Things to do while under mandatory shelter in place

goldhorse
Herd Member

Things to do while under mandatory shelter in place

Postby goldhorse » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:59 am

Trying to lighten the mood for me and others caught up in this

1) coloring books (thank god I didn't Marie Kondo them)
2) walk the dog until she begs not to go out anymore
3) search for new recipes
4) dream about your horses
5) hope your trainer and barn manager sends some pictures of your horses
6) exercise videos galore
7) teach your cat(s) to use the toilet as a litter box
8) pray the internet doesn't go down
9) fantasize about spouseicide

What I would give for a jigsaw puzzle right now. Amazon is price gouging on those too unless they've gone up in price and I haven't noticed.

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Things to do while under mandatory shelter in place

Postby StraightForward » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:59 am

Garden? Start some seeds? Read and re-read dressage books. Read everything on Kindle. Yoga. Binge-watch NetFlix series. Cook time-consuming dishes.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:10 am

I'll gladly share some jigsaw puzzles ... they aren't cheap @ B&N. Just checked Amazon — first page of results for 1000+ pieces is the range we've been paying.

As for other solo activities, running, riding, biking, hiking, annoyingly fussy cooking projects ... and, if you're my hubby, learn a new coding language and reprogram our entire home automation system. I'll never be able to operate the alarm again /facepalm

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:17 am

I'm interpreting shelter in place to including the barn, because I get nowhere near anyone there. Lots of barn time and gardening. And house cleaning and organizing, if I get to that. Lots of dog walking.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:29 am

Tanga wrote:I'm interpreting shelter in place to including the barn

When I saw my doctor — a horsewoman — last week she specifically told me to keep riding. She's at a FAR busier facility than I am, and she still considers it very low-risk for transmission since you're not right up on one another.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:44 am

heddylamar wrote:

When I saw my doctor — a horsewoman — last week she specifically told me to keep riding. She's at a FAR busier facility than I am, and she still considers it very low-risk for transmission since you're not right up on one another.

Good to know. :) I was going to do it anyway. And everyone talking about it has been clear that walking your dog and such is fine as long as you stay away from people, so certainly horses is good.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:45 am

heddylamar wrote:

Good to know. :) I was going to do it anyway. And everyone talking about it has been clear that walking your dog and such is fine as long as you stay away from people, so certainly horses is good.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:14 am

FYI at least in CoCo County, feed stores will continue to be open.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:25 pm

AFAIAC, barns are considered mandatory shelter. We now have the option to work from home which means more goofing around time. My work is slow at the moment. I plan on catching up on laundry, tidying my dining table, do my crafts, work on a jigsaw puzzle I got for Christmas, read, take lots of naps. Watch tv. Do yoga with cat interference.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:30 pm

Horses at home, snow gone and ground thawed, so I'm good there. LOTS of reading to do and normal spring chores. Glad I had breakfast with my nephews Sunday morning though.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:59 pm

I'm going to try making English muffins today. I used to make all our bread but have never attempted this variety. I have a bread machine somewhere in the storage room and all the ingredients...

I have a spreadsheet with the varieties and quantities of seeds to start. I need to dig out the seed heat mats, Jiffy pellets, etc., and get started on this project. I find growing plants to be very therapeutic!

I also need to go around and fill in the nail holes on all the window trim that was installed several months ago.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:33 pm

Someone posted on FB “face it, we are all on stall rest.” LOL.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:37 pm

Canyon wrote:I'm going to try making English muffins today. I used to make all our bread but have never attempted this variety. I have a bread machine somewhere in the storage room and all the ingredients...

I made English muffins once years ago, before there was such a thing as a bread machine. They were very good. The will take up a good deal of your time. These days, that's a good thing. Back then, not so much, lol. Let us know how they turn out.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:13 pm

Research manure spreaders and place order for a spreader :(
Wait for rain to subside so holes in barn skylight panels can be temporarily patched ;)
Clean upstairs
Clean downstairs
Workshop needs all items put back where they belong
Garage needs re-organizing
Begin gathering items for donation to Habitat Re-Store (once it's safe to mingle again)

Of course, these are part of my long "To Do" list, not necessarily applicable to others!

But, hark, where is DH to assist with some of these and other tasks? He's at Wally World, looking for t.p. since we got lost in the rush.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:43 pm

Work has been insanely busy since we've been on lock down. I worked 17 hours straight in front of my computer yesterday, with many of those hours spent on video conference while my cat paraded infront of the screen.

