Are we ready for the July August goals thread?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Moutaineer
500 post plus club

Re: Are we ready for the July August goals thread?

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:22 pm

It's funny how often I read these updates and nod my head that yes, this is what's happening to me, too. In this case, it's Dresseur and Chisamba ringing that bell!

I think Kimba and Laddie have been on the phone to each other.

He's been an exceptionally heavy and rather miserable and unhappy ride for the past couple of weeks. He's a generous soul on the whole and with the benefit of hindsight, I think I've been trying too hard and it's been sucking the fun out of it for both of us. It's also been stinking hot and unpleasant, so having bailed on the show last weekend I gave us a few days off to regroup (and I needed to get some other real life stuff sorted out, too.)

Last night it was cooler, and he came out fresh and happy, light in the hand, balanced and using his hind end. The angels sang, and I rode for 25 minutes, and got off while I was ahead...

khall
500 post plus club

Postby khall » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:39 pm

Well I had a go at the T C SF transitions. Rip was like you want me to do WHAT? Like Flights it was a bit all over the place initially but by the last two each side he was so much smoother and holding his line. What I found difficult was asking for the C transition while in SF seat position (a bit of a learning curve there) and it was harder to get the T transition from my seat because again I was in SF position and not my usual seat position. For T from C I square my seat, kind of hard to do that from SF! But we both figured it out and it ended up riding nicely. The spurs are helping me tremendously with Rip making him so much easier to ride plus he just came out to work today which I appreciated very much.

I know, no pics and no video, I just cannot afford to fork out $750 for a soloshot and my barn help has quit so now I am out riding by myself all the time. Ah well, had an absolutely lovely ride and then had to tend to a sick foster dog.

heddylamar
Herd Member

Postby heddylamar » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:31 pm

I spent half of today's ride wondering why my horse was intermittently lame AND trying to leap out from underneath me, and there I was with no oh-shit-strap. Yeah. Silly mare. She was anticipating the canter from the moment my butt hit the saddle. Once I figured her out, we worked well.

Tsavo
500 post plus club

Postby Tsavo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:03 am

I did the first thing that I can credibly call a hill day today since last August. W/T/C. And just because he felt good I experimented with laterals... SI up and travers down in walk. He had no issue with this. Because of that I am going to add lateral work on the flat in trot and canter now.

I am probably going much slower than an experienced rehab trainer. But I am not going to risk him not wanting to work with me by over-facing him. I will probably be riding legs away for a while more just to be safe.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:04 am

20180713_195823.jpg
This is how Titan wants to go if he is not upside down
20180713_195823.jpg (141.38 KiB) Viewed 166 times

He wants to curl if I can get him to yield at all

20180713_195904.jpg
I would like him to be more out.
20180713_195904.jpg (195.54 KiB) Viewed 166 times

He has all kinds of stiffness and self protective responses. He is gaining weight and getting sassy.

Kimba and I have had better days. :(

musical comedy
500 post plus club

Postby musical comedy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:28 am

Chisamba wrote:He wants to curl if I can get him to yield at all
He has all kinds of stiffness and self protective responses. He is gaining weight and getting sassy.
I don't think the curling is a problem at this point. I don't worry about that issue. This is a big change for this horse, and I'd be happy with what you are getting. He looks to have a bit of a thin throat latch poll conformation which predisposes to being extra soft to the contact.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:41 am

musical comedy wrote:
Chisamba wrote:He wants to curl if I can get him to yield at all
I don't think the curling is a problem at this point. I don't worry about that issue. This is a big change for this horse, and I'd be happy with what you are getting. He looks to have a bit of a thin throat latch poll conformation which predisposes to being extra soft to the contact.

I agree, I am content that he will soften at all. When we started he would yank the rein if I took any contact. I am still longing twice a week. Light hack once a week and behaviour modification once or twice.

It is a big change for him.

Kirby's Keeper
Greenie

Postby Kirby's Keeper » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:19 am

Chisamba, considering what his previous job was and the short time you have had him, I think he is looking great. My mantra with a couple of students lately is "Ride the body and the neck and head will sort themselves out." By balancing and straightening his body in his correct tempo he will stop holding his top line and go to the bit. I think he is very handsome :-)
Proud member of the Ilks Club ;)

Kyra's Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:47 am

Chisamba, I think Titan looks good in the pics. To nitpick, yes he is a little curled but in such a short time, I would be happy with that, especially if his go- to posture is upside down.

