Pivo self video--anyone?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Tanga
500 post plus club

Pivo self video--anyone?

Postby Tanga » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:58 pm

I just saw this on COTH and was really excited so went to the website and looked at some videos. This device allows you to video yourself when you're riding and is only about $130! It seems perfect for us poorer people with no eyes. Anyone use it? I am trying to hold back an research a few das before I but it I'm so excited.

https://www.getpivo.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD3L4S8S7S8

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Pivo self video--anyone?

Postby blob » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:46 am

a friend bought it and posted the videos on facebook. She said she was disappointed by its ability to track and it seemed to lose her horse frequently. She was not doing anything speedy. I know they are different settings, so maybe that was part of the problem. But several others chimed in and said they too had been disappointed. I think it's a GREAT idea and I think version 2.0 will likely be greatly improved. but it sounds like this version might be rather buggy.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:18 am

Based on the info on their website, and in the forums, I don't think it will be useful ... unless you position it on a post in the middle of a circle, and turn to face it at all times. And even then, it sounds like there will be glitchy lag time.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:10 am

I too was rather excited when I first started hearing about it. I don't have the most advanced Android and it seemed that a lot of the good reviews were coming from those with the more recent Iphones. I'm waiting it out a bit to see if the glitches are worked out. Also I got an advertisement yesterday for what sounds/looks like a competitor product. Not sure but I'm going to follow this thread, the one on COTH and do some more research before I make the plunge. I'm also due for an upgrade on my phone so that is also a consideration of mine.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:42 am

One of the women in the barn I am teaching at has it. I don't think it is the best at following the horse.
She does position it in the middle of the ring on a tripod. But it still loses track of the horse sometimes.
My student has ordered it as well so we will see.
Pixio looks like a better product. Of course, it is $850 but my guess is you get what you pay for.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:15 pm

I bought one a few months ago, I got the Silver version.

I haven't used it but have played with it a bit and it works!

I referred a friend to buy one and she loves it!

I bought one since it can be used indoors !

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:18 pm

With Pixo you need a camera and to be outdoors.

They have made significant upgrades to the app and have a Facebook page with tons of videos and advise on how to set it up.
Majority of users seem to like it.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:21 pm

Pixio works indoors, but there are beacons that you need to set up around the arena.

SoloShot does not work indoors because it operates off of GPS.

I found my little old camcorder and took it out to the barn. I'll use that for indoors (easier to aim than a phone) unless the Pivo starts looking like a solidly good option. One poster on CotH said it lost her dark horse in a dark indoor arena. With my chestnuts and the bare wood arena walls, I can see that being a problem with lack of contrast.
Keep calm and canter on.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:53 pm

Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:27 am

Hayeburner, you need to try it! The Silver version is still only about $150. Ask your friend for more feedback!

Thanks, straightforward, looks like I have the minimum iphone needed, but that's all good for me. Thanks for the link. Very helpful.

This is starting to look great for me. Just having any video of myself to get feedback would be fine, and this seems like it would do the trick.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:19 pm

Tanga. I need a few days where it is high 80-90 degrees! The Indoor can get pretty hot if there is t a breeze, LOL

I also need someone to help me set it up while I get on and to use their tripod.

But, I am excited to use it.

As for dark horse, etc the horse image can be I,proved by using white polos and or a white saddle pad. Rider should also be in a bright shirt

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:56 am

I bit the bullet and ordered one. Maybe seeing how much I pull back and hang on my horse's face will get me to stop that. I hate looking at myself in the mirror or watching videos of myself but it's time to suck it up for my poor horse's sake.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:52 pm

goldhorse wrote:I bit the bullet and ordered one. Maybe seeing how much I pull back and hang on my horse's face will get me to stop that. I hate looking at myself in the mirror or watching videos of myself but it's time to suck it up for my poor horse's sake.

Oh goody. I can get more feedback.

I know what you mean. When I see myself, I'm like, "WHAT are you doing??" Recently I got someone to video at the show, which really helped me see some things I wasn't realizing that I can easily fix. I can do super tight, collected pirouettes on both horses, but when I do that, even though it's more correct, I get lower scores. When I do easier, bigger pirouettes, I get higher scores! And I figured out the more forward passage where she is more unsteady does not look good. It looks so much better when I keep it shorter, and it's easier!

