March (and April) of Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Re: March (and April) of Progress

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:12 am

After getting through atmospheric river # 3042 (OK, maybe #3) I finally got to ride today. My last ride was in a freaking snowstorm :P like 10 days ago.

She was so nice, mellow and cooperative. I think this was only our second ride in the bigger arena all winter. It was nice not to be stuck on a big 30m x 30m square.

We worked on circles and serpentines. In the serpentines, she was amazingly straight across center line. In trot I had her come back to walk across CL then trot off. Usually, she falls to the side of the turn but I was quite easily able to keep her straight. I started working diligently on the straightness issue last fall as flying changes will be a bugger if I can't keep her straight so very happy with her work today. Canter started out a bit against the hand but a few little counterbends and releases got her to stand up and she had a nice energetic forward canter. Once I get a bit more fitness on her, I will do the serpentines with canter, trot across CL then new lead working up to C-W-C.

She goes to the vet on 3/28 to x-ray her broken tooth to see if we need to deal with it sooner than later. I hope it can wait. It sounds nasty to dig out those roots since all the tooth above the gum is gone :( .

So nice to have a lovely sunny day to ride. The days of seeing the sun have been few and far between.

Susan

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:17 am

Yes, it was pretty nice today! Our outdoor was drained enough for riding, but is all chopped up and still has some squidgy parts. Hopefully they will be able to drag it this weekend, but the BO has been out with either Covid or something Covid-adjacent for three weeks, so I can't blame them if they don't get to it.

My girls have been driving me to drink this week but what can you do? Annabelle seemed much happier working tonight, but still a little iffy when asked to take weight on her LH, so we'll see what the vet has to say about that on Monday. My laser has been getting a workout this week as she seemed especially sore in her ribs and a couple spots in her back. I wonder if Tesla kicked or body slammed her, poor girl.

T is still in her non-cantering phase, though her canter looks good and comes easily on the lunge. She is not impressed with the new rations, and had all of her PM feed on top of her AM feed when I left tonight. I fed her Renew Gold as her "grain" for quite awhile and she always ate it, so not sure why she is objecting so much now. Hopefully she'll get over it soon. I'm supposed to haul her out for a lesson this weekend, so it will be interesting to see if being in a new location will give her some motivation to canter. If not, it might just be time for a Come to Jesus type ride to snap her out of it.
Keep calm and canter on.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:15 pm

Loved the photos and hearing about your experience Flight. What a fun, intensive deep dive in dressage.

Bummer Khall, sending more reproductive vibes. It’s early still, you’ve got time.

Exvet I’ve been closely reading your posts as I tentatively enter flying change hell. So pleased to see that Brandon might give you a few less grey hairs for it.

Fingers crossed you get some good advice from the vets with Kyra’s tooth. Of of the mind to take it out sooner than later, they actually do quite well with a ‘void’.

SF, jealous you are riding outside! I bet being outside will help kickstart the canter as well, something about the open space is just easier.

Speaking of that toe into flying change hell… The Pivo is going to be INVALUABLE for this. Eyes on the ground better yes, but at least I can post-ride mentally tie what felt good to what actually happened and can work on them solo.

So sharing my small win. The right to left is always going to be easier for her but dang Kora, on the aid and just canter away. Thank you very much. (Not sharing the left to right shenanigans, maybe for a blooper reel when we get to the other side of hell)

https://youtu.be/FLn38i8VtTw

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:16 pm

GORGEOUS change, Aleuronx.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:53 am

Nice, Aleuronx!

T was much more motivated riding somewhere else, but still reluctant to canter. We addressed some of the stickiness with expectation of a prompt W/T transition with both legs off and boot her if she doesn't react. Eventually the instructor came and stood in the middle with a whip and we "lunged" around her and managed to get the canter, bombed around several times and then changed directions and picked up the other lead a couple times. She agreed with me that there is nothing wrong with Miss T and it is time for CTJ if she is not popping into canter. She said she'll probably always go through these phases of "no" as it's just part of her temperament. So yay. Tomorrow is shots and dentals, so fingers crossed she doesn't have a reaction and need time off. Hopefully we can reinstall the canter before the clinic at the end of the month, but if not, we'll at least be able to get some more help with it.
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:30 am

Tanga wrote:GORGEOUS change, Aleuronx.

I agree. Lovely collected canter before the change.

I got another nice ride today. Today we did a ‘rail’ ride. Just stuck to the rail working on straightness and proper bending through the corners. Her canter was nicely forward and pretty good self carriage. We did another round of 4 loop serpentine at trot with walk across CL then back to trot. we also did a bit of LY in trot for a bit of suppleness work. LY seems to help tighten up her loose stifle. I am also going to start putting a bell boot (or chain) on her right hind and see if I can’t get her lifting it a bit more. I am going to give her a course of Adequan that I will pick up when I take her in for her head x-ray.

The rain returns tomorrow…boooo. After that it looks like showers the rest of the week so hopefully I can sneak in some rids around the rain.

Susan

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:10 am

You guys all look amazing!

Flight - Such a cool experience!
Exvet - I always follow your posts in detail, we seem to be on the same kind of journey (although you are much more self-aware and, frankly, just so much more together as a rider than me :D )
Aleuronx - Great change!
Tanga - Thanks for posting your tests. I watched the right-way-up ones, you inspire me!

I haven't sat my bum in a dressage saddle in weeks and weeks. I've had lower back issues, then horse got a virus, then horse got maintenance injections, then my instructor had car issues. But today we managed a lesson. Just did some catch-up work, lots of shapes and transitions so I could get the feel of long legs again (mostly been riding in the jumping saddle the last month, when I could ride).

He was so jazzed at the end that he was flinging himself around a bit, and my instructor said why not see if you can get some half steps by yourself. It's not pretty. I'm not at all sure of the correct aids, or practiced in giving them, because even though we do them as part of the lesson quite often, she is always my ground person and she's the 'driving aid' with the whip. So I've asked her if, over the next few weeks, we can make an effort to teach my body what to do, so that gradually we become less dependent on her.

https://youtu.be/la9jke5tgSQ
https://youtu.be/30B-IxljHgA
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:41 pm

Aw, mari, I love your fat spotted pony! You know my first horse, who was doing FEI work until I lost him at 31, was an Appy? He was piaffe king (just couldn't passage.) You'll get it.

