It's been a year since Definitely Dressage was formed

Chancellor
Site Admin

It's been a year since Definitely Dressage was formed

Postby Chancellor » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:00 pm

Hard to believe, isn't it?

Earlier this month, I purged users who had signed up back then but hadn't ever logged in since. It doesn't mean they can't rejoin. But I wanted a semi-accurate count of users. We are under 500 which is a bit of a disappointment to me.

What can we do to attract more users?

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Re: It's been a year since Definitely Dressage was formed

Postby boots-aregard » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:35 pm

Oh, wow.

Well, when I first signed up for the whole UDBB/COTH Forums thing, I was deep in my competitive period, and really used a lot of the tips and recommendations folks made about horse keeping, clinics, problem solving, etc. I'm not sure _how_ exactly, but if you could spread the word that there is a wealth of knowledge available to people with questions, that's what attracted me at first and might attract others.

You could try a "sign up your friends" campaign for all the members here.

Maybe a picture subdivision? Don't people like posting pictures? You could put out a rotating contest on other forms of media (Facebook, I'm thinking) saying "Post your Arabian Costume here!" and for a month, that's what you host. Then you take it down (bandwidth!!) and do a "Post your foal pictures here!" for a month. If you rotate it, you don't have to keep all those bits and bytes, but you might get people who sign up for the fun of it and stay for the talk?

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:53 pm

So, as of this moment, I see a total of 487 users. Divide that into the total number of posts and each person posted, on average 48.5 posts over the course of the year. Less than a post a week per member. I think maybe we could all pledge to do some "stimulus" posts that could be "advertised" on FB and other social media sites. "Tell us about your best day with horses," "Tell us about your worst day" "What's your favorite fly mask?" etc. It may stimulate existing members to join in and draw new people in for a look see.

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:21 pm

i knew the anniversary was soon. I remember hitting refresh on my iPad every 10 seconds the day UDBB shut down. But then this BB rose, and I like it so much better here. I know several old UDBBs are now on CoH and I have no clue how to lure new posters.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:55 pm

You know thete is a 500 or more post club, but not 1000..
;).

Would a ddbb facebook page with snippets of, this week on Ddbb do any thing?
Last edited by Chisamba on Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:44 pm

I don't know the answer, but I hope the answer presents itself, because I like it here, but I do wish it was more active.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:34 am

I'm happy here too, though I do still miss a few of the old regulars and Mike Matson.

I see some of them on coth but I wish they were here more.

I try to post weekly, but I do get discouraged when I post, get a few answers, I post a response, and then the post goes silent.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:09 am

Ditto what M&M said. I will resolve to try to post more. And I really appreciate your efforts, Chancellor, of setting it up and keeping it going... a year already?!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:18 pm

Me three! (or four of five?) Summer is my busy outside time. I'm always more likely to be on a computer as the weather turns colder. I'll try to drum up some friends too.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:23 pm

I too wish this board was more active and miss the supportive aspect as well as SOME of the like minded people that were on the UDBB. That is not to say that there were aspects of the UDBB I don't miss; but, there were definitely periods of time when the generosity of spirit, knowledge and support really came through in many of the posts. I see much of the same here but I think venues like facebook have appealed more to quite a few and there's only so much time in a given day. I, of course, am guilty of not posting much. Since my divorce, I've increased my workload, lost my photog (daughter left and then moved back in but lost the desire to take pictures), lost my main rides so wasting money on competition doesn't make sense and am simply biding my time when I can get back in the real mix. I'm still riding and while I make little strides forward here and there none of it is really post worthy. I think there were more than a few of us that hit that drought and some of us will make it back and some won't. If a thread catches my eye or someone calls me out, I post; but otherwise I prefer to read, check in and at least find some comfort in reading/living through others' posts.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:57 pm

Ex-vet, if little strides were not post worthy I would never post! So many of us are looking for support for the little things. Please post your success no matter how small you think they are.

Although I have a FB account, I've never found anything on it that is as remotely wonderful as this bulletin board. FB does not gather people; it makes you go look for stuff. And if I see one more ad(d) for a horse with "good gates" I'm going to throw something at FB.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:00 pm

Chisamba wrote:You know thete is a 500 or more post club, but not 1000..
;).

There is now!

You are the single member of the "Bringing Life to the DDBB club"

demi

Postby demi » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:28 pm

What to write....? This post will probably seem disjointed but if I dont just start writing I never will.

I like this board. Like others, I also miss some of the posters from UDBB. I didn't contribute back then, but I read sometimes often and sometimes not. I think I joined UDBB around 2005. I remember and liked Pammy, Horsewomen, Mike Matson, Silverbridge, Old Hag (what a name!) and others who's names aren't coming to mind at the moment. I'm glad we still have galopp.

I dont like Facebook for several reasons. Maybe I'm just too old. One of the things about FB is that it seems so impersonal. Like everyone tells everything to anyone and everyone.

