The Heat is ON: July/August Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: The Heat is ON: July/August Goals and Progress

Postby Chisamba » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:20 pm

Enlightened by our show tests, and photos and video, I realize my shirt backed chunky mare has to displace her ribs better and be more supple especially in half pass, so our focus this week has been in becoming even more supple. I find she is stiffer to the left, and so the effort begins to stretch, bend and remain uphill.

So I'm also reminding myself to focus on how to parse my bend without mirrors. I found myself not being consistent in the bend in the show ring in absence of mirrors.

So that's my week so far. What are you all up to?

khall

Postby khall » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:32 pm

Riding in my hay field working over trot poles and playing with piaffe in rope halter in hand for something different.

Gaila is handling her stall restriction fairly well except for chewing bandage and bell boot. Finally got her cultured Monday.

Mom and I was exposed Sunday to Covid. Right now I’m in waiting mode to see if we catch it. Both had recent second booster about 2-3 weeks ago. So please jingle we stay Covid free because I really want to go to the beach this weekend. My family visiting mom did not know the toddler was positive. I’m going to have to be the mean one in the family I guess when they are being so clueless

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:02 pm

I was closely exposed at work and , I believe, thanks to being visited did not get it. Jingling that you stay free and clear

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:45 pm

Ok. I'll be brave. I'd like to buy a photo or two from the pro at the show. I have it narrowed down to eight. I know, eight , wth. If anyone would like the link and maybe rank three faves, I'd love the input.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:48 pm

Saddle time is going to be thin on the ground this week--that beastly work thing.

I did have a very good lesson yesterday. Being forced to up my game through the move to the indoor has been good for me. I can best describe what we are working on at the moment as pushing out of our comfort zone without scaring or frying either one of us. It's a delicate balance for us both.

I was late today, thanks to a tardy client, and got to the barn just as my trainer was getting on.

She was working on the same thing, but at a more advanced level. She lulled him into doing some very nice relaxed half-step work without him getting into the "OMG I'm trapped in a box and can't get out" mode that he has been inclined to flash back to, and she played with the piaffe a bit too.

All our slow and steady and correct work over the last many months has built enough muscle and strength that it's fair for her to ask him for these things now. And they both had immense fun--he was ears up, relaxed, proud of himself. It made me a little teary-eyed.

I've been reading Flight's Grand Prix thread and the remark that really stood out to me was from TLKidding about spending the time on strengthening and conditioning. With a smart, athletic horse, it's easy for them to learn the tricks, but they really need the strength to do the work correctly and without hurting themselves physically and mentally. And there are no short cuts.

When I look at the physical difference in Potters between when I bought him and now, it is really remarkable. And he was being pushed to do FEI level work without the physique to do it. No wonder he was sore and overreactive, and no wonder he can be a little suspicious of the harder work.

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:17 pm

I'll look at the photos Chisamba! I love photos, I'd probably buy all 8 :D
I enjoyed reading your show reports, competing is hard work and I do find it difficult - cost/travel/tiring/disappointment - so I'm not sure why I want to try and aim for GP. So, i've entered a practice day this sat and will do PSG to see where we are at.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:39 pm

Well, I went out to ride, got Kyra all appointed with tack and hoof boots and just as I began to head out the door to the arena, she started crinkling her lip then doing the flehman posture. For her that = belly ache. She glanced at her belly a couple times so I pulled off all of said tack and hoof boots and got the stethoscope. Her HR was slightly elevated but far from alarm, her nostrils were slightly flared and her gums a bit pale with her cap refill at the top end of normal. She had plenty of gut sounds and had pooped 2x since the pen was cleaned about 2 hrs before I got there so stuff was going through. So I took her out on the lunge line and walked her. She never offered to go down and after 10 or so minutes of walk and a few circles of easy trot, she expelled a lot of gas. The BO said she was into a new stack of hay that was a different cutting. She was trying to split feedings 50/50 with the other stack but apparently, it was enough to upset her. By the time I treated her hock sores and put her back she was jonesing for food and was going to be real mad because I told Liz to hold her lunch. So…I will try again tomorrow. It was kind of yucky and uncharacteristically humid for us so I think it would have been sweaty ride anyway.

