Summer of Seclusion: July and August Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Dresseur
500 post plus club

Re: Summer of Seclusion: July and August Goals and Progress

Postby Dresseur » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:12 pm

Just like that, we have our 2nd level MFS scores...
He won the first class with a whopping 73% last Saturday, and then yesterday, we trailered to a small show where due to my crazy work schedule and sleep deprived brain, I managed to get lost in my choreo and missed a movement. Very costly error -but we still got the score I needed with a comfortable 67%.

We show again on Saturday - I just need ONE 3rd level MFS score, so, fingers crossed. Because I haven't even done a run through yet. Sigh.

exvet
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby exvet » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:37 am

Super Dresseur! Fingers are crossed for Saturday.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:30 pm

Rye you look great! And congrats Dresseur! So exciting... wishing you the best.

A few pics from my lesson yesterday, DH gets bored so I have a photographer once in a while. Plus he has to check on his pony. :lol: It was sooooooo stinkin' hot, I was back in bed by 11:15 for a nap.

Working on 15 meter circles and changing the bend and keeping my hands (and elbows, ack!) where they should be. And then there's the gripping with the knees.
Attachments
_DSC0711.jpeg
_DSC0711.jpeg (80.99 KiB) Viewed 15211 times
_DSC1404.jpeg
_DSC1404.jpeg (95.68 KiB) Viewed 15211 times
_DSC0657.jpeg
_DSC0657.jpeg (112.03 KiB) Viewed 15211 times

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:40 pm

So many great updates, people. Can't wait to see the new horses in the crowd.
And I love the chestnut, spotty and pinoto horse photos. Seems like a theme :-)

Big congratulations to Dresseur, too!

I think Emi is on the same silliness track that seems to be inspiring Laddie. But I apparently still have a seat :lol: It delights me to see her so full of it.

demi

Postby demi » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:28 pm

Congratulations! Dresseur and Miro. How exciting! I won’t bug you for pics or videos because you’re so busy right now. But someday would love to see vid of the freestyles. I hope you can get some sleep before Saturday.

Rye, sorry about calling Riot a half arab! Actually, I know he’s 7/8s but when I was young and Arabs were very popular, the shows grouped all partbreds under “half Arab”. I always just refer to partbreds as half. Almost 50 years ago (yikes) I had a half arab half QH that I showed a little at Arab shows. In the “English Eq” class he would often get first place, but then in the English pleasure class against the very same horses, he never won. I always suspected it was because the winners were almost pure bred (even tho they were classed as half) and they had the movement the judges were looking for.

Chantal, very nice pictures! I especially like the last one.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:30 pm

I really do love your horse's bearing and carriage Chantal. I also love the expression on his face in the third picture. His one ear cocked towards and listening to you while he seems focused on going forward and delivering on the request, really nice.

demi

Postby demi » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:48 pm

We had a brief break in the weather earlier this week but it’s right back up to mid-high 90s with 80% humidity. I’m lucky to get 3 days a week of mostly walk. I haven’t been able to video anything worth sending to my trainer for comments.

I am thinking about going to a schooling show Sept 12. But just thinking about it makes me nervous. I keep coming up with all these excuses. It will be hot for the rest of this month so I won’t get much practice before the show. Rocky has never shown. I’ve only shown dressage less than 20 times and that was mostly over 20 years ago. I wonder what will be going on with Covid 19 in another month.

Ok, sitting here typing this out, I came up with an idea. I’ll video another test and send it to one of the virtual dressage sites. I’ll pick a rated judge and if the score is acceptable, I’ll do a real show....maybe.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:00 pm

demi wrote:Congratulations! Dresseur and Miro. How exciting! I won’t bug you for pics or videos because you’re so busy right now. But someday would love to see vid of the freestyles. I hope you can get some sleep before Saturday.

Rye, sorry about calling Riot a half arab! Actually, I know he’s 7/8s but when I was young and Arabs were very popular, the shows grouped all partbreds under “half Arab”. I always just refer to partbreds as half. Almost 50 years ago (yikes) I had a half arab half QH that I showed a little at Arab shows. In the “English Eq” class he would often get first place, but then in the English pleasure class against the very same horses, he never won. I always suspected it was because the winners were almost pure bred (even tho they were classed as half) and they had the movement the judges were looking for.

Chantal, very nice pictures! I especially like the last one.

no problem, no one really knows what he is :) so I wanted to clarify. the spots and his movement really throw people off.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:11 pm

Thank you demi! Now if I could just get that darned elbow to stay in at my hip, but that's just one of the issues we are working on :lol:

exvet wrote:I really do love your horse's bearing and carriage Chantal. I also love the expression on his face in the third picture. His one ear cocked towards and listening to you while he seems focused on going forward and delivering on the request, really nice.