But once things slow down, my introverted self is excited to read read read. I made the goal of reading 100 books this year. Last year I read 86 without any house arrest. So, I'm somewhat optimistic.

Barn is still open, so hoping to ride some. Though my parents are also in the same city as me and I need to consider what risk I might put them in if I go to the barn. They are eager to continue our weekly dinners (at home, not at restaurants)

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:11 pm

KathyK wrote:
Canyon wrote:I'm going to try making English muffins today. I used to make all our bread but have never attempted this variety. I have a bread machine somewhere in the storage room and all the ingredients...

I made English muffins once years ago, before there was such a thing as a bread machine. They were very good. The will take up a good deal of your time. These days, that's a good thing. Back then, not so much, lol. Let us know how they turn out.

I'm using a NY Times recipe that includes some yogurt. Everything is spinning around in the machine on dough cycle now. I can't believe I've never tried to make English muffins before. I'm hoping the process is not much fussier than bagels!

I'll report back on the results. If there's silence, then you'll know it was a total failure! :lol:

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:07 pm

I'm pleased to report that the English muffins are quite good! I couldn't wait until breakfast tomorrow to try them, so I toasted and ate the smallest one. 8-)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:34 pm

Glad the English muffin experiment turned out well! I've never made them either. I kind of wish I wasn't doing the low-carb thing right now, because it would be a good opportunity to experiment with sourdough. I did hit on an amazing avocado-based brownie recipe last week though; I will be making them again with my limited avocado supply.

So far we have just a handful of confirmed cases in Idaho, but it's definitely here and things are tightening up quickly.

We were sent home this afternoon for a telework test run, and I'll probably transition to telework after tying up some loose ends tomorrow morning.

If I know for sure that all my work travel would be cancelled through April, I would like to go buy some chicks to raise and add to my tiny flock of 2. I do plan to go get more potting soil though, as I have about 100 peppers and 50 tomato seedlings to transplant.
Keep calm and canter on.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:52 pm

StraightForward wrote: I did hit on an amazing avocado-based brownie recipe last week though; I will be making them again with my limited avocado supply.

Please share! We've been doing Keto to get some holiday pounds off, and what I wouldn't give for a brownie :lol:
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:21 pm

PhoenixRising wrote:
StraightForward wrote: I did hit on an amazing avocado-based brownie recipe last week though; I will be making them again with my limited avocado supply.

Please share! We've been doing Keto to get some holiday pounds off, and what I wouldn't give for a brownie :lol:

https://www.sweetashoney.co/low-carb-fu ... ugar-free/ I happened to have a little extra cream cheese so I cut it into pieces, softened it up and swirled it in at the end. Also, I used hazelnut meal instead of the almond, and added chopped hazelnuts. Tasted a little like Nutella when they were first baked, but couldn't detect the hazelnut meal later. They get more dense and fudgy after sitting in the fridge for a day or two.
Keep calm and canter on.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:39 am

So first day done. Definitely it's a different feeling being under mandatory restrictions vs voluntary restrictions. I don't know how the people in quarantine are doing this. I have it easy. Very glad to see our neighborhood step up and buy groceries for the elderly residents so they don't have to risk going in public. My knee checkup at UCSF was cancelled. I presume that they are all hands on deck and all medical and protective equipment is being hoarded for what's to come.
What is astounding is the quiet. Traffic has ceased. It is eerie. Everyone is taking walks. Parents playing with their children in the street.
I argued this morning with DH over who got to empty the dishwasher. We both wanted the chore to lessen the monotony. Otherwise, I have taken a mega chill pill. Got to go with the flow. I don't have to vacuum the house cuz no one is coming over :lol: Best to stretch those chores out since I have at least 3 weeks of this.
I do miss my horses. They are 75 miles away so I don't see any way to sneak out there and see them. I know that they will be well taken care of. So best to stay home and set a good example of social distancing.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:55 am

goldhorse wrote:I argued this morning with DH over who got to empty the dishwasher. We both wanted the chore to lessen the monotony.

