Let the horse hair fly! March and April Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
demi
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Let the horse hair fly! March and April Goals and Progress

Postby demi » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:56 pm

I have my horses at home and am still riding. I haul out to weekly lessons, although I have missed my last three, two due to my own travel and one due to my trainer being away at a show. I plan to go to my lesson on Monday. Trainers barn has only 5-10 people there at a time and the barn/arena is big and very open so good air circulation.

As far as my training, I was thinking that shortening Rocky’s 1+ inches was going to be difficult but it is turning out much easier than I though. After a week off, while I was in Michigan, she came back into work quite willing and carrying herself up with barely any drama. I am really looking forward to my next lesson because I want to see what my trainer thinks of the progress.

DH is 74 and I’m 66 so we are pretty much sheltering in. I had to go take care of my 91 yr old mom in Michigan last week and the trip was just when we were realizing what was going on with the virus. They cancelled SXSW on the 6th and my flight out was on the 8th. In retrospect, I don’t know if I would have cancelled the trip or not. She lives with my brother and SIL and brother drives SIL to Houston quarterly from cancer treatment at MD Anderson. We don’t want to leave mom alone and since my other two sisters are still working, I’m the one that stays with her.

My heart is with this small group of dressage enthusiasts on this board. I love reading “all ya all’s” reports and I feel for you with the problems.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:58 pm

I really enjoyed the latest pics from Aleuronx and Chantal!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:18 pm

Chisamba wrote:I hope we can get some herd immunity without overwhelming the medical care community. Anyway, I'm still riding and allowing riding.

What about you?

I am still riding. Annabelle required social distancing this entire winter ;) , so I've been riding before work since December, and plan to stick with that routine, so I usually only see the BO. I think I'll take some Clorox wipes tomorrow and start a routine of wiping down doorknobs and switches while the girls have their pre-work snack. I'm working from home as of yesterday afternoon, so if anything, I might be spending a little more time at the barn.

Annabelle seemed a little sore and pissy this morning, and the outdoor was frosty, so we did an easy stretchy ride and she seemed OK by the end. This afternoon the vet comes to check her teeth and do what will hopefully be her final ultrasound and get her cleared for turnout. Fingers crossed!
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:56 pm

Maia was cranky yesterday, so we just went for a walk down the road, which turned her grumpiness right around :lol:

Still liking the baucher effect. It wasn't a one-time thing: she's more steady on the bit. The extra leverage is definitely useful at the canter, but unless she really lays on my hands, it's effectively an egg butt. It's far and above preferable over the two other gadgets I've been considering (for the past year!) as a stop-gap until Maia gets over her zoomies under saddle: running martingale and gag bit.

Maia's still not sure about the baucher though. Every time I put the bridle on, she mouths the bit and makes faces, then settles — her normal reaction is to take the bit and then stand quiet. It doesn't look like it pinches, but it's a 16mm oval mouth and her last 2 bits were a 14mm loose ring french link and a 12mm D ring.

Until yesterday, I'd only seen my barn owner from afar all week. Last night she and her husband were unloading hay while I was tacking up. Since I WFH, she's pretty much my only regular human contact in person beyond my husband. Monthly lunches with friends have been cancelled.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:48 pm

demi wrote:I really enjoyed the latest pics from Aleuronx and Chantal!

Aw, thank you. I need some new pics of my guy. We are still riding, though rumors are that might change tomorrow. I'm okay if that does, people just aren't getting it, too much socializing going on. :cry:

Anyway, Mikey's doing well. We went on a long trail ride today with 4 peeps, distancing and all. Mikey scared himself and had one minor episode of half-hearted leaping (3 leaps) then got his brain back and was fine. We aren't jumping anymore, don't want to get injured and I am now hacking out in my new protective vest DH got me. Great timing as he's got spring fever already with the nicer weather and grassing coming up.

Our dressage lessons have been going very well, saddle fits great and even the chiro agrees. 2 minor ouchy spots on the opposite side of his body from the normal side and I'm very pleased.

Of course we were going to start showing but that's on hold. Maybe there will be some virtual shows so we can do something. If not,we'll sit and get fat.

I hope all of you are well and with those you love!

blob

Postby blob » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:57 am

Still working on getting RP more supple on both sides--lots of changes of bend. There are days when it is hard for him but he tries. And there are days when it is hard for him and he sort of tantrums about it. His left lead canter has felt very nice and rideable lately. His right lead is still a bit tricky. I can manage quality through transitions, but it's not that adjustable in the canter.

Had a great lesson with MM the other day. We are starting to work on pirouettes. Just baby stuff right now, but she is taking to it quite easily. I need to improve my own feel for riding them, but sit is no problem for her. We've been working with a couple of exercises--one is using the turn on the haunches at the walk to set us up, the other is riding a square, asking for a couple working pirouette steps in the corners.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:00 pm

Amazing ride this morning using what I learned in my lesson Friday, alternating L/R 15 m circles up the centerline. Boy does that get us engaged and up and our rhythm correct. So correct that I could finally sit for more than a few strides and actually do some work at the sitting trot. On my own, without my instructor. He's so comfortable and he seemed to come up more and more as we worked on the exercise while I was sitting. No fighting at all on either of our parts. We even did some trot canter transitions. I actually cried when we were done.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:41 pm

So far i am not riding Tio, but i did change bits and bridle to see the effect...so far so good, ot using flash and he's not crossing his jaw or gaping his mouth during ground work. Still charging around the pasture with Rudy, and develops a lovely trot on my newly harrowed arena surface so he's getting better all the time and I look forward to riding and jumping him.

