Covid 19

texsuze
500 post plus club

Re: Covid 19

Postby texsuze » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:51 pm

GH & Tanga,
Cornell Lab of Ornithology has some awesome webcams currently live-streaming a variety of nest sites: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news

DH and I participate in a couple of their 'citizen science' projects (Project Feeder Watch & Nest Watch)

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:47 pm

I was down for 8 weeks in November with what was diagnosed as bronchitis. I don't remember if I had a fever, probably. What I do know is that I couldn't exhale, had to be on a nebulizer every 4-6 hours, heavy duty steroids. Today someone asked me "do you think you had COVID?" I wonder. It makes no difference to me if I did , but it is curiousier and curiousier. I was off work for 2 full weeks, then back part time, so essentially I self-quarantined.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:22 pm

PaulaO wrote:I was down for 8 weeks in November with what was diagnosed as bronchitis. I don't remember if I had a fever, probably. What I do know is that I couldn't exhale, had to be on a nebulizer every 4-6 hours, heavy duty steroids. Today someone asked me "do you think you had COVID?" I wonder. It makes no difference to me if I did , but it is curiousier and curiousier. I was off work for 2 full weeks, then back part time, so essentially I self-quarantined.

Well, I'd think it would make some difference! If you already had it, you wouldn't be at risk for getting it again now, which would be a nice! On the flip side, if it wasn't COVID, then you might want to be extra careful since your respiratory system might not be at its strongest after what sounds like a bad stint with bronchitis.

My dad is a virologist and the university has essentially shut down his and all other research labs along with the rest of the university. I understand they don't want the liability, but seems like not the best move to prevent medical research at this time.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:01 pm

PaulaO wrote:I was down for 8 weeks in November with what was diagnosed as bronchitis. I don't remember if I had a fever, probably. What I do know is that I couldn't exhale, had to be on a nebulizer every 4-6 hours, heavy duty steroids. Today someone asked me "do you think you had COVID?" I wonder. It makes no difference to me if I did , but it is curiousier and curiousier. I was off work for 2 full weeks, then back part time, so essentially I self-quarantined.

I seriously doubt that you had COVID. DH and I were in Hong Kong at the end of last year. At a dinner on 12/30, locals were discussing that there might be a new SARS outbreak in Wuhan. Word was just hitting social media probably from the late doctor who tried to warn us. So it hadn't even hit HK yet.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:50 pm

I've heard of a ton of people, myself and my DH included, who probably had whatever it was that you had in November Paula. It was the worst sickness in my adult life I can remember and my fever got so high I was starting to wonder if I should go to the doctor or hospital. I doubt it was Covid 19 just because it was too early but it was definitely bad and made its rounds with lots of people.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:24 pm

There is stay at home rule effective at 5pm tonight for the state of Illinois. Our barn has decided to follow this and will be closed to boarders until the order lifts. You can come out if your horse has special medical needs and obviously vets are allowed. Today is my last ride. My trainer will be allowed to ride Miss A. I agree with the barn’s decision and thought I was fine with it until 10 minutes ago when I dissolved into tears at the thought of being only a few miles away but not allowed to see my girl.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:02 pm

I'm expecting the same decision from my barn in the next few days. I will also agree and understand, but will also probably be quite teary at times.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:29 pm

Imperini wrote:I've heard of a ton of people, myself and my DH included, who probably had whatever it was that you had in November Paula. It was the worst sickness in my adult life I can remember and my fever got so high I was starting to wonder if I should go to the doctor or hospital. I doubt it was Covid 19 just because it was too early but it was definitely bad and made its rounds with lots of people.

Ditto. I was sick basically the entire month of October. A co-worker of mine had a dry cough (but nothing else) for like 6 weeks this winter, and he's not one to get sick. There was some other weird stuff going around last winter. We did jokingly speculate that we were Patients Zero and One.

DH begins mandatory telework on Monday. I'm on voluntary telework, but I'm going in to get all of my orchids and anything else I might want from my cubicle because I won't be at all surprised if they shut the office down entirely, or only let in a few designated people who can't complete critical work remotely.
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:30 pm

Agreed on the horrible flu last fall. I haven't been sick in awhile and I got it. Just knocked me on my butt for days. Husband got it twice. I wonder if it was the pre-mutation of covid?