Susan

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:49 pm

Flight wrote:I'll look at the photos Chisamba! I love photos, I'd probably buy all 8 :D
I enjoyed reading your show reports, competing is hard work and I do find it difficult - cost/travel/tiring/disappointment - so I'm not sure why I want to try and aim for GP. So, i've entered a practice day this sat and will do PSG to see where we are at.

Because riding GP is the pinnacle of what we are capable of showing. I climbed kilaminjaro. It's about seven days of hiking to get to the end of the tree line. Then a day of hiking to get to the top. And as I flung myself on my back arms and legs out in might, I realized I was on the opposite end of the crater from the pinnacle and there was hours of hiking around the rim to reach to top. But I did it. People were marching past me energetically as I sauntered my way around. But dang, I had gotten so close it would have been silly to turn around.

You are so close. Don't compete. Don't care about the score. Care about the accomplishments.

The link doesn't work I'll have to try work out how to share
Last edited by Chisamba on Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:56 pm

Susan, this weather is hard on horses. I watched one at the barn today tie up--he'd got himself hot and bothered over leaving his buddy, in addition to it being the same kind of hot and sweaty weather today. His owner did what we would all have done--put him in the wash rack and carefully hosed him, from bottom to top, to cool him down. As soon as she went to bring him inside, he could barely walk. Fortunately, it was all over within 10 minutes, and he was looking fine and hunting for food, but he sure scared his mom.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:06 am

Unfortunately cold hosing is great for cooling but it can trigger tying up. One of those, no actually it's not an old wives tale. I'm glad he was ok so quickly.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:16 pm

We have arrived at high summer as both Kora and I have transitioned to one hundred percent avoidance of both indoor/outdoor arenas and are doing all our rides here in the hay fields.

Lots of these views
signal-2022-08-03-145056.jpg
signal-2022-08-03-145056.jpg (188.5 KiB) Viewed 63407 times

It is so telling when you have such a large space to ride multiple broken lines in canter just one after another after another etc. Nice to be able to think and act all within one 'long side' of the field. Along with the great strength and balance building with having to navigate slight undulations and slopes. I can only imagine it will do us good physically as it is mentally.

We have booked in a lesson on Sunday as we dearly need a post last 2 comps debriefing. I need to learn how to manage a proper stretchy trot as putting my scores in Excel, yes I am an extra nerd, that is the most variable score and we got creamed on it over the weekend.

Edited to add: Buy the pics Chisamba!! I'm terrible at picking them for myself as I always fixate on the negatives from it. I'm really, really looking forward to Regionals as Sue Stickle is there taking photos and hoping to get a banger photo from her.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:18 pm

Aleuronx I love riding in my hay fields too! I have one that is pretty flat and huge 10 acres so lots of room to play. I’ve also set up the WE course out there. That is a blast having it out in the field. My other field is 7 acres and mostly hilly or terraced. Perfect for some work on undulating ground. We are beyond sticky here it’s getting old

So far so good on Covid. Will test tomorrow chisamba I hope like you we skip this mess.

chisamba I tried the photo link but could not see them:(. Pick a few and buy them:). I have several from my years of showing

Not too much on horse front. Gaila will pull sutures Friday and the pony passed further ppe!! Chex will join the farm soon:). I’ll post a short clip of them

https://youtu.be/DyFI4hp3u2A

Ignore me encouraging my boarder. The following ride was easier with a dressage whip and him figuring out the posting deal. Chex is such a cutie!!

blob

Postby blob » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:10 pm

Chex is very cute!

I've been reading along and am glad to see many are making good progress or at least having fun despite summer heat and COVID on the rise.

I've been in a real funk/mess when it comes to riding. It feels like I cannot make my body do what I want it to do and any time I try to focus on improving one thing, 4 other things fall apart. And all of this further complicated by the fact that trainer has been having me really raise the bar with RP, which is the right move for his training, but I am really struggling to maintain it and it feels like now everything has sort of fallen apart and I can't even have a basic, steady ride. I am trying to focus on some of the position stuff I need to fix on MM since she is more forgiving--gives me a place to keep my body, etc. But some of the bad habits I have on RP don't translate to her and vice versa.