Rudy was no longer back sore and gave me some fun work, especially in the canter. Thinking about exvet's other thread, I soften and focus him by many of the things Dresseur does but also add ly walk then trot. The thing I noticed the other day, however, was that I wanted to almost cross over the withers with the right rein when travelling left. I figured it meant that Rudy was not fully engaging right hind, and so I focused on keeping the right hand equidistant for the wither and presto!, no popping right shoulder out or faking the shoulder in. Unlike most horses, Rudy's hollow side is right, not left, so he doesn't always go fully into a right outside rein.

As an aside, it is truly a blessing to have a horse to ride that I am 100% confident that he will never do anything to put me in the emergency room. :P

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:57 am

So, mistakes are how I learn so when I mentioned to a friend that I seem to be either forward, or supple, I realized I was the reason for that. Fix it forward. No one has ever said that before. (Sarcasm) So I really focused on getting the bend, supple and balance I like while going for the oomph in trot.

So we did get some more dynamic lateral with more supple balance. Not perfect mind, but progress
20200324_204319_240x360-01.jpeg
Kimba half pass
20200324_204319_240x360-01.jpeg (34.08 KiB) Viewed 23174 times

Otoh, my big gawky awkward Amish cart horse is finally more consistent and stretching somewhat to the contact. I brought him to a clinic and the clinician gasped and said " I have never seen a horse like this" . Lol. But I love him, he is fun and tries hard and such a character. So the sword head. Aka Caliburn

20200324_154146_240x246-01.jpeg
Caliburn
20200324_154146_240x246-01.jpeg (30.99 KiB) Viewed 23174 times

Did I tell you I have a new project. Saiph. Just getting to know her. I'll tell you more when I know her better.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:07 am

I have actually been getting to the barn (very low traffic private pleasure barn) every other day. Very easy to isolate out there.

I think I have ridden 3x in a row! Still doing mostly walk as Kyra isn't very fit and I am less so :P . Today we headed to the trotting track on the other side of the road but that only lasted about 2 laps before she wigged out from being alone. Weather also turned rapidly and it got windy and she is just not a wind horse. We went back to the arena and she was totally fine over there. All of them have been a bit on edge as yesterday they got a visit from a flock of wayward turkeys :shock: . Nowhere to be seen today but she was looking.

My sessions are still pretty short but I have been working on connection and suppleness. Doing various exercises incorporating a lot of lateral work in the walk. For our trot work, I have been doing a bunch of bending lines. Last time, I did serpentines and today did change of direction through the center of the circle. She is doing amazingly well for what little work she has gotten. When we start trot she wants to dive a bit and I have to remind her to carry herself. Some reinforcing leg with a brief lift of the outside rein usually cures it. What canter I have done is OK. The other day she was very tense but the other horses in the arena at the time I started riding all abandoned her. I was able to get her to relax some with some counter bending. My back is a bit stiff from lack of riding muscles so it wasn't all her. Just something more to work on.

It feels good to ride again. I hope I can keep it going. All the brushing has actually helped my ailing right shoulder. I am doing a DVD series to work on my carpal tunnel on the left side and thus far, it is helping so it would be really nice...I only need to make it to 4/11 to have gone 1 year WITHOUT surgery.
Whohoo.

Everyone stay isolated and safe.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:17 pm

Susan, glad you are riding!

Chisamba, can't wait to hear about your new project!

Annabelle is getting an SI injection tomorrow, so I'm giving her some time off and reintroducing turnout. I'm hopeful for trying a lesson with the potential new instructor in 2-3 weeks, depending on the Covid situation. However, I'm going to hold off on getting on Tesla until things even out per admonitions to avoid activities that might send a person to the hospital.

Still lunging bootcamp for Tesla, though she is getting better. I was using a driving whip but needed some more reach. A regular lunge whip was too unwieldy and difficult to control, so I doubled the lash back on itself and taped it up, so it doesn't tangle and I can thump her from a little farther away. Quite the attitude on her, so probably not a bad thing to continue the lunging until she adjusts better to moving when I say so. In other ways she's very easy and compliant, so it's hard to know which way the riding will go.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:11 pm

Today I had a really productive ride on Mr. Junior. I doubled up on the lateral work in the walk for my warm-up - SI to 10 meter circle to Tr and SI to Renver both directions. At the walk and trot I did a fair amount of leg yielding back and forth along the long sides....then in the trot I went back and forth between HP to LY to HP and so on. I also did a bit of 20 meter circle to the tear drop exercise that was suggested in trot and canter. I worked a lot on forward and back within the gait. I really collected the canter insisting on 2-3 strides of pirouette-type of collected canter and then back out. I'm happy to say that our canter to walk and walk to canter transition were spot on after that. I also tested ourselves in the halt - all but one completely square and I know where I messed up on that one. I'm also asking and getting some pretty good stretchy circles in the canter towards the end of m y rides.

I think our tempo is improving and is more consistently where it should be in all 3 gaits. Mr. Junior has been a pretty good egg since the shelter in place has been in effect. He's been getting ridden in the arena in the morning and then ridden 4-6 miles on the trail in the afternoon (someone at home is extremely bored and getting him out on the mustang greatly improves his mood LOL ;) Not to worry, however, I have a 3 day stint in emergency since I'm considered to hold an 'essential' position; so, Mr. Junior will get a 3 day vacay.