Thank you exvet. :D Obviously these are the best moments in time, we are working on consistency. He's very willing and happy and we are working to keep it that way. Yesterday was a bit frustrating but good to work through. I don't know if it was the heat or getting him honestly off my inside leg or my hands or outside shoulder not coming around or my pinched up knee or choose anything... If I'm not correct, he's not, go figure. What was it you said about holding yourself up?? :lol: I know it was for changes which we are a far way from, but in time. I was completely exhausted after my lesson, granted it was 90 at 10 am so there's that.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:36 pm

Oh Chantal et al, I can commiserate with everyone else on the heat. Today was 'spa' day for everyone. It's dangerously hot here and Ace decided not to eat all his grain. He's eating hay and passing manure with a normal, albeit high normal body temp; so, I'm not going to panic yet. Still I decided that everyone was going to get a bath and have their manes and tails 'done'. I think they rather enjoyed it for the most part. I also felt it best to contact the breeder of my new horse and re-schedule his pick up for next Sunday (another week) instead of this Sunday. The weather forecast indicates that highs will be 116 today and tomorrow and then drop to 112 on Sunday. I'm concerned the new guy who is from the North country (so typically 10=15 degrees cooler during the day and even more at night) would not do well with the sweltering 'cool down'. Add to that the chance for a break down or back up on a highway well known for weekend congestion (even during these covid times) with a horse that has never hauled just seemed like a 'here's your sign, red neck act' that would be better to push off to a time with better odds for success. So pictures of the new guy, Brandon, will definitely have to wait for another week.....darn!

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:09 pm

Oh, jingles for Ace to behave and eat and poop. Great spa day! Wise decision on your part to wait a week. I guess we'll believe you, but know we'll be posting up a storm beleaguering you for pics of Brandon :lol:

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:12 pm

Wow, so much amazing progress and cool things happening to all! Great job everyone and can't wait to see the new additions.

I've just been plugging along with my homework with Kora interspersed with field play times and barn mate hacks. We're about due for a next steps lesson but I'm punting this weekend to spend some time with hubby. Will try and organize a lesson next weekend maybe.

I had a really encouraging ride with lots of others (and by lots I mean 2 others since Covid barn slots) one day this week where she mostly kept her collective #@$% together and managed to focus the best she's been in a long time. So progress there maybe? I also had our first ride in the indoor arena due to rain since, I dunno March? It was good to see at the trot what is happening with the hind legs. When the contact is good you can see where it wouldn't take much for the hind legs to overpower into the front and then they do. :lol:

In bad/good news I got ditched by my farrier of 14 years. He was tricky to schedule last time and didn't leave a future date which is SUPER unlike him. After much text chasing which is also unlike him I finally gave him ultimatum that if he wasn't going to continue on to just let me know so I can get her done elsewhere. He finally responded to that with the typical "not enough horses in the area to come out for me". So whatever. It's disappointing as we've always had a great relationship prior but so be it.

Good news is I got a recommendation from a friend and connected with new farrier who was able to come out and trim her and the feet look great. Kora has pretty good feet but they were 7 weeks at that point and looking quite ragged. Plus she was super easy to talk to about left front leg that paddles and was very attentive to that. So maybe I won't have to kiss any frogs? After 14 years with a farrier I was least looking forward to that so bonus.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:02 pm

Ugh, the farrier thing... why is it so hard for them to tell you in a timely manner that they want to end the relationship rather than wait until they are supposed to be there so you end up scrambling to get a replacement with a set of feet like a walking horse? My last one ghosted me by not showing up to a pre-set appointment with 4 horses to get done after a 15-year relationship. Unkind to humans and animals! However, my current one is frankly a much better farrier.

Good lesson yesterday, albeit ridiculously hot. We worked on half passes, trot and canter, which worked really rather well. One direction is better than the other, but we are getting there. It's all in the set-up (what isn't, when it comes down to it?) I'm pretty thrilled with the big doofus, and he didn't try any acrobatics yesterday, either.

Day off today. I felt a little weird after riding in yesterday's heat, so I'm not pushing my luck and am hiding out in the AC hydrating like mad. I reckon if I don't feel so great, then Laddie could probably use the break today as well.

Chantal, such a handsome horse!

Dresseur, congrats!

Demi, no shows for me this year, nothing local and I don't feel like traveling.

Rye, looking good!

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:32 pm

Pictures! Well, some lol
IMG_4277.jpg
IMG_4277.jpg (135.38 KiB) Viewed 15153 times

Is that an actual smile in the show ring??
IMG_4274.jpg
IMG_4274.jpg (108.69 KiB) Viewed 15153 times

IMG_4266.PNG
IMG_4266.PNG (225.58 KiB) Viewed 15153 times

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:34 pm

And because I LOVE this coat...
IMG_4178.jpg
IMG_4178.jpg (173.65 KiB) Viewed 15153 times

IMG_4159.jpg
IMG_4159.jpg (165.38 KiB) Viewed 15153 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:27 am

Gorgeous pics, Dresser! Congrats on the great scores.