If I started again, which I won't be doing at my age, I would start every horse on piaffe as fun as soon as possible. It's so great for them all. I'm sure you're boy will be wonderful.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:21 pm

Aleuronx that is indeed a beautiful change--no FC hell that I can see!
Mari--Odin looks fab! He's going to get that in no time, some really great steps in there.

MM has been doing really well the last few weeks. Over the weekend on a whim, I popped her over a grid that was set up at the barn. The striding wasn't quite right for us, so it didn't go quite as smoothly as I might have liked. But she's still such a good girl about it and it's a nice reminder that when she's feeling well, I should incorporate more jumping, esp jumping where there are tight lines so she has to really rock back. Ideally I'd also be working up to big fences, but I am a chicken! On Saturday we did our weekly fitness ride and during my last set, another rider was doing a big canter up the 'galloping' lane. So, I let the other rider get about 25 yards ahead of me and then let MM go. She loves a good chase and opened up into a full gallop to catch up. It was a ton of fun and she came right down to normal breathing after walking, so even better.

RP, meanwhile is doing less amazing. He is happy and content to do easy light work until I figure out what's going/confirm nothing is going on and address through training. We are trying to get on the busy vet calendar to assess if there is something going on that is making right lead canter so tricky for him. I have a confirmed appointment on April 18th, but we are trying to get in sooner. In the meantime, we are doing hilly hacks, doing long and low stretching (in contact), trot poles, and some lunging. All of which he's doing happily and well. My guess is we are looking at something in stifle or SI, so I figure for either one, strengthening also is important so better to keep him doing productive things that he is happy to do. The lunging has also been interesting/valuable data set for me where one big variable (me!) has been removed. On Wednesday last week i could see right lead issues on the lunge. On Sunday, I could not. Does that mean the fact that I am not riding him in the right lead canter right now mean it is improving? Or is this just a reflection of what I was feeling the last several months--that we have some good days and some bad days, but no real forward progress? Time will tell!

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:46 am

I took the day off and decided to have a lesson. We, of course, continue to work on getting Junior to really bend through the rib cage and then once he's really soft on the inside rein, allows me to half-halt and balance him on the outside at all three gaits, we work on the set up for the flying changes. Today the exercise was riding a figure eight of 20 meter circles. At first I worked at the walk and where or just before the intersection I did a 360 walk pirouette then establish the new bend with a very soft inside rein, push forward and ask for the canter depart with engagement and pushing off the hind end. I got some really good ones going both directions. Then I worked my way up to cantering one circle, establishing the new bend prior to getting to the intersection point, asking for Junior to amp up his canter all the while and if I have true bend and a forward horse ask for the change. It really worked well in the sense that I got some clean changes and mostly eliminated the skip a change (though I did get some 'interesting' changes) because he couldn't really anticipate and sneak it in. So I think we have made some progress. I'm going to keep long lining him too because I think he still needs to improve his coordination taking the right lead from a walk to a canter. I feel if I can make that consistently automatic and correct (I can still see him really try to figure his way through using his body correct, ie I see him thinking) we will have our changes. So this will be our homework for the next 10 days. This Thursday Colonel Brandon will be going to my 'regular' lesson. Can't wait to see what Molly's opinion is on Brandon's progress ;)

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:03 am

Exvet - For the figure eight exercise you just described: Is the walk pirouette in the same direction as the old circle, or as prep for the new circle?
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:55 pm

mari wrote:Exvet - For the figure eight exercise you just described: Is the walk pirouette in the same direction as the old circle, or as prep for the new circle?

It's in the direction of the old circle and then immediately ask for new bend, soften new inside rein and half halt on the outside rein for new circle and the flying change. I'm getting very prompt canter departs through the long lining I'm doing - from trot, from walk. This new exercise is simply a means to take advantage of that and give Junior a new set up so that he's not anticipating the change. Unfortunately I have been giving him too much time for set up and thus anticipation for the change so that he can throw in what he knows to be more energy efficient change all the while getting more and more behind my leg. This exercise tends to force him to use the appropriate mechanics (even if large the pirouette circle must be done correctly) and develop the engage and thrust action from the hind legs that he has been avoiding with conviction. He has always been quite capable of the sit aspect, the thrust/push not so much or not so much without turning into a broom handle. I have to give Molly credit for imagery that has helped me 'figure out' what is going on.......I've always known (just due to breed and conformation) that Junior's go to is to drop in the withers, double down into the chest and base/lower neck and pull himself along - great power for a trotting breed. Molly describes his anticipation of needing to kick in the thrusters as acting like he all of a sudden swallowed a broom and all lateral flexibility goes out the window and his hind end doesn't engage (not out behind but still) and he pulls himself with huge lift in the front end but not through the back at all ....UNLESS...I can keep him soft and over the back and using himself like a proper dressage horse should LOL and building his canter up in power, not dialing it back........darn Welshies.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:49 pm

Thanks all, I was fairly chuffed to have it on video. And trust me, the flying change hell is real :lol: Our blooper footage will be hysterical, think beautiful 6 one tempis but only behind (trying to just canter straight). We are just touching on them here and there, not working on them everyday. At least until I get the state of the union from trainer once she returns from Florida.

2nd round vaccinations are tomorrow so sneaking in a quick ride first thing. Great news today from scan that chemo is working for my mom. Celebrating with a full nights sleep

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:06 am

Tanga wrote:Aw, mari, I love your fat spotted pony! You know my first horse, who was doing FEI work until I lost him at 31, was an Appy? He was piaffe king (just couldn't passage.) You'll get it.

If I started again, which I won't be doing at my age, I would start every horse on piaffe as fun as soon as possible. It's so great for them all. I'm sure you're boy will be wonderful.