It's interesting the states/areas going to shelter at home later are restricted from going to the barn. It's pretty easy to stay away from people here. I wonder if it's because of weather (maybe it's colder?) or barn configurations?

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:19 am

Four counties immediately around me- basically the Kansas City Metro area- is going to be on shelter in place starting Tuesday. I have a feeling the entire state will follow suit soon.
Phoenix is still getting time off, so getting to the barn hasn’t been a huge struggle.
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:18 pm

Oh gosh I too was hit with sore throat , laryngitis and a cough that has hung on more than a month. I do not usually get the circulating colds, but this one hit me and has drug on and on.

Influenza is still circulating and my co-workers grade school daughter was Influenza A + 2 weeks ago. The whole family felt unwell for the week. We get free vaccine at work

so many people at work since the new year with this slow cold virus that simply wants to stay and hang on and on.

we are one step away from total state lock down. I work in a protected job, but the bosses have talked through all the possible scenarios

I can still go to my indoor archery range since I have 24/7 access and after a visit today during open hours, I will restrict myself to the very early am. I have a bow at home that I can draw practice on if it comes to that

I think we must try to be very thoughtful about barns and barn time. We need to protect the barn staff.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:19 pm

acheyarcher wrote:I think we must try to be very thoughtful about barns and barn time. We need to protect the barn staff.

If I were in a different situation, my riding might change. But, I'm one of 4 boarders and thanks to being self employed working from home full time, I frequently ride midday and rarely overlap with anyone else. It's been a month since I've seen another boarder in person. I last saw the BO in passing on Wednesday when I handed off part of our back up supply of TP. She's home or at the barn full time, but we're never in close contact, and we're keeping our distance now.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:03 pm

If you are going to the barn, are you limiting what you touch and sanitizing what you do? Door handles, halters, tack? Are you wearing a mask so you aren't spraying droplets into the dust and bedding that someone else is going to breathe in?

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:53 pm

Moutaineer wrote:If you are going to the barn, are you limiting what you touch and sanitizing what you do? Door handles, halters, tack? Are you wearing a mask so you aren't spraying droplets into the dust and bedding that someone else is going to breathe in?

No mask. There's a shortage, and I'd FAR rather my cousins and aunt have access to the medical supplies they need on the front lines than horde for my personal use. Instead, I'm washing my hands before and after touching things like gates and faucets. And I'm tacking up at my horse trailer v. in the barn, and have moved brushes and halters there.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:03 pm

Masks are not widely available and I am not using one. Of course, I am also not coughing or sneezing!

I'm using the minimum 2 horse lengths away guide for any people I encounter at the barn. I'm tacking up away from the main areas, too. I do show up and wipe all of the major doors/handles that are part of the barn routine. Then wash my hands and do my own activities, then wash again, wipe again in areas I've touched, wash again and leave. Then I clean my car when I get home.

Is it perfect? No. But it is helping me stay sane. In the last week, I've had to deal with a chiro appointment (used big social distance) and a trim appointment (ditto). It is challenging to shut off these activities, as they are part of equine care. How are other folks handling these basic appointments?

khall

Postby khall » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:21 pm

This is scary stuff. Very apocalyptic scary. My horses are kept at home, I do have one boarder but she is very much isolated as well. We are practicing social distancing and I am wiping down equipment and door knobs every morning before any of us picks it up or begins work. If I run out of wipes I will go to soap and water. I am not using different halters at this time, my boarder only handles her horse so at this time her mare is the only overlap.

My DH found some n95 masks we had for farm work and I suggested donating them so he called our niece who is an LPN and works in a pediatricians office, they were down to 1 mask. She is picking up the 10 we have to donate tomorrow. I'm so scared for our health care workers. Georgia has pockets that have been hit hard already. Albany which is south of us traced back to a funeral and Cobb county, Fulton county have the highest number of cases. Our son was in Cobb county for college he came home Thursday.