Chantal, Mikey looks like he's coming along nicely. I have a wandering right arm, some I can commiserate. Actually, I sort of scrunch up my right shoulder and try to fake the connection. Annoying!

No more rides on Tesla this week. Thunderstorms and heat (after dinner is the only suitable time for these first rides). The heat should break ononday, so hopefully we can get back at it. Annabelle out there s morning and had a great ride. The SI, HI and W/C transitions are all there when her energy is up. LY left is still wonky but the crossing is s there.
Keep calm and canter on.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:50 am

Dresseur, you guys look great. My favorite is the smile, wow! And yes, the coat is great.

Thank you StraightForward, he is coming along. We have a long way but the journey is fun. That wandering elbow has been a long time in the making, sigh, among other things. Meh, works in progress I guess. :lol:

And thanks Moutaineer, I'm a little in love with my guy. He's a sweetie pie too, just a love bug. Cracks me up. Such a good work ethic. I can't believe he owns me. :D

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:39 am

20200731_231252_240x279-01.jpeg
kimba, no stirrups
20200731_231252_240x279-01.jpeg (41.12 KiB) Viewed 15115 times
I know it is a few months off but every year I have a little diatribe against no stirrup november. I do appreciate that no stirrup work improves leg fitness and balance but recommended doing it once every couple of week all year. Why? because removing definitely impacts the horses back in a negative way. what is good for the rider is not always good for the horse
Screenshot_20200729-165946_Video Player_240x272-01.jpeg
and Saiph mid flying change
Screenshot_20200729-165946_Video Player_240x272-01.jpeg (34.02 KiB) Viewed 15115 times

demi

Postby demi » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:01 pm

Pictures, Yay!! Thanks Dresseur and Chisamba.

Miro looks fabulous. That canter! You look great too, Dresseur, and the jacket is classy. I think of the picture you posted of you hand walking baby Miro in a stream and am so enjoying how far you’ve both come.

I dont even want to think about how long its been since I’ve ridden without stirrups. It would be good for me to spend at least a few minutes without them once in a while. Thanks for the idea, Chisamba.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:07 pm

What great pictures! helps get the morning off to a fun start, thank you! Ace is back to eating despite the same unrelenting heat; so, I'm breathing a little sigh of relief. I think it will be another 'spa' day today. Really too hot for anything else.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:59 pm

Today we earned the final score, and our bronze bar with a 75.6% :D
He got creative in warm up, so I had to ride his butt of, and we did leave points on the floor, but I’m so happy with the boy!!! On to FEI!!!
D9205231-92D6-4ED9-B422-BEAB23490E71.jpeg
D9205231-92D6-4ED9-B422-BEAB23490E71.jpeg (152.44 KiB) Viewed 15066 times

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:31 am

Nice, Dresseur!

We ventured to a show for the first time since March. I was whining about getting up early, but with four FEI rides, it was a good thing. My younger one I did PSG and I-1 and she was pretty solid in both and got 63 and 64 %. (We always get higher in the second test because we're both more relaxed. The older one I did I-2 and GP. The I-2 she uncharacteristically broke in the ext trot, but did great. 63%. Our one tempis have been a problem because she wants to be late right hind. So I didn't worry about it and focused on quite, up and forward and with one late change still got a 6.5. For the GP she was great, but I got confused, went off course, then did it again, and then again, and thankfully the judge eliminated me. It was all my fault and I don't have a bad score on the record for me losing my brain. I think if I had stayed on course we could have easily gotten over 60%. Cool. I'm going back tomorrow to scribe for him--Mike Osinski. I learn a lot.

And I took the plunge and bought boot crowns so my boots are higher! I'm so glad I did. $130 seems a lot, but it's not, and WAY cheaper than new boots. Here are pictures! They have flashy ones which aren't my style, so I went with the stitched black leather which kind of match my boots and black crystals. I definitely recommend her. She answered all of my questions and I got them within four days. And 100% moneyback guarantee. https://bootcrowns.net/

And I always win a bunch of SWANA awards (Swedish) because I have two horses and am often the only one, or one of a few in the levels, so this year she got the Swedes to send me some other stuff, including a blue and gold browband (their colors) so I put that on them, too. I'm not a big blingy person, so this is big for me.