There is the time issue. I don't want to spend a lot of time writing on DDBB because I am 63 and realizing how valuable time is now. But maybe that's why people use FB. Even young ones today have so much to do that time is scarce, and on FB you can just jot stuff off in a nanosecond. But I dont want to just scribble out stuff on the run.

I like the training forum a lot and that's where i miss those posters from UDBB. The OL is good, too, but that takes even longer to respond. It's probably just me...but maybe not.

I read about Duffy passing and felt so sad but didnt respond. I just read about Rockabilly's Cloud and very closely related to it. I had to really control myself not to cry. And of course the trials and tribulations that everyone goes through and I want to respond but dont want to just jot out a few quick words, because these people are worth so much more than just a few quick words. So I just don't respond.

I need to update my mare's progress on the training thread. I need to tell Shasta's story after reading about Cloud. I want to tell her story not just for her, or me, but for Cloud and Rockabilly and anyone who can relate.

I need to finish cleaning stalls, ride Emma, and then I have about two hours of mowing. I have a Christian meeting tonight and wont get home till late.

The time issue again. Is there an answer?!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:18 pm

Chancellor wrote:
Chisamba wrote:You know thete is a 500 or more post club, but not 1000..
;).

There is now!

You are the single member of the "Bringing Life to the DDBB club"

I see it.
Last edited by Chisamba on Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:38 am

demi wrote:

I need to update my mare's progress on the training thread. I need to tell Shasta's story after reading about Cloud. I want to tell her story not just for her, or me, but for Cloud and Rockabilly and anyone who can relate.

Thank You so much. Please do share Shasta's story. I would love to read it.

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:23 am

Demi, I'm a bit hopeless in trying to say what I want to say, and I worry that I'm too brief (especially in the sad posts) but even a line or two is a contribution. I think most of us know it can be too time consuming to write a lot.

I'm really enjoying the training forum. Maybe because it's not too populated?? I stopped posting on the UDBB as there were too many fights about riding on there!

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:03 pm

More activity should bring more activity. I tend to visit every day but being the sort of person who doesn't really like my own writing and has been known to take 20 minutes to write, revise, rewrite, revise, revise revision, etc for a two sentence post or email I have difficulties making my own contributions. I will try to do better :D

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:48 pm

Flight wrote:Demi, I'm a bit hopeless in trying to say what I want to say, and I worry that I'm too brief (especially in the sad posts) but even a line or two is a contribution. I think most of us know it can be too time consuming to write a lot.

It's just so hard to know WHAT to say. But, think of it this way: it's practice for the real-life events we may all too soon find ourselves facing.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:05 pm

Flight wrote:I'm really enjoying the training forum. Maybe because it's not too populated?? I stopped posting on the UDBB as there were too many fights about riding on there!

Me too, specifically the 8 week threads.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:02 pm

I'm happy to write endless posts about Ariel but that would drive people off. LOL

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:08 pm

Thanks Chancellor, for all of your efforts, first of all.

We are a lucky crew to be able to have somewhere to post. I do not write often, because here I am with my aged horse (21) and a couple of others, practising my circles, working hard to be a better and more tactful rider, and it is kind of a lonely business. But, then I look at Exvet and that GORGEOUS Junior - and admire what she has done with the Stinker pony to no end. Chisamba is simply amazing. I peruse Galopp's posts, and worry about whether I am achieving that folding of the hind leg joints ... well, I am doing my best, I assure you. But most importantly, Moutaineer and others inspired me to get into the ring this year after an 11 year absence; and we did "ok" at second level. I have with the assistance of posts on this board made the decision to invest in "Sundance" arena bases to see if I can keep my beautiful dressage arena from blowing over and apart during our fierce winds. I so admire Demi for staying motivated through that debilitating Texas heat - I simply cannot imagine - and I know there were lots of non-riding times BUT she has a couple of lovely horses and it is really fun, now, to see some progress. Dressur - whose pictures inspire us to work on position, position, position - just like Arthur Kottas said! Rosie B and Backyarder and TeresaA are all from up this way and we are all working away diligently on our horse pursuits as time and other scarce resources permit.

I find the bulletin board helpful and motivating. I thank those of you who have generously and in good spirit engaged in respectful conversations, and may be each of us could find one or two others to add to this community?

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:20 pm

Ah, Calvin! Glad to have been of service! But you guys all inspire me to try harder as well.

I like that this is a quieter and more "familial" place.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:05 pm

It does have a kinder atmosphere. I agree Mountaineer. Probably does not help Chancellor.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:32 pm

I just get so darn BUSY! I check in and sometimes I mean to write things but then... ya know, life.

