work quite a lot on serpentine every ride, and on being able to flex in either direction in the neck, along with changing bend from the leg aids without changing the contact, in other words being able to change bend with very little rein aid, so I am sure we are similar in that. I just do not want the horse to change lead with every change of bend

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:38 pm

So, Cato is going back to Andrea's this Wednesday to start his under saddle work. He is confidently longing in the indoor arena now, and I am able to spiral in/out, push the gaits out a bit and bring them back and do quiet transitions on the line. He's also totally cool with me climbing all over him. I'm still thinking he'll have a hotter feel under saddle, so I can't wait to see what the verdict is on that. In Cato's place, I'll be bringing home Velvet. She's another one of Andrea's horses that I believe is a large pony. We'll see when I pick her up. She also needs to be started, so I'll be doing all the initial work - saddling, bridling, starting the longing etc. until it's time for Miro to come home. Andrea is keeping him until he's where he was pre-injury. She doesn't want to lose more time on his training because I'm unable to ride more than once a week and I have to be so careful yet. So, she's got some lofty goals for us this coming spring that I don't want to utter yet because I don't want to jinx it. Of course... it will all depend...on him and on me staying sound.

Re the bend and changes. Piedmont I'm still not sure I understand what you are writing in regards to bend and changes. The changes really should have no bend - just a bit of flexion. But the horse should be ship straight, otherwise you get swinging changes. It works up until you get to 2 tempis and then if you are still doing changes with bend, the 2s and 1s just won't happen at all or they will be sashaying all over the place. This is one of my big issues in the changes that I'm trying to stop.

Blob, that sounds incredibly scary. I hope your horse is healing well. There should be no reason to expect that this will be an ongoing issue. Just look to make the ramp have good traction and take your time without putting any expectations on it. I'd just approach like a horse who has never loaded, and try not to feed into any anxiety that may be lingering.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:11 pm

khall wrote:Blob so sorry to hear of MM's trailer boo boo. As for slipping on ramps (which I have on my trailer and have had issues with) I replaced my matting with the rubber matting that Sundowner uses. Much more stable of footing (my farrier has it on his shoeing trailer and says he has never slipped even with snow and winter weather mush on it) I've been very happy making the change to that matting material. No slips since.

Funny, a couple years ago I asked the trailer shop if there was anything with better grip that they could put on my old Featherlight's ramp, and they said no. Poor Maya had slipped and landed on her knees one it once, but I was worried about a cor mat getting flipped up in a disorganized unloading situation, so I would just sprinkle sand on the ramp if it was at all damp to help with traction. My new Hawk has the same type of rubberized stuff as the Trail-Et, I think. It seems like it won't be slippery when damp, and since the ramp hinge is attached at the bottom of the trailer, the angle is quite a bit less.

We are keeping on over here. I've been sick for almost two weeks, so some days getting Annabelle's rehab work done is about all I could manage after getting through the work day. She was having a little bit of heat around the DDFT injury, which was rather unnerving, but it has subsided, so we are carefully increasing from the 5 minutes of trotting we did the last two weeks. Tesla is getting much better about not kicking at the whip, and is starting to long line fairly well (though she was kicking at the long line instead for a bit. I'm off work next week, so it will be trailer loading bootcamp for Tesla, and if the stars align, I just might get on her. We'll see.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:07 pm

Caliburn, ( the sword) is beginning to work over his back, canter reliably and be so full of mischief.

My neighbor texted to say he was out. When I got to the barn he was sleeping in his stall, but...the alfalfa was eaten. There were footprints everywhere, and so I thanked the neighbor for putting him back..
But no , he jumped back all by himself.
Attachments
SmartSelect_20191012-150843_Video Player_240x281-01.jpeg
SmartSelect_20191012-150843_Video Player_240x281-01.jpeg (34.41 KiB) Viewed 24182 times

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:33 am

I haven't been posting much. I currently do not have many goals except to get my riding fitness back. I definitely feel better on the horse but my core is so crappy. Today, she gave me a few strides of very nice lengthened trot and it was all I could do to go with her and had to bring her back quickly. Hopefully by spring I will be better. I actually did a bit of sitting trot today and that was actually easier than posting except I would 'lose it' at some point too. The muscle memory is there anyway just not the muscle conditioning. I am currently trying to ride 3-4 days per week. I kind of shoot for every-other-day. That seems to work for all my still tender areas (back and tailbone).