It only took me an hour to get the file sizes small enough to load, and they are giant pictures!
Attachments
Quinn browband.jpg
Quinn browband.jpg (179.38 KiB) Viewed 15055 times
Quinn boots.jpg
Quinn boots.jpg (142.59 KiB) Viewed 15055 times

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:49 am

Boy, I can't get enough of the pictures. Congrats Dresseur and Tanga! All of you - two-legged and four-legged look great. Must be cooler where you guys are ;)

I ended up working Junior in hand this morning since it was a wee bit cooler than yesterday.....I just came in from cleaning the turnout and checking water and it was still 100 in the barn which is better than yesterday evening at this time (it was 108). I just might get to ride in the morning if the temps dip below 90 over night. Amazing the things that we must wish for LOL.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:48 am

Nice pics Tanga. Love the boot tops. You know me, I'm all for bling! I like Osinski. When Mark lost his mind at RAAC, I had a post-meltdown ride in front of him and got a decent score and won the class. Made me feel better. :D Now we're just hoping to stay sound (enough - both of us!) to eventually do a Century ride. Only 4.5+ years to go! :lol:

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:33 am

Wow...everyone looks so good :mrgreen: .

Kyra and I keep plugging along. I need to get one of those tracking robots so I can video her work and post pictures. For the most part her work feels great. I am going to be looking at the Pivo in the near future after I work a couple of shifts to give me some play money. Although retired, I went back what they call PRN (as needed) a day a week or so but COVID killed that. I worked January-mid March then had 4 months off. It is still going to be hit or miss but as of today, I am on Medicare and I won't be paying $$$$ for COBRA insurance anymore. I can get back to buying horse stuff :lol: . That and the fact that I have ridden for 4 straight months now :mrgreen: . That hasn't happened in about 6 years due to all my infirmities. I hope, nay I KNOW I can keep it up.

She is going so well. The new hay she is on seems to have helped her energy. The other day I let her have a leisurely warm up on a longish rein then asked her to put herself together and maintain it. I got some lovely SI in trot and in canter put her on a big circle and played with forward and back. Other than her getting behind the leg the first time I asked for a bit of collection (both directions), she did it beautifully including a nice canter-walk at the end of the sets. The previous work had been a bit fussy mouthed but I think that was mostly me. I traded the reins out on my bridle and the reins I put on it have stops on them. I am not a fan of stops but they were the only calf-skin reins I could find at the time. Since I wasn't used to them, I was doing a lot of experimenting with length and I don't think that helped the cause. Thursday was much better.

We have been in the 100's here for the last 3 days. Yes, it is a dry heat but I still don't like it and it gives me a headache. Today, I just didn't feel like doing WORK as in trot and canter so we headed to the track and did some laps. I think with the ride over and the actual work we did about 3 miles. I warmed her up for a mile with a stretched forward walk. She maintained it herself and was overtracking a good 4-6 inches 8-) . Then for the next mile (I think each lap is 0.2 miles) we did lateral work alternating directions so she got worked on each rein. I did one lap of LY zig-zags getting about 3 on each quarter of the track. Then we did volte to half-pass, change bend and rinse, repeat the other direction. I did a lap each way of SI alternating with renver. Her changes of bend were pretty seamless and we finished up with volte to HI. So even though we never got out of walk, I think she had a pretty good workout.

Happy riding all. So happy to see everybody having fun and enjoying their critters. Hot4Spots..I only have 8.5 years to wait for the century ride. Make that 9 years because 8.5 puts us dead winter and we don't have any shows then.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:47 pm

Wow Dresseur, you must be over the moon with that score and your bronze bar!

Kyra's Mom wrote:I need to get one of those tracking robots so I can video her work and post pictures.

Have you looked at the Pivo that works with a smartphone? You need to get one so I can try it. :lol: I've been thinking of getting one in a couple months so I can video indoors this winter. They're cheap compared to the Pixio and SoloShot.
Keep calm and canter on.

demi

Postby demi » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:59 pm

Kyra’s mom, I think you’ll really enjoy being able to video your work. There was a learning curve for me, but once I got the hang of it I started using it all the time. The Pivo sounds easier to use. I read that the best way to use Pivo was to place it in the center of the arena. I’m still really happy with my soloshot3 25 optic. The soloshot has functioned with only a couple of problems, but if (when) it stops working I will check into the Pivo.

Oh, and it took some getting used to seeing myself. I had to get over that!

blob

Postby blob » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:01 pm

Congrats to Dressuer and Tanga! Great pictures and great results. Tanga, I don't know how you do 4 FEI tests, I'm exhausted just THINKING about it.

Chisamba & Chantal, great to see your pictures and progress as well!

