Trying again, hope this is the one!

Topic for older horses and older riders
Backyarder
Greenie

Re: Trying again, hope this is the one!

Postby Backyarder » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:40 am

Kathy J, my instructor is always telling me to rest my chin on her poll...and believe me I try...I just have so many bad habits. I could have some arthritis in my neck, probably do from years of pruning Christmas trees and looking up...but I think it is mostly habit...sometimes my neck gets very ridgid while I'm doing it...so many things to finesse!

My first canter on this mare was the day I tried her, I had not cantered in two years, my instructor was coaching me and she got me on a circle doing posting two beats , sitting two beats and then told me to ask for canter...I trusted her because she knew the horse and I just did it...all was well...after I got her home for some I got more nervous, maybe because I ride alone most of the time..I made myself suck it up and do it....so I just canter when I feel balanced and the moment seems right...at first I was happy to get a few strides...now I can do a few circles and go around the track...the last two rides were all w/t.

kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby kande50 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:48 am

Backyarder wrote:Kathy J, my instructor is always telling me to rest my chin on her poll...and believe me I try...I just have so many bad habits. I could have some arthritis in my neck, probably do from years of pruning Christmas trees and looking up...but I think it is mostly habit...sometimes my neck gets very ridgid while I'm doing it...so many things to finesse!

Do you feel like you're looking in the direction you want your horse to bend, or does it seem to be independent of that?

Backyarder
Greenie

Postby Backyarder » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:02 pm

It's always in the direction I want the horse to bend although exaggerated sometimes and of coures looking down too...

kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby kande50 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:29 pm

Backyarder wrote:It's always in the direction I want the horse to bend although exaggerated sometimes and of coures looking down too...

Of course, as my focus is always on my hands and the horse, so naturally I look down. :-) Although I think that might be getting better as we've started moving forward more freely, because we have to watch where we're going so we don't run into the walls and stuff.

Backyarder
Greenie

Postby Backyarder » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:17 am

Sometimes I wish I had other people to ride with...might make me look where I'm going and sit more even...and would be good practise for the warm up ring!!
Hope to get to some clinics next year!

Backyarder
Greenie

Postby Backyarder » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:42 pm

actually now that I think about it, my first steps of canter were brought on by a big forward spook...my husband was folding a tarp and she scooted forward and took two or three canter strides..scared me a lot but then I thought ..hey ..it was only cantering and she stopped when I asked her....so I asked for the canter again and got it...did only a few strides but that got me going..after that I did a little most rides.I still get uptight about it ...I want it to be a non issue...soon!

Hayburner
500 post plus club

Postby Hayburner » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:58 pm

Backyarder - Good for you in getting that canter and the courage to keep trying. I think your right, knowing she'll stop helps build your confidence in your mare.

I am still not cantering - I did canter a small amount last year but when I realized I am not good at steering - I stopped asking and decided to learn more basics before I cantered again. I had someone (trainer) riding her when she came off her injury and he said her canter is her best gait. Yet, I'm still afraid to give it a try not because I don't trust her but because I don't try myself in doing it Right.

Backyarder
Greenie

Postby Backyarder » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:56 pm

Hayburner, I'm still not as far in my confidence as I'd like and now winter has set in and I won't be riding much...so I hope when I start up again I can n pick up where I left off .

KathyK
500 post plus club

Postby KathyK » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:57 pm

You sure found yourself a lovely partner, Backyarder. Now that spring is approaching, I hope you will continue to keep us up to date on your progress (and adventures).

Return to “Senior Horses/Senior Riders”