On a side note, my greatest concern with work is that the Governor is demanding to know what our inventory is for PPE in case they need to redirect it to the human side. I get it. I know my oath but it will be interesting to see what the directive is if we run out of sterile gloves and/or masks in terms of emergency surgeries on our patients. I doubt my liability carrier would be happy if I had to perform any procedures bare-handed that put my patients at risk. At the same time if I run out I know so will the others.............tough times ahead I'm afraid. At least I'm still gainfully employed.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:35 pm

My husband's surgery glove order was stolen en route to the clinic. I will do all the surgeries until my supply gets low and then it'll be emergencies only. Grrrr. meanwhile, just trying to keep my 3 employees gainfully employed without putting our business in jeopardy.

Last few days, weather-wise, it has been in the low 20's every night and the wind is cookin'. Horses are especially cheeky right now along with miserable weather...not riding right now.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:34 pm

For now having my horse in training....I could technically ride per the shelter in place rules, but I don't feel right about it and I don't want to contribute to any problems. Otherwise things are going really well and I look forward to getting back out~!

khall

Postby khall » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:37 am

So because of the virus and concern about not taking a trip to the ER I am being very cautious about riding. I probably won't get on Joplin since she has had time off while we were dealing with Dad's declining health and death. Rip I will be careful about and choose wisely when I get on. Gaila we will see. But I am going to explore a few new training regimes, one is the TRT method on line (had to postpone my clinic with Cedar this month so wanted something to work on) Jec Balou "55 Corrective Exercises for Horses: Resolving Postural Problems, Improving Movement Patterns, and Preventing Injury"
I bought sure hoof pads to try and I am going to start long lining all of my horses. Rip looks great when I lunge him looking forward to see if the long lining will help even more with his engagement and collection and extensions. I think it will help Joplin learn better on carrying herself etc and Gaila just needs to lose weight:) Joplin too!

So things to work on carefully. Knee is not 100% but much better. Put off MRI for now.

What a weird time we are living through.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:32 am

I rode Maia today :) No serious work — it's rained a lot recently, so our arena is soggy — but we did some good stuff. Then walked down the road and made big eyes and snorts at the lone neighbor horse kicking up its heels ... then the human neighbor who normally pets her was bent over weeding ... and the guy from down the land who has been trimming trees? HE was concerning. And his Kubota was out of place. But the chain saw? No biggy. Didn't even flinch ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:39 am

I wish I had better update but these are the times eh?

I'm struggling with the concept of riding. Kora is young, fractious mare and the unpredictability level is certainly not low. Regardless of the rules (which there are none for our state, yet) do I feel right continuing on? I don't know.

Our barn is trying to figure out new policies for boarders coming in and sanitizing etc. The lesson program for the kiddos ended this week.

Our states 'stay at home' order went into effect last night for non-essential businesses. At my workplace the legal team decided that because we supply Ford and GM (who are not making cars right now...) and the DOD (solely for aerospace purposes...) that we are essential for transportation. So business as usual!! :cry:

In addition to continuing to come into work everyday we had a meeting yesterday afternoon that effective immediately all salary employees with have a pay cut of 10% for the next 3 months to be evaluated ongoing. Sigh. I'm looking to jump ship but obviously now is not the greatest for that.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:11 am

After great lessons last weekend, this week has been more of a mixed bag.

I had a couple lack-luster rides with MM--nothing bad, just meh. However, her trailer practicing is going well and today we officially graduated from the step up to a ramp (she got hurt slipping on a ramp). I've found a method that works well with her--try her a few times and then tie her to the trailer and go do something else, come back and try a couple times, tie her and go do something else. I do this until she decides to load--it's usually the first time after being tied for a bit. It's a good system because it prevents either of us from getting frustrated and feeling over it. It also lets her decide to load without a ton of pressure. After several days of walking right up on the step-up, I had to do the tying technique again today. She got on after several tying breaks. But I feel cautiously optimistic that just like the step up, we will get her loading on a ramp again too.

RP has been struggling to maintain his left lead canter and I can't seem to figure out what's going on or what to do to help the problem. He picks up the lead with no problem both under saddle and on the lunge. When lunging, he will usually swap behind after one circle around. Under saddle, I can usually keep the left lead on a circle, but if I leave the circle, he'll swap either completely or just behind. I managed to get a full time around the arena today, but it involved me leaning aggressively to the left. I tend to ride left better than right, so I usually find it much easier to fix left lead issues than right lead issues. But this sudden issue is proving to be a bit tricky. And I'm not sure the path forward--time off to see if it's soreness/injury related? Just stick to riding circles until he's stronger? Do lots of trot-canter-trot transitions? Lean like crazy to the left for a few rides and hope something fixes.

The irony of course is that his left lead canter feels stronger and more supple than the right lead canter.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:14 am

Blob, do you have someone who could adjust RP? Annabelle's right lead would deteriorate in between adjustments until she got stronger and could hold herself together better.
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:22 pm

StraightForward wrote:Blob, do you have someone who could adjust RP? Annabelle's right lead would deteriorate in between adjustments until she got stronger and could hold herself together better.