Everyone is looking good and seems to be making good use of this summer of seclusion. I can't believe we're already done with July.

demi

Postby demi » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:05 pm

Congratulations Tanga!! Nice pictures, and your boots look nice! Quinn has such lovely long legs. My mare would look like a chihuahua next to her :lol:

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:06 pm

I'm behind on commenting on everyone's posts but I LOVE all the photos!! Everyone is looking fantastic.
Congrats Dresseur for getting your scores for your bronze. I love how that's what you wanted to do so you've just gone and done it! Big achievement especially with a young horse that had that time of uncertainty with his lameness.
Chisamba, you are looking fit too. I might have to ask you for some food ideas, I'm currently the biggest I have ever been and I don't know if it's an age thing but it doesn't come off as easily as it used to do.

I've been working on Ding's changes to get them straighter so I can have more even changes. I had to be more active in getting them straight, like bigger corrections between them and waiting for it to feel right before asking the next change. Sometimes I ride too vague hoping that it will correct itself, but I 'm not skilled enough to be that tactful - poor horses!
He was going great yesterday so I just asked for some ones and he did them! Not as pretty as I would like, but maybe in another 12 months or so they could be.
https://youtu.be/ikMcU7gooEM

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:01 am

Blob--Doing four FEI tests is getting a bit much for me, but as long as I can stay on the horses and go right from one test to the other, it's OK. It also helps if I ride Quinn first because even at her best it's like sitting on a rowing machine. Quilla is much easier to ride, even in the GP. I just need to remember the tests! I got mixed up with when the extended canter comes in! I'm glad I did them in the morning, though, because it was much cooler. The other two people who rode the GP did it again today, when I scribed, and I wish I could have remembered the test! We would easily have beat them, I think, and gotten 62/63 I'm pretty sure.

demi--Quinn's legs don't normally look that long. It's a weird picture. She's',ahem, looking a little porky these days and looks more like a sausage with small legs!

Hot4spots Well, you aren't the only one losing their mind. There were horses doing some of that yesterday and today. It was interesting scribing for him, which I haven't done before.

For entertainment, I actually had someone video who did a good job. It's interesting looking at my tests and the comments and comparing it what I wrote and saw all day. We have to remember how tedious judging can be and we all get into habits of using the same comments for everything, so not to take it too personally or misunderstand. No matter what, it's all about more impulsion and connection
Quilla I-2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn37fFNjZ8w GP before I kept getting lost https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2S9FdXT-WQ I actually got a 7 for the extended trot! It's interesting he stopped me at the end of the canter half passes. We were doing it, but I'm glad, as two errors would have dropped the score very low.
Quinn PSG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KqlBvV8TvA Interesting he marked me down for doing steeper half passes.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:01 am

It won't allow me to put in three URL's, so here's Quinn's I-1 I-1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtWC_ihr3jM

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:31 am

Flight, I'd be pretty damn happy with that attempt at the 1's. Tanga, thank you for sharing your vids! I hear you about the comments and what you hear/learn with scribing.

https://youtu.be/7alE4_hlOpM
I wanted to share M's 3rd level MFS. It's not perfect and we left some percentage points on the table, but overall, I hit the choreo and music (minus an errant circle that caused a little bit of a ugly moment). It's funny, because I felt like there were so many bobbles that you can barely see. I will say overall, I want to get his neck more open in the show ring. I feel as though he's a bit low/closed and he's not in regular schooling, so between his tension and mine, I'm not happy with the shape. I also think i'm trying for too much of a fine point on the transitions, which are making them a bit abrupt. But, the way he sits down in the md trot to walk.. that's going to be a highlight for him in the I1.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:05 am

Dresseur That's my thing, too! I've started my last three freestyles at the walk because the music worked that way, it gets it out of the way, and I think they're better there. During the freestyle symposium here with Janet Foy and Terry Ciotto Gallo, they were saying, that's blah--start out with a bang, so I was thinking of changing it. I like the canter half pass, circle, half pass movement.

Some feedback, just a thought. I sort of consider myself a freestyle expert. I don't think the canter music helps him, especially the first one. Neither pieces of music I think show his gaits. I think the trot music is cute and fits him and the attitude.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:10 am

Tanga, you’re not wrong about the music not quite suiting. :lol: :lol: This is actually Andrea’s I1 freestyle music for Maya that she let me borrow to get the scores out of the way. https://youtu.be/o5ukYW0INBo
This freestyle has always scored very high for her in terms of the artistic marks, and there was no time to come up with something specific for M. His freestyle will be developed over the fall/winter and I think we’re planning on using the Angry Birds score in it :lol:

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:01 pm

Last week was our county fair so I've been 4-Hing since July 23 and have missed all your wonderful posts. I also haven't ridden since I think Saturday a week ago. The heat has been truly horrible out here in Idaho so it's just as well I guess. Hanging out at the fair all day every day, cooking burgers two nights in a row for Food Booth (fund raiser for 4-H), getting an average of 5 hours sleep every night, then cleaning the fairgrounds Sunday morning...I am officially tired. :lol:

