Removing knee rolls??

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
ElaPe
Novice

Removing knee rolls??

Postby ElaPe » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:47 pm

So recently I started riding with this old trainer that is really "old school" and have trained with legendary trainers in Europe incl. Gunnar Andersen. On our second lesson yesterday he suggested that I remove knee rolls from my saddle (Stubben Aramis) as they put me in improper position right away.

Anyone have tried that?

Tanga
500 post plus club

Re: Removing knee rolls??

Postby Tanga » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:16 pm

I hate knee rolls. I've always ridden in pretty knee rollless saddles, and when I tried one with great big rolls, I hated it. I think unless you have the absolute perfect fit (translate as expensive with lots of help to fix) it hurts you a lot more than helps.

I like very little roll. That's why I rode in a Wintec Pro forever--you can have a little roll, or take it away. It's also very flat, so you can move where you need to to be in the right place. I just figured out, with lots of help, that saddle was actually hurting my back. I just found an Albion I LOVE with a super wide, flat seat and very little roll that doesn't hurt my back and I'm in a whole new level of improving. (And it was only $350 at the consignment store!)

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:05 am

Like Tanga, I too dislike knee rolls. I agree that they tend not to fit right and tend do more harm than good this way.

IF you do decide to get rid of them I would sugest you get them changed on your saddle to velcro. That should be possible to do even on an older saddle and makes life so much easier.

Sue B
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Sue B » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:56 pm

I've been seriously considering doing that to Rudy's saddle too!

Return to “Dressage Training”