Kyra is doing great. She had a puffy ankle in September and the vet suggested we try Legend and thus far, I think that has helped. The ankle puffiness resolved and she just seems more fluid and freely forward. Thanks to Straightforward's hard work, her self carriage is definitely much improved from the last time I could really ride her w/t/c (like 3 years ago?). I know SF did a lot of canter work and canter has been a joy to ride. Just sit up tall and let her take you. Uphill with very little fussing or struggling with straightness. I did an exercise that SF has been working on (one of a series of exercises to set up flying changes) and she was very prompt with all her transitions and I actually felt a change was there, ready to happen. However, until my body gets more competent to take care of itself, I am not going to try.

I have been trying to spend about half our ride over on the trotting track while the weather is still dry. That is our version of a trail ride and due to the changing weather, children of the corn (dry, unharvested corn field that is about 12 feet from the track) and transitional heats, those have been somewhat challenging. Of course, the wind is usually calm until we go there then the wind picks up and the corn field really talks :o . A goal I set maybe three years ago was that even if all I could do was ride the driveway around the indoor arena, part of our ride would be outside of an arena to get my little arena flower outside her comfort zone for a bit.

I don't plan on pushing much through the winter. It depends on the weather as in my old age, I have become quite the weather weenie. The indoor footing is deeper than I like and most of the time it is far too dusty but I will shoot for doing some kind skills a couple days a week. I used to be so hard core. The barn owner thought I was insane when I would be out riding in 5F weather. Yeah, that has passed.

So much going on with everyone. Those that have posted pictures look fabulous. Those with medical issues (rider or horse) jingles for a quick recovery.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Borrowed Freedom
Greenie

Postby Borrowed Freedom » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:47 pm

Ok took Delilah to a show yesterday at a venue where we haven't been before. I was really impressed with how she went. We didn't place but our scores improved from the last show. We got 65.4 for Novice 5 and 67.2 for Novice 6, from judges that are both extremely strict with their scores. Some of the other riders in the class with me are FEI level riders so I'm not bummed at all about not placing this time around. It was definitely a bigger and more competitive class than the last show. I'm aiming now to try elementary at the next show but not graded, just to push both of us. Next years aim is now to get our scores above 70 in Novice

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:02 pm

Congrats BF that sounds like a huge win.

Blob, sorry to hear about the trailering mishap. I know I'm in the minority but I hate ramps. When I was doing 100% equine work ramp injuries was the number one trailering injury I dealt with and often at the show grounds.

Junior and I are still working on the basics. His self-carriage is gradually improving. We're working on the halts with a new exercise I was given during last lesson. My instructor has me walking very, very slow where I control each and every step with my seat. I practice the halt with this and then go to trot and ask for halt. By taking away all of his momentum he's forced to think about how he's using his body and I keep him coming through and finishing through to the bridle with the proper use of his neck (and not his chest/base of his neck). This has been translating into really nice trot to halt transitions. We're not what I would call consistent yet but the exercise does seem to be working.

I body clipped Junior yesterday. Last year I did this twice his only real introduction to clippers. Both times for my safety and his 'comfort' I used drugs (just on him LOL). Yesterday I bathed him (something he hates but he was a cooperative trooper) and clipped him straight through without any chemical assistance. He really is growing up, still a stinker, but a more mature stinker.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:01 pm

Gorgeous weekend with icy mornings and stunning afternoons! Unfortunately for riding, my son's marching band hosted a competition Saturday so I was busy helping out all day. (Let me digress to say that I absolutely LOVE marching band competitions and had a blast being the ticket seller/band cheered for almost 9 hrs Saturday. Oh, and our band placed 3rd.) I was too knackered to ride by the time I got home and my fingers were pretty sore from being frost bitten that morning (it was 25 with a 10-15mph breeze just for giggles) so once again I wimped out.