Okay this confirms it -- the world has gone crazy! :lol:
Last edited by KathyK on Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:23 pm

I never thought of being able to cook and bake as a talent, but it's come in handy. Stores don't have mayonnaise? I made my own. I also made 2 loaves of cinnamon raisin bread, English Muffins and homemade pasta. I went to my Amish neighbor and got 3 dozen lovely eggs too.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:39 pm

Straightforward, TSC has been doing their "Chick Days" since last week and had some nice breeds in our local stores, although not sure where things stand with getting inside the stores now.

Wish I could ship some of my eggs to some of ya'll in exchange for your baked goods (or t.p.)!

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:16 pm

StraightForward wrote:If I know for sure that all my work travel would be cancelled through April, I would like to go buy some chicks to raise and add to my tiny flock of 2. I do plan to go get more potting soil though, as I have about 100 peppers and 50 tomato seedlings to transplant.

Organised well before the virus issues, we got 8 one-week-old chicks yesterday. Female red shavers (egg machines!). They were used for a behavioural experiement at the university where mum works and she volunteered to home a few. They should start laying in 4 months and will supplement the flock of 10 freeloaders who lay 1-2 a day (in total).

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:45 pm

I made a decorative wreath out if all my newly illegal snaffle bits. Although I also had a few horrific ones that came with horses. So, make a bit wreath for your barn wall lmao.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:27 pm

pic of your wreath, Chisamba? Sounds cool.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:38 am

texsuze wrote:Straightforward, TSC has been doing their "Chick Days" since last week and had some nice breeds in our local stores, although not sure where things stand with getting inside the stores now.

Wish I could ship some of my eggs to some of ya'll in exchange for your baked goods (or t.p.)!

We have a regional feed store chain, D&B, that gets day old chicks from a hatchery about 20 miles down the road. I got an email from the feed store today assuring me that they are open. I will probably decide on the chicks in a couple days; I might still have to travel and do some small open-air trainings to ensure some contracts can be completed. We'll see.

The two red sex links I have currently are giving me about 2 eggs a day after a winter layoff, so at least we have some eggs rolling it. :)
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:45 am

Well, it's been quite a stressful day here.

We were rudely awakened at just after 7am this cold and snowy morning by the violent shaking of a 5.7 earthquake, which was followed by approximately 50 aftershocks of varying magnitude--some really quite big--throughout the morning.

There's quite a lot of damage at the epicenter on the west side of the Salt Lake Valley down near my office, which apparently was turned upside-down, but more mess than damage. We have none here or at the new house, except to our nerves, fortunately.

Lets hope that's now over. Salt Lake City sits on a pretty major fault line and we get the odd rumble up here, but I've never experienced a big one like this before and it scared the crap out of me.

The we had a text from my youngest stepson in England, DH's ex wife, who is in her 80s and in poor health and living in a nursing home, has tested positive for the virus and is in hospital and quite ill, so you might send up a little prayer for her. Of course, all the boys have been exposed to her and now all their families and the grandchildren.

I'm just trying to sort and pack to move in just over 2 weeks. Which is quite hard to do when you really don't want to go out for supplies or to take stuff to the dump.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:50 pm

Moutaineer, you just can't catch a break, can you.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:55 pm

Jingles to the Mountaineers....

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:18 pm

Glad you are ok through the earthquake. It sounded like the pandemic really complicated the emergency response. Jingles for those who are ill, or have been exposed.
Keep calm and canter on.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:37 am

Contingency if I can no longer go to the barn (hope others can view the link) https://www.facebook.com/groups/1665797 ... 0182842545
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:04 am

Good exercise for your abs, StraightForward! :D

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:32 am

And practicing my Roman riding! :D
Keep calm and canter on.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:12 pm

Free 5-day series 5 Ways to Improve Your Riding (Even when you can't ride) starts tomorrow. https://www.facebook.com/RitterDressage/
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:54 pm

We're on two weeks here, and not supposed to ride anymore because someone complained and the barn owner is afraid. It's partly his fault because he had a ton of visitors out there, with the kids playing with each other out in the open visible from the street last weekend! Now the "trainers" get to ride and teach using the indoor because it's their business, but they are not being safe. I'm hoping a talk with the owner about riding and staying out of site and everyone actually using the CDC procedures can ensue.