After this one, my heart is set on the spotty ones :lol:

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:32 pm

I got Tesla cantering after a not unsubstantial amount of work yesterday. This morning I tried the Surefoot pad exercise of one foot at a time on the pad, then walk a circle and stand another foot on the pad for 15 seconds or so at a time. After that she moved forward pretty easily on the lunge, and continued that for the most part under saddle. It was probably the most cooperation I've gotten out of her in the past month. Had to cut the ride short as someone else needed the indoor, but I'm going to go back tonight and ride outside unless it starts raining.

A got her hocks injected on Monday, so she's been off a few days, and I'm anxious to see how she is moving as she goes back into work over the next several days.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:45 pm

I did a test run through of the PsG test. One canter pirouette we broke and there was an extra buck in both flying change lines which I wasn't sure how to count. Lol.

I guess I'm thinking I might be able to clean it all up for competition

Otherwise it's been dentals, vaccinations, spring up and down weather and mud mud mud. Fkyv season is rapidly descending on us.

I just caught up on my reading this thread but I don't even know where to start commenting. Lol.

Hope everyone continues to enjoy their progress

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:49 pm

Loving everyone's video's and photos! Tanga always good to watch your tests. I still would love to do a GP test, but hmm not sure it's gonna happen! I can do parts but stringing it together I think is beyond us.
ALeuronx, lovely change. Definitely keep your bloopers and make a video later. I still watch mine to remember where we were.
Mari, that's very cool! Your guy is gorgeous. I'm really keen on looking at a knabstrupper cross friesian foal (from the same stud as my little black horse) but I really dont have the room for a 3rd horse. But I do like the spotted ones.
Blob, so tricky to know what's going on with them. Hope the vet visit helps sort it. I think you said in an earlier post your trainer was moving and you were stuck at first level. Honestly, you're a good enough rider to keep pushing through and working it out yourself up the levels. Then find a trainer to help polish what you've done. It does suck not having a regular trainer, but it does make you figure stuff out.

My horses are appreciating what I've learned with contact on the Valenca horses. I just have to keep a constant watch on myself not to fall back to old habits. And I need to do less! Let them just do it. They are growing their winter coats and starting to look very fluffy. Not sure whether to clip again this year or not.

Chisamba, it sounds like you will be able to get a good PSG test done!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:19 pm

Flight, if I could take my wisdom of contact now, to when I was young and ambitious, I would have really known how to ride. Lol. I was taking to Andrea Hausberger, ( the recently fired head rider at the Spanish Riding school.) Apparently one may not tell the CEO that the horses need more time off and slower training, anyway . I was talking to him about how frustrating it is that I am now really learning how to ride, decades after my skills were at their best. He suggested it takes more than a life time to learn to ride, which is why even the best riders still look to the experience of others to improve.

So , what would I tell the younger me? Don't take step 2 if step one is wrong. It's not about achieving the canter in the transition, it's about the quality of the contact before, through and after the transition even in the greenest horse and the most trained horse.
Young me would disagree and ask why. I would explain, it is the quality of the contact that tells you what you need to know about the horse . Does the horse jerk the rein away. It probably doesn't trust the hand, does the horse lean in, help its balance, dies the horse tuck, its not working back to front. Fix that thing first then ask again and the horse will find what you are asking possible and trust.

Anyway, flight, my suggestion would be that as you improve the focus on contact. ( and believe me when I say I'm talking about simply the relationship between the horses jaw and the riders hand, ( not head set, flexion, above the bit, behind the bit , etc al ) . You really will understand your horses needs better.

As always, just my opinion.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:34 pm

Chisamba wrote:So , what would I tell the younger me? Don't take step 2 if step one is wrong. It's not about achieving the canter in the transition, it's about the quality of the contact before, through and after the transition even in the greenest horse and the most trained horse.
Young me would disagree and ask why. I would explain, it is the quality of the contact that tells you what you need to know about the horse . Does the horse jerk the rein away. It probably doesn't trust the hand, does the horse lean in, help its balance, dies the horse tuck, its not working back to front. Fix that thing first then ask again and the horse will find what you are asking possible and trust.

Thanks, this is a big piece of what I'm working through with T lately. No sense in trying to get the canter when the contact is not good, and it takes time to work her into the contact so that it is lively and forward and soft in the back.

I put her back in the Micklem with the Fager Nils (like a Myler mouthpiece) the last few rides and think it might be the Goldilocks combo at least for now. She did not like this bit much with the regular caveson, but she would get a little high in the poll and brace into the contact in the mullen mouth. Of course she did just get her teeth done, so that may also be a factor. We're also managing to get her to eat at least most of her new supplement/concentrate mix, and I may be imagining things, but it seems like her resting muscle tone is a little more relaxed, and she is moving into a swingier trot more quickly on the lunge.

Annabelle is much happier after the hock injections, and we had a nice school yesterday. This morning I'm dragging my husband over to the big indoor with me so we can get some fresh video to send to someone who is interested.

Just found out that my clinic is being postponed until May. It's disappointing because I really wanted to see what suggestions she might have for getting T warmed up more easily, but OTOH, the weather is dicey at best and the facility doesn't have an indoor. So TBD when I'll get my next lesson, but hopefully I have T going back in the right direction again. Tomorrow both girls get a Bemer session and we'll tape Tesla's hind end again.
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:56 pm

Contact and engagement are what I’m exploring with Joplin right now. Her natural way of going is more level in her top line but when ridden in proper contact (and the bit bridle has been a journey too) she is more than capable of collected work. In fact has begun to use it as a bit of an evasion as in lets piaffe instead of canter:/. So not only do I have to have proper contact but I also have to have forward to that feel that is where the transitions come in. Specifically trot canter trot transitions. But I also want to work towards bridleless and even liberty work with these movements. It’s a personal goal of mine with Joplin because of who she is. So that the contact becomes not needed basically

This work shown is very impressive to me here

https://www.facebook.com/reel/234421892 ... e&s=TIeQ9V

Right now what we are working on most is canter and counter canter on the circle and piaffe under saddle. That’s our focus along with riding out in the field and caveletti. Fun to have a canter up the slopes of the hay fields!