Sunday, I'd just finished up with Tio--who was very well-behaved btw and earned a workout in the hayfield--and was just about to get on Rudy when I heard one of the neighbor boys screaming. Now he's 8 and screams a lot at his big brother, but this sounded different, and they had just driven past in their ancient ATV. Manged to intercept him as he was running down our road (he was seriously spooked), only to find out they had flipped the ATV and brother was pinned underneath! :shock: I sent kid on to his house to get parents, called my dh and beat feet down the road to find the ATV. Crested the hill and saw ATV with child's arm sticking out from under it. Thank God, he was indeed pinned under it but only by one thigh (not broken btw) and had NO damage to pelvis, chest or abdomen, or head. I swear I've never been more relieved when he answered my shouting to him and when I got to him to assess his injuries. Dh and boys' dad rolled the vehicle off him (and almost dumped on me :lol: ) and all turned out very well. I did go back and ride but was a little distracted by all that had happened and my back did not appreciate running in boots.

Chisamba, love that story-what a cheeky little fella! Kyra's mom and exvet, so happy things are going well for you right now. Blob, jingles for MM and for future trailering. SF, continued jingles for Annabell and crossing my fingers that trailer boot camp goes great.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:16 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:49 pm

Very nice, Rye!

Excellent weekend rides here. We had a bit of a breakthrough with the right lead canter--he's finally really coming through evenly and rounding and lifting under my seat, rather than faking it. It's not completely consistent yet, but it's getting there.

Of course, this week I'm all over the place so won't have much of a chance to consolidate it, but that's life as a working adult, I guess.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:14 pm

Wow Ryeissa what a fun looking sandbox and some great looking canter work. Sue B, that sounds like quite the adrenaline rush! I don't think I would have been able to have a productive ride after that sort of excitement. Kids and ATV's scare me. We have some neighborhood boys that go busting around the powerlines near our property and I always make sure I can hear them make the return trip back home.

A bit of mixed bag these last few days. Riding wise has been great even though she appears to be too tall in the hind legs aka ass end up in the air again. I'm having to ride her very up in front to get her balanced out otherwise she ends up feeling very octopus legs and forehandy. It's all part of the process. Otherwise it's been nice that we can play with some forward and back a bit in trot and canter as well as some leg-yieldy like steps.

We've also had to deal with riding while horses hacking in the field through the tree line and lesson kids bombing around with us in the outdoor arena and she was much better behaved and more relaxed so progress.

The mixed bag part was there was some musical chairs happening at the farm she's at in terms of turnout. She was out with another mare this summer but the other mare left so she was swapped to an individual paddock for turnout. I think she misses friends unlike my previous mare so the thought was to swap her to another turnout with one other mare and if they work out she can be 100% outside instead of stalled at night. Yesterday was the first attempt and it while it was not horrible she was a bit aggressive to the other mare and then ended up moving her out. I certainly don't want anyone to get majorly hurt and I trust the barn manager's judgement on turnout acclimatization so we'll see. They might try again and just do daytime turnout until they figure each other out. Otherwise not a huge deal if it doesn't work out but I'd love for her to have horses friends.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:26 pm

Update on my neighbor kid. He had 3 cracked ribs and a bruised lung. They kept him over night for observation and he's home now. Phew!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:30 pm

how scary sue! glad it's all ok

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:36 pm

Blob - that sounds like it was traumatizing for everyone!!! On one of Bliss’s first trailer trips, the butt bar broke and somehow punctured his leg near his hock on the way down. It was a tiny wound so I completely missed it, but the next day it was swollen right up. And I couldn’t figure out why he was so reluctant to load on the way home.

It took a while for him to get over it. We experimented with techniques and it took a lot of patience but finally found the right method of motivation for him to load easily (which as it turns out is the lunge whip gently tapping his bum). Now he walks on as soon as he sees it.

Rye - what a beautiful sandbox! You guys must be enjoying that greatly. And Riot looks so fun at the canter!

SueB - how fortunate for the boy and how terrifying for you!!!

Alueronx, your mare is looking lovely! Flight - Ding looks SUPER! Very uphill! Good for you.

Thank-you everyone for your nice comments re. the pic I posted last week.

Now I have some video to go with it! Nothing earth shattering here, just showing the basic type work we generally do every day, and I think this shows he’s getting stronger. He’s changing shape, too, which is very promising.

Happy riding/recovering, all!

https://youtu.be/sbtbD6wkunA

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:54 am

Last edited by Ryeissa on Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:58 pm

Looking good everyone!

Caliburn sounds like quite a character too.