My DH is the only one going out that requires going into a facility (grocery store), I went and picked up feed but they are doing curbside pick up only. I did have to get some fuel and ATM run but used gloves and wipes. DH is working from home right now.

My mom is tucked away in her apartment here on the farm, but is coming to the barn to help with chores or putzing around doing yard work. We are practicing social distancing with her and I feel horrible how much she is isolated. I try to limit any time I am in her apartment, wash my hands etc being very careful with my 83 yr old mother. She has become very childlike with her dementia issues and has fears that pop up that are not realistic, she called my sister crying thinking we were going to put her in a facility now that our dad is gone. She's had these fears before, while dad was in the hospital and we are not sure where they are coming from. Putting our parents in a facility has long been off the table. I am so thankful for my old dog Hank who has become her apartment mate now. We had to make the difficult decision to "rehome" their dog because she was such a bite risk when we had sitters coming in for our dad. Hank is such a love and so kind and quiet, a huge comfort to our mom.

It's been very disorienting to go from one crisis to another huge crisis. We had hardly even buried our dad (funeral was just over 2 weeks ago) when this coronavirus stuff hit the fan. It's been hard for my sister and I to get our bearings. My sister is struggling even more than I because she has such concern for her DH. He works at the local FBO (airport for private planes and medivacs) and he has a very compromised immune system and has many factors that would probably kill him if he comes down with COVID19.

Sigh, stay safe everyone. Let's hope it is not as bad as I fear it will be.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:36 pm

Ohio Department of Health has issued a stay at home order for two weeks starting Tuesday. it permits "outdoor activity." Guess who's going to be riding outside for the next two weeks (if the barn stays open).

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:39 pm

Australia is just starting to do some lockdown measures, and shutting down non-essential places. We still don't have much community based transmission - none where I am yet. I"m on days off from work, my horses are at home so that is good. I'm bored already! But it could be worse.

Ive had a fluey/cold thing for about 4 weeks, and it's recurred over the weekend. I don't normally get sick. Hopefully it will clear up soon but I haven't seemed to pass it onto anyone else.
We've got rostering plans in place at work, but really will have to wait and see how it all pans out. I work on a helicopter rescue/retrieval service (paramedic) so we shouldn't have too much contact with covid and if we do, we should know about it and can take precautions. But when the road ambulance roster gets depleted we will need to help out there. Really unknown how it will go at this stage.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:25 pm

Those of you driving back and forth to the barn and riding your horse maybe should think hard about the risk you are taking. If you get hurt you do NOT want to be in a hospital right now. I am in New York and we are an epicenter. It is bad and it is not going to get better for months. Do not think you are immune. Do not visit any friends. I have been working from home since last week and for the foreseeable future. My pay was cut 10% but I am thankful that I am still working and getting a salary. I am thankful that I am healthy, so far. I understand about wanting to ride your horse, I really do. But I think it is "non-essential" at this point. The longer people don't comply with isolating themselves, the longer this is going to go on, and the more tragic it is going to be.
Boarding barns in NY are open only to workers as of last night, BTW.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:38 pm

LeoApp, the point about reducing risk for hospital needs is very well taken. For me, that risk is mostly related to driving in my rural area, rather than riding my horse or close contact with others. By the way, my work (which has me working from home) has directed staff to not leave the region. This is rather more strict than directives at the state level.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:13 pm

piedmontfields - it's true - people need to restrict their movement from region to region as much as possible. My world has gotten very small. I have nowhere to go and I want to go nowhere. Even thinking about going to the supermarket is stressful. The food delivery services are maxed out and have no delivery dates available.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:25 pm

I don't know what food delivery you're trying to use, LeoApp, but I have not had issues with mail order for groceries. However, I did "stage" my orders back in February, so if they were delayed it was not an issue. There is no take out food in normal times where I live, so it is not exactly a hardship to do without.

I haven't been grocery shopping in 3 weeks. I will have to do a curb-side pick up from a local store later this week, though.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:45 pm

LeoApp — both Amazon and Walmart have quite a bit of food stuffs in stock, and are able to make next day deliveries here. Perhaps for you too? I just placed an order for my barn owner.