I think I posted about my new job, on the back of a whinge about my old (well, still current - down to my last three days!) one... So I'm in the middle of sorting out what's happening with my horses, and deciding about when to move furniture, etc.
Last Weds afternoon, my neighbour's 87yo Spanish mother (she speaks no English and I speak no Spanish) comes over in a panic. I went back with her and soon realised the damn house is burning. The house is on fire. Actual fire. With flames and smoke and holy shit what do we DO?!

Soooo I ring the fire brigade, keep lady out of the house (even though I speak no Spanish and she speaks no English, I knew damn well she wanted me to go in and get things - there were precious things inside - it was a tragedy - *but* there was Just. No. Way ANYONE was going in for anything), then we pretty much just sat and watched the house burn down while we waited for the fire fighters. Fuck me, excuse my language, that is the scariest thing I've ever observed, and I hope to never, ever, ever see it happen again. You truly don't understand how fast and how ferocious fire can be until you are sitting there watching it consume a house in about 25 mins flat. Incredibly sobering.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:33 am

Gosh, scary story Silk, you have just made me feel 100% better about the hassles we are having installing a fire sprinkler system in our new (being constructed) house! It is going to be worth the cost and effort, because sure as shit the fire service won't get up here in time if there was ever a fire.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:57 pm

agreeing with Calvin, Mountaineer and others that we are lucky to have DDBB. I had an initial post hot weather energy surge and then it got hot again and my energy for riding just went poof. I was thinking maybe it was time to just quit riding. But I feel encouraged again after the latest posts in the training forum. I like this smaller version of BB, but that isn't to say I don't welcome new posters.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:29 pm

Anne wrote:Gosh, scary story Silk, you have just made me feel 100% better about the hassles we are having installing a fire sprinkler system in our new (being constructed) house! It is going to be worth the cost and effort, because sure as shit the fire service won't get up here in time if there was ever a fire.

Yup. Scary scary scary. Best of luck installing your sprinklers - to be honest even if the fire trucks had got there the same time as me, I don't think they would have been able to do much. Fires move SO damn quick: doubles in size every minute.
I'm fire-wary at the moment and have asked my new flat to upgrade smoke alarms etc. The poor dog looked at the humans sideways when they lit the pot belly fire in our house the following day ... "human, do you know what you're doing?" (it was an electrical fault that caused the house fire, but the dog was concerned nonetheless).

demi

Postby demi » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:56 pm

Rockabilly wrote:
demi wrote:

Thank You so much. Please do share Shasta's story. I would love to read it.

I found Shasta on a cold, rainy day in November 1998. I had my Boston Terrier, Moxie, in the car with me and Shasta was on the side of the road ripping through a MacDonald's bag. She was skinny and shivering and obviously lost. I had to stop. I put Moxie in the back seat and patted the seat next to me. Shasta jumped in immediately, whimpering at the same time. That was the last time she ever got in a car willingly, we think because she had been dumped from a car and never wanted to be dumped again. She was that smart. She was also gorgeous. A large obvoiusly purebred Rat Terrier.

I took her home and told DH I would find her a home. I didn't want her because she was about the same age as Moxie (1 1/2 yrs) and they did not like each other. Plus we had a Wiemeraner and two cats. DH wouldn't hear of it. He said we could work it out. So she stayed.

She was a wonderful little girl but there was always some contention between her and Moxie. I admit that I liked Moxie best but I really, really tried not to show it. DH had the Wiem that was clearly "his", so poor little Shasta was always third fiddle. Don't get me wrong though. She was pampered, loved and very well cared for.

We lost Moxie to cancer in 2014 and Shasta was finally "number one" for another 2 years. She started going downhill healthwise this year and we finally had her put down in June...

In her youth she climbed trees up above our heads!. She ran like a greyhound and trotted like a highstepping carriage horse. She protected both DH and I from strange people with a ferocious growl even though she was a big chicken who hid behind us if the stranger got too close. She protected us from scorpions that got in the house. She had a special bark that she used ONLY for scorpion intruders. If she did that bark we had no doubt that there was a scorpion we needed to find and kill.

Shasta is the dog in the middle.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:25 pm

demi, Shasta was a lovely girl and what a leap of faith she took jumping into your car. Somehow she must have known about you. They all have stories.
Thank You for sharing Shasta's.

VBOpie
Herd Member

Postby VBOpie » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:39 am

I love Definitely Dressage and am another one who is really glad it's here. I don't think we have the level of activity of the UDBB, but it's like we are the "survivors" - and I do think DD is a kinder, gentler board. Maybe it's because we survived the transition and realize how lucky we are to have a board like this. I look at CotH, too, but it just doesn't seem to have the same sense of community - to me, anyway.

I know there has been recent discussion about posting more. I need to update my thread in the Seniors lounge about "How much work for a 26 yr. old." The purchase is under way, so I don't want to say anything lest I jinx it (have I said too much already :D ?) I also want to post some pictures of my pets. Looks like I have my weekend homework cut out for me. Stay tuned!

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:24 am

Thank you for giving us a place to connect, Chancellor.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”