I know riding is always full of ups and downs and hard patches and easier parts. But I am definitely in a challenging one right now and feeling a bit like I don't have the tools needed to execute everything, which is also a challenge.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:14 pm

Chisamba wrote::D ok so maybe my flying change was a bit too expressive. Half pass to fc to halp pass :lol:
https://galleries.page.link/cYAvt

Credit Michele Morgenstern photography

looks like the gallery is locked so only someone with a specific email address/password can view it. If you have a long list you're trying to narrow from you could always take a screen shot or create a favorites gallery and share that with us?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:22 pm

Tesla was so good this morning. No balking/bracing against my leg at all. I was going to just W/T her through the First-3 test pattern at the end of the ride since I'm working on cementing my tests in my head, but she was ON it and we rode the test with all the canter work and stayed inside the redneck dressage court! The only things I changed were no real lengthenings and 20m canter circles instead of 15. She seemed quite happy, maybe she likes riding tests.

I've been a bit concerned that A has been going through another phase of not taking the right lead. It seems like every time we increase the quality of the canter, we go through right lead problems again. Problematic since 2nd-1 has two W/right lead transitions, the first of which is followed immediately by medium canter. Today she was picking it up if, if not always the most elegantly. Fingers crossed we are through this phase and don't biff it at the show.

Blob, I can commiserate on the difficulty of riding two very different horses. I'm sure you'll work through it and raise the bar with RP. We're almost always struggling through the muck, it's just how high it is at any given time.

I just found out that Mette Rosenkrantz is here this weekend, so I'm looking forward to going and auditing.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:39 pm

That'll be fun SF! I'm riding with her mid-September.

I've worked on getting the tests down in my head--I ride through them as I'm going to sleep--and now I realize they are changing them at the end of the year, and showing has been a bust this year... Am I just setting myself up for future confusion, I ask myself?

Where/when are you showing?

I'd love to see your pictures, Chisamba!

Blob, you are a very competent rider. You'll be OK. Maybe think of it more as an interesting puzzle, rather than a frustration? That's what I have to do!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:59 pm

Moutaineer wrote:That'll be fun SF! I'm riding with her mid-September.
Where/when are you showing?

The Benefit Idaho show the 20th-21st.

Oh yeah, new tests! I was thinking of going over to the September schooling show in Pocatello to muck around with 2-2 and 2-3, but maybe not worthwhile if they'll change next year.
Keep calm and canter on.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:14 pm

blob wrote:Chex is very cute!

I've been reading along and am glad to see many are making good progress or at least having fun despite summer heat and COVID on the rise.

I've been in a real funk/mess when it comes to riding. It feels like I cannot make my body do what I want it to do and any time I try to focus on improving one thing, 4 other things fall apart. And all of this further complicated by the fact that trainer has been having me really raise the bar with RP, which is the right move for his training, but I am really struggling to maintain it and it feels like now everything has sort of fallen apart and I can't even have a basic, steady ride. I am trying to focus on some of the position stuff I need to fix on MM since she is more forgiving--gives me a place to keep my body, etc. But some of the bad habits I have on RP don't translate to her and vice versa.

I know riding is always full of ups and downs and hard patches and easier parts. But I am definitely in a challenging one right now and feeling a bit like I don't have the tools needed to execute everything, which is also a challenge.

yes, I have had those months. I think actually that was my entire 2021 :)
Dressage is HARD.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:33 pm

blob wrote:
Chisamba wrote::D ok so maybe my flying change was a bit too expressive. Half pass to fc to halp pass :lol:
https://galleries.page.link/cYAvt

Credit Michele Morgenstern photography

looks like the gallery is locked so only someone with a specific email address/password can view it. If you have a long list you're trying to narrow from you could always take a screen shot or create a favorites gallery and share that with us?