As for the barn, I'm back to riding in my crash vest for that very reason — no ER trips (fingers crossed). And I'm driving DH's electric car, which charges on a home charger.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:10 pm

piedmontfields wrote:LeoApp, the point about reducing risk for hospital needs is very well taken. For me, that risk is mostly related to driving in my rural area, rather than riding my horse or close contact with others. By the way, my work (which has me working from home) has directed staff to not leave the region. This is rather more strict than directives at the state level.

Yeah, I feel OK about riding Annabelle, but I'll be delaying backing my 4 year old until this situation is under control.

I'm doing my best to avoid human contact at the barn. I get there at 6:30 in the morning, toss my girls a bit of hay, and then go around wiping down doorknobs and switches. My two are in a 5-stall barn, and only one of the other three owners comes out sporadically at the moment. I see the BO from a 6+ foot distance while she's feeding in the morning. When I get in my car to leave I wipe my hands and the steering wheel, door handles, etc. and then shower right when I get home. DH and I are teleworking, haven't traveled out of town in over a month, quit going to the gym, and don't have kids that are out intermingling, so I feel like I've assessed and mitigated the risks.
Keep calm and canter on.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:07 pm

You guys don't live in NY. We have tried all the normal services. There is stuff to put in your cart but then you go to check out and there are no delivery dates available.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:40 pm

Leoapp, you have to stay up and push the button at 12.01... that's the only way I got to make it work for me here.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:28 am

Moutaineer wrote:Leoapp, you have to stay up and push the button at 12.01... that's the only way I got to make it work for me here.

Tried that too!! No go.

However, we went to Costco last night at 8 pm in the pouring rain. NO ONE was there (it looked closed!!) and got lots of things. There was no chicken but plenty of other things we needed.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:50 pm

True, there about 7 million people in the entire state of Tennessee. And there are 7 million+ people just on Long Island! And NYC (8+ million) right there. Glad you got what you needed, LeoApp. In the spirit of inequality (as in those who have more should pay more), I've been shopping at more expensive online sources. They seem less stressed for quantities and are delivering in a more timely way. That said, I never shop at Cosco or Sam's Club or Walmart in normal times, either.

For the record, I've advocated that our barn increase restrictions (perhaps eliminate all but necessary boarder visits for care of animals---we are not in the position to have barn staff handle absolutely everything). For my horse, I'm juggling just enough care to keep her from tying up during periods of greater than normal stalling, due to heavy rain. I've also been sure to deliver enough supplements (including AlCar to reduce tying up) for 3+ weeks at a time. I also got her spring shots done a bit early, in anticipation of this outbreak.

Here's a photo of my mare during some stall time (taken by someone else):
Emi in barn.jpg
Emi in barn.jpg (35.22 KiB) Viewed 21617 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:10 pm

piedmontfields wrote: I've been shopping at more expensive online sources. They seem less stressed for quantities and are delivering in a more timely way. That said, I never shop at Cosco or Sam's Club or Walmart in normal times, either.

Even our Fred Meyer (Kroger) stores seem to be in better shape than WinCo (warehouse style grocery store) and Costco. I went to FM at 8 am last Saturday and they were pretty well stocked and there weren't long lines or excessive numbers of customers. A friend posted photos on FB of long lines outside of both WinCo and Costco waiting to get in the door. If shopping at FM cost me an extra $20, it was well worth it. Our Natural Grocer also seems to be doing OK (though they had zero chicken last time I went in) and it's a much better environment for social distancing (and the checkers have more opportunity to sanitize, change gloves, etc.).
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:31 pm

Ugh, Leoapp.

Whole Foods here is quiet and reasonably stocked. They have old folks opening hours, too, so I can send DH with a list if it comes to it.

The Smith's (Kroger) here is apparently mobbed during old folks hour.

I've just had the list of not available and substitutions for my Kroger pickup. No chicken, no zucchini, no yeast, no hand soap.

I wonder if we are going to see issues with produce with CA shutting down?

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:12 pm

Moutaineer wrote:I wonder if we are going to see issues with produce with CA shutting down?

This is an excellent (and worrying) point. For those of you with the option to plan a garden, go for it!

