Accountability

A forum dedicated to getting the rider healthy and fit and ready to ride!!
Sue B
500 post plus club

Re: Accountability

Postby Sue B » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:39 pm

Good idea Chisamba, I will add that to my exercise ball sitting exercises. Come to think of it, there is a chart with seated exercises on my mom's wall, I should study those as well. I went for a walk last night and managed to keep the pace all the up to an "brisk" stroll for 20 minutes but only made it part way down the steep hill the road takes, and so I didn't get very far. I decided I should carry some soup cans when I walk and do arm stuff. Unfortunately, my back was totally unimpressed with my walk and kept me up much of the night. :x No point in getting mad though. :lol:

heddylamar
Herd Member

Postby heddylamar » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:56 pm

Sue B wrote:Unfortunately, my back was totally unimpressed with my walk and kept me up much of the night. :x

Rather than weight right now, I'd try resistance bands. Target sells a cheap set of resistance bands.

Another stretch to try is stand about 6-8" from a wall, feet shoulder width apart. Place your hands on the wall shoulder width apart (like you're going to do a pushup) and finger walk up the wall as far as you can reach, then back down. Do the same at 45 and 90 degrees. This will lengthen your spine and stretch the upper trap. Once you can use weight, you can continue this stretch using a full water bottle -- slowly roll it up the wall using both hands.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:15 am

I had my doctor's visit this week, I am happy to say all my health numbers have improved. Also, as much as I dislike clothing shopping , I have to refit the wardrobe, at least this time it's for smaller sizes.

heddylamar
Herd Member

Postby heddylamar » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:04 pm

Congrats Chisamba!

Have you tried something like Amazon wardrobe? You can order a box full of items, and only pay for/keep what works. I use Zappos similarly ... except you have to pay upfront, with free shipping on orders and returns. (I HATE shopping)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:25 am

heddylamar wrote:Congrats Chisamba!

Have you tried something like Amazon wardrobe? You can order a box full of items, and only pay for/keep what works. I use Zappos similarly ... except you have to pay upfront, with free shipping on orders and returns. (I HATE shopping)

it would only work if i did not have to return items i did not like, i am so bad at wrapping and shipping back, its worse than hanging up items, and i am shaped in a way that it is hard to see what would look good on my by looking at pictures

Tuddy
Herd Member

Postby Tuddy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:29 pm

Chisamba wrote:I had my doctor's visit this week, I am happy to say all my health numbers have improved. Also, as much as I dislike clothing shopping , I have to refit the wardrobe, at least this time it's for smaller sizes.

YAY!!!!!!

demi

Postby demi » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:09 pm

Is the hatred of shopping something related to horsepeople! I hate it, too. I will order stuff and if it looks bad or doesn’t fit, I just wear it anyway. I have even gone into stores and ended up with stuff that looks bad on me or doesn’t fit. Even when I was thin, I hated shopping. Oh well.

I can’t get away from the more healthful way of eating movement. Last month I spent a week with my mom in Michigan and my sister got me interested in a plan she and her husband are using. They have each lost over 30 lbs and sis really likes the plan. It’s THM (Trim, Healthy Mamas). I wont try to explain it here, but I think it is valuable, scientifically logical program based on the authors’ decades of personal dieting.

Then, I just got back from spending a week in New York with close friends who have been doing intermittent fasting for about a year. They are a married couple in their mid 30’s. They have never been overweight, but both had put on weight since they got married 16 years ago. They now both look fantastic! Not just slender, but very healthy looking. He started doing it because his work is very demanding and he was getting stress headaches and brain fog. Wife told him she would support him fully but NO WAY was she going to miss any meals! Well, after he started seeing huge improvements in his health, she started intermittent fasting and now they both do it regularly.

I have to make a plan...and then DO IT

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:17 pm

Well, now that I have my horse back and I've gained 10 lbs during and after the move (eep!) I guess I better get my act in gear. Somewhere in there I stopped doing the physiotherapy exercises that had helped me so much so I'm feeling really stiff and I've been eating terribly as evidenced by my weight gain.

Now it's time to start back up with the exercises, which unfortunately I probably need to start from scratch again and build my way up, and focus on healthier eating and reasonable portions.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:12 pm

Nothing lost nothing gained this week. I feel fitter but want to formalize my exercise

heddylamar
Herd Member

Postby heddylamar » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:44 pm

This morning’s half is done. Another in a few weeks :)

heddylamar
Herd Member

Postby heddylamar » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:35 pm

demi wrote:Is the hatred of shopping something related to horsepeople! I hate it, too. I will order stuff and if it looks bad or doesn’t fit, I just wear it anyway. I have even gone into stores and ended up with stuff that looks bad on me or doesn’t fit. Even when I was thin, I hated shopping. Oh well

Stitch Fix, Zappos, and Nordstrom (free shipping and returns on the latter two) have revived my wardrobe. If I could live in running/riding clothes year-round, I'd be happy, but I occasionally have to go into offices or meet with clients face to face ;)

For the rest -- except kitchen/food stuff, which I like shopping for -- I either order from Amazon or, if I can't find it, tell my MIL exactly what I want. Seriously. She likes to shop for hours and hours. :shock:

Dqwannabe
Greenie

Postby Dqwannabe » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:34 pm

Hi, gang! I need to climb back on this wagon, too. Every morning on my drive to work, I pump myself up to eat right, work out when I get home. Then, on my way home I'm exhausted and all I can think about is getting the horses in and collapsing with a glass of wine. Or four.
SO has been cleaning my barn almost every weekday and I find myself hoping that the stalls will again be done when I get home. That has always been my main source of movement and exercise (I sit at a computer all day at work).
My workout of preference is lifting weights and I have a more than sufficient setup in my basement, I just have to USE them!
So.... I'm coming here to help motivate myself and be accountable. My goals this week are just to get down to the basement and get started on my weights (I follow the StrongLifts 5x5 program). For this week, I'll be able to lift every night because I'll essentially just be working on form with light weight (even the per-workout increases won't add up to much the first week). AND, cut out the wine. I apparently can't do moderation (a topic for another thread, I'm thinking).

I lost 40 pounds a couple years ago using the My Fitness Pal app (basically, calories in/calories out). I guess I need to add logging to my goals, huh?
Sigh...

Happy Monday everybody! Let's kick some butt!!

Return to “Rider health and fitness”