I'm sorry, I don't know why they have a share link of it doesn't actually share

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:41 pm

A few
Attachments
Screenshot_20220804-182424_Samsung Internet-01_240x348.jpeg
Screenshot_20220804-182424_Samsung Internet-01_240x348.jpeg (78.68 KiB) Viewed 63322 times
MMP_2124_320x213.jpg
MMP_2124_320x213.jpg (75.42 KiB) Viewed 63322 times
MMP_0983_240x360.jpg
MMP_0983_240x360.jpg (86.26 KiB) Viewed 63322 times

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:45 pm

Kyra's belly upset seemed to be very short lived...thank goodness.

I rode yesterday (Wed) and the poor dear was still quite stiff from our trail ride on Sunday. She kept catching a hind toe during our walk warm-up. I was a bit concerned but added a little whip with my leg and went to some trot and canter (all easy and forward) and she worked out of it. I finished with a bit of sitting trot. Not quite baby trot but not quite working trot either. I did a little HI then just for kicks and giggles, asked for one half pass each way. She didn't stall out and things flowed quite nicely. I was able to sit it and not disrupt her so I called that a good place to stop. Goal for the future is to be able to sit a full working trot and start to work on collection.

Today...no tripping. That first hill to get up to the trails is a bugger. The trail is loose sand and it isn't super steep but it is a climb and poor Miss Flatlander is finding it a challenge. Today, we did a shortish arena session. It was already hot. I don't like to go out alone but I decided to take her partway up that trail. She can still see the barn so if we parted ways, I think she would go right back to the barn. The trail splits about halfway up so when we got to the split we did a tiny circle and came back down. We didn't part ways and she didn't run back to the barn so that was good. Hopefully, working the looser sand will get her more used to the terrain so she doesn't get so stiff and sore when we go on a longer ride.

Me and the horse are so over the heat. I thought I was going to have to carry her to the arena today she was so mellow :lol: . Fly spray lasts about 20 minutes :P . I can't wait until the weather turns cool and she will becomes a fire breathing dragon again :shock: . How about some nice 70's? I would even take some low 80's (for highs).
Susan

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:58 pm

And three more. You'll be sick of me lmao. Let me know if you have a favorite
Attachments
MMP_2163_320x253.jpg
MMP_2163_320x253.jpg (88.89 KiB) Viewed 63321 times
MMP_2655_240x360.jpg
MMP_2655_240x360.jpg (82 KiB) Viewed 63321 times
MMP_0971_320x220.jpg
MMP_0971_320x220.jpg (73.6 KiB) Viewed 63321 times

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:44 pm

I like all of them! If you wanted to drop one, maybe the back view, only because photos tend to look better from the front. Love the smiling ones :)

We've had a heap of rain so my dressage day was cancelled, so pressure's off to do a PSG, but then it's just delaying my kick up the bum to get motivated again. I did enter another protocol day for working eq, going up a level so I have to do it all one handed. That is a kick up the bum to get practising for that! I suck riding one handed!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:47 pm

I love the purple outfit. My tailcoat is navy, and with the rule change I ride in grey breeches like yours, a blue shirt, and black gloves. It looks SO much nicer, I think, and I sure need the slimming look.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:03 am

All of the pictures are good but if I had to limit my choices it would be the first three. The first one is just fun. The second is classic. The third is just a wonderful picture of you.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:06 am

Chisamba I prefer all the pics with the coat on. I like the look of your coat on Saiph and I like both of you in these pictures

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:12 am

Chisamba, I like the half pass one where you are in the light gray shirt…I like your smile :| . The one above it (trot) is nice too.

Susan

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:39 am

khall wrote:Chisamba I prefer all the pics with the coat on. I like the look of your coat on Saiph and I like both of you in these pictures

It was 100 degrees and I only wore it because I knew she was taking photos. I nearly died. I could not get it off. It was so stuck on and wet it squelched when my friend peeled the sleeves off my arms. I like the look too but I think I need to try tan breeches. I'm not wearing white breeches again lol

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:10 am

Chisamba - the first pic is my favourite!
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

blob

Postby blob » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:04 am

The second one in the first post and the first one in the second post are my favorites

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:52 pm

I like the 1st, 3rd and 5th photos the best. They're all wonderful and especially like how you're smiling in many. That's always the best thing to see. Thank you for sharing!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:41 pm

I like the pics in the coat the best, especially the first and fourth. Saiph is my dream horse color.