Spring storms threatening today though have not materialized quite yet. Though our weather radio woke me up at 430 causing me to reach out to DH who was camping with the cub scout troop he’s cub master of in the path of the nasty storm.

Hopefully the weather stays calm. Poor MS got slammed by this system.

Happy riding all!

blob

Postby blob » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:43 pm

Flight wrote:Blob, so tricky to know what's going on with them. Hope the vet visit helps sort it. I think you said in an earlier post your trainer was moving and you were stuck at first level. Honestly, you're a good enough rider to keep pushing through and working it out yourself up the levels. Then find a trainer to help polish what you've done. It does suck not having a regular trainer, but it does make you figure stuff out.

I feel somewhat capable of moving a horse up through second level, at least, more or less on my own. But I am struggling with RP, not so much in the 'movements' but in getting the constant engagement, power, throughness, and collection I need to be successful beyond first level. He is a far more nuanced ride than MM and then many of my past horses/rides. I really need to get him moving in a different and better way and I feel like I am not at all making progress like we should. It feels like we have really stagnated. And now further stuck with whatever strangeness is going on. Of course, hopefully the vet visit will clarify some things (or not?), but I am in a bit of holding pattern until then. And while objectively speaking April 18th is not that far away, I admit I am feeling impatient.

Khall, you are lucky you did not get too much rain today! We have been dumped on since last night and with all the rain this month in general, the ground is very oversaturated. One of the corners in my horse's pasture washed out making the fence unstable, so they will be indoors for the night.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:19 pm

I feel for you, blob! So tough to not know if it's a young horse/confidence problem (in which case the answer is more & consistent riding) or veterinary issue (in which case it's time off at minimum). Hoping for the best for the both of you.

Thematically speaking I'm also working on throughness & connection, especially within transitions between gaits and within gaits. It's not breaking news, but if we're going to bobble anywhere it starts in the transition and then snowballs from there. So I'm schooling a ton of transitions in shoulder-in, which helps keep the balance, and helps practice which leg leads into the trot from the walk. But it also melts my brain a little bit.

Somehow we're almost halfway through this 2-month challenge. I had said I wanted to work on canter pirouettes and tempi changes; the former are still very much WIP but the transitions in shoulder-fore are helping a ton. The latter... well, I've created a monster. We leveled-up in our balance in the canter, where he's keeping his hips down and withers up and still arcing out into the bridle. All good, except: he's so straight that changes are happening everywhere. Managed to get ones the other day just trying to ride straight down the centerline. So, we're lightly cooling it on the tempis til the excitement dies down a bit.

Seriously. The changes. They're everywhere.

khall

Postby khall » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:57 pm

Ponichiwa that can be challenging! I had an OTTB that would change very easily. I had to sit so quietly on him:)

Blob yikes I know there were some heavy rain and storms overnight. DH was just NE where the tornado touched down. Some nasty cells there. I think we will get rain tonight but sure have not gotten much today after the forecast for such a rainy weekend. Hopefully the worst weather is done. Also if you are interested my DVM friend that does acupuncture and chiro is doing a course of rehabbing horses. I can get you in touch with her if you are interested. She does travel a good bit for her work may come close to your barn. Message me if you are interested

One thing I’ve realized with Joplin the better her engagement and collection the better her contact is

blob

Postby blob » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:23 pm

Thanks, Khall, my vet also does chiro and acupuncture, so I think I am set in that department for now! If i'm being honest, I suspect I am looking at joint issues with RP--my guess would be in the stifle. But flexions/xrays will tell us.
Despite being a greenie, he's not that young and so it's possible he has some arthritic changes coming in.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:20 pm

Transitions! the bane and yet the key to my existence LOL

I never made it to my lesson with Brandon on Thursday. Not due to weather, though we did get more rain, but due to work. When I did work in large animal practice it seemed that colleagues were in name only and everyone still competed against each other, second guessed each other and didn't really work together even if in the same practice. When I transitioned to small animal it seemed to be less of a problem until now. My schedule is a set one due to my personal needs with my mother. Unfortunately I frequently have to go in on my days off in order to follow up on patient care because the doctors who work on my days off refuse to handle or deal with any cases other than their own. Even simple questions pile up in my box as opposed to being dealt with. I've gotten around some of this by giving clients my email address as well as my phone number; but, as luck would have it, a more challenging case needed my attention (scheduled doctor got pissy and the client hates said doctor, oi vey) on Thursday so my lesson was postponed.

Not to be thwarted, since I have a show coming up, I pulled out Pivo and we worked on TRANSITIONS. For Brandon it was a ton of canter-trot-canter transitions requiring consistent, appropriate contact. I also long lined him to see where are issues still lie. Happy to say that I can see him working through his back more and starting to engage. He still is a horse who needs to have the last word at times; but, overall I am pleased with his progress and his muscle development. He still resists accepting the contact honestly into the left rein especially when it's the outside rein but it's better, definitely better. Started lateral work with him over the weekend - shoulder fore, shoulder in and haunches in, mostly at the walk but some at trot too.

For Junior it was the broken record; but, to Chisamba's point, this old broad has been focusing on perfecting that first stride of canter in the walk-canter transition. I feel like we did 500 walk canter transitions between Thursday to Sunday (we did fit in a trail ride and long lining too). The attempts at flying changes were not pretty BUT NO SKIP A CHANGE - Hallelujah! It's kind of sad when you're gleefully accepting a late change because at least it was in the air but it's a better wrong answer and easier for me to correct. It also wasn't a consistent answer. We were definitely all over the map; but, I feel it's coming. The long lining is definitely helping us work through Junior's coordination issues and me seeing the 'dropping of the right shoulder' which in hand I've been able to address and correct to get a really nice transition. It has also made it painfully clear that the ONLY way he can change in the air is if I have him good into the contact before, during and immediately after the transition and the transition must be oh so prompt. This means he's also got to stay through in the back and on my seat (when under saddle).