SueB glad your neighbor kid is home now with only heal-able damage. Those machines are heavy.

Thinking happy trailer thoughts for blob and MM, sorry that you had such a time and she got hurt.

I started back to riding in September after my hip injury but gradually it started feeling worse and worse again so now I have a college student half leasing her and then a pro popping her over little jumps/x-rails once a week for variety. I will be riding once or twice a week which I think will work for me until I'm completely recovered. I took a full week off after things got pretty painful again and came back feeling pretty good so still optimistic about my recovery it's just going a lot slower than I was hoping for. P seems really really happy about the jumping day.
Last edited by Imperini on Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:24 pm

Sue B, I'm glad that turned out OK, we had a similar incident end not so happily round here last weekend.

I understand what you are saying about the half-pass, Rye--that "softer" outside is what gives you the reach in the sideways movement.

Vet concurs that Laddie must have smacked his leg hard on something, but that if he's sound, keep working and keep the circulation going and eventually the swelling will go away... horses, already.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:59 am

We're having a lesson tomorrow and I hope to see if my 'pushing the envelope' has improved our halts and our self carriage. We shall see. My coach texted me yesterday and asked if I would be a demo rider for the Judges' L program this weekend. I agreed and at second level. It's supposed to be all about gaits; so, I'm going with the expectation that I'm the example of what 'limited' means. It shall be interesting for sure. Junior has recently floated teeth, shoes all the way around (just added today) and a new body clip. I'm not sure if he'll continue to be the level headed eddy that he's always been but after this weekend if he steps up to the plate I will just count my blessings.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:00 pm

exvet wrote:My coach texted me yesterday and asked if I would be a demo rider for the Judges' L program this weekend. I agreed and at second level. It's supposed to be all about gaits; so, I'm going with the expectation that I'm the example of what 'limited' means. It shall be interesting for sure.

My hope and my guess is that rather than being an example of 'limited' they want an example of a horse moving correctly and well that is a different 'type'. I think more and more judging is trying (though not always succeeding) at taking different types of movement.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:54 pm

blob wrote:
exvet wrote:My coach texted me yesterday and asked if I would be a demo rider for the Judges' L program this weekend. I agreed and at second level. It's supposed to be all about gaits; so, I'm going with the expectation that I'm the example of what 'limited' means. It shall be interesting for sure.

My hope and my guess is that rather than being an example of 'limited' they want an example of a horse moving correctly and well that is a different 'type'. I think more and more judging is trying (though not always succeeding) at taking different types of movement.

That would be nice in many ways and definitely educational for all, including me. My coach rides and shows a few PREs along with a few very nice warmbloods. She's also going to be riding though I'm not sure who she's taking. I've played before many years ago and of course on a welsh cob. He too was considered 'limited'. What was nice about that 'session' was the emphasis on where we could and should be rewarded appropriately despite being labeled a "6" mover. I'm kind of expecting some of the same; but, we shall see.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:50 pm

Well, Cato has been returned to Andrea.. I'm going to miss the little bugger, but he's really blossomed and I'm excited to see what his under saddle training brings. So, before I get Miro back, I took Andrea's latest project home with me to start her with a saddle and bridle and start the longing process. The fun thing is, she's a PONY! Meet Velvet. She's a 3 year old PRE, and is halter broken, that's about it. It looks like she's got a little room to grow, but she'll definitely stay a pony. :D :D
Velvet.jpg
Velvet.jpg (131.17 KiB) Viewed 23778 times
Velvet2.jpg
Velvet2.jpg (136.15 KiB) Viewed 23778 times
Velvet1.jpg
Velvet1.jpg (90.5 KiB) Viewed 23778 times

blob

Postby blob » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:10 pm

great to hear everyone's updates. Velvet sure is a cutie!

MM's cut is still healing--but healing nicely. She's getting a bit of a break until staples are out. There's a new mare in her pasture--a youngster who is still learning about personal space, and MM is having none of it. i'm hoping they settle down soon--I feel bad that the new one keeps getting chased off, but she also keeps doing the same thing over and over again.