A little jump session with Annabelle today. Annabelle managed to canter through a little course of verticals despite my ineptitude. Tesla was really good again today. Riding with two whips is turning out to be good for me as well, because it's highlighting when I'm doing weird things with my hands... like WHY are these identical whips pointing off in totally different directions, or sitting in totally different spots on my thigh? And when I tightened that up, Tesla went better. Go figure. I think I'll try two whips with A and see if it helps with my straightness.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:47 pm

My last two
Attachments
MMP_2143-01_240x358.jpeg
MMP_2143-01_240x358.jpeg (88.44 KiB) Viewed 63253 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:51 pm

I quite like this one
Attachments
Screenshot_20220725-124346_Gallery_320x286.jpg
Screenshot_20220725-124346_Gallery_320x286.jpg (86.42 KiB) Viewed 63253 times

demi

Postby demi » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:10 pm

I haven’t been checking in regularly as I am adjusting to a different life and on top of that, I got covid. I’ve spent the last few days binge watching Netflix. Anyway, it was a mild case and I have just passed the CDC recommended 5 day isolation period. I technically can go out in public with a mask for the next 5 days.

Chisamba, I like photos #2,#6, and #8 very much. Of course, all of them are nice, and as others have said, the smiles are great. Looking forward to many more.

The other post that stands out in my somewhat foggy mind, is Blob’s. Don’t worry Blob. Really. It will get better one way or another. Im sorry you’re in a rough patch now, but soon, I know we’ll be seeing exciting posts from you again.

I rode Rocky yesterday and today and she seemed so happy that I was paying attention to her. I don’t have my energy back after covid, so I only did light rides. I hope to start lessons on Besa again Monday. I may be riding two horses regularly. I don’t think I can let Rocky just be a pasture puff. She really likes to have a job…

khall

Postby khall » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:56 pm

Chisamba I hear you on almost dying with the jacket on! Why I don’t like to show in the summer in Georgia even waving coats ( I just do schooling shows anyway) it’s a wonder you did not overheat and fallout. I do like the last two you posted. Maybe buy a canter photo and a trot photo? I like the cream or buff colored breeched with the yummy chocolate coat you have. White ugh why we did stark white for so long… I can never keep them clean!

Well mom and I dodged the Covid scare thank goodness. My sister and her oldest did not. My sister while fully vaccinated is feeling pretty punky. I’m so glad we are negative we leave on vacation tomorrow!!

New pony Chex came today. He’s going to have a bit of a change going from a backyard kids pony to an older AA safe mount doted on. She’s already itching to bath him and get rid of his long mane. Barbie pony!

Stay cool and happy riding all! I’ll post Henry pics on his thread of Henry on the beach probably baying at the crabs:)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:30 am

May Chex be all the things an older AA needs to enjoy and love and ride.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:29 am

I just did a whole post on what pictures I thought id get and why and the damned system made me sign in even though I was signed in and poof the post went away. Le sigh.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:03 am

Chisamba wrote:I just did a whole post on what pictures I thought id get and why and the damned system made me sign in even though I was signed in and poof the post went away. Le sigh.

Ahh! It's spreading! I had to login again for the 4th time today.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:26 pm

I was so looking forward to having a ride in a bit cooler temperatures and when I got to the barn, Kyra was fruit bat crazy :roll: . A new horse arrived into the stall next to her which has been empty most of the year. She was herding the horse on her other side to keep him away from the new intruder. Apparently in her little pea horse brain, she hasn’t figured out there is fences between all of them. So, the first part of the program was some attitude adjustment. She couldn’t even look at the new horse without pinning her ears. Not to mention when I opened her stall door she was ready to bolt out. Well, that doesn’t fly when I am around. I could have ridden but figured it wasn’t going to be the most productive session. We spent some time in her pen and she finally settled and at least looked at the new fellow. Exvet…he is a nice stout Welsh Cob! Her boyfriend on the other side went out for a ride so I got her to mellow some.