I have 'rediscovered' my right thigh in order to control his wayward right shoulder. When I watch my videos you can see him trying but at the same time insistent that he does not need to bend in his rib cage or use his hind in the way I want...............he is so engaged, though, that he easily gets stuck and this too is what we worked on...........getting him to realize that he can sit and push. Poles have helped with getting this through to him as well as the longlining - So it's the first and second canter strides working through the trot-canter, walk-canter transitions that have been our focus - perfect, prompt, through transition and then GO! for the next stride, no sucking back or settling into a 'polite' pace because for an overgrown stinker pony that means we don't have to work as hard and energy conservation is ever present. Polite, not overtly disobedient; but, too darn smart for me to convince that flying can be fun and not work ;)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:45 pm

Whoop, I just bought a ticket to the Carl Hester Masterclass in BC October 1st. I have family up on the Olympic Peninsula I've been remiss on visiting, so this will be the extra incentive I need to get it on my calendar and actually go.

Outside of that, I came down with a nasty cold over the weekend. Trying to muster the energy to get out to the barn and at least ride one tonight. I wasn't fully happy with how A looked/felt on Sunday, but she was quite a firecracker on the lunge last night. Our outdoor finally got worked and she was using it as a trampoline. T got her hindquarters taped, so I hope I have the strength in the next day or two to get a proper ride on her and see where things stand. I did find a low NSC feed that she deems acceptable to dilute her supplements and Renew Gold, so hopefully we're on track with the new feeding program. Her E and Selenium tests came back in a good range, and I may be imagining things, but overall her muscle tone seems a little better and less tense.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:33 am

SF sorry you're under the weather. The Masterclass sounds interesting and would love to hear feedback on what you get out of it.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:02 am

Thanks exvet, feeling much better today
Rode both girls. A is good working on two tracks but a little unsteady in the lateral work. Maybe just fitness or she is a little stiff from compensating. T still has her balky moments, but got into canter without a fight today, so that is something. Tomorrow Ill try to get her into the big girl trot that produced the canter earlier In the ride so we can actually do some schooling in all gaits instead of just spending the whole ride on warmup.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:44 am

Ok my brain trust, Saiph is pretty relaxed and confident in her warm up, but as I transition to more demanding work she opens her lips and shows her teeth.

I would think that is related to the hard work of collection, but even other riders have noticed that she seems to do it most commonly when given the long rein, for free walk or extended walk. Is it an anxious habit?

I have been working through it by pushing her sideways into the rein until she relaxes, and then relaxing my leg when her lips are quiet. The result is hugely improved hind end activity and elasticity, but not a hugely improved extended walk.

Thoughts?

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:53 pm

Chisamba wrote:Ok my brain trust, Saiph is pretty relaxed and confident in her warm up, but as I transition to more demanding work she opens her lips and shows her teeth.

I would think that is related to the hard work of collection, but even other riders have noticed that she seems to do it most commonly when given the long rein, for free walk or extended walk. Is it an anxious habit?

I have been working through it by pushing her sideways into the rein until she relaxes, and then relaxing my leg when her lips are quiet. The result is hugely improved hind end activity and elasticity, but not a hugely improved extended walk.

Thoughts?

What is her neck position when she goes to the long rein? Is she using the base of her neck? Is she telescoping out to the bit or is she jutting her nose out? I would be happy with a relaxed though active extended walk...........even when I achieve it with Junior his extended walk is a 6 at best. If I push for more the tension just creeps back in and he becomes stick straight through the body like he swallowed that broom and we lose the swing. He will show his teeth with the tension but you can see and feel it in the base of his neck and he sticks his nose out, pulling himself forward with the forehand.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:12 pm

Just got back from my lesson on Junior. I shared with Molly that I worked Junior on Saturday in the arena really focusing on the basics and tried more than a few changes - many, many, many simple changes and more than a few flying changes, always going back to the basics in between each FC. I used my pivo so I am sure we did not have one skip-a-change but still was and am struggling with the forward. So, we worked for a good 20 minutes on me having to be diligent to keep my legs off of him and totally use the reins to get him round and on the bit first then add leg and expect/demand a big reaction forward. If I didn't get it I would get after him like he was going to die. We worked in both trot and canter. Then once he got the concept that my leg would be off and if it came on it meant FORWARD then I added the FORWARD into the hand and coming round and soft on the bit. It definitely made an impression. Then we addressed the suppleness issue. Since Junior is FINALLY waiting for me to give the aid before trying a flying change she had me work on counter canter with the counter bend and working him until he's soft, on the bit in this posture/position. He is getting much, much better at this and the canter is beginning to look the same on each lead/rein. So......she had me ask for the flying change on the long side starting in counter canter in each direction as long as we maintained the same pace, same contact, same roundness and we had a clean change in each direction (good enough for a 7 per Molly) - Hallelujah!!!!!!!!! so then we quit ;)

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:23 am

Well….this #*&$@ weather. Woke up to 2 inches of VERY wet heavy snow. I hope nobody drowned in the snowflakes…they were so wet. It changed to rain and rained all day :P . Kyra got some hand walking in the rain and we worked on HI in-hand and SW in the barn aisle. Exciting huh.

I hauled Ms. Kyra to the vet Wednesday for her head x-ray. There is stuff in it :D . The verdict is that the vet feels the root of that tooth should come out. If she was older (late 20’s instead of early 20’s) he said he would leave it but I can agree that eventually with the way the tooth has fractured (vertical slabs), eventually the root will get infected and of course that root is just millimeters from the sinus. I am rather surprised it hasn’t gotten infected already. The first slab came off of it 4 years ago. The kicker is there is absolutely nothing to grasp from inside her mouth. Because of the vertical fracturing he felt any tools to drill into the stump to get ahold of it would result in multiple pieces. He felt that going in through the cheek and sinus would ultimately be less traumatic?? Either choice sounds bad. There is currently no signs of infection so it is not urgent. I think I am going to wait until after my mid-May vacation but will probably get it done then. The molars on either side of the broken tooth are tipping in toward where the crown of that tooth should be and I feel if it doesn’t come out soon, it may be really hard to get out however they do it. It doesn’t sound like she should have need too much downtime.