I have a great bodyworker who was coming out semi-regularly for RP. She hasn't come out in a bit. Originally it was because of my work travel. But i have to check-in with her to see if she is still coming out/working. Good reminder! She has also given us some 'homework' stretches and releases--for his neck area, but I have not been good about doing them lately, so that might also help.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:05 pm

Blob, how old is RP? I had a very difficult time with my welsh cob, Monty, his 5th/6th year. In fact after doing well at training level for close to a year, he started swapping leads in the back, mostly in one direction (don't remember which one). It was a strength issue combined with growing that I wasn't aware that he was doing (welsh don't just grow up LOL). It took several months of conditioning work, lots and lots of transitions from trot to canter and back and I used jumping low fences to help. We ended up winning the state championships for 1st level the following year as well as 2nd level the year after that as well as HOY for the state so fortunately it wasn't an injury or permanent problem.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:55 pm

exvet wrote:Blob, how old is RP? I had a very difficult time with my welsh cob, Monty, his 5th/6th year. In fact after doing well at training level for close to a year, he started swapping leads in the back, mostly in one direction (don't remember which one). It was a strength issue combined with growing that I wasn't aware that he was doing (welsh don't just grow up LOL). It took several months of conditioning work, lots and lots of transitions from trot to canter and back and I used jumping low fences to help. We ended up winning the state championships for 1st level the following year as well as 2nd level the year after that as well as HOY for the state so fortunately it wasn't an injury or permanent problem.

RP is 7, so a bit older than Monty. But he's had a slower start to getting into any kind consistent work. So he might be having growing pains a bit later. Focusing on transitions to strength train makes sense. I'll also have access to hills again soon. I might do some jumping work on the lunge with him to see how he handles small jumps before I brave them under saddle!

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:36 pm

So the show I was planning to go to got cancelled, and I'm sheltering at home until all this blows over, including working from home. I'm fortunate to have my horses in my backyard, so continue to ride.

I got a video of a practice test recently (screenshot below), and am seeing definite improvement from a few months ago (last time I got video), so I'm chuffed about that. His contact has improved a thousand fold in the past 6 months or so, and everything's getting stronger and steadier. Still have plenty to improve, but when is that not true!

I have a frustrating issue where I can get the test pretty good when I'm alone, but as soon as someone is watching me perform it, I tense up just a little. Which my horse reads and mirrors....so there is tension throughout the test that is not there in an everyday practice.

In the case of this most recent practice run, it meant we flubbed the 1s and the first pirouette (that comes right after the 1s). Having experimented with this during lessons, if I really RIDE him when someone's watching, he's fine, it's just the tension. So I need to learn to ride through it - which is easier said than done, especially since even in normal times, I don't have easy access to people that will come out and watch. Anyway, it sure gives me something to work on.

I've seen some "online show" ride-a-tests and am debating sending in this practice run. It's got issues, but I would like the feedback from a pro, as I'm on my own island here.

Hope everyone's safe and healthy and sheltering in place. This is a scary time.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (14.57 KiB) Viewed 22804 times

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:58 pm

For everyone on stay at home orders, hang in there. I've been working from home and for me, a big introvert, I'm coping well. Sometimes I wish I had my co-workers to bitch to, but on the other hand, being removed from the negativity is a good thing. Before stay at home orders were issued, I was still able to get to Andrea's regularly to ride Miro. He feels and looks amazing - watching him work through the changes has been inspiring. He's starting to get it, but Andrea had to be a bit unorthodox and do them on a circle so that he had to maintain a bit of bend and not blast through the shoulder. He's also starting to find some gears with the "passage" work. We switched him to a drop noseband and he absolutely loves it - he has more jaw freedom than before (the drop is loose and he can open his jaw if he wants to), so he doesn't get the weird dead lock that he could sometimes get in the regular cavesson and flash. His pirouettes are also coming along very nicely and he's gaining strength week by week.

I put my notice into my barn today - Miro will be staying down at Andrea's permanently. I can't pass up this opportunity to have him so carefully managed and to have her pushing the training along as I learn the finer points of GP work. My leg is 95% there. I can ride again, although it's incredibly frustrating to know what to do, but not be able to execute because of a lack of dexterity or because I can't quite use my leg a certain way, but it's coming. I keep reminding myself that I wasn't even riding a bit ago. I just keep going slowly and carefully. I'm running a mile again - but making sure I rest for at least 1 full day between runs, and I'm carefully working through a strength building routine to fill in gaps in the strength of my leg. For instance, I can't do step ups if my knee approaches 90 degrees. It really tweaks my leg. I also can't turn my leg in on the saddle the way I used to, so I have to be careful there. But overall, I'm happy. Just wanting to get more riding time, which of course has been curtailed by the stay at home orders.

I just hope everyone is staying healthy... mentally and physically. This is a tough time, lots of stress, lots of fear and everything has changed. I'm glad to have this board to reach out to fellow dressage riders and horse lovers.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:31 pm

I feel very lucky to have my horses at home. I also am grateful that my coach and the facility she works out of sees my situation as a low risk; so, I've been able to maintain regular riding lessons. I haul in and out and touch nothing but what I bring with me and take home. I had a great lesson today. Given all the exercises and suggestions that everyone gave to help me slow down Junior's tempo and make him more supple, my coach was able to see a big difference in his trot especially. We had power, larger strides with really nice cadence. We worked on maintaining that in the lateral work. Interestingly Junior responds well to being pushed to increase the power but shrinks, contracts and gets tense with half-halts; so, this is my homework. By the end of the lesson I was able to get big, supple with nice cross over work in the traver and really nice shoulder ins by finessing the half-halts between hand and seat - he does require just the right mix. I also got some good tips on turning on the haunches/walk pirouettes in order to be able to decrease their size but maintain the forward energy and keeping a good marching step behind by breaking it down into very simple components to get Junior to accept each aid first individually and then altogether.

