"What's for dinner?"

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Re: "What's for dinner?"

Postby Rockabilly » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:28 pm

Fresh vegetables are over for us so no more yummy tomatoes. My husband did ask me to make old-fashioned fried apple pies. I made them this afternoon with fresh Granny Smith apples, a bit of butter, a bit of sugar and some cinnamon and nutmeg. I'm sure some of y'all have heard of fried apples pies. Dinner tonight will be a nice sandwich on my homemade bread with the pies for dessert. :D

silk
Herd Member

Postby silk » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:59 pm

Rockabilly wrote:Fresh vegetables are over for us so no more yummy tomatoes. My husband did ask me to make old-fashioned fried apple pies. I made them this afternoon with fresh Granny Smith apples, a bit of butter, a bit of sugar and some cinnamon and nutmeg. I'm sure some of y'all have heard of fried apples pies. Dinner tonight will be a nice sandwich on my homemade bread with the pies for dessert. :D

Rockabilly, are they sort of like a donut? pastry/dough around filling then deep fried? Sounds amazing, regardless!

Last night, we had a sort of curry... Briefly stir-fried veges, with some left over curry (chicken with sauce from a jar). I spiced it up a little with some massaman curry paste. Delicious!

Tonight, something with steak and pasta. Maybe cheese or parsley sauce.

Sunday, something quick and easy but delicious, I have another date ;) after a full weekend of house renovation, trimming hooves, and travel, hence "quick and easy"!!!

heddylamar
Herd Member

Postby heddylamar » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:15 am

Tonight was baingan bharta and bhindi masala :D

The fried apple pies I've had were pastry not a donut. Is that what yours are, Rockabilly?

Canyon
Herd Member

Postby Canyon » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:38 pm

I have been harvesting my bountiful crop of basil and making large batches of pesto. So pesto pizza on a cauliflower crust two nights ago, and pesto on sautéed summer squash last night.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:41 pm

silk wrote:
Rockabilly wrote:Fresh vegetables are over for us so no more yummy tomatoes. My husband did ask me to make old-fashioned fried apple pies. I made them this afternoon with fresh Granny Smith apples, a bit of butter, a bit of sugar and some cinnamon and nutmeg. I'm sure some of y'all have heard of fried apples pies. Dinner tonight will be a nice sandwich on my homemade bread with the pies for dessert. :D

Rockabilly, are they sort of like a donut? pastry/dough around filling then deep fried? Sounds amazing, regardless!

No, they are nothing like a donut. Maybe similiar to your hand held meat pies. I really don't know because I've never seen or had one.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:04 pm

heddylamar wrote:Tonight was baingan bharta and bhindi masala :D

The fried apple pies I've had were pastry not a donut. Is that what yours are, Rockabilly?

Fried apple and peach pies are a very southern thing. Sometimes I wonder how the old folks came up with some of these things and what I think, but haven't proved is that the old folks made do with everything and no leftovers. I think how these fried pies got started is that someone had the idea of using biscuit dough, maybe leftover. Then they had dried fruit from their trees to have in the winter. They put them together and fried the pies and what you get is crunchy, fruity deliciousness.

I make mine by making a biscuit dough type to enclose the fruit. I use buttermilk. After I've made the dough in a bowl I pinch off small balls, lay them on a dusting of flour on the counter and roll them into about a 8 inch circle. I take about 2 Tablespoons or a little more of the fruit that I prepared earlier and allowed to cool and place it at one end of the circle. I fold the circle over to make a half moon and seal the edges by pressing a fork along the edges. It is a distinctive design. I make all of them at one time. Then I fry them in hot oil. I don't like dried apples so I used fresh Granny Smith apples. For me the dough is always the same and it's not like a pie crust. Probably almost any small fruit filling would work.

heddylamar
Herd Member

Postby heddylamar » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:17 pm

Rockabilly wrote:

Fried apple and peach pies are a very southern thing. Sometimes I wonder how the old folks came up with some of these things and what I think, but haven't proved is that the old folks made do with everything and no leftovers. I think how these fried pies got started is that someone had the idea of using biscuit dough, maybe leftover. Then they had dried fruit from their trees to have in the winter. They put them together and fried the pies and what you get is crunchy, fruity deliciousness.

I make mine by making a biscuit dough type to enclose the fruit. I use buttermilk. After I've made the dough in a bowl I pinch off small balls, lay them on a dusting of flour on the counter and roll them into about a 8 inch circle. I take about 2 Tablespoons or a little more of the fruit that I prepared earlier and allowed to cool and place it at one end of the circle. I fold the circle over to make a half moon and seal the edges by pressing a fork along the edges. It is a distinctive design. I make all of them at one time. Then I fry them in hot oil. I don't like dried apples so I used fresh Granny Smith apples. For me the dough is always the same and it's not like a pie crust. Probably almost any small fruit filling would work.

I've had the pastry variety, but didn't realize that they were also made with biscuit dough. Where were these all the years I lived in GA?? I've got to try that! My pastry skills are seriously challenged :D

silk
Herd Member

Postby silk » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:39 pm

Rockabilly wrote:

Ahhh! like Calzone (Italian fried pizza). Drool!!!!

Our meat pies aren't deep fried. Usually something like flaky pastry, in a tin/mould, with filling then a lid/top, and baked.

https://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl ... FXoECAQQBg

Return to “The Observation Lounge”