5 yr old KWPN/DHH gelding beautiful, no work ethic

Be sure to include location of the item in the ad
Fzybtfrm
Greenie

5 yr old KWPN/DHH gelding beautiful, no work ethic

Postby Fzybtfrm » Mon May 09, 2022 12:59 pm

I bought this guy at 2 1/2 and he is very smart and athletic. Unfortunately he has no interest in working for a living, Anywhere from 10 minute to 30 minutes into a ride, he will say "I'm done" and try to turn around and go back towards the barn, stop flat in his tracks, or spin. I have started several young horses and I have tried everything I know which isn't enough. I am tired of trying to "work through this" I am 65 and it isn't fun anymore. He will threaten to rear but if you kick him forward he won't. He needs someone younger and stronger ( mentally) than I am. I have had him checked by a vet, a chiropracter, and treated him for ulcers, nothing has come up or made a difference. He has never been lame or sick and is UTD on all care. I am located in Northern Nevada, and can send short snippets of video on Facebook Messenger to anyone interested. I have spent two and one half years of my life on what was meant to be my upper-level horse, and I just want him gone. I have no x-rays.. I will take $8500 OBO.

Fzybtfrm
Greenie

Re: 5 yr old KWPN/DHH gelding beautiful, no work ethic

Postby Fzybtfrm » Mon May 09, 2022 1:00 pm

Sorry, I am 28 miles east of Carson City, Nv.

MichiS
Greenie

Postby MichiS » Mon May 09, 2022 3:55 pm

I'm potentially interested in your gelding. I live in Carson City, so am relatively close to you. I have been working with a dressage/jumper trainer who specializes in communication, biomechanics, and rehabilitation of horses. I'd love to chat more and see some videos off your boy.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon May 09, 2022 8:16 pm

I know many people who might be interested. Who are you on FB?

Fzybtfrm
Greenie

Postby Fzybtfrm » Thu May 12, 2022 12:18 pm

Michis, I have a local trainer coming out to see him today, but if you send me your email and Facebook messenger address I can send some vids and we can chat , and I can send you my phone number on messenger .

Tanga, I am on Facebook but very little. I am Cassandra Peat, and I can use Messenger to send videos, etc. No pictures of the boy on my pages as I rarely post anymore.

Fzybtfrm
Greenie

Postby Fzybtfrm » Fri May 13, 2022 12:30 pm

Rocco is out on a two week trial, but anyone who is interested, if that doesn't result in his sale, please send me your information and I will contact you as soon as he returns home. I will post here if this results in his sale.

Fzybtfrm
Greenie

Postby Fzybtfrm » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:00 pm

I posted him for sale on Dreamhorse.com for $9500 and he is unsold as of now. I have posted videos on Youtube.com, put" Fuzzy Butt Farm channel" in the search box and click on magnifying glass to the RIGHT of the search box. Trainer who had him on trial decided he wasn't what she was looking for but was willing to split board and training fees to market him for me. I don't want to throw more money at him. I just want to move on.

Fzybtfrm
Greenie

Postby Fzybtfrm » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:15 pm

Morrocco is currently off the market.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:51 pm

You solved his issue and are keeping him?

Fzybtfrm
Greenie

Postby Fzybtfrm » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:25 pm

]Chisamba, I am humiliated and embarrassed to divulge that the poor horse's whole problem was saddle fit. I thought I knew enough to decide my all-purpose saddle fit him , and that is the saddle I ride my young-uns in, until I feel they are relaxed and controllable enough to ride in the longer stirrup a dressage saddle requires. Its a much longer story, but basically I had the dressage saddle I purchased for him fitted to him, but because of his antics, I continued to ride in the All-purpose. And he continued to say "I don't want to do this." So when he started humping up on the lung line I decided I had to do another vet check, and I had to put the dressage saddle fitted to him on his back to see if he did the same with the saddle fitted to him. It was absolutely night and day. No humping and crow -hopping on the lunge line, and when I got on him he walked away from the mounting block at a sedate pace with his head halfway to his knees. I was pretty much overwhelmed by guilt for several days, and then decided I had to give HIM a chance to redeem MYSELF. I feel like I should have "Bad Horse Mom" tattooed on my forehead. And, I had him checked a year or more ago by a vet/chiropracter, and he showed no signs of back sensitivity or soreness- because there was nothing on his back. I though he went around in giraffe mode because of his DHH breeding- he has the upright carriage horse sort of neck, and I could never convince him to lower it for more than a few strides. Now, as soon as I release the reins his head goes halfway to the ground. So, yes, I am keeping him.

Fzybtfrm
Greenie

Postby Fzybtfrm » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:27 pm

Chisamba, I am humiliated and embarrassed to divulge that the poor horse's whole problem was saddle fit. I thought I knew enough to decide my all-purpose saddle fit him , and that is the saddle I ride my young-uns in, until I feel they are relaxed and controllable enough to ride in the longer stirrup a dressage saddle requires. Its a much longer story, but basically I had the dressage saddle I purchased for him fitted to him, but because of his antics, I continued to ride in the All-purpose. And he continued to say "I don't want to do this." So when he started humping up on the lung line I decided I had to do another vet check, and I had to put the dressage saddle fitted to him on his back to see if he did the same with the saddle fitted to him. It was absolutely night and day. No humping and crow -hopping on the lunge line, and when I got on him he walked away from the mounting block at a sedate pace with his head halfway to his knees. I was pretty much overwhelmed by guilt for several days, and then decided I had to give HIM a chance to redeem MYSELF. I feel like I should have "Bad Horse Mom" tattooed on my forehead. And, I had him checked a year or more ago by a vet/chiropracter, and he showed no signs of back sensitivity or soreness- because there was nothing on his back. I though he went around in giraffe mode because of his DHH breeding- he has the upright carriage horse sort of neck, and I could never convince him to lower it for more than a few strides. Now, as soon as I release the reins his head goes halfway to the ground. So, yes, I am keeping him.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:29 pm

Don’t feel too bad. Horses are very forgiving. All of us have made mistakes with them. Communication is not perfect. I’m happy for both of you that you’ve figured this out!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:13 am

I am thrilled you found out why. I adore my DHH and the one I have on training. And yes they do have a default high neck. And the young un I have in training also went through a back humping I don't like my saddle phase.

May you redeem yourself and him onwards and upward!!!!

Fzybtfrm
Greenie

Postby Fzybtfrm » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:17 pm

Thank you both for your kind words. I am excited to ride him every day now, and I haven't had that feeling much with him, so its fabulous!

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:44 pm

Can I just say: I love this happy ending. Congrats on your "new" horse!

demi

Postby demi » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:46 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:Can I just say: I love this happy ending. Congrats on your "new" horse!

My sentiments exactly!!

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:16 pm

So glad it was an easy fix and you will be keeping him.

We can’t know it all, don’t beat yourself up.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:00 am

I have a dear friend who may as well have written your OP and your update. And she's a pro! She has this marvelous young horse she's bringing along, planning for him to be her small tour horse, and bam! the same issues. So many vet exams. Chiropractic and acupuncture. Bone scans. Neck injections. You name it.

Finally the saddle fitter shows up and within minutes, the problem is identified, a used saddle is recommended, saddle is found and purchased, and horse is a happy camper.

My friend felt the same guilt, humiliation, and embarrassment, especially since being a pro she feels she should have known better. But like you, she is excited and happy to ride the horse every day and those negative feelings are diminishing. She showed second level last weekend and not only got scores in the 70s, but extremely positive and complimentary comments from both judges.

So stop beating yourself up, and keep looking forward to a wonderful future with your horse.

Return to “For Sale!”