I'm still working full-time and having to engage with the public. So far it seems all is going well; but, to be honest I think the greatest risk facing my situation is that my staff consists almost entirely of teens and 20 year olds who it seems really aren't taking things as seriously as they should. Hope everyone here is symptom-free and coping with the madness.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:22 pm

We've been on a stay at home order since 8 PM Monday. Maia did not get the memo. She's still battling off the mastitis, and has added gastritis. I've been out multiple times a day for meds and ice baths. Girly is still feverish and not eating all her grain (this is a horse who gnaws her bucket getting up every last scrap twice a day).

So we just had a second vet visit this week. Still haven't gotten the culture back, so staying on the current daily antibiotics, plus a fresh dose of paste antibiotics right into the infected teat, banamine as needed for fever, continuing the probiotics ........ and ...... a week's worth of gastrogard. Sigh. Vet took blood for a CBC too. Yay.

I told Maia that I'd rather not see her again until 6 AM. We'll see if she cooperates.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:11 pm

Kelo, I have been trying to improve the quality of my half pass with Kimba. I love how level your shoulders are.

I am sorry poor Maia is struggling with health issues. Could it possible be anaplasmosis?

Exvet I am pleased for you that your life seems to be going on as normal. We are very close to the Covid 19 epicenter, so for us it is not not business as usual.

Dresseur, I am a bit envious to hear how quickly Miro is progressing. I suppose I am happy to be plodding along at my slow pace, but wow, Miro doing PSG work already!

Anyway, here is a little pic of Kimba in half pass.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200330-172617_Video Player_240x493-01.jpeg
Screenshot_20200330-172617_Video Player_240x493-01.jpeg (55.13 KiB) Viewed 22643 times

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:37 pm

Chisamba wrote:I am sorry poor Maia is struggling with health issues. Could it possible be anaplasmosis?

Maia's had mastitis before, so there's scar tissue which makes it more likely to recur. And there's swelling, heat, and lots of cloudy discharge. So, until the CBC and culture of the discharge come back, the vet is treating as mastitis. This is a slightly less extreme version of what we went through last summer, with a different antibiotic regimen.

Treatment is complicated by her medical history — after 3 months of twice daily antibiotics as a foal, she's very sensitive to them. Normally the addition of paste probiotics keeps her gut moving, but it's not working right now. We likely won't use this new antibiotic again.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:15 pm

Chisamba, I feel for everyone who has been affected by this disease/infection. I know in a few more weeks we're going to see economic fall-out that will start to hit me like most everyone. Arizona's governor is very pro business so he has been more liberal in his sanctions/moratoriums than many. It does not make sense to me being very familiar with infectious disease and herd/population dynamics. My mother's retirement home has been on lock down for more than one month. They issued letters to all the residents that if anyone leaves the facility for anything other than medical reasons they will not be allowed to return. They picked up all the furniture throughout the facility - library, visiting areas, game room, etc that had been used by their residents to discourage even small groups gathering. They have all been told to stay in their apartments and only come to the door to pick up their meals left outside. No one other than healthcare staff and employees are allowed into the facility. They are following a shower in and shower out protocol. I do my mother's shopping, pick up her prescriptions, and bring her things like her mail (they are no longer allowed to receive their mail at their facility), purchase books for her read and lots of crossword puzzles, etc. I get to see my mother from a distance of 10 feet and am directed to drop all items off in the vestibule of her facility. This will continue as we know at least until the end of June. So I'm not completely unscathed. I am still more fortunate than most in that I'm employed, my children are still both employed, and no one I know of personally is sick with this - yet.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:43 am

Bloodwork is all normal. Phew.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:05 am

I did make a barn trip today. The traffic at the barn is more than usual since many are not working but I am still able to distance myself and the way the wind has been blowing, the virus should have been in the next county quite quickly . This barn is only partial care so I am trying to minimize my trips but still feel the need to check on her from time to time. Between the turkey flocks wandering around, the nasty weather and OH, we had an earthquake yesterday :shock: , I went out today to give her the once over.

That said, Kyra was cold and full of **it. I didn't feel the need to get on. I got some my pretty pony stuff done. I brushed out her very full tail. It needs a full wash and condition but it is going to have to warm up some first. No wash facility with hot water at this barn :P .

I did lunge her and to try and get her to focus a bit more. Bringing her into the barn, I felt like I was flying a kite :roll: . I marked a square with cones (about 8 ft x 8 ft) so we had a box. Most times...but not all, I asked her to do something while she was in the box. From trot, I would have her halt. Then I might move her shoulders around the haunches and have her trot off or halt in the box and back up. Then I had her halt in the box, walk off, canter then come to back to walk in the box, rinse and repeat. Then just for kicks and giggles I asked her to halt in the box from canter, square herself (if she wasn't already), settle for 10-15 seconds then canter from halt. She nailed it first time on the left rein. On the right rein, the first time she took 2 walk steps into canter so we tried again and she nailed that one. I was surprised how nicely she worked. In the canter work, the box worked great to get her to naturally collect as she came into the box. I didn't have her stop every time...she still had to listen to me. It was a fun session and she acted entirely pleased with herself.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:48 pm

Yup been quite the April Fools for Idaho. In a week where we were supposed to see highs in the 70's, we've had gale force winds, hard, hard rain followed by a day of snow, and in the midst of it all, a 6.5 earthquake. :lol: :lol:

I am still walking, even this morning when wind chill brought the temp down to 12F, but I have been a wimp and have NOT ridden. I did at least get the boys' feet trimmed and even Tio's feet look great. So thank God for small blessings. My horses really do look and feel great, I hope to ride soon; meanwhile my tack is very clean and Tio has a new bit which he likes much better than the last one.

