But it’s raining

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

But it’s raining

Postby PaulaO » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:30 pm

We are firmly transitioning into autumn. I looked the forecast before I went to the barn and had Ariel’s sheet at the ready. The forecast said showers in the morning. We finished our lesson around 10:30. It was windy and dry but I put on her sheet because it was chilly and Miss A. doesn’t have much of a winter coat. Five minutes later it’s pouring. A kinda PITA boarder (Who complains a lot, but oddly, I like her) says, kinda snotty, “why are the horses out? It’s raining.” My reply “it wasn’t raining when the went out this morning.”

She brought in her 6 horses (yes, 6) and as she finished, the sun came out......

exvet

Re: But it’s raining

Postby exvet » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:04 pm

Oh, please, please, please send the rain our way. I would welcome such a problem!

blob

Postby blob » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:46 pm

exvet wrote:Oh, please, please, please send the rain our way. I would welcome such a problem!

We've had so much rain down here that my garage flooded last weekend and I so wish we could send some of it to the westcoast where you all need it!

I'm really glad I'm at a barn that turns horses out rain or shine. I hate them being cooped in just because of a little rain (or, even a lot of rain, i guess :lol: ). They do stay in if we're excepting really bad storms, but honestly that only happens a couple times a year.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:26 am

I promise that I am not a PITA boarder. But I am gladdened by my barn's decisions. Miserable, heavy rain and 50 F? Some time out but they come in early. Miserable, heavy rain and 38? Very little time out and they come in early. Spritzy rain all day and 45-55? They are as normal most of the day. Delicate ones may wear a sheet.

In E TN, our global climate change is called HOTTER and WETTER. For wetter for the sensitive ones, it's called quality rain gear!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:33 am

Miss A. went back out after our lesson. Nobody else ran out to bring their horses in when it started raining. The guys can’t be expected to stop what they are doing to bring horses in if it starts raining or snowing. My barn is like yours blob. Horses go out except in extreme weather or if the pastures are flooded.....

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:07 am

:roll: BO will bring in early if it's absolutely pouring (or turn out late, after the pasture has had a chance to drain), so they don't tear up the pastures. Otherwise? Our horses don't melt.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:28 am

Well here the horses would cry if they were brought in during the few rain storms we have.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:09 am

If we wouldn't turn out the horses rain or shine there wouldn't be much turn out all through fall, winter and spring. :lol:

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:25 pm

heddylamar wrote::roll: BO will bring in early if it's absolutely pouring (or turn out late, after the pasture has had a chance to drain), so they don't tear up the pastures. Otherwise? Our horses don't melt.

Same. Horse coats are remarkable at shedding water. A horse that looks quite wet from rain is often actually dry at the skin. Most of them would prefer to be out. Except Annabelle; she was so offended when I walked her from the indoor to her barn when it was raining hard the other day. I didn't know she could walk so fast. :lol: We joke that she wants to be a California girl. OTOH, the gelding I had in high school had a nice cozy stall and would only go in because that's where his food was, then he'd go out and get soaked, or let snow build up on his back.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:08 pm

I've got Annabelle's twin! All the oldsters are fine with pouring rain ... and then there's the princess. Maia RUNS for the treeline the moment it starts raining and won't come out until the rain stops :lol:

Borrowed Freedom
Greenie

Postby Borrowed Freedom » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:37 am

Where I keep my horses, they only keep them in or bring them in if there's a thunderstorm. Regular rain they still go out as we only really get any rain in summer. Madam has no issues with rain as she lived out until the age of three. My old man loves the rain, he's the one horse that would stick his face out in the rain when he's in his stable.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:28 pm

Ive got snow. eeeeewwwwww

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:26 am

Ryeissa wrote:Ive got snow. eeeeewwwwww

I’m outside Chicago, my sister is a bit north. She texted me that she and her husband were driving back from Madison WI and it was snowing.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:54 pm

yeah. a lot....5" +

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:21 pm

70 yesterday, and chance of snow and down to 25 this weekend. Ponies will get their blankets tomorrow night. They have spiffy matching bright blue 50 gram sheets to break in though they might be going straight to mediums at this rate.
Keep calm and canter on.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:45 pm

The winds been blowing HARD since Saturday, every stoopid day, weather guessers don't even bother with the wind advisory right now unless gusts are over 45mph, and now we're expecting lows in the low teens Thursday on. Me thinks winter is almost here. Wimpy me doesn't mind the cold but I truly hate walking and riding in the wind.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:05 pm

Chilly here but sunny. Last Thursday and Friday the horses were in because of foul weather. Saturday they had been out for about an hour before my lesson. I said to my instructor “any school horses available? Ariel will be fizzy after 2 days in.”

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:39 pm

78" blankets were roomy on Tesla last winter. Now it's looking like she'll outgrow her 81" blankets before winter is over. :shock: At least Obie has a couple 84s she can inherit, while Annabelle muscled up and outgrew her 76s and inherited Tesla's 78s. I'll take buying blankets over paying vet bills any day though.
Keep calm and canter on.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:42 am

Please send any rain you can spare to the west. We pre-evacuated on Sunday due to high winds and bone dry weather. Nothing happened, thankfully. I get the feeling that the authorities are trying to train us for future wildfire events. Not that that is a bad thing.
Anyway, my retiree hates the rain. The second horse, the Morgan, loves to stand out in the rain. He also is a bit of a pig and likes to sleep on his poop piles. :roll:
Horses don't melt in the rain. People just don't want to deal with wet horses and mud, IMO.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:56 am

horses out. rain shine snow or wind. I prefer to put in rain sheets if owners provide. if anyone complains I refer them to my vet.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:02 pm

Mine do not go out in Tstorms if I can help it. I leave them in during tropical systems and if it’s just pouring rain and cold. More because I don’t want to have to slog through the rain and mud to turn horses out. But my horses during the colder months stay out 24/7 as much as I can so they get plenty of TO. Summer they have to stay in during the day just too hot here in Georgia for them to go out

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:08 pm

My mare was out in a herd for her first 5 years, she doesn't care about much! Rain, snow, thunderstorms, flies, seems not much bothers her, she loves being out.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:15 pm

Hay burner I bred and raised Joplin she was a foal the first time she got rained on and boy was she ticked off! She would not even let me catch her in the paddock. She’s better now but still gets antsy about rain. I do let mine get wet and if needed have rain sheets. Joplin is just a bit of a diva though

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”