I rode today and Kyra had her radar in search mode. She still isn't over her BFF moving (it has been 4 months :roll: ) so she was looking for her as soon as she set hoof on the track. She was lonely and calling. It is just funny as all get out. She tries to stifle it as she knows I would rather she not do that under saddle so it starts out this squeaky, squeal thing that finally ends in a funny little whinny. I have deemed it a squiwhinny :lol: . The first time I asked her to halt she was like trying to keep a wet noodle straight. When I tried to just get her to stop and stand, OH...you must want me to back up...will warp 2 do? NO...just stop and stand. So the first part of our ride was just to sort out the work ethic. It was there, we just had to have our please wait for me to ask you to do something discussion, AGAIN. I am sure we will have it over and over until she is over the Rainbow bridge. She is a very alpha mare when she wants to be.

Once that was sorted out I got some lovely rein backs...when asked for and our lateral work, we did shoulder-in--to volte--to haunches in. Her alignment feels quite good and she kept the tempo and forward with very little leg. Leg was only really needed to keep positioning so I was quite pleased with them. She feels more centered and even in the reins in the new bridle although it might be the exercises we have been doing. Since it is all at walk, I do short little spurts of collected or lateral work then let her into a free walk on a long rein. She has a nice pure walk so I am trying really hard not to muck it up.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Sue B
500 post plus club

Postby Sue B » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:39 pm

Susan: I'm glad I'm not the only one who's horse over thinks the halt! :lol: The other day rudy gave me some lovely reining-style (but at a walk) spins intertwined with backing up all because I asked him to stand still and then do 1 step of tof. I finally had to hop off and show him from the ground. He was like, "Really? That's all you want?" Goofball.

Dresseur, I hope you find your way out of your slump soon. Maybe chalk it up to summer heat doldrums.

Chisamba, that's what Rudy does. As his training advances, I try my best to keep my hands quiet and address his head carriage with seat and legs. Obviously, I'm not that good at it, but I am slowly making progress. It is very rewarding when a horse like that finally just takes your hand gently and confidently.

Heddy, jingles that your mare is not lame and quits her shenanigans.

Moutaineer, I can't wait for this heat to break too.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:05 am

20180715_010155.jpg
20180715_010155.jpg (15.66 KiB) Viewed 50 times
Today was lovely. Hot but a pleasant breeze. Only about 90 F. Kimba and Titanium went nicely.

Wierd photo attached because I like it.

Borrowed Freedom
Greenie

Postby Borrowed Freedom » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:56 pm

:oops: I know I haven't posted in ages but things have been so busy recently between work, riding and dancing.
So Delilah is officially starting to offer flying changes when asked, my trainer has had us playing around with starting to get her to do flying changes for a while now but generally up until now she would change her front legs then after cantering about half of the arena then change her back legs. In a previous lesson, she started changing front and back legs together but would throw a buck in (Delilah's favourite thing to do when uncertain is buck). Earlier this week she offered a proper flying change from right to left and I'm not sure which of us were more surprised. Wednesday she got worked on by the chiro so in my lesson yesterday instead of jumping as originally planned we worked on her changes in the big arena. I've actually also decided for the next few weeks we are working in one of the two jumping arenas as she tends to associate them with galloping so tends to start out explosive, and I want her to realise that fly leaping is not the way to get a gallop. Luckily she tends to only do one leap and then settles when she realises all that leap does is get drilled in walking in a relaxed frame without leaning :P

I definitely need some new pictures of her working, her trot is becoming stunning and her canter is also progressing well. We started asking her to stretch in the canter a few weeks ago and she really got the idea of stretching down without leaning or running off in the canter

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:55 pm

That is a neat photo Chisamba - Kind of ghostly.

I had a really lovely ride on Annabelle yesterday. The day before we did a lot of canter work, so I decided to go off by ourselves in the indoor and do some lateral work. Never even got to a canter, but she was feeling really lovely and soft in the bridle, and we got some nice LY and SF/SI. She is pretty good at hitting a 3-track shoulder in though it's lacking the collection and weight shift that we'll need to work on over the next couple years to show it at 2nd.

My Lauffer reins also arrived from the UK yesterday, so today was a lunging day trying them out. I forgot to bring the spare bit/headstall since her bridle doesn't lend itself well to being used with a cavesson, so I used the side rings to attach the reins and we got some nice work. I can see the wheels turning on how to pull herself together to get a better T/C transition within the confines of the SRs (which are not tight). I already had a set of Vienna reins that attach between the front legs but A) Annabelle will sometimes drop and curl and then leap in the air in a way that made me worried that she could catch a foot or knee in the slackened reins and B) I think the side attachments encourage a better overall outline.

So now that we are kitted out, I'm planning on lunging and doing in-hand work 2x a week.

Next Saturday we're doing a small schooling show - I've signed up for T1 and T3. It should be a lower-pressure environment and will be good for me to get out and ride more tests.
The UDBB member known as AQHA Hunter

Return to “Dressage Training”