Jingles that Maia gets better soon and happy dance that her CBC was good.

Stay safe exvet and keep you mom safe. I have the same situation except my elderly mom lives next door.

Chisamba, I doubt my advice will be helpful, but a bnt once told me to put my belly button on the letter I was hp'ing to. Poof shoulders level, weight centered. I have no idea why that worked for me. :P

Dresseur, congratulations on settling Miro's accommodations and patience in regaining strength and flexibility in your leg.

demi

Postby demi » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:25 am

Well, I am enjoying reading about those of us that are still riding, and those that are working their horses, and those with horses still in training. The earthquakes!?! I lived in CA for 18 years and clearly remember the Loma Prieta in 89. There was one quake that was only 6 something but it was only 10 miles from our house. We had no serious damage but it was dramatic. So I can imagine you all in Utah and Idaho having quakes while the pandemic is going on. Wow. Just wow.

I miss my lessons. It’s been 5 weeks because I missed a few due to travel. My barn is not officially closed but trainer is discouraging people from coming out, and I totally agree. I’ve been extra busy for the last two weeks as I built a chicken coop, got three chickens, and put in a small garden. I’ve managed to get some riding in during all this but not the quality that I had when I was doing weekly lessons. Now that the Chickens are settled, I plan to video some rides and take lessons somehow. Maybe post on youtube and then talk to trainer while she watches.

I really feel like Rocky is understanding what we are doIng together. I feel like she is helping me to work on myself, and as I figure out how my riding is affecting Rocky, she responds amazingly. I am trying to smooth the aides out and she gives me very clear, quick feedback when I do it right. I miss the mirrors at my trainers and I would love to be getting her response to they way Rocky is going right now. Yeah, so video. But we have rain forecast for the next 6 days. Even if I can ride between showers, the Soloshot needs fairly clear skies for the gps to work.

At least I am riding! And am very very thankful. DH and I are taking sheltering in very seriously by the way.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:55 am

First I want to say how nice it is to be here. I had forgotten what a welcoming space this is.
I am lucky to have Bravo at home. We have been working on connection in just the snaffle and I am starting to transition back to the double while maintaining the connection. I am figuring out how much I have been cheating IRT the use of my leg and seat.... Bravo is not sure he is happy about it all.
Looking forward to shows starting up again, but this time to just work on training with no pressure is wonderful.

Now if we could just do something about these hot days.... come on, it's only April!!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:43 pm

This morning was fabulous. I've been avoiding the barn on weekend, but Telsa was prescribed a few days of Banamine following her spring shots, so I headed out to do that this morning. No one except the stall cleaners were there when I arrived, so I decided to ride. Annabelle felt way better and more forward under saddle, so I'm pretty confident now that the SI injection was what she needed. I've been trying since last summer to work out why I drop my left shoulder so much. The Feldenkrais practitioner the Ritters have been collaborating with talked about this in their last livestream, and I've started using some of that advice to disrupt my usual patterns and try different approaches to fixing this. So today, instead of trying to straighten and lift my left side and shoulder, I focused more on keeping my right elbow close to my hip, and keeping my right ribs sort of knit together. It felt sooo much better and I think this is going to be a big key to solidifying my position and also helping Annabelle (we'd gotten terrible co-dependent with our left side hollowness). She was a little "WTF?!" but then also gave me better work and didn't fall on her left shoulder nearly as much.

Last but not least, we've been slowly reintroducing her to solo turnout for a couple weeks, and today was the first day she got to go back with the herd. Maybe at least this little sector of the world can be back to normal now.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:24 pm

Today was a super beautiful day. warm, peaceful and quiet at the barn. We took care of all the horses, disinfected the metal surfaces, lead ropes and things that are touched a lot, of course it is hard to disinfect everything but the buckets hoses, all things that are touched a lot. I am very happy with how Kimba and I are progressing together again. we had kind of hit a plateau. I looked back up the thread and i am quite happy with the progress from the difference in the first hp photo i posted and the most recent one. I studied my many video very thoroughly recognised a couple of problems and really worked on them and voila, Kimba improves.

Caliburn is just at that level where trying to maintain what we have gained through transitions is important and beginning to work on sitting trot and some lateral work.

Lorilu, i hope that you and Bravo make great progress going back to the snaffle.