In the meantime, the freaking weather needs to improve. I feel like I up and moved to coastal Oregon or Washington. If it is true around here, temps will go from 50-60 to 100 degrees in June. We certainly need the water and boy have we gotten it.

Susan

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:12 pm

I'm not sure about the teeth thing, Chisamba, but since it is when she is most relaxed, I would say a good thing. I use nosebands for decoration, so Quilla clacks her teeth all of the time, especially in p/p. My first GP horse used to do the same thing. They just don't clench their jaws, so it is more a sign of relaxation. I wish I could get Quinn to do that. I am going back to doing more sort of chiropractic head and neck stretches with her to relax her.

Kyra's Mom --What a pain. Literally. I just had a root canal a couple of weeks ago and had been having pain a few weeks that set off my trigeminal nerve--OMG, I have never felt pain like that in my life. No wonder people with trigeminal neuralgia kill themselves. I was thinking of the Q's mom last year when she had her dental she had a loose tooth the vet just pulled out by hand. he root was SHARP. Touching it lightly to the hand hurt, so poor old lady must have been hiding a world of hurt in every bite. :( I feel so bad.

Well, we finally have some better weather after yet another two days of nonstop pouring. We've got the mud and dealing with all of the repercussions around here down, though. The Q's have been shedding since Jan, but their mom only started a few weeks ago, and she is the best weather predictor, so I think she's saying we're finally getting to the end of this, even though it is colder than normal here for being sunny.

I have a show on Sunday with the same judge where I got that super low score because of the mistake in scoring a coeefficient movement I didn't catch. So, I am using that as impetus to be very careful and correct and make sure I check my scoresheets! Because of all of the rain, there have been a lot scratches and there were low entries anyway. I entered on Sunday (which has the lightest entries) instead of Saturday to test my theory that judging goes up. I am 4 of the 6 FEI rides in the whole show, so we'll see how that goes. And I just got an email they are holding the show in the giant covered! Whoo Hoo! The outdoor arena there is beautiful, but it has a hedge around it and is next to a road, so can be an issue. They did this once before, so the warm up is next to the competition arena in the indoor, which I love! You don't get a long time as only so may people can be in there, but I never do much. Quilla does SUCH great p/p and one tempis at home and in warm up, and then we get into the ring--sigh. So maybe this will mess with her enough she shows what she can do?

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:05 pm

Good luck at the show, Tanga!

Laddie used to roll his lips back and show his teeth, pretty much all the time. Innumerable bit changes, vet and dentist visits, etc., didn't make a darn bit of difference. I eventually decided it was just a habit when he was concentrating, and I could largely ignore it.

I did talk to a judge I was clinicing with about it, also, and she said she had noticed it, but as he wasn't opening his mouth or sticking his tongue out, it wasn't something she would penalize.

Sorry about Kyra's tooth, Susan. What a nuisance.

I am back from vacation and it is still snowing. That wasn't part of the plan. In fact it's now going to snow pretty much continuously from Saturday to Thursday. Much as I'm longing for spring, I'd dreading the mud, flooding and general mayhem that the spring melt is going to cause.

I had my saddle reflocked the other day. I like what she's done. We'd flattened out the right-side panel quite a bit in the last 9 months or so. My body is a bit horrified with the changes, though, especially after not riding for a couple of weeks. Remarkably sore and stiff today.

I also realized that we are at 6 months on the coffin injections and at least 9 months on his hocks. Watching him go this week I could see that he wasn't flexing as well through his left hock as through his right, and he was being a little pissy about collecting after a L to R flying change, and when I rode him he was not overly eager to do a shoulder-in to the right more than once (as in "let me try and kill you so you don't ask me to do that again...") so they are getting done on Tuesday. That should set us up nicely for making some progress this spring, if it ever comes. I realize that we have been stuck in the indoor for nearly 6 months at this point.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:56 pm

Tanga! Wishing you luck and fun at the show.

Ugh Susan, that stinks but based on the description, I would agree too.

Moutaineer, I sure hope spring is going to be here soon. Today seems to be more promising than yesterday was, weather-wise.

Well I rode both guys today. I repeated the exercises from my lesson yesterday. Our attempts at the flying change were all in the air. One was late (his worse side) but the next two (one each direction) were in the air and clean. I think I may have found the answer out of purgatory!

khall

Postby khall » Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:25 am

Fabulous change Al! Chisamba if she does it on a long rein only could it be anxiety about having more freedom? Exvet yeah for Junior!!
SF hopefully T will get back to cantering.

It’s hard to believe others are still having winter we are fully into spring here. I’m itching to plant my veggies. Unfortunately though I’m on R and R for a bit. I took a spill while out doing chores ( not off an horse) and now am dealing with a pinched nerve in my neck. Hurts like a witch causing some numbness too down the arm. The neck rads are gnarly with narrowing between C5,C6 and C7 and bone spurs. Great:(. Not sure when I will get back to riding.

Tanga good luck at the show!

Jingles for spring for those who are dealing with lingering winter weather

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:43 am

Tanga, good luck at the show!

Khall, hope you are feeling better and back in the saddle soon. It does not sound like you would pass a PPE :(

Moutaineer, hope Potters does well with the saddle adjustment and the injections.

I actually had the first really fun ride on T in about the last six weeks tonight. She really does need a full hour+ ride, which I need to remember. My internal clock tends to say we're done at the 45 minute mark, which works well for A, but not the big dragon mare. I think I'm starting to learn the nuance of getting her between my leg and hand much more. On the up side, I have cleaned up a few position faults or bad habits of my own in my quest to get her back on track. Now that canter is back, we need to work on that more in the canter, and I need to get the Ride iQ app fired back up. My regular instructor will be here next weekend, so I'm looking forward to seeing where she points us next. Hopefully we'll be able to ride with her monthly from now until next winter.

