issue with forward facing trailer?

greenholmeshandy
Novice

issue with forward facing trailer?

Postby greenholmeshandy » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:43 am

As I am based in the UK the trailer options are vary limited. I previously used an Ifor Williams double trailer. Pony jumped the breast bar at a motorway services , climbed up and along the inside of the roof and ended up facing backwards. Once back home I took the partitions out and replaced with a single breast bar so she had the full width of the trailer. The trailer had a front window and two small side windows in front of pony head. Link to this type of trailer.

http://www.towinghorsetrailers.co.uk/trailer/1063

As the trailer was starting to look a little elderly with the side panels becoming warped (fibreboard took in water) I upgraded to a brand new Cheval Libtre single horse trailer. Its aluminium sided, with two side windows in front of the head and sliding windows all the way down the sides and a back mesh roller above the back ramp. It is 30 cm (15 inches) narrower than my double trailer. Link below to the trailer model (not the dealership I used)

https://www.nwtrailers.co.uk/touring-on ... c8QAvD_BwE

Pony was fine for about two months and then started to get increasing hot when in the trailer. I have been in it twice when pulled over for a rest on longer journeys and her back end was shaking . I noted that she was turning to look at traffic going past through the side windows and have covered these up for now. She did travel back better from the event.

The only other thing I can think of is that the distributor I bought it from had omitted to include the spare wheel, they retro fitted one after two months which coincides with the issues starting. I had the trailer independently checked over and all that could be found was that the spare had been fitted too high on the planking to the trailer sides and without washers so it vibrated, a washer under the front ramp also vibrated. Other than that the trailer is 100% sound.

She loads happily. But I am really worried about this and frightened that she might try to turn round and jump out. Any suggestions welcome! I will hopefully be doing a test run this Sunday if I am well enough to drive but currently of sick with a chest infection so merrily winding myself up!
formerly UDBB user known as Brychensmum

Tuddy
Herd Member

Re: issue with forward facing trailer?

Postby Tuddy » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:24 pm

Is there a way she can stand backwards while travelling in your new trailer? Do you keep her tied with quick release snaps in the trailer?

greenholmeshandy
Novice

Re: issue with forward facing trailer?

Postby greenholmeshandy » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:30 am

Hi Tully it isn't designed for a backward facing horse and I think she would be able to jump out of the back ramp if she tried really hard. I usually use a normal lead rope but have just bought two with quick release clips. she has been happy facing forward with my last trailer provided she has lots of room. There are a few sideways slant load trailers and back facing ones on the UK market but they are too heavy for my tow car and also too wide to fit up and down the track to where I park it at the stable where I keep my horse and trailer.
formerly UDBB user known as Brychensmum

Return to “Facilities & Transportation”