I've gotten some video clips from people at the barn lately, too, and it really helps. It's so amazing what a little feedback can do!

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:47 am

Straightforward, Thanks for the link!

I was trying mine out and had some issues which she addressed.

I read thru it quickly so not sure if she mentioned phi e must be in airplane mode or not. That was one of the mistakes I made. You can use that or do not disturb depending on your phone.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:26 am

OMG! I got my Pivo yesterday and tried it today! You have to get it. It's AMAZING! I ordered the one with the extra holder, which is good because my phone is in a otter box, and am SO glad I got the tripod. It is SUPER high quality and goes very high and is sturdy. It was $209 with shipping. Super deal. It took less than a week.

I set it up outside the arena fence at Xish and it goes over the fence. Reading the facebook pony link helped me get started, and I did about 8 test shots riding the two horses, and it was pretty easy to do. There were other horses in the arena, and if they crossed in front of it, it switched to them, but came back to me if I got in front again. This is an example of how it follows and zooms. Cool! (This Is Quilla who was in a tizzy for some unknown reason [maybe because it's been hot and the air deadly from smoke, and it cooled down a lot and was breathable, I don't know] so she is looking very hyped, but I was able to see how nice she can piaffe/passage when she chills a bit.) https://youtu.be/qd90_vV7r5c

It has a little remote you can carry in your pocket to record and not that I did a few times, and this time I was starting it from the phone. And if you're all admiring my shirt, I decided to get rid of all of the old school t-shirts I had and make sleeveless shirt and was practicing tie dying and using paint to make new ones. :) The mask I keep around my neck riding (purple) in case I need one is one of the cut off sleeves.

I would so recommend anyone get it if you're like me and need to see yourself riding to fix things!

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:28 am

That's pretty good Tanga, how far from it can you go so it will keep following you?

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:48 pm

looks like it worked very well for you

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:09 pm

Glad it is working for you, Tanga! Is there anything unique about the tripod, or is it just a standard screw mount?
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:57 pm

Flight wrote:That's pretty good Tanga, how far from it can you go so it will keep following you?

That arena is pretty big and it seemed to follow me around pretty well as long as no one else got it's attention. I did notice in one of the videos I went behind the jumps and it stopped and followed the cars up on the road, so it's not perfect. It seems less about distance and more about what's moving.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:00 pm

Tanga wrote:
Flight wrote:That's pretty good Tanga, how far from it can you go so it will keep following you?

That arena is pretty big and it seemed to follow me around pretty well as long as no one else got it's attention. I did notice in one of the videos I went behind the jumps and it stopped and followed the cars up on the road, so it's not perfect. It seems less about distance and more about what's moving.

straightforward I don't know if the top of the tripod is standard or not. It has a little screw base that nicely mounts either of the phone grips. The top part has three clips that let it extend on the top, and the bottom has more clips which let it fold back on itself. So the top is about 5 feet, but it folds into a small maybe 18" package.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:48 pm

Fits on any standard tripod. I too got the extra holder to go with my heavy duty Otterbox. I think I need to park my trailer elsewhere, however, cuz it keeps locking on to it instead of horse. Both, btw, are brown.

Shirrine
Herd Member

Postby Shirrine » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:49 am

I love my pivo. I think you need the right phone for it to work well. Oh and fiddle til you swear then it works. :D

https://youtu.be/RN6vbgqzofM

Shirrine
Horses are meant to enjoy, so enjoy

demi

Postby demi » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:27 pm

So nice to see you Shirrine!, and Lewyn looks great.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:15 pm

My husband ordered this for me for a early Christmas present, which I guess might be more of an anniversary present. I haven't received it yet and I do need a new phone for it (but I've wanted one anyways. I HATE what we have now.)

Very excited to try it out. Everyone's videos look pretty good. Especially for the price point.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:32 pm

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:My husband ordered this for me for a early Christmas present, which I guess might be more of an anniversary present. I haven't received it yet and I do need a new phone for it (but I've wanted one anyways. I HATE what we have now.)

Very excited to try it out. Everyone's videos look pretty good. Especially for the price point.

So glad you're getting it! It's such a good deal. I'm back to using mine now see the air is breathable, and it's so nice.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:24 am

Curious if any of you have a light colored horse. My student has a palomino Morgan...and the footing in the indoor arena is GGT (so fairly light colored). We have been fairly unsuccessful in getting Pivo to follow her in the indoor.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:24 pm

Chancellor wrote:Curious if any of you have a light colored horse. My student has a palomino Morgan...and the footing in the indoor arena is GGT (so fairly light colored). We have been fairly unsuccessful in getting Pivo to follow her in the indoor.