It is so much fun to see all the great pictures and videos you guys have posted.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:03 pm

thanks for sharing the videos everyone! Congrats Tanga, Dresseur on great shows. I like to see the tests and feedback- helps me learn!
I've been hosting my own barn shows since most of the shows are cancelled in my area, so it's a fun way to build community and also get some tests ridden. (We are able to do this safely and the shows are just for barn boarders!) It has encouraged people to ride tests who would not ordinarily do a show so a win all around!
I really like the new C shape crown that I got for Riot- it keeps the headpiece back off his poll just a touch but still looks traditional. Very very nice leather for the price of $55. FSS FREEWAY MONOCROWN CUTBACK ANATOMIC SHAPE (via Ebay). I can use a fly veil with it. I paired it with my KB albion noseband. I was loosing some of my lateral flexion using a new crank that was just too "heavy" for him, so I had to listen to what he preferred. You will notice a lack of noseband in the above photo- I had taken it off completely till I was able to see what he liked. This is interesting as he never really needed a specific bridle but I think everything gets more neuanced when you move out of the lower levels, or else I'm paying better attention....? at any rate, all good for us.
As I said in the other thread, the other addition was shoes this summer. Also a positive boost.
For me the training is pretty much "good quality" so these "external" things are really what push us off track in a way that slows progress.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:26 pm

Love the pics, keep 'em coming! We are so lucky to be able to get out and show anywhere at this point.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:19 pm

Wow all the pics are great! Excellent show reports Tanga and Dresseur! And yes that coat is beautiful on stunning Miro:)

This past week it was a bit cooler but still did not get much done except with Rip. Thrown shoe, weird swelling right hock on Joplin, something NQR with Gaila and she had a huge bug bite where her girth goes. Sigh the biting bugs leaving welts have been an issue this year. Blob do you find the fly sheet to be too hot in this muggy GA weather?

So today was vet day here at my farm, I ended up paying the trip fee for the vet I use 2 hours from me because I had so much work needing doing. Rip's scope was a bit weird, showing some strange lesions on his ethmoids, one almost looked necrotic. No idea what that is, no issues I've noticed no blood no discharge. So back to get scoped again in 2 months unless something shows up before then.
Joplin had her hock and a sarcoid on her ear looked at. She has some unusual hock conformation radiographically upper joint not OCD, vet thinks it is causing a bit of synovitis but does not interfere with any ligaments and should (knock on wood) not cause any problems but put her on legend and adequan. Have to haul her up next week to get the sarcoid taken care of, apparently they now will use the removed sarcoid to make a vaccine for your horse so no more sarcoids. Have to take her to the clinic to do this. Otherwise she is good to go back to work.'

Gaila showed some positive flexion on both hind fetlocks, injected and started on adequan. Gallie we just took blood to check to make sure her prascend dosage is sufficient, has been on it 5 years now and she is 25 now. Having horrible skin issues this year, rain rot, long summer coat (she did shed out winter hair but summer coat was still long and fuzzy) itching badly, just a mess. Going to try apoquel which is used in dogs see how it does.

As for working Rip been very happy with his piaffe in hand lately. Want to get some video of him and I will share. I have a tripod now to use but did not splurge on the pivo so whoever ends up with one first report back! Of course after today's vet trip ugh may be awhile! Another thing I've been working on is trot canter trot transitions with him. So his WC transitions are good, his CW transitions are not bad but he wants to fall onto his shoulders going from C to T so I started to play with short bouncy trot to canter back to short bouncy trot, back and forth. Pretty fun going back and forth, helps keep the engagement and not allow him to go splat.

Hope all stay cool and safe and happy riding!

blob

Postby blob » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:52 am

khall wrote: Blob do you find the fly sheet to be too hot in this muggy GA weather?

I was really worried it would be! And past fly sheets I've tried have been both ineffective and hot. But this one has both really been a miracle for us and doesn't seem to make her too hot. She does get a bit sweaty under it, but nothing terrible (she would get sweaty even without the sheet) and she never feels warm to the touch underneath. So, sweaty at times, yes. Overheated, never.

The only negative has been that it does need to be laundered somewhat regularly, particularly if she's out in rain with it. If it stays wet for awhile, it starts to smell. But it washes normally and then dries really fast out in the sun. I can get to the barn, pull it off and throw it in the wash and before I'm done riding my two it'll be washed and dry.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:35 am

StraightForward wrote:
Kyra's Mom wrote:I need to get one of those tracking robots so I can video her work and post pictures.

Have you looked at the Pivo that works with a smartphone? You need to get one so I can try it. :lol: I've been thinking of getting one in a couple months so I can video indoors this winter. They're cheap compared to the Pixio and SoloShot.

Yes, I will be looking into that. I need to get a new phone first I think. Ancient iPhone 6 that if I use it much at all, has to be charged 2-3x/day.