My time is being occupied by literally steam cleaning the house. Husband bought a steam clean like six months ago because, I don't know why. It's been under the house. So, I've been doing this. And then I discovered I can clean that nasty grout. And then I discovered I can use fast drying varnish for the wood floor (of which I have two gallons because it was on sale for $3.50) can be used on the grout and tile to keep it clean! I had already discovered I can use it on the paint on the window sill that goes out to the little cat ledge and walkway I made so they can go out side to keep their nails from scratching up the paint.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:19 pm

StraightForward wrote:Free 5-day series 5 Ways to Improve Your Riding (Even when you can't ride) starts tomorrow. https://www.facebook.com/RitterDressage/

This looks really great! Thanks for posting it!

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:34 pm

I've been keeping busy.
My barn isn't closed, but I've stayed away for two reasons: One: Phoenix not being totally well yet so I'm not riding anyway. Two: having been around people at work who were traveling into hot zones before all the closures, I want to be totally sure I'm not passing anything around and don't know it.

I'm working on crocheting afghan for my massage table. I like the idea of putting so much love and effort into something for my clients, and I want to have enough blankets on hand to change it after every person in the future. For now though, I'm only going to make one, maybe two to see how they hold up to that much washing. I'm trying a new stitch that I'm really enjoying, called the "waffle stitch". the blanket looks like it came out of a waffle iron, with perfect little waffle squares. It makes for a dense, heavy blanket. Once I'm done with this one, it will have over 5,000 feet of yarn in one blanket.

We also have a lot of gardening to get done! I've got a flower bed I want to put in out front, pots to plant flowers, and we're planting a vegetable garden so I've already started seeds indoors. I discovered that some perennials I've planted in pots the last couple years keep coming back (I'd thought they might get too cold since I didn't pull them into the garage). So this year instead of a lot of annuals I'm planting some of my favorite perennials into my pots instead. Hopefully this will mean a little less work in years to come. I LOVE lilys so I've bought several varieties to plant in different pots, among other things. The flower bed out front will have Hostas, Caladiums, Gladious, and I'm looking for one other shade loving, long flowering perennial to put out there towards the front.

We picked up baby chicks about a week ago, so I'll also be busy building a coop in the next few weeks. I'm super excited to have chickens again, I've had them more often than not over the years, and I've really missed them. I picked up a wide assortment, so we should have a full rainbow of eggs. I also ordered two of my favorite "rare breeds" that will be delivered mid April and I'm excited for their arrival too. That order will have Splash Cochins, White Crested Black Polish, and Splash Laced Red Wyandottes.

It's been beautiful weather here the last few days and its been really enjoyable opening the backdoor and windows and enjoying the fresh air while working. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I could get used to this working at home thing.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:34 pm

My barn is closed, except I get to check on Ariel's stitches every few days. I work in a hospital. I'm the librarian. Technically I am NOT essential. I can work from home but my boss has been dragging her ass on giving me official permission, even though the president/CEO of the health system and the governor of IL have said "stay home." Today I got official permission and I think it's cuz I included HER boss on the third request....

The thing is I would prefer to work in the office. I am not productive at home. But I am scared. And I should obey the state rules.

Editing to add what I would do if I wasn't working at home. I would read, sleep, watch a LOT of tv, and take a lot of naps. I would randomly clean stuff and I would cook. I would do my papercrafting and write in my journal. Pretty much the stuff I do on the weekends...

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:07 pm

I had to take one of the cats to the vet yesterday (of course, because we don't have enough to deal with atm...) They had me call when I arrived, came out and picked her up, did a phone consult with the vet. then brought her back to the car once we were all done. Paid over the phone with a credit card. So, no direct human contact at all.

Kitty has a nasty UTI, poor thing. But she's looking and feeling better today and has found the litter box again, thank goodness.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:32 pm

Today is my last day in the office. And it's a good thing, because our sister hospital 13 miles away is seeing a quick uptick in the number of COVID cases and the Chief Nursing Executive just sent an email that they are preparing for the surge. Which means my hospital will get the surge next week. Fortunately I will be at home.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:04 pm

Heading upstairs to clean the bathrooms and to dust/windex bedroom and DH's "rehab room". The new kitten brothers need to be downstairs if I'm to vacuum, since the sound is too scary for them right now. I have a bit of paperwork and tidying on the list in the days to come, so no shortage of little tasks that have fallen to the wayside over the months. I have a "To Do" reminder for DH which includes raking gravel in the driveway and putting the workshop back in working order. We shall see....

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”