Oh that is interesting! I suspect RP would have the same issue. Though, you'd think the rider + saddle would create enough of a distinction that it would at least follow tht!

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:19 pm

NOPE! I tried having her use a black saddle cloth to make more of a contrast. Didn't help. It's annoying since outside it works pretty well...not perfectly...but better than nothing!
Working outside, though, is not going to be an option much longer for us here in the northeast. And since this is 2020, it's probably going to snow in October!

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:23 pm

I have a palomino Morgan too! It's working well outdoors on dark grey, light grey, and tan footings. I can't speak to indoors since we don't have one. My saddle pads are dark purple, orange, or beige and that hasn't made a difference.I need to try it now that he's body clipped and looks like a Cremello. So long as I place it in the judge's stand so that I'm always at least 5-10 meters away, I've had success. If I pass right next to it, it loses me and then looks for another horse. iphone 11pro

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:33 pm

tanga is our resident rock star in her tie dye sleeveless- so fun to see everyone's home arenas..... Looking good!
It snowed today so I'm super jealous.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:52 pm

I have the opposite issue. My horses are all dark, and if a light horse is in the arena, it leaves me and follows them whether it's full sun or shade! It also likes movement and sound, so if it sees a car on the road, it leaves me, and sometimes it turns around like it heard something behind it. Sometimes it just doesn't want to follow and I found closing down the app and starting again is what works.

Here's a video from the other day. Not the best riding because I was spending a lot of my time looking to see if it was following me. I usually don't even try to video when there are other people in there. You can see it really want to follow the grey and the buckskin. If there is any movement, I spend a lot of time going back to get its attention. But, I use it a lot and it helps me a lot. https://youtu.be/2qpvBdbNl4o

I would think it would love the palomino.

Thanks, Ryeissa. I am in a racerbank tank because it is HOT here. Over 100 and the sun is setting at 6:30! Luckily it's supposed to cool back down. You can check out my fancy smancy breeches that are actually more patches than the original breeches. I can't stand throwing them away, si I patch until they are unpatchable.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:46 am

Thanks for sharing Tanga. A barnmate and I are splitting the cost of a Pivo so I ordered it during Prime Day. It's sitting on my dining room table; hopefully Sunday we can meet up and see how it works. She has a bay and a palomino, then my two chestnuts, who I'm concerned might not have enough contrast against the plain wood walls of the indoor.
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:20 am

OMG. New Pivo news. It was 100 again today, so I rode later in the shadows. Pivo did NOT like that. It kept turning around randomly and looking at the barn or road. Then, as it was dark, I turned on the outdoor arena lights. That did not work at all. Maybe it's because both horses are dark, but I wasn't getting anywhere, even disconnecting and starting again.

Straightforward--You will really like it. The how to videos are pretty straight forward and easy. Let me know how it goes in the indoor. Ours is so small and crowded I never ride in there unless it's empty in the most extreme weather.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:21 pm

Hi all! I just started playing with the PIVO Silver yesterday (big fail, many misunderstanding issues...).... today was a bit better, but it loses me in the arena. Bay horse, teal saddle pad, I have a white long sleeved white shirt and black breeches. It's placed at X, and loses me on the short sides. Not sure if I was using the "horse beta" selection - I'll try again tomorrow and see. The lower sun this time of year might also have something to do with it. I hope it works out. Its a great idea. The hardest part for me is getting it to find Bravo in the first place, since I'm alone and he doesnt want to ground tie at any distance from me, coupled with the difficulty I have seeing my screen in the bright sun (Anyone know how to fix that on an iphone??) I'll continu to report as I use it.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:14 am

lorilu I know exactly the problem you're having. When the arena is shady, it likes to lose me. If it hears noise in another direction, it leaves me.

I put it on the side of the arena so it doesn't have to turn all of the way around. I connect it and get it on the horse from horseback. It seems to work most of the time. It will show the square finding the horse even if we're right there.