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:03 pm

Essential services are not shutting down.
NY is quickly accelerating in cases. The hospitals are already filling up. We have some drug trials happening that started yesterday. One is using plasma from people that already recovered from the virus. I am hoping that these trials work and can 1) help people recover more quickly and 2) reduce the severity.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:35 pm

piedmontfields wrote:
Moutaineer wrote:I wonder if we are going to see issues with produce with CA shutting down?

This is an excellent (and worrying) point. For those of you with the option to plan a garden, go for it!

Already doing that! Now I'm wishing I'd ordered arugula seeds since it grows so quickly.

This is an interesting site that provides modeled predictions of disease spread by state (actually it is looking at predicted hospitalizations based on social distancing scenarios), which puts Idaho into June under the social distancing scenario before subsidence (it says Idaho is not taking action, but we have one county sheltering in place, and Boise restaurants are doing carry-out and enacted further social distancing measures yesterday).

https://covidactnow.org/
Keep calm and canter on.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:16 pm

piedmontfields your grey mare is lovely! Grey is my favorite color. Things are o.k. here in no. Illinois. I went to the local grocery store (independent) yesterday and the only thing they didn't have is tp but I have 8 rolls so I'm good for 2 months. Plenty of produce. I am still coming to work because I am not at all productive working from home plus I am waking up with anxiety and work quiets my mind. Restaurants are doing lots of carry out/delivery but I've been cooking more because I have the time. This weekend I am making a lower fat version of bolognese sauce which has been on my to-do list for the last year.

The barn posted pics on FB yesterday of the horses in turn out. Miss A. (chestnut) is in a pasture full of bays (one other chestnut) but I couldn't see her in the picture. Undoubtedly she was out of the frame, by herself, cribbing.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:42 pm

I am going to my barn. My barn is a very low traffic private pleasure barn and never has had trainers, lessons or allowed haul-ins. B.O.'s house is 1/4 mile from the area where my horse is. The block of horses on Kyra's side of the road are all in largish (by boarding barn standards) pens--no barn. Facility is only partial care. The owners throw hay twice a day and everything and anything else (cleaning, turnout, blanket changes) is on the owner. So I have been going to out to clean and throwing in a short ride while I am there.

I seldom see another boarder although I have seen more people this week because they aren't working. That said, I don't think anyone has gotten closer than 10-12 feet and that is in passing. Everyone out there seems to get the distancing thing. I am using gloves but no masks...I am not going to take those away from health care workers. I do wipe down doorknobs and solid surfaces around the tack room in the indoor arena. I have yet to meet another person tacking up at the same time as I am.

Other than the barn and the grocery store...I am staying put--my house or my 90 y.o. Mother's house. She has to have help so my sister (who has likewise shut down any outside contacts) and I have been tag teaming to help her.I have been called off of work because of low census. That is good as I work at a hospital and that means that thus far, the ICU's have not been overwhelmed. However, no elective surgeries has made for a very low census. At least my work is supplemental. I feel for my colleagues that have families and need all their hours. They can use PTO but not everyone has it to use or have it earmarked for a vacation...when we can get back to those. So, if you aren't a nurse or doctor, even healthcare is in a severe slowdown when you pare down the unnecessary/elective stuff.

Strange times for sure but not unexpected. It (global pandemic) was going to happen for sure and will again as those pesky bugs mutate and emerge.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Literiding
Herd Member

Postby Literiding » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:04 pm

PaulaO wrote:Things are o.k. here in no. Illinois. I went to the local grocery store (independent) yesterday and the only thing they didn't have is tp but I have 8 rolls so I'm good for 2 months. Plenty of produce. I am still coming to work because I am not at all productive working from home plus I am waking up with anxiety and work quiets my mind. Restaurants are doing lots of carry out/delivery but I've been cooking more because I have the time. This weekend I am making a lower fat version of bolognese sauce which has been on my to-do list for the last year.

One wag on FB observed that the reason there was a "run" on TP was because of all the people having to eat their own cooking for the first time in years.