Had another really nice ride today. I built my "collect-ability box" (I put 4 cones out making a square about 12 x 12 feet) and worked on transitions within the box...taking advantage of a little anticipation.
Did trot to halt in the box...oh wait, changed my mind, please trot on. Did the same in canter and today she was in front of the leg and stayed there :mrgreen: . Finally did some halt in the box, rein back 3 steps and canter on. Upward transitions were spot on with no walk steps at all. Her walk to canter and halt to canter transitions are becoming much more fluid and more from just my seat. Despite my long period of minimal or no riding, I feel my muscle memory is good and most of my issues are fitness issues which I am (and will be forever) working on. I even did a bit more sitting trot. My butt is a bit annoyed tonight but not bad. I finished with a couple nice stretchy circles each way to allow her to stretch over the back after the sitting trot. They were quite nice. Not super deep but nose about bottom of chest and filling out the rein quite nicely.

I think our heat finally broke. I didn't have a nagging headache all day like I have had for the last 4 days. Yeah.

Happy riding all.
Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:25 am

I feel like Annabelle might be going wide behind. Thoughts? :lol:

Poor thing, I think she was a little tired and sore from our ride at another arena on Friday, then I set up cones to practice 20m circles and get baseline video for the Ritter's straightness course on Sunday. Today she got a nice relaxing horse yoga ride without any canter, and them stood on her SureFoot pads for a bit.

Was planning to do Ride #2 on Tesla tonight, but she decided to have a conniption in the double lunging and we had it out with that instead. She is a DeNiro granddaughter, and one my instructor's friends has a 4 yo DeNiro daughter, and they are 100% identical in the temperament department. The other mare was started last year, so I'm taking notes on how they navigated this part of the training. Hoping to get on tomorrow and go for a trot.
Keep calm and canter on.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:45 pm

StraightForward wrote:I feel like Annabelle might be going wide behind. Thoughts? :lol:

Poor thing, I think she was a little tired and sore from our ride at another arena on Friday, then I set up cones to practice 20m circles and get baseline video for the Ritter's straightness course on Sunday. Today she got a nice relaxing horse yoga ride without any canter, and them stood on her SureFoot pads for a bit.

Was planning to do Ride #2 on Tesla tonight, but she decided to have a conniption in the double lunging and we had it out with that instead. She is a DeNiro granddaughter, and one my instructor's friends has a 4 yo DeNiro daughter, and they are 100% identical in the temperament department. The other mare was started last year, so I'm taking notes on how they navigated this part of the training. Hoping to get on tomorrow and go for a trot.

Great pic!! And I'm no professional so not really qualified to comment on this pic... but maybe? :lol:

Nice to hear another was sore from working in another arena, I mean, not that she was sore but it's affirmation for me. Mikey was so sore after our schooling show. He still has a knot over his right hip. The 20m canter circles are certainly new and the fun movements away from the letters certainly didn't help, plus trailering. I'm working on him before and after ride but I can't get it out. He's moving fine but looking forward to his next chiro/acupuncture appt. Sigh, he's treated better than me. :mrgreen:

Cool that you have another horse to observe temperament-wise in your journey. I have gotten to observe Mikey's half-siblings for years so that's a bonus for us, and the info about his stallion and offspring helps too.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:14 pm

chantal wrote:Cool that you have another horse to observe temperament-wise in your journey. I have gotten to observe Mikey's half-siblings for years so that's a bonus for us, and the info about his stallion and offspring helps too.

This was key for me and clinched the pin on my decision to start breeding in earnest. Knowing the stallions (even having worked with some), backing and starting the mares and then their offspring and then moving on to subsequent generations of stallions, mares, etc made the whole training process so much less stressful. I knew what to expect of each one with few if any surprises. Doesn't mean it was all rainbows and puppy dog tails but the lines connecting the dots were a lot shorter and had maps in how to get there. I am so hoping my new guy turns out to be 'as predictable'. The breeder is like minded and she has generations on her property. Horses were also kid-tested and mother approved (brought back memories) to the point that I was able to see dam, siblings, half-siblings etc. As best as I can tell for now, I think that this guy will handle much like Junior when it comes to backing/starting - and I have mom and siblings (sire is out-of-state but with a long, well known track record) to compare to and use as a predictor.

