"What's for dinner?"

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: "What's for dinner?"

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:17 pm

Yes, the garden is pumping out food now!

Last night, I roasted veggies from the garden (eggplant, zuchini, peppers, onions) and then smoked a side of salmon. Served with a lemon tahini sauce and of course some sliced heirloom tomatoes. Desert = French melon

fallingwaters
Greenie

Postby fallingwaters » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:30 pm

I'm going to try my hand at Swedish meatballs today. There's lots of fresh parsley, basil and tomatoes in the garden, so caprese salad is also on the menu--again lol.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:36 pm

Drool-worthy dinner tonight: I seasoned a couple lamb shanks (I get amazing lamb from next door to Obie's barn) in alaea salt and white peppercorns, seared them off and then put them in the Instant Pot with a bottle of robust red wine, garlic and herbs and slow cooked for about 6 hours till falling off the bone. Made a gravy with the remaining sauce, put the shredded meat back in, then served with horseradish.

For a side dish, parnsips and leeks from the garden in a gratin with pepper, herbs and sharp cheddar. I have a new shallow enameled pan with a good lid, so I slow cooked this in the oven for about 4 hours. Nice and creamy, but also a little caramelized on top. I have tons of leeks and parsnips right now, and will be doing this one again!
The UDBB member known as AQHA Hunter

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:29 am

Chicken thigh cutlets, browned. Spaghetti. Onions, lightly fried, with some garlic-balsamic preserve I made a long time ago (just the dregs in the jar rinsed out with water). Salt, pepper, and about 200g of frozen spinach.

Pretty damn delicious meal for a jet-lagged cook!

Linden
Herd Member

Postby Linden » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:40 am

Egg salad sandwich (hospital food)
"Fix things going forward." LR

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:41 pm

Linden wrote:Egg salad sandwich (hospital food)

Well egg salad sounds fairly hospital proof!

Here's a recipe from the Seattle Times many years ago (if yellowing paper is any indication!) - just a payback for some of the terrific recipes I've gotten here. It is very good and also vegetarian:
Santa Fe Stew with Chipotle Cream
1 T olive oil
1 med onion peeled/finely chopped
2 med cloves garlic, peeled/minced
1 med red bell pepper, stemmed/seeded/coarsely chopped
1 each med Anaheim and Poblano chili, stemmed/seeded/finely chopped
2 cups tomato sauce combined w/1 cup water
1/2 half teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cups peeled and cubed (~3/4 inch) squash (we used butternut and steam it but not to mush)
1 can (~14 oz) yellow hominy, rinsed/drained
1 can (~14 oz) each black beans & pinto beans, drained/rinsed
1 cup frozen corn kernels, defrosted
2 tablespoons lime juice
(1 tablespoon cilantro if you like)
Chipotle cream (I just make up how much sour cream needed and add chipotle to taste, considerably more than this!)
1 cup sour cream
1/4 teaspoon mashed chipotle in adobo sauce

1. Heat olive oil over medium heat, add onion, bell peper, chilies, garlic - cover and cook ~10 minutes, adding a couple of tablespoons of water if they begin to stick (I just cook until soft, add garlic last minute or so)
2. Add tomato sauce/water combo, cinnamon and cumin. Simmer 10 minutes. Add (steamed) squash, cover and cook 10 minutes. Add hominy, both beans, and corn. Cover and cook 10 minutes. Stir in lime juice (and cilantro, if used).
3. Stir together sour cream and chipotle to taste and dollop on top.

We have this with cornbread, it is terrific and just deepens in flavor overnight.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:25 pm

Covid 19 self quarantining ("hunkering down") casserole recipes:

Cauliflower/Cheese I don't know if veggies in this context freeze well, perhaps someone else can answer? I substitute a Mex cheese mix for the Parmesan, and have been know to use a tiny bit of cayenne.
https://www.foodnetwork.ca/shows/barefo ... tin/15433/

heddylamar
500 post plus club

Postby heddylamar » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:23 am

Koolkat wrote:Covid 19 self quarantining ("hunkering down") casserole recipes:

Cauliflower/Cheese I don't know if veggies in this context freeze well, perhaps someone else can answer? I substitute a Mex cheese mix for the Parmesan, and have been know to use a tiny bit of cayenne.
https://www.foodnetwork.ca/shows/barefo ... tin/15433/

Are you talking about freezing the cooked casserole? Or just the cauliflower? I wouldn't freeze the casserole ... maybe leftovers as a test?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:07 am

I think the cauliflower would get watery when it thaws out. I make cauliflower rice and freeze it raw, and when it thaws, I put it in a tea towel and wring a ton of water out of it.

Yesterday I made a big pot of broccoli and cheddar soup, and we're having leftovers of that tonight. Not super exciting, but it was tasty and I have enough to take to work for a few days' lunches too.
The UDBB member known as AQHA Hunter

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:42 am

OK, thanks for that ! I was talking about freezing the casserole. I'd like to make some casserole like dishes for freezing and thawing at a later date.

heddylamar
500 post plus club

Postby heddylamar » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:46 am

In general dairy-heavy dishes get very grainy in the freezer, and, if you reheat too fast, end up separating. Add in the way that cauliflower holds liquid, and it's a soupy disaster.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:19 pm

Tuesday: Sage + milk roast chicken with roasted balsamic cherry tomatoes and roasted potatoes
Zucchini soup Wednesday
Risotto with chicken and vegetables last night (thanks to the in-house chef ;) he had mushroom risotto)
Something with potatoes tonight

Cooking out of the store cupboard/garden as we are officially in lockdown in NZ for 4 weeks (minimum!)

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:19 pm

OK, didn't freeze the cauliflower casserole, just ate it for 3 days (third day with meat, DH was about to faint). . .

And on day 26, jello, cheerios, and Vienna sausage:

day 26.jpg
day 26.jpg (13.78 KiB) Viewed 47 times

Just kidding, not my work of art!

heddylamar
500 post plus club

Postby heddylamar » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:47 pm

O.M.G.

That is amazing!

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:14 am

Pretty happy with yesterday's effort. I really wanted something Thai so turned a bunch of leftover odds and sods into a really delicious Massaman curry. Yum yum yum! About half home-grown to boot (chicken, pumpkin, potatoes, zucchini, celery, lemongrass).

Return to “The Observation Lounge”