I did give her a nice brisk lunge and she wasn’t too bad. Some distraction but otherwise cooperative. After the lunge, I put on the long reins and we worked on half steps. Then I finished up with some Spanish walk. I could tell underneath her seemingly calm demeanor, she was a bit pissed as although she had really nice amplitude on the lift part, the were step sequences that were Spanish stomp :lol: .

Hopefully, she will be a bit more settled tomorrow.

Demi, COVID healing jingles coming your way. I am glad you got to ride Rocky. I always had that dilemma when I had two. I was working at the time and could really only handle riding one so as the youngster got to riding age, I sold the older one. It is nice you can ride both. Rocky will appreciate it.

Susan

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:11 pm

I had literally the best ride on Tesla this morning, and caught it on video. I wasn't tracking time, but it turns out we were done in 25 minutes because she just stepped up and went to work. I can see I'm riding still a touch defensively, and can now start sitting and bringing her up to the bridle. Super happy with her right now! https://youtu.be/TXS_bmtwI4U

After that I went to the Mette clinic and the first ride I caught was a big green chestnut warmblood. That looked familiar :lol: I got some tips from that about being really precise with the steering through turns and making sure they don't rely on and bounce off of the wall. The next ride was a 1st levelish GRP that actually was not too different from Annabelle, though of course a more elastic mover. Last was a GP schoolmaster with the part owner who is starting to show him at PSG. Again with him the emphasis was on accurate steering and getting shoulder control. She had them ride a lot of quarter lines connected by 1/2 voltes to get them set up straighter for halfpass. I'll probably go back tomorrow.
Keep calm and canter on.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:27 pm

SF, that is an awesome update! Love when we get those step up moments.

Everyone, I am truly appreciating your updates.

Honestly, I am now at the point that I realize Emi needs to step down, even as we rehab. She re-injured that groin muscle she hurt in spring about 3 weeks ago. Not terrible, but we are going back to "week 5: of rehab (walk only, easy surfaces). I think she would like me to get a youngster to share my attention and activity! I am on the fence---because of work, money impact long term, retirement plans (still figuring out with or without horses---it is a significant difference). My work is better (promotion, new job) but my time has not increased for another horse. I know many people say buy the horse and breed the mare, but I truly try keep my horse low impact on my financial and personal life. Two horses is a lot when you have a big job, plus commuting, etc. If Emi wants to fully retire, that makes it easier. Not clear yet what is best so I am taking my time and waiting for people who can't afford their nice horses to sell :-D.

That said, I miss training and riding for improvement tremendously.

In updates for Sue B, I caught my first brook trout today! No 3 species day for me (which is possible where I live in E TN--wild brook, brown and rainbow), though. Fly fishing is so similar to dressage to me: Lots of attention, practice, failure, occasional exciting successes!

khall

Postby khall » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:18 am

Nice SF!

Piedmont I hope you can find the solution so that you can still ride

We made it to the beach! Henry and my pittie girl Zoey traveled like champs. Find the beach a fun place to walk. Henry is having to learn how to navigate a bunch of different stairs

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:28 am

SF, Tesla looks great. Maybe she is realizing how fabulous she looks (yeah that’s it ;) ). Good job.

Piedmontfields…is there somebody at your barn that would do a half lease? I know it is hard. Kyra is sound and I am even questioning how much I should ask of her. That is if she even survives trying to pick a boyfriend and trying to kill the other one. Gosh, I wish I could convince her to play well with others.

Susan

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:42 pm

Straightforward, congrats on your progress.

Piedmont fields, how old is Emi. I am sorry for her setback on rehab.

Khall have fun on the beach with yours.

We had a show today. I didn't ride as I was coaching. Everyone had great progress and it was a super outing so it has just been a lovely day.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:32 pm

demi, blob and piedmontfields-- so sorry to hear of the setbacks, the blahs, and the struggles outside of horses. Thinking of all of you!

Chisamba, SF, khall-- great updates!

Keeping on keeping on with Queso. I've been dragging myself out to the barn to ride 5ish days/week in this hot humid depressingly dry summer, sweat through all of my breeches at least 4x, and can actually see demonstrable progress. The canter is consistently uphill and soft over the topline (instead of bracing), even in the hard stuff: changes and lateral work. Trotwork has developed legitimate suspension and cadence (although that still is a bit fragile). And I've even managed to stay on the salads-and-portion-control train. Which isn't fun, but at least the scale is starting to show some progress.