A second wag observed that at the end of the pandemic, half the people will be much better cooks, . . . the other half will have an alcohol problem.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:43 pm

Or both, Literiding!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:35 am

They've just shut down all non-essential business in our county until May 1st.

State run liquor stores will stay open, though...

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:57 am

Idaho governor also issued a stay at home order today for 21 days. Both my barns are staying open for the time-being, but I dropped off enough feed at Obie's barn to cover him for the next 5-6 weeks. I went to the office around 4 pm today and picked up all of my plants. The poor janitor informed me that she would not be getting paid since there will be no work to do with everyone out of the building. :(
Keep calm and canter on.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:23 pm

DH scored some t.p. this morning at the local grocery store. Turns out, one must stand in line, beginning at 8 am to be allowed into the store in small groups. Plenty of t.p. available in various amounts. We didn't participate in the hysterical hoarding onslaught when this all first started, so found ourselves low on inventory ;) DH is not good on social distancing, as he's very chatty and a 'space invader' when it comes to curbside conversation....

I'm hoping our local feed stores and TSC stores will remain in business, even if limiting access, as these are essential for making sure critters are fed. Restaurants around these parts are doing take-out or curb-side service only. I was expecting a run on gasoline, as that usually happens in panic scenarios, but so far so good, perhaps since no one is traveling.

My sister (in Florida) lost her job; she was in the hospitality business working at a hotel. She lives a hand-to-mouth existence so I'm hoping she'll be able to receive some of the federal aid currently being discussed.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:30 pm

texsure If it helps, here the local feed and horse store (Western Saddlery) has you give and pay for your order over the phone, then call when you arrive and they will load it for you with no contact. And we were the first to go on shelter in place and no shortage of gas, as few people are driving. Gas prices are dropping fast.

My city provided one of the first test centers where anyone can come, but they can only do 350 a day. They only tested at risk people or those with symptoms. 54 of 250 came back positive! If you were terrified, that should make you. And how knows how many asymptomatic people are out there who can pass it on. Stay at home. Be paranoid.

Some sort of good news. My husband's coworker (who was laid off a month ago) was in the hospital with Covid 19. But, he was doing well enough, and they needed the beds, so he is released to recover at home!

blob

Postby blob » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:39 pm

Cases are on a pretty high raise in my state (I think Tanga and I are in the same state...).

I am doing ok with grocery for now only because for the past year or so I have been getting a CSA basket from local farms that delivers to your doorstep. That service is still working and delivering doorstep as normal and so with some fresh veggies and eggs coming in weekly, i can make do with pantry staples I already have. So, i've avoided the store for weeks.

Mostly worried about my parents. My dad is in his 70s and is still working and therefore interacting with people. My mom is a teacher, so working from home but she has bad asthma.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:06 am

Blob I always got the impression tanga was out west. May be wrong. I am in Georgia, south of you though. Just south of Macon. My DH goes or used to go to Albany every week to his firm's law office there. He is a SSI/disability and VA attorney and travels all over the SE for hearings or did until this coronavirus. Now he is working from home and they have just a skeleton crew at their Macon office and their Albany office has just 2 employees. Albany now has national guard and the CDC in place. It has been hit hard. I'm not sure how badly Macon hospitals are fairing.

No shelter in place, Macon and Warner Robins (near Robins AFB) just this week shut down bars and restaurants though some had already done the correct thing and had either shut down (bars) or go to curbside only service. Warner Robins/Houston county has already had one death due to COVID19. There are many here being a red state who did not and still do not take it this virus seriously. Sigh. We started preparing early. I had already stocked up on TP and paper towels before anyone else was. We also had stocked up on can goods, dog/cat food and horse food. Trying to be prepared (DH and DS are both Eagle Scouts)

Thank goodness mom is here on the farm with us since she is in the most vulnerable with highest mortality rate at 83.

Got my straw bale garden started, takes about 2-3 weeks for the bales to "cure". I went ahead and bought two tomato plants to get ahead of the game. planted one in a left over bale that has cilantro planted on one side and will put the other into a pot. Just waiting on the other veggie plants beside the cool season ones (I have a good batch of lettuce going already) to be made available.