RP's rehab is going well. I've been putting short, easy rides with him that have lots of walk. I was planning on holding off on cantering. But he's been running around in the pasture playing with his friends, and so today I cantered him for a bit under saddle. I'd rather him get his energy out cantering in a controlled, correct way, rather than galloping full on in a hilly pasture taking god knows what kind of tight stops and turns.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:37 pm

Nice to read of all the positive progress being made both with training and health. Well I had a great lesson on Friday. We worked on canter walk canter departs as well as the lateral work. SI to the right very easy, to the left not so much. Travers to the right almost impossible unless approached in a very specific way to start and travers left very easy......LOL...guess you can tell which is his stiff side/hollow side. Still I was pleased with Junior's efforts and his willingness to focus on the quality of the gait - keeping stretched over the top line. That is our homework for this week.

Now to Sunday.....the L grad training session.....I rode as a demo rider 10 or so years ago on Monty. It was an eye opener as it is for so many (both learners and demo riders). I figured I would probably not do it again; but, this time I was told that it was just focusing on biomechanics of the gaits not the tests or the movements so Junior would be fine to go second level and my coach needed to supply another rider. Well we hauled 90 minutes and arrived to find no stall. Junior had to stand on the trailer for close to an hour and a half before we could unload and tack for our ride time. I was pleased with how well behaved he was and then getting off the trailer and seeing cows, goats, donkeys, chickens etc all around and up close was amusing. He really didn't bat an eye and seemed right at home. There was quite a crowd at this session. Junior really didn't know what to think at first but didn't spook or shy at anything. He was a bit tense and was absolutely sure that all those people did not get the right memo, especially those right up front. Why weren't they handing him treats or pats for crying out loud???????...LOL....while another student of my coach's was having great difficulty with her very scared mare (hates going by people on the rail). Junior was convinced that they were there to play a game or be his entertainment.

Then my coach was a bit surprised to find out that we were riding segments of the tests. I bowed out for the turn on the haunches but sucked it up to ride the rest of the requests. For the most part Junior handled things for where he is in his training reasonably well. There were some not so great moments because we had no warm up, everything was stiff or distracted at first. Scores were all over the map; but, at the end of it, just like 10 years ago, I found out I ride a '5.5 - 6 mover' at best. Not unexpected at all.

The best moment, however, was when we were asked to each do a halt - rein back - medium walk. Of course we were asked to do it from the stand still (all standing at the other end waiting our turn) and to do it in front of one of the crowds and the 'funny' person holding that thing that made noise (judge doing the talking). Junior and I started the movement and it was the first time Junior was asked to approach the crowd from the left rein; so, we had a bit of a giraffe moment into the halt, a reluctant and lateral rein back with resistance into the medium walk. We took our critiques in stride and knew they were well deserved. Then the judge wanted us to come back and repeat the movement because some of the people didn't understand what parts were so bad. I said, 'really? you want me to bring a horse in training and try to ride it that poorly? I didn't TRY to ride the first one that poorly. It just came out that way due to the circumstances. I'm not going to TRAIN him to do it that way." The judge's response was basically to ride it again and she felt they would get what they wanted. So we rode it again........LOL.....and even the judge had to agree that the movement this time deserved a much higher score.....hee....hee.....hee.....hee.... The judge and crowd did get their wish, however, because one of the next riders to go had a similarly difficult first try at it and her horse failed to do the rein back with diagonal pairs as well.

I'm glad I went. It was a good experience for Junior in terms of exposure. One of the other riders on a horse the crowd really liked had a difficult time and got really down hearing them tear her and her horse apart on the movements. I explained to her that I had no trouble having the honor of riding the 'worst' mover, yup that is literally what they said. I also let her know that 10 years ago I rode a very similar horse in a very similar session and let the remarks fuel my fire to continue to train and show THAT horse to my silver medal. I told her that I'm living the deja vu and plan to do the same with my current beast but this time not settle until we earn our gold, God willing. I promised her that with an appropriate warm up and preparation for her tests, her scores at the next upcoming show will be far better. I did question my coach on the wisdom of asking a student to ride in front of such a crowd just a few weeks before a couple of shows. She knew I had weathered far worse but this was her other students' first time having to listen to such. It was pretty brutal; but, taking things into perspective and knowing the crowd, well, gaits are everything as we all know ;) and listening to how you start with that and then modify the base [score] from there, well again, deja vu..........I do so like second level; however, because at least it starts to level the playing field (we 'scored' well with our SI and travers and our second attempt at halt-rein back-medium walk ;) since we've only ever ridden 2nd 1)

