Grass growing in arena

VBOpie
Herd Member

Grass growing in arena

Postby VBOpie » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:49 am

The arena where I board is in 1/2 of a grass pasture. The entire pasture is open, i.e., when a horse is turned out there they can get into the arena. The problem is that grass is starting to grow in the sand. Anyone have any ideas to kill the grass that won't harm the horses?

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Re: Grass growing in arena

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:39 am

Does the owner not want the grass in the arena? If it's not much, I can be pulled out by hand, or disc-ed, or dragged. Are the horses always in that pasture?

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:45 am

I dont mind grass in an outdoor if the footing is groomed and cut.

kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby kande50 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:24 am

VBOpie wrote:The arena where I board is in 1/2 of a grass pasture. The entire pasture is open, i.e., when a horse is turned out there they can get into the arena. The problem is that grass is starting to grow in the sand. Anyone have any ideas to kill the grass that won't harm the horses?

Either ride in the part of the arena where the grass is starting to grow and grind it up, or put up a temporary fence and confine the horses to that area until they kill the grass. Or just ride on it, because as long as it's growing up through sand the grass won't make it too slippery.

VBOpie
Herd Member

Postby VBOpie » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:25 am

Thanks for all the responses. Already been down that list. BO is not particularly cooperative about maintaining the "arena". Looks like we're stuck mowing the grass and riding on it. Hated to have to do that - grass will eventually cover the whole arena. Wanted to avoid this happening, as it happened at another place I boarded a few years back.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:27 pm

I think grass is great to ride on! Except if you get tracks worn in areas. Then it get tough to maneuver around occasionally.

DJR
Herd Member

Postby DJR » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:10 pm

When I get grass or weeds in my big outdoor sand ring, I do a combo of dragging it more frequently, hand-picking, and I may put down some weed-killer on the heavier patches.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:40 am

If you regularly drag your arena and its ridden in, it'll deal wth any grass sprouting. You may have to hand pull if it's gotten ahead of you. I don't do chemicals.
An attitude of gratitude brings opportunites.

Return to “Facilities & Transportation”