Tack room ideas?

Flight
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Tack room ideas?

Postby Flight » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:21 am

My new shed with stables/tack room and feed room is almost finished!
I have a room about 4 x 3 metres with ply walls and wondering how best to set it up. Does anyone have any favourite things for their tack room?

Josette

Re: Tack room ideas?

Postby Josette » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:43 am

I've recycled former kitchen top cabinets to store small items - liniments, shampoos, first aide creams, etc. It is so hard to keep stuff free of dust so enclosed cabinets versus open shelves works for me. You can place supplement containers on open shelve since they are used daily. Likewise, I also have a short lower kitchen counter top which is useful when you need a table top. Again, a few drawers are handy for little items.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:20 pm

If my math is correct, that's about 9x13 feet. Is this going to be only a tack room or a combined feed/tack room. Later I will try to get you a pic of my tack room which is a similar size. My feed room is small (mistake) and really pretty unfinished, but it does the job for me. My tack room has a door/stairs that leads to my loft. A real pita because I'm always dragging hay in the room.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:34 pm

Are rodents a problem, I design differently if they are.

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:27 pm

Just as a tack room, the feed room is separate. Would love to see a pic MC. A loft sounds so cool!

Haven't though of kitchen cabinets, that would be useful.
I expect there is potential for a mouse problem. Surprisingly I haven't had too much of a problem yet. This room in the shed is lined but they may get under the door.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:32 pm

Rodents will get in, no matter what. Mice only need a 5mm gap!

I use a combination:
a large wooden box (originally used to deliver some type of medical equipment) for long-term storage, as it is rodent-proof but not completely airtight
old non-working chest freezer (700L) to store feed in
1 large repurposed kitchen cabinet (one cupboard and two deep drawers, and we added old cabinet doors as "lids" to turn the space that was for the hob into a useable storage space)
hooks/nails on the wall to hang halters etc (but not leather anything)
a couple of large clear plastic containers with lids (great for first-aid type items as you can see everything, 40-60L size).

In my float I have a large cupboard with saddle rack and hooks for my bridles. It is rodent proof so all leather that is "in use" goes there. Plus a cover rack to stash fleece rugs on.

I also have a bit of small stuff stored in a small set of drawers in the tack room, too (originally bedroom furniture), as well as a bunch of house furniture stacked up, as my tack room is the only storage space we have at the moment!

heddylamar
500 post plus club

Postby heddylamar » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:28 am

At our future place, I'm planning cabinets, cubbies, and drawers, with doors on everything to keep dust and grime out. Drawers big enough to store clean coolers, sheets, and blankets. If there's room, double the number of bridle and saddle spots you need for spare bridles/halters/breast collars, wet pads, etc. Hooks to hang jackets, half chaps, helmets, spurs, bits, and girths on the wall. Wire baskets for horse boots and dirty wraps/laundry. A set of those hinged blanket hangers that only catch the fronts to hang dirty coolers (stick dirty blankets in the stall area). Designated cubbies for boots, and spot to store leather cleaning supplies. And a whip holder.

Return to “The Observation Lounge”