Sometimes it does just get mixed up and nothing seems to fix it, so turning it all off and on again works sometimes.

https://youtu.be/PyI-WCCd1ek Here's one from the other day doing p/p in hand. You can see in the middle of it clearly watching me, it decided to look at the cows even though they weren't making any noise.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:12 am

ANyone know if you can turn off the sound? The wind was really up today and it was REALLY noisy on the video....

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:06 pm

lorilu wrote:ANyone know if you can turn off the sound? The wind was really up today and it was REALLY noisy on the video....

Yes, you can. When you connect it up it asks about that. I keep forgetting to do it, and it would help to stop it from getting distracted by mooing and tractors.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:25 pm

I just bought a pivo silver and the package to go with it. Waiting for it to arrive. Then I will have to dive in a d see if I can get it to work. Not the most tech savvy. Have and iPhone 8. Hope that it will work with it ok

demi

Postby demi » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:50 pm

YAY!!

I dont have a pivo but when I looked at them it said it works with iPhone 7 and newer. I have a soloshot 3 and I’m not tech savvy either, but biggest help for me was to read all the directions thoroughly before I even took it out of the box. I think pivo may be more user friendly which will help.

It took me some time to get a routine for videoing myself but now that it’s routine, i do it several times a week. I think you’re going to like it!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:15 pm

Yeah, my Pivo can be annoying sometimes. last time I used it, it would get bored and focus on the other horse standing tied up some 75 feet away for a minute and then zip around looking for me and the horse I was actually riding! I do love the newest update, makes the phone autozoom. Seriously, for the cost of the set up, it really is a great value.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:09 am

I should not have any issues. Arena is away from the horses and lower than the pastures and I’m usually the only one riding.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:06 am

I'll be interested to hear about your experience with the iPhone 8. My barn friend I'm sharing the Pivo with has an iPhone 7 and says it is not working for her, but she is the opposite of techy, and I haven't tried to help her with it, and am not an iThing user myself, outside of the iPad I have for work apps.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:26 am

I've asked for one for Christmas. Pretty sure I'm not getting one — per DH "I ordered your gift. It won't be here for several months." [God knows what he ordered, but it's probably 200% perfect :D ]

If I don't get one, I'll be ordering a Pivo in January. All your reviews make it sound perfect for my use case — including jumping. I have a 12 Pro Max.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:09 pm

I just got my Christmas present a little early and it's a new phone; so, I'll be taking the Pivo plunge just after the holidays. I would like to do it sooner but I don't think I'll have much of a chance to really use it much before then. Plus I probably should do through the thread OTOB and the facebook page on the topic so that I'm properly prepared ;)

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:19 pm

Exvet, I'm getting a new phone for Christmas too. What did you get? I'm usually not up to date with phones and such. But I need one to use my Pivo!

blob

Postby blob » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:51 pm

I have to say that my one worry about getting a PIVO at this stage is whether my phone will make it worthwhile. My phone has really good quality video (it's a pixel). But it's an older model now and I'm wondering if my hardware wont' support the software.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:06 pm

Blob, this was my first trial with the pixel 3. Don't mind my riding, I don't know what I was doing. https://youtu.be/jKDB06kODiQ

ETA: another barnmate has an iPhone 11 and says her Pivo Silver works flawlessly with it.
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:03 pm

StraightForward wrote:Blob, this was my first trial with the pixel 3. Don't mind my riding, I don't know what I was doing. https://youtu.be/jKDB06kODiQ

ETA: another barnmate has an iPhone 11 and says her Pivo Silver works flawlessly with it.

Thanks, SF, super helpful to see. I have the 3a, so fairly similar. Looks like it captured fairly well except for a few moments where it lost you. But I suspect that's more on the pivo than the pixel.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:04 pm

I got an email that pivo is running behind. Not sure when it will ship

Just got another email that my pivo has shipped!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:22 am

blob wrote:
StraightForward wrote:Blob, this was my first trial with the pixel 3. Don't mind my riding, I don't know what I was doing. https://youtu.be/jKDB06kODiQ

Thanks, SF, super helpful to see. I have the 3a, so fairly similar. Looks like it captured fairly well except for a few moments where it lost you. But I suspect that's more on the pivo than the pixel.

The nice thing is that it's easy to see when it's lost you, and you can just ride by and it will catch up, unlike SoloShot, where if it's not following, it usually requires getting off and screwing around with it for 5-10 minutes in the hopes that it will decide to start tracking again.
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “Dressage Training”