Straighforward, glad you had a good ride on Annabelle,

Demi, i am sorry you are missing our lessons this is a really unusual time, but the horses bring me serenity in the midst of the chaos. NJ had 37 thousand cases and nearly 800 deaths. On of my very good friends in a doctor and she says at her hospital they are not out of ventilators, but they have a queue of people in ICU needing them and not enough staff to get them hooked up. the two med schools here are graduating their interns a few months early to get them out into the hospitals. She is so stressed set up an apartment downstairs from her family and showers before she leaves work and then again when she gets home, she even wears a mask at home. i feel for the medical profession. I went to their barn at home and taught her, just because she needed it so much, and i got permission from my family. did the whole disinfect, shower, mask goggles thing

So i was going to tell you about Saiph, she is a warmblood, my first ever. She is a rehab case, came in with strict rehab instructions, and intensive care. We all got on board with treatment, hand walking no turn out, and she has made positive progress so i am really hoping for a good outcome. We started tack walking up to 45 minutes with only a few minutes of trot. So there is no training going on, we are just getting to know each other, and we ride with the timer on and its about getting healthy, not training yet. Her sire is a Hanoverian, Redwine, she is very very pretty so i assume the mother is an arabian because she is an approved oldenburg and they accept approved arabians. i am not knowledgeable about oldenburg's at all.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:21 am

Chisamba, there are two "oldenbergs" - the German (Oldenberg GOV) and the Oldenberg Registry N.A. / ISR.... That 's all I know! Good luck with her she sounds promising!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:27 am

I think ISR accepts Arabians, but GOV does not. ISR horses are branded and GOV are microchipped, not branded (ISR kind.of stole the brand copyright for.use.in the US).
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:09 pm

Glad to hear everyone's updates.

Heddylamar, so glad bloodwork was good--any updates?

Chisamba, Saiph is beautiful (I've seen pictures on FB), excited to hear her progress.

SF, glad the SI injections seem to be working out!

I am still riding. My state is 'shelter in place', but outdoor activities are permitted, so I will ride for now.

MM has been a bit of a slug lately. But I have noticed a pattern with her over the last few years that she tends to struggle in the spring--possibly from energy, but it seems more that every spring her mood becomes relatively sullen. She does well in summer (other than allergies), so i don't think it's strictly a heat issue, though it could be adjusting to heat. I am going to try to focus the next couple weeks on more 'fun' and different things--jumping, poles, lunging, etc. Just to keep her mentally interested. I might even find a silly trick to teach her. I have continued my trailer practice with her and after a really good day where she loaded right up on the ramp, let me tie her and close her in (hurrah hurrah!!), our next day of practice did not go well. She would load right up but did not want to wait--she would instantly unload herself. Finally got her to wait on me, but clearly we have more work to do.

RP has been doing ok. I have recently switched to riding him in MM's frank baines. It's not a perfect fit for him--so I have padded to accommodate, but I wanted to see if saddle was playing any part in our struggles lately. His saddle had been recently fitted, but he's just so sensitive. He seems to be liking the FB a lot more, but i'm not sure if that's just because it's different or because it's actually better. I'll keep using it on him for the next couple weeks or so and see how he does.

I tried to attach a picture of MM with her spring DAPPLES before allergy season fully kicks in. But I could not for the life of me get the picture to work, ah well.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:11 pm

Kudos to all that are and able to continue to ride. The barn scheduling seems to be working for limiting interactions and # of people on site at a time. My decision to not mount up is the right one for me, 2x week of 2 hour blocks is just not enough to keep her going safely. So we are working on other projects and doing more lunging than I can stand, IE more than twice.

This weekend I connected the trailer on the truck and worked on self-loading. Didn't take long for her to figure it out, smart cookie. I'll continue to build on that and backing off nicely. She'll stand and wait for the butt bar on both ends but once asked can reverse more quickly than I'd like. So good things to work on.
IMG_3732.jpg
IMG_3732.jpg (162.28 KiB) Viewed 22278 times

Otherwise we are doing a lot of this. I'm happy with her body condition at the moment and giving her a break while young doesn't bother me in the least. Although I'd much rather be riding!!
IMG_3744.jpg
IMG_3744.jpg (133.72 KiB) Viewed 22278 times

I'm getting quite adept of getting a lot done in our 2 hour block. We groom, we lunge, work on in hand stuff, working toward a half steps idea, did the trailer loading, washed her tail (it was a muddy broken mess!!), and will do some hand grazing once of the grass comes up a bit, and some trail walks on the nicer days. Obviously not all in one visit but the longer this goes on we'll see how crafty I can get!

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:13 pm

Well the barn where my coach is based has closed its doors to anyone that isn't staff/owner. Fortunately my coach has a few clients in my 'neighborhood' so she's coming tomorrow to give me a lesson. Since I'm still considered essential in terms of my work, I've been working my schedule and that of my Chief of Staff's so no riding yesterday or today; but, on Sunday I had a pretty productive ride. Still using the exercises recommended by many here. I'm getting more scope of gaits and thus I think Junior is becoming a little bit more supple and definitely stronger. I'll see tomorrow if my coach agrees. Glad to read that everyone else is hanging in there and making the best of things.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:44 pm

Maia's finally back to normal! We've had several days of eating everything plus non-fever temps! And she's definitely feeling better — back to terrorizing all her elders out in the pasture :roll:

So we had a short ride this morning after her last dose of gastrogard, and I'll be back in the saddle regularly this week. I expected her to be a handful, but it was like we'd just had a day off — all the great work from a week ago was still there, although she was back to being crabby and resistant about shoulder in. By the end of the ride, those were passable.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:53 pm

So I had planned to go to a recognized show and debut the Grand Prix in order to get feedback of where we are. It got cancelled due to COVID, so my instructor hooked me up with an S judge who was willing to do a "ride-a-test" video evaluation, and so we did that.

While I rode in schooling clothes and wraps (to make it very clear it was for schooling purposes only), we videoed the GP test and I sent it to her. It was one and done, no re-riding the test to perfect it, and I sent it in with burps just like a real show -- ie the second pi/pa tour was quite flat, I had two 7-counts in the canter half passes, flustered and had a mistake in the 1s, you know the drill.

