Video discussion thoughts on this work? Daniel Dockx on Stretching and Collection

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Ryeissa
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Video discussion thoughts on this work? Daniel Dockx on Stretching and Collection

Postby Ryeissa » Thu May 21, 2020 8:19 pm

This is a 7yo doing PSG. Curious what people think about this short video- positive and negatives.
Daniel Dockx on Stretching and Collection

https://www.facebook.com/DressageToday/ ... 040320262/
Its also on the dressage today video page, Free for everyone to see this short clip
Thanks! :D
Last edited by Ryeissa on Sat May 23, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mari
Herd Member

Re: Video discssion: thoughts on this work? Daniel Dockx on Stretching and Collection

Postby mari » Fri May 22, 2020 8:31 am

I was a bit confused when he asked for "racing" trot, and then nearly immediately said it was a bit fast :lol: Took me a minute to catch on that he meant "rising" trot.

I like it. The horse seemed adjustable even in the long frame, which is something not everyone can get right.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Kelo
Herd Member

Re: Video discssion: thoughts on this work? Daniel Dockx on Stretching and Collection

Postby Kelo » Fri May 22, 2020 2:08 pm

Looks like nice work with a crazy talented horse to me?

Tanga
Herd Member

Postby Tanga » Fri May 22, 2020 5:19 pm

I think the warm up is fine, especially for certain kinds of horses like that that don't naturally move like that and are more up.

My issue is a 7 year old competing PSG and I-1. The bones in the spine don't close until 6 or 7, which means collected work at much of any level shouldn't be done before then, and I think it's a bad idea to chance a horse having issues from pushing them too young to do this just because they have "natural" talent. No matter how natural, that doesn't change the real time it takes to condition everything properly, and just going on talent I think is going to cause soundness issues and shorten their sound life.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri May 22, 2020 6:16 pm

Well, my comments would tend to focus on the rider. I would like to see her improve her chair seat tendency and also learn how to influence the horse's shape with less hand and much less use of W I D E hands. Wide hands are a crutch for baby horses and new riders---and they should not be something used routinely.

The horse is lovely, typey, and seems very kind. Nice walk for the breed. I don't know if the horse is competing at PSG or "trained" to it. It sounds like part of a sales/marketing program (so it might actually be just schooling PSG bits and pieces). Tanga, I do see a lot of horses from Spain and Portugal presented (or marketed) at that level for sales and export.

Tanga
Herd Member

Postby Tanga » Fri May 22, 2020 7:39 pm

peidmontfields He says he competed him two months ago PSG and I-1. I get the whole sales/marketing thing. It bothers me that people think horses pushed to this level so young is good for them in any way. I know the younger you push them, the more money you make, but like racing, I think none of it is good for the horse.

Tanga
Herd Member

Postby Tanga » Sat May 23, 2020 8:40 pm

Ryeissa I'm guessing they are doing this warmup because of the breed and the way the horse is built. They can get much too like a carriage horse, so lots of loose and low probably helps. I did this for me tight young horse for a long time, but don't do it anymore because she wants to stay there. These kinds of horses tend to the opposite, so I'm guessing that's why they do it.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat May 23, 2020 8:41 pm

piedmontfields wrote:Well, my comments would tend to focus on the rider. I would like to see her improve her chair seat tendency and also learn how to influence the horse's shape with less hand and much less use of W I D E hands. Wide hands are a crutch for baby horses and new riders---and they should not be something used routinely.

The horse is lovely, typey, and seems very kind. Nice walk for the breed. I don't know if the horse is competing at PSG or "trained" to it. It sounds like part of a sales/marketing program (so it might actually be just schooling PSG bits and pieces). Tanga, I do see a lot of horses from Spain and Portugal presented (or marketed) at that level for sales and export.

I agree, except I don't think she is really influencing him, there isn't much connection or shaping. Maybe there isn't supposed to be since it's warmup, but in stretching I want my horse to be off the forehand. I'm not sure why the rider is so all over with the hands, since this is a good rider.
I think the chair seat is throwing off the horse a touch, but he is so nice that he covers up a lot.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat May 23, 2020 8:43 pm

Tanga wrote:Ryeissa I'm guessing they are doing this warmup because of the breed and the way the horse is built. They can get much too like a carriage horse, so lots of loose and low probably helps. I did this for me tight young horse for a long time, but don't do it anymore because she wants to stay there. These kinds of horses tend to the opposite, so I'm guessing that's why they do it.

Yeah, I do this too, but it's not an effective stretch. Its not what they are doing, it's how they are doing it.

This is too loose for my taste, but to each their own. Definitely a talented pair, just some weird aspects that they don't need..... The horse is more on his forehand at the end, and should be improved. I like a loose horse with some more tone and direction from the rider

Does anyone know what the wide hands are actually doing mechnically? I get making a chute with the hands, but that is not really happening here since the forearms are moving so much. I sincerely don't know the foundation for this theory wise, that is what prompted me. The more stable the hands are the better the horse will be.....and the forearms and elbows (as we know) plays a very key role in the seat and balance of the rider ..... Softness isn't about movement.... its about quiet stability where the horse is moldable, pliable and listening.... course my horse is all over the place flexible, so if I did this on my horse (the loosey goosey hands and seat) there would be one shoulder in one county, the hips in another.....

Agree about the chair seat. Would be curious how the horse changes if that is fixed.

Return to “Dressage Training”