I can't say our heat/temps have improved a lot but the weather is a little better. I was able to get two days of riding before having to return to work today. Hope to get to ride tomorrow and maybe, just maybe get a lesson this week. This time of year all we really can do is maintain in terms of training; so the past two days we just were demanding in our promptness to the aids and perfecting our transitions especially the simple changes. Working in hand to quicken the hind end I also hope will pay off eventually as well. My goal once the weather improves (at least cools off at night) is to pick up where we left off on the flying changes. Over the years I've learned that trying to teach anything new during this type of weather is really unfair and an act of futility. Unless we are talking about backing/starting......then this weather has worked to my benefit and the horse's - lots of walking, stopping, mounting and too hot for more volatile aspirations ;) Impressive picture of Annabelle BTW ;)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:55 pm

no riding today, Isaias is upon us and Tornado watch as well. its so wierd to be sitting around doing nothing but listen to the wind and rain. Horses munching hay is a happy sound

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:09 am

Ride #2 for Tesla went well tonight. The BO's dogs spooked her a bit when they came around the side of the house, but she took one step sideways and didn't seem at all phased by my weight up there, and continued on. We got a couple trot steps and decided to call it good for the night. That was a big hurdle for me since the first trot step was when Rosette launched me, so I think next ride I'll be more confident about doing a "real" trot.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:40 pm

So glad we were finally able to take a lesson today. It's been 2 months since our last one and though it was terribly hot again (thank goodness for covered arenas with fans and a breeze) we were really able to assess just how far we have come. I was worried that we may have slid back due to the weather, my travel and just the fact that I haven't had an eye on the ground in a while. Fortunately it appears that we just become more confirmed in our self carriage and lifting through the wither both in and out of gaits and changes within the gait. My instructor/coach kept stating that it's an essence of keeping Junior responsive but between the hand and the leg so that at any moment I could power him up with my legs OR at any moment I could half halt through my ring fingers and get him to lift through the withers........and the devilish willful pony who has become my most adept Houdini [yet] really answered with a big yes. We were told that our collected trot and canter looked so much more mature and the foundation for the passage as well as the canter pirouettes could really be seen......don't worry we're not going 'there' quite yet, at least not the canter pirouettes but it's nice and fun to develop that type of elasticity and strength. It was also easy and rewarding to really be able to feel when he was coming up out of his shoulder/neck connection over the top and finishing into the bridle. I could feel his whole shoulder sling lift and get taller - no stretchy band needed (LOL, been looking at too much Facebook). Looking forward to next week's lesson especially since there appears to be no end in sight as far as this heat and it's the only opportunity I have to escape the sun while we ride. Try to keep cool everyone.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:56 pm

I really enjoyed the recent videos. I watched Quilla and Quinn’s tests and read the test along with watching. Really nice, Tanga. I like your riding and it will be nice to watch as your horses progress. It looked like you gave Quinn a pat right after the first salute in the I1. I thought maybe you were giving her a little reassurance. I liked that.I’m obviously not an expert but I know what I like, and like watching both your mares!

Dresseur, I also enjoyed your MFS. I had seen your post about the music being for Maya before I watched your test, so the first time I watched it without music, and the second time I added the music. Can’t wait to see the freestyle you are making just for him! And thank you for posting the link to Andrea’s I1 MFS. Wow. I just loved it. I watched it a few times and will save it to watch again.

Flight, Yay! Dings got ones!! Thanks for the video (all 6 seconds of it!)

demi

Postby demi » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:03 pm

Still hot here. I’m getting in 3 very light rides a week. Haven’t had an in person lesson for 6 weeks and it’s been a month since I got comments from my trainer on the video I sent her. I’ve gotten video of my light rides, and I don’t think I’m backsliding too much. I’m raring to go when the weather cools down. I’m watching a lot of good videos and thinking through a lot of riding. Practicing First Level one in my head. The weather should be suitable for lessons again by the first of September.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:08 pm

Thanks for sharing videos of tests Tanga and Dresseur. It's so good to watch. I'm so un-musical I didn't notice the music not matching Miro! I have no interest in making a freestyle because I'm so hopeless.

LOL at Annabelle's pic, Straightforward. I didn't see that hindleg at first and I'm thinking.. hmmm not sure. Then I saw it :lol:

I've been really trying to figure out why I can't do sitting trot on Norsey. He is so bloody bouncy. He doesn't look to have big movement or anything, the saddle is really quite wide so it's a bit like sitting on a barrel, so when I start bouncing, its like being hit on the bum with a frypan! (Not that that has happened to me :D ). I read an article saying you have to match the descent, so be quicker in coming back down, which has helped but the workout it gave me was intense. I did a bit or work without stirrups, and let my legs hang which made me sit more on my crotch, so I'm thinking I roll my pelvis under too far and that's how I get slid up the cantle.
Of course the other aspect is making the horses back able to take sitting trot. I can do it easily in lateral movements, the bounce goes. But a medium/extended trot.. holy moly, the amount of light under my backside is astonishing!

Because the weather has been so hot for you all, here's a pic of Norsey in the frost this morning:
ponieswintermornings.jpg
ponieswintermornings.jpg (90.98 KiB) Viewed 14660 times

Return to “Dressage Training”