I very anxiously waited for the scoring, and.....61% :mrgreen: She was kind to give me a little encouragement (she called us a "capable pair" and then gave us the key stuff we needed to focus on to improve).

So there was definitely squealing and dancing -- we are in range! With lots to improve on, of course, but -- :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

He's in my backyard, so riding is normal, and I train via video lessons, so that's still on going too. I'm hoping that we will be stronger, more skilled, and I will be a better test rider by the time this terrible pandemic is over and we can try to earn those scores for real.

Stay safe everybody.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:03 pm

oh! congrats Kelo! that is fun. I also want to use a video service to still move up a level this summer. Congrats on the good mark! I would take 61% in GP!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:04 pm

heddylamar wrote:Maia's finally back to normal! We've had several days of eating everything plus non-fever temps! And she's definitely feeling better — back to terrorizing all her elders out in the pasture :roll:

So we had a short ride this morning after her last dose of gastrogard, and I'll be back in the saddle regularly this week. I expected her to be a handful, but it was like we'd just had a day off — all the great work from a week ago was still there, although she was back to being crabby and resistant about shoulder in. By the end of the ride, those were passable.

Hooray for Maia! that is great

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:48 pm

Kelo-- awesome news! It's super hard to maintain that level of focus, and 61% isn't anything to sneeze at. Congrats to you and the cowpony! I will say that while I could nail the 15 1-tempis at home, every time I went to a show I made a mistake somewhere in there. 13, 17, 8 + stride + 7, etc... my mistakes are many and varied and ultimately I'm an embarrassment to my STEM background but honestly counting is hard.

Mid-challenge check-in:

As with everyone else, I'm making COVID19 adjustments to my riding schedule. Namely, Kiwi is on hiatus for the foreseeable future. She's a lot of things, but what she isn't is a 100% trustworthy ride and I'm not interested in spending any time in a hospital if I can help it.

Queso is still in work, much to his chagrin. He'd probably prefer to stand around and look pretty, but he's basically unflappable so he has to be the outlet for my dressage ambitions. We're starting to play with the skipped-gaits transitions (e.g. trot/halt/trot, canter/walk/canter) and he's stepping up in a big way. He also executed a (and I might be biased here) perfectly flawless 1-3 LY sequence (corner to X, 10m circles, X to other corner). I'm super happy with his "try hard" personality.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:44 am

Ponichiwa, OMG I am a writer, counting is NOT my strongpoint! I am just trying not to fall off over here and y’all want me counting to 12, 15, 9, 6 x 3, get outta here!

And don’t get me started about the 1s. I nail them 98% of the time in practice, no problemo, but if someone’s watching me, it suddenly turns into an episode of “Nailed It!” lol

But seriously if you have any tips, I would love ‘em. One of the toughest things I’m working on now is how FAST stuff is. Like you literally get one corner and hello another tough maneuver, ack!

Right now I practice a lot of “parts” of the test, ie not the whole test but will string together 2-3 sets of maneuvers to practice gluing them together. But I need to start riding the whole dang thing more often until it becomes more comfortable.

Oh, and keep in mind I am riding a horse that has taken me this whole way solely on his try hard personality - The Cowpony will try and try and try and try for me until I give him the thumbs up, and come back tomorrow and do the same thing. And I daresay workmanlike goes a long way, god bless their QH hearts.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:47 am

Congrats Kelo that is HUGE! You are my inspiration. Hopefully Junior and I will get there some day. My coach came over here to give me a lesson today. Fortunately as stated in an earlier post there are a few others that she teaches that keep horses at home, here, in our neighborhood. Junior did pretty well. We managed to slow the front end and keep the back end working up to meet the front. Collected canter was really nice though not able to be maintained for extremely long but the glimmer of things to come is addicting. He is really starting to fill out like a welsh cob should and like a dressage horse should. I hope everyone stays well and able to manage this current situation to their best end. Sounds like we're all finding a way to cope though admittedly my situation isn't nearly as tough as others other than having to continue to be in contact with the public.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:40 am

Kelo, I used to practice parts and never string the test together until a clinician asked how I thought I would improve riding the test I'd I didn't ride the whole test. He said he strongly recommended riding a test every single ride. A whole test. No adding a circle no do over. So I complained about the horse anticipating. To which he rolled his eyes and said you to get past the anticipation of the horse anticipating the pattern, to anticipation of the communication.

I am still not a good test rider, but I am way better.

I don't know of that helps.

As for anticipation, Kimba is the queen of anticipation. I am teaching us to use it as an advantage. Yes we are going to do medium next but wait til I ask . Her other problem is finishing an exercise sloppy because she reaches a letter, or side line, or centerline, so I practice teaching her to wait til I change something before she changes something.

It takes self discipline too.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:11 am

I am keeping up with everyone's updates... glad you are all healthy and that some of you are able to ride. Kelo - congratulations! That's very exciting. In my dreams I'll get there one day. lol.

I broke my foot on March 19th (freak accident, it rolled under and went SNAP when I came down off the stairs one night) so Bliss is still away from home and being ridden by my trainer. I am in a walking cast and plan to wear that for at least another week, then probably it'll be another couple weeks before I even think about riding. It's bad enough that I broke it, I have no plans to push things and then possibly injure it worse by not giving it time to heal properly.

Husband and I are both working from home full time with the little ones running around so we're just in survival mode at the moment.

Return to “Dressage Training”