Piedmont what a pretty girl your mare is! Yes lots of rain here too and lots of grass growing already. I usually can wait to start putting horses in during the day (they are our 24/7 weather permitted) until mid to late April. We are heating up already and the grass is growing so much I may have to go ahead and start putting them up.

I hope we all come through this with our health intact and are mental health as well.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:00 am

I like this. It really makes me angry that some people still blow this off as an older people's disease, etc. The interviews day after day after health care workers' distress about the mounting tidal wave of patients is heartbreaking. And they're putting their lives on the line everyday they go into work with inadequate equipment, in addition to dealing with the consequences relative to their loved ones. Perhaps this will help to make the cavalier (is that too polite? :evil: ) more aware.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/in ... spartandhp

Clap at 8!

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:48 am

Tanga is in N. California (East Bay) as am I.
2nd week of shelter in place completed for us. We started early. The first week was definitely easier than the second. DH and I have been out in public spaces maybe 3 times tops to get take out dinner and grocery shopping. I prepped before the shutdown so we're pretty well set.
DD#2 is hunkered down in her studio apartment in Manhattan. DD#1 is getting ready to ship out from San Francisco back to NYC to work for their Department of Health. That kid sees a fire and has to run to it. So both kids in the thick of things. And then to top it off, MIL is in a nursing home in N. New Jersey and they had a worker test positive. So I'm making sure that I take my anxiety meds every friggin day.
I miss my horses terribly but they're in a good place and probably don't miss me but miss the carrots :lol: Tanga, they're at MarVal.
Anyway, we're supposed to have the shelter in place order lifted Apr 7 but reading the data coming out, I predict that it will be 3 months minimum.
And now that there's not a bag of flour to be found, I have the baking itch. Go figure.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:38 am

As Straightforward said, we are now a shelter in place state. Today, I took out about 25 days of supplement for Kyra and paid the board bill. Had a nice ride too but will definitely cut back. She has been sitting most of the last 5 years. Another 3-6 weeks isn't going to bother her. I have an appointment with the trimmer next Monday and the vet for vaccines and teeth the next Monday so I will go out for those if they are still working which I suspect they are. I have a teenager doing the cleaning in Kyra's pen every other day so unless she gets sick, Kyra won't be up to her eyeballs in poop.

My sister and I decided to take opposite days to take care of Mom. That way, we (who are the ones going to the grocery store for her) hopefully won't be giving each other something.

All I know is my butt is getting tired and sore already (I actually have been in hunker down mode for over a week before the SIP order other than shopping and the occasional barn trip. I need to get off of it! Maybe I will start going for a short walk every couple hours...that would help lots of things.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:50 am

We don't have a shelter in place order yet. In the meantime, pretty much everything is closed.

I'm working, ordering supplies for the local food pantry, riding, and starting seeds for vegetables <3 I was supposed to begin physical therapy for my hip yesterday, but, yeah, NO. Instead, I'm starting online/video PT on Monday. It took some convincing. Apparently they'll only move existing patients to video, not new.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:13 pm

To give you a bit of the flavor of different parts of the country, here is an announcement from our county commissioner:
"After a number of conference calls today and debates back and forth of should we Declare a State of Emergency, I did. Not sure what that does for us but wanted to be on the safe side."

Wow, I feel safer already! :-0

Kentucky is being much more proactive than Tennessee in guiding citizens to appropriate actions and is doing more testing (although still not at the level necessary across the country).
KY vs TN.jpg
KY vs TN.jpg (192.18 KiB) Viewed 21242 times

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:58 pm

And somebody's president insists on insulting my Governor while Michigan is listed as #4 in the country with infections. Not my President.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:13 pm

piedmontfields wrote:To give you a bit of the flavor of different parts of the country, here is an announcement from our county commissioner:
"After a number of conference calls today and debates back and forth of should we Declare a State of Emergency, I did. Not sure what that does for us but wanted to be on the safe side."

On the other end of the state, near Memphis, Mom's county declared a state of emergency 4 days ago. Nothing else. No orders to stay home, no suggestion of social distancing. Just check on your elderly neighbors, and offer to share supplies.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”