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:21 pm

Mark Selfie.zip
(162.56 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
Just keeping on, keeping on. One year after our second opinion at Davis ("this is it, it isn't going to get any better."), I had local vet out to check. She said he definitely looked improved to her, though the suspensory is still damaged enough that he's never going to be 100%. Then she had to be Debbie Downer and say she thought his pastern had dropped "a little." Since it's been 4 years now since the injury and he's 15, I just can't worry about it for now. It's pretty much "a vet would notice that, few others would." Sigh. In any event, she said I could trot him some, straight lines only. I worked out that four long sides = one minute. So, we're up to 9 minutes now (I'm taking it VERY slowly). When we get to ten minutes (probably another week), I'll call/email her and ask if I could risk doing the short ends/corners and maybe a few 20 m. circles. Basically, it's monitor it, and back to walk only if there's any heat or swelling. So far, so good. Just for fun, here's a couple of pics from just before we moved last November.
Last edited by Hot4Spots on Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:23 pm

Well, I guess pic won't load. sorry.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:15 pm

Here you go. Looks like it was a zipped .pdf. Glad to hear you can do a little more with Mark. I hope he continues to improve!
Attachments
h4s.JPG
h4s.JPG (145.91 KiB) Viewed 23605 times
Keep calm and canter on.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:20 pm

Thanks. Isn't that an adorable face? (His, not mine!). Although he does have that Appaloosa, "You want me to do what?" expression.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:44 pm

So I took my ponies to a schooling show this weekend.

Rode the Grand Prix test for the second time with my gelding, and I'm so frustrated at myself. We have been training so well, and I was so excited to do it. But then, it seems like 90% of the stuff that has been going right in my lessons the past couple months fell apart about the time I lapped the arena to go in. I made a bunch of stupid errors, and I'm just so mad I want to cry. The good news is parts, including our trot work (esp the extended trot, his weakest maneuver) and piaffe/passage transitions were much improved. And, I guess, we got all the GP maneuvers the day BEFORE we showed when I tested all the buttons :roll: Maybe one of these days I can operate the buttons when everyone is watching :evil: :oops:

But in happy news, my baby horse went to her third lifetime show, and was a little rock star. She was almost totally calm, warmed up like a champ, went into the show arena and only got 2 laps around the outside (never got to go inside the ring before she showed), and she was a little trooper in her (western dressage) training level test, she even did her stretchy free walk to 100% of her capability (no gawping around at, say, the spectators, or the photographer crouched down at the end of the arena, or the big pile of Death Tires in the corner). I was SO proud of her. She's come so far in so short of a time.

As always, only crummy video screenshots of us.
Attachments
IMG_1185.jpg
IMG_1185.jpg (11.59 KiB) Viewed 23599 times
IMG_1181.jpg
IMG_1181.jpg (6.91 KiB) Viewed 23599 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:58 am

Kelo, don't be so hard on yourself. You've accomplished what most of us can only dream of with your cow pony, and it's so inspiring. The GP is a big deal and you are crushing it just by getting out there. I'm sure it will start to gel with more outings. Your filly is adorable!

Tesla came up lame tonight. Seems to be left stifle. She was long-lining and moving great yesterday. Jingles that she's better with some bute and few days in, because I just wouldn't be able to take it if it's anything serious. EDIT: she seems much better this morning, maybe just a stuck stifle.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:12 pm

So I had scheduled a lesson this past Saturday with an local FEI rider and judge. So Saturday morning Kimba came in with a minor looking scrape but very swollen and hot, so no lesson. Sunday I was scheduled to do a hunter pace, and had planned on taking Teddy, but Kimba was perfectly sound with no heat or swelling. What the heck. So I took the grey mare. We had fun despite the rain.Image

The mighty sword, ( Caliburn) is reliably cantering. His back is already changing shape, I went to sitvtrot on him and he zoomed forward so powerfully I was left behind. The interesting thing is what backward balance does to connection, obviously an example of what not to do. Zoom zoom.
Attachments
20191014_172318_320x317-01.jpeg
Caliburn trot
20191014_172318_320x317-01.jpeg (46.26 KiB) Viewed 23481 times
20191014_172402_240x251-01.jpeg
Left behind
20191014_172402_240x251-01.jpeg (35.59 KiB) Viewed 23481 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:43 pm

Exvet. I do agree, second level does start to level the playing field a little bit.