The challenge: hanging on to this feeling of success during the next inevitable downswing of confidence in our abilities.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:00 pm

Kimba showing off her blue ribbon and better than 70% score at our schooling show. She went at the very last minute because Becky's horse managed to pull off both hey front shoes. Becky has not ridden K very often so I pulled her in from pasture threw her on the trailer and she had ac warm up in in the ring just like that. Second level test 1 and Becky just trying to get better at second level. Actually Becky had a very challenging show last time out, and the divine miss K did much to restore her confidence
Attachments
30117504260236_320x253.jpeg
30117504260236_320x253.jpeg (75.55 KiB) Viewed 63045 times

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:50 pm

great pic! all smiles

blob

Postby blob » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:08 pm

great pic, Chisamba--blue looks great on all three of you!
Demi--I hope you are starting to feel better and get your energy back.
Khall--keep us posted on Chex's updates, he sure is a cutie.
SF--thanks for sharing the great ride on Tesla. She is looking stronger and stronger!
Piedmontfields--jingles for Emi. recovery can be such a challenge.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and support. I know riding is a perpetual rollercoaster. I had a lesson with RP on sunday, which was helpful. My trainer did a good job of reminding me that big things like clinics are meant to push us really far and get us out of our comfort zone but that does not mean we need to do that every ride and do all the things at once. It's ok to break things down into manageable chunks. So we talked about what is most important about addressing now, how to address, what I should be tolerant of with myself and with RP and what I should insist on. I still feel like we are in a low we need to climb out of but I feel a bit better equipped for it.

Another plus was that I had a REALLY great ride on MM the other day where she felt really wonderful. We were just out in the XC field doing basics but she felt uphill and powerful and connected and was ears forward eager.

My new trailer also FINALLY arrived. It's lovely but I admit I am now in the learning curve of learning to hitch/unhitch/haul/etc. I also did some practice loading with MM who had been doing well on my friend's trailer, but then hadn't been on a trailer since we moved barns back in April and was NOT a fan of wanting to get up in my new trailer. I know we will get there eventually but it took a LONG time to get to enough progress to call it a day. Much of her fear is about backing up so once I can get her up properly I will start using the front unload ramp and I think she will be much happier. But on Sunday only gave me 4 feet on the trailer but no closing her in. So I want to wait until she's at least letting me do that before I introduce the front unload ohterwise I'm worried things might get wild.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:43 pm

Ha,ha blob. Your new trailer needs some poop in it ;) . Give it time and keep doing the methodical work you have been doing and she will be in.

Kyra had much better composure on Sunday. She still doesn’t like the new guy but at least she isn’t worked up about him with her eyes bugging out :roll: .

I have had 2 nice rides. Sunday, I actually managed some fairly forward sitting trot (about 3/4 of where she should be) and got some really nice lateral work including another nice set of half-pass. We even manage our jaunt up the hill. I wasn’t sure with all the hub-bub of Friday and Saturday but she marched our little loop. She kept one ear on the barn and I did have to convince her to slow down a bit on the way back. My tailbone tolerated the sitting fine but my left SI joint hasn’t been very happy but then my core is more like jelly right now so definitely something to work on off the horse. The Prestige saddle seems to be fine for both of us….now to keep the weight off through the fall. I swear I have some bear genes and seem driven to eat for hibernation :P .

Today’s ride was also nice. I worked canter today. We did our multiple canter/trot/canter transitions. The quality of the canter felt pretty good so just to ask a question, I asked her to halt, reinback and canter off. I think we repeated that 3 ways each lead and the first on the left lead she took one trot step and otherwise fired off promptly. I was in the little arena but I gave my CC exercise a try. Right lead was good, left lead a little scrambled and braced but she did hold her impulsion and lead so we had some of the elements.

Chisamba, that is so cool for Kimba to step up. What nice score for Becky.

Susan

Return to “Dressage Training”