This morning the young pro at my barn schooled A over jumps. She was so happy to ride something "non-feral" (her words)for a change and will be jumping her again next Friday. It was fun to see someone else riding her, and I think it will be great for A to have a pilot who is a little more confident to the jumps.

This cold is still dragging me down, but I'm hoping I can kick it in the next couple days and get back on track with the DRT and other workouts.
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:01 am

I'm going to just put this here and let you guess the score. It's in two sections because I got so distracted (not Quinn) by the palm fronds on the roof, I went the wrong direction after the halt. She did mess up the 43s and i was a little conservative, but I very happy with it. For reference, the person before me was a trainer on an Arab who is a very nice lady who would 100% agree with me her ride was a mess--the horse literally did a medley a changes both times, flinging circles instead of pirouettes, and went backwards and spun at some point (palm fronds.) She got 55%.

Start
https://youtu.be/I_yCgyVqYzs
test
https://youtu.be/J6vl2A2LSwk

khall

Postby khall » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:17 pm

Jingles appreciated. Joplin is running 103 fever for some reason

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:10 am

Tanga wrote:I'm going to just put this here and let you guess the score. It's in two sections because I got so distracted (not Quinn) by the palm fronds on the roof, I went the wrong direction after the halt. She did mess up the 43s and i was a little conservative, but I very happy with it. For reference, the person before me was a trainer on an Arab who is a very nice lady who would 100% agree with me her ride was a mess--the horse literally did a medley a changes both times, flinging circles instead of pirouettes, and went backwards and spun at some point (palm fronds.) She got 55%.

Start
https://youtu.be/I_yCgyVqYzs
test
https://youtu.be/J6vl2A2LSwk

I am not nearly qualified or experienced enough to guess a score. I liked your canter work, it looked very accurate. She doesn't have a lot of airtime in the canter, so even though the 3s weren't perfect I thought you went into them with a lot more positive energy at the beginning of the line than the 4s.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:57 pm

khall - jingles for Joplin. I hope she's already showing significant improvement.

Tanga - I think there's a lot to like about your test. Quinn looks like such an obedient worker bee, a really pleasant test. I'd be pleased too. Not going to guess on the score but it should have been a decent one.

I worked on the flying changes under my daughter's watchful eye and she sees significant improvement in both Junior's canter overall and his changes. Still a true work in progress to get them more seamless but all going in a positive direction. She also rode Brandon in the arena for me so I could watch him go. He too has shown a lot of improvement.

Yesterday I had to take the day off in order to get my mother to and from her first cataract surgery which allowed me to ride. I took Junior out on the trail and ran into 3 rattlesnakes. 'Tis the season. Winds were kicking up and were in excess of 60 mph by us so Brandon was ridden in the arena. He was very obedient despite being blown all around the place. The show is in less than 2 weeks. Still lots of work for us to do, like remember our tests LOL.

Hope the weather is improving for everyone. I swear we're going to end up going from winter straight into summer. The flowers are gorgeous but the cooler temps sure aren't helping getting the critters prepared for the baking season.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:06 pm

Jingles khall!! Something tick borne?

Tanga I'll bite and say a 62%. SI was nice but her hindquarters swung out on the circles, obviously the error and the missed tempi line were probably expensive. Loved the extended canter.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:26 pm

It was a long night. Could not get Joplin’s temp under control until I could give her a second dose of banamine at 6 this morning. I cold hoses got ice and alcohol water until she as quite po Ed at me. She’s barely speaking to me now. Vet was out of contact until this morning took blood to run which indicates possible colitis though she’s still eating and manure is normal. The only change is I had started the horses on igr supplement for flies. Anyway she’s now on gentocin temp is normal. Will keep an eye on her but have to take DH for colonoscopy today. Still dealing with my pinched nerve too.

I was a bit freaked with 104.7 temp

I’m about cooked with sick horses and painful neck.

Joplin was soo good the other day working piaffe passage in hand too. Sigh

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:29 pm

khall--I'm glad Joplin is OK. This weather has been wrecking havoc on the horses every which way, so hopefully just passing.

Thanks for the feedback on the test. That's kind of how I felt. Conservative, but I thought the extended canter was fab. I've been working on the little stuff. Aleuronix--I'm with you on the score. That's what I thought it was. So the Arab (no dissing, but he was being a bugger) literally did none of movements and spun away. He got a 55%. I got a 53%. Yeah. "Highlights"--5's on, SI, transitions from ext., SI, volte, walk pirouette, coll. walk, ext. walk, canter trans.,; 5.5's volte, ext. trot., HP, flying change (that sucker was lovely), canter pir.; a 4 on the 4 tempis.; 6's on halt (argh!), HP, walk pr., canter pir., flying change, extended canter (!!!), flying change; 6.5 on the last halt, and a 7 on the changes every 4. Yeah.

This was so whacko I don't even know what to do. The Arab went back in and did another PSG test, much better. She got a 52%--so 3% less than the really bad test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX6M0CY6HE4 This is the I-1. 58% The only 7 is that last canter to trot transition (that was at least an 8.) This test seemed very like the ones at the last show where we won the classes and got 67%.

I saw the scores on Sat., and a lot of 50's, and show not even close to filled. This was the judge, Cristel Carlson, who gave Quinn 63%'s in Oct, and Quilla a 52% on an error free I-2 test and a 2 on the trot half passes because she messed up, and a 56% on an OK GP test. So, I'm bucking it up and going back and going to do better! Right? Even less people on Sunday, and an intro A got a 56%. I did something I have never done in my 40 years of showing dressage--I scratched Quilla. I went in and rode the tests over lunch for myself (and the judge came in at the end and was watching because my tests were right after lunch) and left. I don't mind getting beaned, but none of this even makes sense, and I don't need Quilla to have an average 55% because of one judge.