Kelo, your young one looks so compact and powerful, so nice to hear that she was very clever too, congrats on GP, well done on showing up in that rare air, and you have my admiration regardless of how hard you are on yourself, well done!

Dressuer enjoy putting the start on that little baby, and Hotspots is truly cute, both of you are.

I have a pony i sold that came home, so she is back in the line up for work, she is cute but will need to build confidence in the contact with the bit, she is flinging her head up, but i am including a photo of her too, I prefer to sell horses with a clause that they can always come back, because i do not wish a horse I have had to end up in a less than good place.

so reintroducing Daisy:Image

i hope some people enjoy photos, lol

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:15 am

Daisy's adorable! And that dorsal stripe <3

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:10 pm

Love the photos and updates! And yes, Marky Mark is sooo handsome. Glad you are able to do more together, Hots4.

I think I am out of town nearly half of this month, due to a combo of work and personal travel. Emi is getting ridden by a student when I'm gone, which is always interesting for what I feel when I get on her (let's just say there is some quick retraining to lighter aids and to a higher degree of straightness). It's worth the impact in order to keep her happy and exercised---she just is not a horse who thrives with time off.

Lately I've been quite happy with some of our trot half pass work---it is getting more even on each side. Our walk-canter-walks are becoming very balanced, soft and forward, and we are maintaining better straightness when changing leads through a transition. It's hard to see progress, but I know both of these factors are different from 6 months ago, so that is something.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:06 pm

Hope everyone is well, its pretty clear Chancellor isn't really keen on me being here and the feeling is getting to be mutual. I haven't posted much in a month and I think it was a good decision. I will continue to lurk and not share personal things/post. I hope Linden comes back but I doubt she will.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:11 am

Oh, such drama.

Marky Mark is Matchy Matchy! Glad you and the Spotted Wonder Boy are able to do a bit more, Hot 4 Spots.

Chisamba, I very much enjoy the photos, thank you, and Daisy is charming.

Kelo, you are a very talented as well as multitalented, rider.

Exvet, meh. It was useful exposure, I guess.

Not enough riding going on here. Work has been a bit vicious, bur I'm hoping things will calm down next week. Hah!

However, I did have a rather good lesson this afternoon. A couple of interesting new (to me) straightening exercises for the canter that I need to play with, including a lot of work off the rail on the 3/4 line, the success of which I need to take to heart.

We also have lovely new footing which is making everyone feel like a spring chicken, our difficult fellow boarder has upped and left, and Mette is coming back in 4 weeks (so I need to get my rear in gear,) so all is rather nice and positive at the moment.

Onwards unto a convivial evening at Book Club :)

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:18 am

M. --what a lot of good updates! Enjoy Mette, footing, and peace. I am curious about your straightening canter exercises if you want to share. I was doing canter squares tonight for the first time in a while (maybe June? it has been a rough year). First attempt was like "ugh, give me room!" says the mare! So we do it cowboy style off the rein. Then she gets it and is willing for the full monty in carriage on the rein. It is better than it used to be, which was interesting. Clearly there is space to work in this area :-)

blob

Postby blob » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:20 pm

Ryeissa wrote:Hope everyone is well, its pretty clear Chancellor isn't really keen on me being here and the feeling is getting to be mutual. I haven't posted much in a month and I think it was a good decision. I will continue to lurk and not share personal things/post. I hope Linden comes back but I doubt she will.

Rye, I hope you will not take what has happened recently too personally. I don't think anyone wants you to leave. I know you have been a champion for Linden and really value her perspective. But as you said, this was probably not the right time for her to be here. I hope that you will continue to post your training updates and contribute to conversations.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:03 pm

Moutaineer wrote:
Marky Mark is Matchy Matchy! Glad you and the Spotted Wonder Boy are able to do a bit more, Hot 4 Spots.

Just so you get the full effect, here's the saddle pad he's wearing. It was a gift from a friend. The joke, of course, is that he has never transported me through time, but has often transported me through space! :lol:
Attachments
Saddle pad.jpg
Saddle pad.jpg (232.64 KiB) Viewed 23237 times

Return to “Dressage Training”