The comments don't even makes sense to me. There was lot of not engaged stuff, but a lot of little nagging comments to justify. A bizarre one was the ext. walk where she put "Uses nudges rather than spur, horse disrupted." I am NOT spurring my horses to walk! On the canter pirouettes, which were nice, "need to accept weight, more jump" "jumping together, hollow." Ext. canter"needs uphill thrust." You know who she loved? You can see the chestnut warming up in the PSG video. The one the is broken at the 5th or 6th vertebra? His whole test was curled like that, but the legs were going really fast! And the bay who was broken at the 3rd vertebra the whole test at least got over 60.

Not to be bitching, but OMG, this is why I am at the end of the line with showing. One of the reasons I scribed SO much last year is I really wanted to get a perspective. I scribed for her, and she's a really nice lady, but I do not get it. I know Mike Osinksi and scribe for him most years, so I think I have it down. I generally like his perspective. It's an overall score, and it's not about listing errors or bobbles. Any horse can have them. And his comments are very vague, but now I get it. It's about a few major things, like tempo, balance, engagement. (That's usually all I would write for each movement--one word.) Most judges give a lot of detail in each movement and really want to be helpful, but it is too easy to become nitpicky, and these tend to be the lower judges.

Anyway, I was happy with both girls. And I think I am looking a little better? I am REALLY trying to stay relaxed in my seat and not tense at all--I noticed if I sit too deep on either or tighten my butt, they both tend to swap out behind. So I have actually been holding myself out of the saddle a little in things like tempi changes and pirouettes. And I think I look a lot better in my shoulders here--I know I tend to slump them forward and "give" when I get nervous.

Thanks for reading my book. I will hopeful get the scores I need for the champs in the few local shows for champs. and not have to go looking for "higher" judges because the money for gas to drive is too much. I hope all of the detail is helpful to others to learn!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:30 pm

I'm so glad to hear that Joplin's temp has dropped, khall. Is the vet doing a blood culture too?

We just passed the three year anniversary of Maia's first bout with mastitis ... and a 103.9°F fever that lingered for days. Not a fun time.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:38 pm

Unfortunately 6 hours into banamine and it’s going back up. Did not do a blood culture. I’ll ask. For those of you who know about dypirone best for reducing fever in horses it’s back on the market. My vet ordered some. She said she had two in with coronavirus showing similar symptoms. Was on banamine every 8 hours. Gastroguard is warranted I do believe. Poor pony was feeling pretty punky

Also worrisome with possibly Gaila early in foal. When it rains it pours

Not much I can do right now. With DH for colonoscopy. Left banamine for my boarder this give at 2.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:16 pm

Khall-- fingers crossed for Joplin, Gaia, and you! Hope everybody pulls through this happy and healthy.

Tanga, I do understand the showing frustration. So much of the final score is dependent on where your gaits start. 6 mover, well, about 62% is your ceiling and only if you nail the halts and reinback or walk pirouettes (if the test has them) and make no mistakes throughout the other work. 6.5? Suddenly 67% is in reach.

That said, there's an element of fluidity that I struggle with as well and I'm confident could add a good 3-5% to my scores. But it's so hard to remember that in the heat of the moment: I just throw all subtlety out of the window and give an Olga half-halt.

Anyway, that is to say, I had a recent show at 3-3 where despite making a significant improvement since the previous show (and with Queso's hock pain sorted), I ended up with a 59% anyway, almost exactly the same as the previous show. I had video of both and what clearly got me demerits was the lack of fluidity. Hit the gait score, bc my huge Olga half halt also manifests itself like unevenness bc Queso tries so hard to give me what I want immediately, submission (confidence, ease of movements) and correct and effective use of aids.

So, basically, hurt everything, everywhere.

I made a tweak to my approach to ringcraft and got a 65% in the second test. This stuff is so hard!

Anyway, bc I am a masochist, apparently, signed up for another show for the weekend after next. Wish me luck in not riding like a Neanderthal. And also because it looks like it's going to be a VERY wet week and also Queso pulled a shoe. So preparation levels will not be high.

That said, question for the crew: what does your training routine look like? How much heavy schooling do you do in a typical week, and how dependent is it on the season or on the level (i.e. differences between USEF vs FEI readiness)?

khall

Postby khall » Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:22 pm

For me and Joplin when we are hitting our stride at least 3 times a week heavy schooling with emphasis on lots of canter. Lunge over caveletti once a week or under saddle. Ride in the field at least once a week. Twice if possible. In hand which can include the caveletti day ( so caveletti and wih same day) at least twice a week. The wih always incorporates piaffe and passage work. The US at least once if not twice. We aren’t drilling it US but definitely touching on it now. We work it harder in hand. Day before yesterday was doing 4-5 steps on the spot forward to small passage back to on the spot. Halt. Reward ask again.

I’ve also started HI in hand coming towards me in the trot. We’ve had walk for a long time but trot is HARD. With the piaffe work it’s much easier now. Left hi easier than right hi in hand.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:31 pm

Fingers crossed for Joplin.

Maia's been sidelined. She walked in fine, but I realized she had a puffy rear cannon when I was brushing her. No heat, no visible injury, no soreness in her hoof. So we did about 20 seconds of lunging — lame both directions at the trot. Cold hosed and bute, then I tossed her back out in the pasture. She does NOT handle being inside — spends the entire time pacing, spinning, and rearing. Of course, she cantered off with a distinct limp when I turned her out :roll:
Last edited by heddylamar on Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:29 am

Fingers crossed for Joplin and Maia!

Ponichiwa, we are in full training, which is 4x45 minute work sessions a week. Theoretically, an extra weekend day of piddling around, but we haven't done much of that this winter. Once we can get back outside, I will be making that happen as 2 days off over the weekend and he's a wild man on Mondays, which is no fun for anyone and a bit of a waste of a training session. He's pretty fit. All the horses in full training are on much the same schedule, from babies to GP, but the intensity of the sessions varies considerably.

Potters had his hocks and coffins injected today so will be off til Monday. I suspect we'll have a very wild man at that point!

Return to “Dressage Training”